TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-11-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
atrac

Anyone going to watch "Drop Dead Diva?"

I saw the commercial for this and found it interesting. I was already sold on it and now have learned that Margaret Cho is in it. Nice!

I'm guessing this is fodder for the TCF, but hey, I think it might be a nice diversion!

It basically looks like Ugly Betty + Switch + Legally Blond. I liked all three.

It airs tomorrow night (Sunday) on Lifetime.
atrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 06:15 PM   #2
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob

I'm pretty sick of all the commercials for this program. After seeing the commercials a few dozen times a day for weeks, I'm beginning to hate this show sight unseen. I'll just be glad when it begins airing and the commercial onslaught ends.
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 03:11 PM   #3
sieglinde

I couldn't even finish reading the review in the LA Times so put me down as a no.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:42 AM   #4
atrac

Well, I liked it -- but didn't love it. I was impressed with the lead, Brooke Elliott. And I do think the show has potential.

What I think would have helped pacing wise is a 90 minute premiere. The show felt rushed.
Spoiler:
I would have liked more time spent on her reaction to being put into a different body. She seemed to get over it quickly and move right into story development. I would have preferred more character development first.

And it was SO nice to see
Spoiler:
Susan Walters as the frail woman getting a divorce. I almost didn't recognize her at first -- and she cleaned up so nicely that I could see she is aging VERY well.

Finally,
Spoiler:
I think they went for more drama than humor. I was expecting more slapstick humor and less drama. And another Law Firm show? I would have preferred a different setting.

I would have created an episode specific thread, but I'm guessing the show either:

A) won't last long
B) won't garner enough interest here to even bother with any more threads beyond this one. :P
C)
Spoiler:
just thought my post needed one more spoiler tag..as if it didn't have enough already

Old 07-13-2009, 11:26 AM   #5
Marc
Now Legally Married

TC CLUB MEMBER
My "PILOT" wishlist caught this show and I was glad that it did. I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to next week's episode.

The obvious person to compare Brooke Elliott with is Camryn Mannheim, both due to being a plus-sized woman and working in a law firm (back in the LA Law days), but I found Elliott to be much more enjoyable to watch. She wasn't overly serious and played some of the humor well.

The story has more of an interesting premise than I would have guessed it to be, but I didn't care for some of the obvious personality shifts and would have preferred that the influences between Deb and Jane would be somewhat more subtle rather than making her look like someone with multiple personality disorder.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:58 AM   #6
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrac View Post
and now have learned that Margaret Cho is in it.
That's an immediate PASS por moi
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:50 PM   #7
Alfer
WOOSAH!

A BIG no here.
Alfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:55 PM   #8
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

I forgot this was on. But luckily ( or not, we will see) my TiVo didn't and recorded it last night on the spare room as a suggestion.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:14 AM   #9
Enrique

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
My "PILOT" wishlist caught this show and I was glad that it did. I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to next week's episode.
+1 The most enjoyable pilot(IMHO) in years for me. I have big hopes for this show, I hope it lives up to them.

A++ so far.
Enrique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:15 PM   #10
IJustLikeTivo
TiVo Forum Special Member

Quote:

The obvious person to compare Brooke Elliott with is Camryn Mannheim, both due to being a plus-sized woman and working in a law firm (back in the LA Law days), but I found Elliott to be much more enjoyable to watch. She wasn't overly serious and played some of the humor well.

The story has more of an interesting premise than I would have guessed it to be, but I didn't care for some of the obvious personality shifts and would have preferred that the influences between Deb and Jane would be somewhat more subtle rather than making her look like someone with multiple personality disorder.
Nitpic, the Practice....

Has potential. I do think it's odd how quickly she adjusted to the new size.
IJustLikeTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:11 PM   #11
Marc
Now Legally Married

TC CLUB MEMBER
Thank you for catching that! I typed LA Law, but it didn't feel right since the tone of that show wasn't what I was remembering, and I couldn't remember The Practice.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:49 PM   #12
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Love love love Margaret Cho-hope she is utilized more as the series goes on...

Boris Pecker!
Old 07-15-2009, 06:23 PM   #13
UTV2TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
I'm pretty sick of all the commercials for this program. After seeing the commercials a few dozen times a day for weeks, I'm beginning to hate this show sight unseen. I'll just be glad when it begins airing and the commercial onslaught ends.

Why are you watching commercials? This is the TiVo Community Forum you know...
UTV2TiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:40 PM   #14
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTV2TiVo View Post
Why are you watching commercials? This is the TiVo Community Forum you know...
Well, you do see the first few seconds of commercials before you start to skip past them. They ran the commercial for this show so many times that a few seconds multiplied dozens and dozens of times a day still is a lot. Even skipping the commercial you still see bits of it many many times. I'm just glad the show is airing. They stopped the commercial onslaught.

And, yeah, I know this is a Tivo Community Forum. Thanks for reminding me. Totally over looked that fact.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:13 AM   #15
atrac

I've been watching every week and it seems to have settled into a pleasant SP for me. The cases do seem very "Boston Legalistic," but the lead actress continues to provide a very strong performance which keeps drawing me back. Her best friend is also strikingly pretty!

Actually Rosie O'Donnell was on last week and I was impressed with her on it too.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:53 AM   #16
atrac

Really? No one on here is watching this? The show has *really* become quite good. In fact it's Primetime Network quality (but does that mean anything anymore??).

I hate to be the only advocate on here for the show -- and really, I don't work on it (but would love to).
Old 08-26-2009, 03:46 AM   #17
Enrique

TC CLUB MEMBER
I love this show(I never miss a week).
Enrique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:42 AM   #18
barbeedoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
You need to get a TiVo. You can fast forward right through all those commercials.

Barbeedoll
barbeedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:46 AM   #19
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbeedoll View Post
You need to get a TiVo. You can fast forward right through all those commercials.

Barbeedoll
When they air the same commercial 2-3 time during the same commercial break, you can't help but see parts of it several times, over and over. Really, they were show the same commercial during EVERY break at least 2 times or more. Even fast forwarding past it was annoying.

Thanks for the tip about Tivo, would never have thought of it myself.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:04 PM   #20
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

I am enjoying this show-I am getting emotionally involved-I teared up a little @ this week's show!

Love Margaret Cho-"B%tch says what?"
Old 08-28-2009, 03:48 AM   #21
lorac

This is my first post. I was trying to find out why and if I could do anything...then found this Thread.

I had been enjoying Drop Dead Diva, but am no longer able to enjoy catching it with my TiVO, due to Lifetime Channel 36 being dropped by our Comcast provider. (I'm steamed over this!) I love Lifetime, the channel for woman whose movies that are all from real life experiences. I'm going to have huge openings in my Season Passes. Does anyone have any advice for this newbie, please?

Last edited by lorac : 08-28-2009 at 03:51 AM. Reason: Season Pass
lorac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:30 AM   #22
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorac View Post
This is my first post. I was trying to find out why and if I could do anything...then found this Thread.

I had been enjoying Drop Dead Diva, but am no longer able to enjoy catching it with my TiVO, due to Lifetime Channel 36 being dropped by our Comcast provider. (I'm steamed over this!) I love Lifetime, the channel for woman whose movies that are all from real life experiences. I'm going to have huge openings in my Season Passes. Does anyone have any advice for this newbie, please?
I think you can watch full episodes on the "Lifetime" website.

http://www.mylifetime.com/on-tv/shows/drop-dead-diva

Or learn about "Torrents" and download and watch new episodes on your computer.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...light=torrents
Old 08-29-2009, 12:56 AM   #23
lorac

Malcontent, thank you.

I also used to record other shows from the Lifetime channel. My major complaint is that I cannot use my TiVo to record my choices since the channel itself was dropped by Comcast. I bought the TiVO for those times that I am not around or watching something else or in the event that I forgot to watch.

I'd really like to know why they chose to drop this particular station. Statistics? It seems like I'm loosing channels and not gaining any. Do you think that they are trying to force me into updating in some area?
Old 08-29-2009, 01:12 AM   #24
lorac

I beleive thaat I answered my own question. Here is what I found from Comcast when I went to watch it.

Sorry, full length episodes of 'Drop Dead Diva' are currently unavailable.

Ways to Watch 'Drop Dead Diva':

* » Drop Dead Diva is available on Comcast on Demand
* » Drop Dead Diva has upcoming Tv Listings

They want me to buy Comcast on Demand. Now that's rotten! They took away a channel made for woman and now we have to pay to watch it. I don't think my TiVo does on Demand, not that we could afford it anyways. I guess I'll have to set some sort of alarm clock for my favorite shows. Drats!!! That will mean that I will have to remember what day of the week it is so that I can keep track of what to watch when. I remember last week when life was easier.

Spoiled by electronics so now I will have to use my brain...
Old 01-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #25
Cainebj

Drop Dead Diva has been cancelled after 4 seasons with no wrap up to the season cliffhanger in sight.

Although to be honest - I can't for the life of me remember what the cliffhanger was...

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...fetime/165530/
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:34 PM   #26
Marc
Now Legally Married

TC CLUB MEMBER
I did enjoy watching the series, so I'm sorry to see it go. I do remember the cliffhanger and was curious to see where they'd go.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #27
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

BOO HISS! I really enjoyed the show and was eagerly awaiting its return!
It was a nice piece of fluff I enjoyed on Sunday night before bedtime.

Maybe it will get picked up by another network or online?
Old 01-16-2013, 03:19 PM   #28
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
BOO HISS! I really enjoyed the show and was eagerly awaiting its return!
It was a nice piece of fluff I enjoyed on Sunday night before bedtime.

Maybe it will get picked up by another network or online?
Are you saying it's dead and it might come back in another body so to speak.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:24 PM   #29
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
Are you saying it's dead and it might come back in another body so to speak.
Now where did you come up with a clever idea like that? You should write for television!
Old 01-16-2013, 04:45 PM   #30
Cainebj

Quote:
I do remember the cliffhanger and was curious to see where they'd go.
Can you refresh my memory?
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote