TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-06-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
headless chicken

Operating w/o coax and only 1 CableCARD

I just bought a Roamio Plus and upgraded the HD to 3TB to replace my S3 OLED. The Series3 was the only Tivo in my house up until now, so I only have 2 CableCARDS to operate it.

Can the S3 still be operational with just one CC? Right now it's not functioning because I also removed the coax to plug into the Roamio. I have the units side by side so that they're both within reach of my router.

I was hoping to transfer shows from the S3 over to the Roamio on the wired ethernet connection, but perhaps this is not possible if the S3 does not have (1) the coax connection and (2) a second CC?

Do I need to temporarily obtain a third CC to do this? My other option is to move the Roamio upstairs where another TV/coax connection is available. However, this would significantly impact the transfer speeds as this unit would no longer be on a wired connection--unless I found a 200ft ethernet cable.

I'm sure someone else must have been in a similar situation. Kindly advise me on the best approach to proceed with transferring my S3 recordings to the Roamio based on my setup.
headless chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by headless chicken View Post
I just bought a Roamio Plus and upgraded the HD to 3TB to replace my S3 OLED. The Series3 was the only Tivo in my house up until now, so I only have 2 CableCARDS to operate it.

Can the S3 still be operational with just one CC? Right now it's not functioning because I also removed the coax to plug into the Roamio. I have the units side by side so that they're both within reach of my router.

I was hoping to transfer shows from the S3 over to the Roamio on the wired ethernet connection, but perhaps this is not possible if the S3 does not have (1) the coax connection and (2) a second CC?

Do I need to temporarily obtain a third CC to do this? My other option is to move the Roamio upstairs where another TV/coax connection is available. However, this would significantly impact the transfer speeds as this unit would no longer be on a wired connection--unless I found a 200ft ethernet cable.

I'm sure someone else must have been in a similar situation. Kindly advise me on the best approach to proceed with transferring my S3 recordings to the Roamio based on my setup.

As long as your TCD648250 either has a lifetime subscription or you continue to pay the monthly subscription fee or renew a 1 year or 3 year subscription, it only needs to be plugged into the wall socket for power and be connected to your home network in order to copy the shows on it (on which your cable company did not set the anti-copy bit) to a computer or another TiVo on your account. Doesn't have to be receiving channels or even be hooked up to a video display device.

The S3 needs no cable cards for its two over the air tuners, but needs one for each cable tuner.

I assume this means that only one card will mean only one of the two cable tuners in it will work, although if your cable company still offers any analog cable channels, it would be interesting to see if the non-carded cable tuner could pickup those while the same channel number is re-directing the carded tuner to the digital cable channel.

You do not mention whether the two cable cards that were in the S3 are S cards or M cards.

Because the original S3 was released before the M card spec was finalized, it turns out that it can use S or M cards but still has to have one per tuner.

In other words, on that original S3, the M card emulates an S card.

I think the Roamios only have one cable card slot and expect to have an M card used with them--I don't even know how they'd react to an S card.

If you don't have a lifetime sub on that S3, you should have the leverage, having just bought an S5, to get the $99 lifetime deal on the S3, although you may have to play CSR roulette, calling back several times until you get a Customer Service Representative who'll go along with that.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #3
headless chicken

Thanks for the info, unitron. Now I know it just needs to be plugged in to the power source and the home network and I need not worry about the coax or CableCARDs.

I have a Product Lifetime Service on the unit which is running 2 Motorola Multistream cards. I'm aware this model can accept either 2 single or multi-stream cards...I just wish they had modified the software so it could operate with just one card, considering the whopping $5/mo FiOS now charges for CableCARD. That (along with a few extra tuners and the ability to upgrade beyond 1TB) would make this model absolutely perfect.

You know, I was planning on selling the S3 but I've reconsidered. I just love the menus and interface so much, not to mention the box itself is quite gorgeous and high end looking when compared to other Tivo models, even amongst the Series3 line. I think I'll give the box to my mom who could really benefit from the large typeface and intuitive menus. I wasn't happy with the Premiere XL's menus/interface, and the Roamio hasn't improved much in that department.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by headless chicken View Post
Thanks for the info, unitron. Now I know it just needs to be plugged in to the power source and the home network and I need not worry about the coax or CableCARDs.

I have a Product Lifetime Service on the unit which is running 2 Motorola Multistream cards. I'm aware this model can accept either 2 single or multi-stream cards...I just wish they had modified the software so it could operate with just one card, considering the whopping $5/mo FiOS now charges for CableCARD. That (along with a few extra tuners and the ability to upgrade beyond 1TB) would make this model absolutely perfect.

You know, I was planning on selling the S3 but I've reconsidered. I just love the menus and interface so much, not to mention the box itself is quite gorgeous and high end looking when compared to other Tivo models, even amongst the Series3 line. I think I'll give the box to my mom who could really benefit from the large typeface and intuitive menus. I wasn't happy with the Premiere XL's menus/interface, and the Roamio hasn't improved much in that department.
There's just something about the thermometer front TiVo that gives it a charm the others lack.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
headless chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
There's just something about the thermometer front TiVo that gives it a charm the others lack.
Haha. Don't like the aesthetic? I'm not the biggest fan of that silver/black thermometer look, but I love the OLED display. It's the only clock in my TV room and being able to see what's recording without switching on the Tivo is also a very neat feature.