TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-25-2014, 06:30 PM   #1
dochawk

A Roamio, a Mini, a Netgear Router, and an Airport Express

I'm trying to fit the pieces I have here while waiting for apple to update the airport extreme to usb3.

So it's a Netgear WNR2000v2, which is g/n, but only one at a time. There is a brother 5370dw which is b/g, so pulls the whole world down to g. There is no option of connecting it by wire.

I would prefer to have the WAN come into the airport, plug the netgear into it, and then the roamio & mini into the netgear. This leaves the tivo & roamio happy, n for the laptops, ipads and phones, but no talking between the printer and the laptops.

I assume that there is some way to turn the netgear into a simple pass-through for the wired connections--but will this run into the problem of minis not liking switches? (and I don't even remember what it's called; I just know that I used to run into it during other setups).

At the moment, I have the airport plugged into the netgear, which lets me have wireless n, but not talk to the printer on the wireless netgear.

There is a cat5 running from the living room with the roamio and WAN to the bedroom with the mini.

Is there a sane way to handle this until apple puts usb3 in?
Old 10-30-2014, 10:19 PM   #2
dochawk

*bump*

Anyone?
Old 10-31-2014, 12:18 AM   #3
Marty1781

Quote:
Originally Posted by dochawk View Post
I'm trying to fit the pieces I have here while waiting for apple to update the airport extreme to usb3.

So it's a Netgear WNR2000v2, which is g/n, but only one at a time. There is a brother 5370dw which is b/g, so pulls the whole world down to g. There is no option of connecting it by wire.

I would prefer to have the WAN come into the airport, plug the netgear into it, and then the roamio & mini into the netgear. This leaves the tivo & roamio happy, n for the laptops, ipads and phones, but no talking between the printer and the laptops.

I assume that there is some way to turn the netgear into a simple pass-through for the wired connections--but will this run into the problem of minis not liking switches? (and I don't even remember what it's called; I just know that I used to run into it during other setups).

At the moment, I have the airport plugged into the netgear, which lets me have wireless n, but not talk to the printer on the wireless netgear.

There is a cat5 running from the living room with the roamio and WAN to the bedroom with the mini.

Is there a sane way to handle this until apple puts usb3 in?
Not quite sure why you are waiting for USB3 in an Extreme. Sure the Extreme is a nice router but there are other routers that are currently available now with USB3 that are equal to and/or more powerful than the Extreme. I would just recommend going with one of those.

However, if you really want to wait for a USB3 Extreme, you have a couple of options with your current equipment. As you stated, you can try turning your Netgear into a simple ethernet switch (should be a setting in the Netgear's menu to accomplish this) and connecting that to the Express. If you are unable to accomplish that, you can simply buy a switch from Amazon (just avoid the ones with "Green" power-saving technology as those seem to be the ones that the Minis sometimes have trouble with). By converting the Netgear into a simple switch or simply buying a switch, it will keep all your devices that are plugged into it on the same subnet as those devices that are connected wirelessly (and via hardwire) to the Express. Thus, your devices would then be able to talk to each other. I use the following switch with my Mini and it works fine:

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-SE2800.../dp/B004TLIVBG

For the printer, you can plug it into the USB port on the Express, a free ethernet port on the Netgear, or connect it wirelessly via it's internal network card. If the printer is not close enough to be connected via hard wire to the Express and you want a faster wireless connection than 802.11b/g, you can purchase a wireless bridge such as the following: http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Wirele.../dp/B0090DX8O8

Good luck!
Marty1781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:46 AM   #4
trip1eX

not really a need for usb3 on a wireless router. not many are going to max out usb2 speed over wifi even with AC.
trip1eX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:05 PM   #5
dochawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty1781 View Post
Not quite sure why you are waiting for USB3 in an Extreme. Sure the Extreme is a nice router but there are other routers that are currently available now with USB3 that are equal to and/or more powerful than the Extreme. I would just recommend going with one of those.
Having airports at both home and office goes a long way on the VPN. And having dealt with many over the years, I'm willing to give up configurability I don't need for the "just works" [OK, why I buy apple and why I have tivo have a lot in common . . . ]

Also, the airport will be that much less grief with time machine.

Quote:
However, if you really want to wait for a USB3 Extreme, you have a couple of options with your current equipment. As you stated, you can try turning your Netgear into a simple ethernet switch (should be a setting in the Netgear's menu to accomplish this) and connecting that to the Express.
As I've been reading this subforum, I've gotten the distinct impression that switches were a problem for the Roamio with Mini, and is explicitly not supported by Tivo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1eX View Post
not really a need for usb3 on a wireless router. not many are going to max out usb2 speed over wifi even with AC.
maxing out USB2 is common on my desktop when doing a large backup. And it took 50 (yes, fifty!) hours to initially encrypt the blank 2tb drive before writing data. And, of course, there will be times where the connection is by ethernet. Large drives and USB2 just don't mix well.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:45 PM   #6
Marty1781

Quote:
Originally Posted by dochawk View Post
As I've been reading this subforum, I've gotten the distinct impression that switches were a problem for the Roamio with Mini, and is explicitly not supported by Tivo.
Keep in mind that its people who are having technical issues that make up the overwhelming majority of those who post on forums like these so it can give a really distorted view of any potential issue. Just because something isn't supported doesn't mean it won't work. For instance, tons of people on this forum connect their Mini using a wireless bridge without issue and that's not officially supported by Tivo either. I'm willing to bet that Tivo doesn't support switches simply because it's a step in the chain that they can't control and doing so would flood their technical support lines with calls that they would be unable to resolve.

Again, I use a switch (and I'm willing to guess so do many, many others) and its not an issue. Just avoid those with "green power" technology and you should be fine. From what I've read, it seems to be a matter of whether or not the switch honors the data prioritization flag. My guess is that the built-in switch that is in most routers is going to honor it (as opposed to an off the shelf green-power ethernet switch). Therefore, you just should have to figure out the correct the settings for turning the Netgear into a switch (likely involves disabling the Netgear's DHCP server, etc) or simply buy a relatively inexpensive non-green power switch from Amazon or wherever.

Last edited by Marty1781 : 10-31-2014 at 06:52 PM.
Marty1781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 02:07 PM   #7
jmbach

A Roamio, a Mini, a Netgear Router, and an Airport Express

Well have the Express plugged into the WAN and the Netgear plugged into the Express. If the Netgear does not have a DHCP pass-through option then plug it in the LAN port of the Netgear. (alternatively, consider researching for alternative firmware for the router that has a DHCP pass-through option) If you do that you will need to give the LAN side of the Netgear a fixed IP on your network and exclude it from the DHCP of the Express. Everything should see each other on your network. Caveats: use different ssid for Netgear and Express but not for the 2.4 and 5Ghz frequency of the Express. Use WPA2 and avoid TKIP. Consider specifying the channels manually for your units especially for 2.4Ghz frequency and using ones that are far apart on the spectrum. Might get a WiFi analyzer app for your phone to check which channels are being used by your neighbors to help pick your channels to avoid interference.

On the other hand,unless you are doing massive printing,you probably will not bring the whole wireless network down to a crawl. I have a g printer on my network and monitoring connection speeds,they are in the n speed almost all the time.

Last edited by jmbach : 11-02-2014 at 02:15 PM.
jmbach is offline   Reply With Quote