TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-29-2014, 02:53 PM   #1
ldarcangelo

Will Mini Price drop again?

I just recently got a Roamio basic and i was excited to read all the articles about the mini being sold for as low as $85 in some cases with lifetime service. It seems most of these deals have dried up. The best I can see right now is at Frys.com for $119. With Tivo holding steady on the mini with product lifetime service at $150 do you think we will see any of these deals come back either now or for black friday?
ldarcangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:56 PM   #2
tarheelblue32

The $85 Mini lifetime deals were more of an accident. They only occurred during a short period of transition from the old Mini pricing model to the new pricing model, and the retailers didn't catch on to the pricing change right away.

$119 for a Mini is a really good price. I would not expect to see any lower price than that.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 03:04 PM   #3
ldarcangelo

That's to bad. Sucks to have missed the boat. I noticed on slick deals they had posted a deal from amazon for $85 slightly earlier last month. Also yoyo.com seemed to be selling them for roughly 100$ the beginning of this month... So sad.

http://slickdeals.net/f/7187140-tivo...mazon-ymmv?v=1

http://slickdeals.net/f/7240806-tivo...com-100-79?v=1
Old 10-29-2014, 03:23 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

$119 is not bad at all when you consider that previously it was $85 for the unit and then $150 for the service making it $235 total.

This is how TiVo should have priced them from day one.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 03:38 PM   #5
ldarcangelo

I still feel that price is to high. Something is only worth what someone will pay for it. When Tivo attempts to charge $150 for it out the door, I doubt many people will be interested. Correct me if I'm wrong but the mini is basically a streaming device that integrates with the mini? Other streaming devices are far less expensive. (Chromecast, FireStick, Roku? I follow your logic but I doubt they will move many units at the $150 price point or even the $120 price point when the general public knows that similar streaming devices sell for $35? I realize I'm being flippant comparing the two devices but at their cores aren't they the same? With the exception of a Remote and MoCa? Thoughts?
Old 10-29-2014, 03:49 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

The Mini is an extension of your TiVo. It offers the full TiVo experience in another room. Because it needs to run the full TiVo UI and stream shows in MPEG-2 it has more expensive hardware then a typical streaming only box.

That being said there are some rumors that TiVo is developing apps for devices like the Roku or FireTV that would allow them to stream shows to another TV. If $120 is too much for you then you might want to hold out for that.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:49 PM   #7
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldarcangelo View Post
I still feel that price is to high. Something is only worth what someone will pay for it. When Tivo attempts to charge $150 for it out the door, I doubt many people will be interested. Correct me if I'm wrong but the mini is basically a streaming device that integrates with the mini? Other streaming devices are far less expensive. (Chromecast, FireStick, Roku? I follow your logic but I doubt they will move many units at the $150 price point or even the $120 price point when the general public knows that similar streaming devices sell for $35? I realize I'm being flippant comparing the two devices but at their cores aren't they the same? With the exception of a Remote and MoCa? Thoughts?
I bought 2 Minis w/lifetime about a year ago for $236 each. For me, it was a good deal, since I used them to replace 2 TWC cable boxes that were costing me about $12/month each. So if you are using them to replace a cable box that has a rental fee, the Mini is a good deal. If you are just using it as an internet streaming device, there are much better options.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:06 PM   #8
ldarcangelo

That's interesting, I didn't know they ran the full UI. I figured it was a slimmed down version of the HD Tivo menu. I agree also with the comment about not having to pay the cable jerks $10 a month or so for a set top box. I think I'll still hold out until the price goes to $100 as my house is working with MoCa and it would be nice to have something that easily integrates... So no one thinks a black friday deal might happen on these?
Old 10-29-2014, 04:30 PM   #9
csell

Question - So the price now is anywhere between $120 and $150 but includes lifetime service. But I've read several places where it says "through Jan 6th". Now does that mean after Jan 6th, these prices with the lifetime are no longer included?
csell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 04:33 PM   #10
ldarcangelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by csell View Post
Question - So the price now is anywhere between $120 and $150 but includes lifetime service. But I've read several places where it says "through Jan 6th". Now does that mean after Jan 6th, these prices with the lifetime are no longer included?
I don't think so, I think Tivo is going to release some sort of new Tivo mini. My hope is this will drive the regular Tivo Mini's price way down. I would imagine the newly Tivoneered mini would have a higher price point and won't include lifetime service.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:33 PM   #11
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by csell View Post
Possibly, but I doubt it. I really don't think they will go back to service fees for the Mini. They seem to have committed to no Mini service fees. The January 6th date may just be the release date for the "new" Mini, which might be priced higher than the "old" Mini.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:35 PM   #12
ldarcangelo

Any idea what features the new Mini might have / would it be worth the wait?
Old 10-29-2014, 04:36 PM   #13
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Any idea what features the new Mini might have / would it be worth the wait?
The most likely added feature will be the RF Roamio remote rather than the IR Premiere remote.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:54 PM   #14
ldarcangelo

That would be nice. It's an awesome feature of the Roamio. I'd pay $250 per mini if they would start to support DLNA from my NAS. PyTivo Kind of does this but not as good as it could be.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:29 PM   #15
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I have a discount code that I need to use, so I tried to apply it to a Mini - it wouldn't take. I called customer service and they told me the current Mini was already at a special discounted price and a discount code could not be used.

Whether or not TiVo will call it a service fee - I do expect the Price to go up once the updated TiVo comes out.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:43 PM   #16
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
That would be nice. It's an awesome feature of the Roamio. I'd pay $250 per mini if they would start to support DLNA from my NAS. PyTivo Kind of does this but not as good as it could be.
Have you seen the Plex app?

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=512505
Old 10-29-2014, 06:46 PM   #17
StrynBean

If I buy the Mini through Amazon or any other place, does that include the lifetime service?
StrynBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:48 PM   #18
trip1eX

$119 is great. Jump on that. Most people got in for $100 during the switchover. $119 is only $20 more and a good deal below list and far better than all those who bought them for $250 a year ago.

Doubtful it falls anytime soon since they just dropped the price. But they may release a new Mini this January with updated remote and rf ...

Not sure if the price would go up then or not. But probably wouldn't fall more.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:27 PM   #19
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrynBean View Post
If I buy the Mini through Amazon or any other place, does that include the lifetime service?
Yes. All Minis can now be activated with lifetime service for free, at least until January 6.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:24 PM   #20
shwru980r

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but the mini is basically a streaming device that integrates with the mini? Other streaming devices are far less expensive. (Chromecast, FireStick, Roku? I follow your logic but I doubt they will move many units at the $150 price point or even the $120 price point when the general public knows that similar streaming devices sell for $35?
The mini is essentially a plug and play HD cable box that you own. How much extra would your cable company charge you per month for an extra HD cable box? I think the mini pays for itself in about a year. None of the other devices you mention will access your cable TV programming directly and you also need to pay an additional monthly subscription to a streaming service like netflix to watch anything.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:48 PM   #21
scottfll954

I just picked up one at best buy for 114.99...

they matched SAMS CLUB...

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/tivo-mi....ip?navAction=

Last edited by scottfll954 : 11-02-2014 at 07:48 AM. Reason: put in a link
scottfll954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 12:24 AM   #22
ldarcangelo

Good find... I'll give this a shot and see if it works.