TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-27-2013, 05:45 AM   #1
samsgood

KMTTG's issues with LONG recordings :/

I have tried using both regular download and java and each time, when I try and pull something off of my Tivo that is longer than 2 hours in length, it stops at some point, decrypts, and that's it. Yes, I have enough room on my hard drive for the entire recording. If a show is less than 2 hours long, no issue.

Has anyone experienced this? Is Kmtgg only capable of a certain amount of GB to pull or something else going on?

Any help would be appreciated.
samsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:42 AM   #2
cosmicvoid
Tivo noob

What OS are you using? And which file system is your drive formatted in?
cosmicvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
samsgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicvoid View Post
What OS are you using? And which file system is your drive formatted in?
Windows Vista, NTFS.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:42 AM   #4
ggieseke

By any chance are you running Kaspersky antivirus?
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:49 AM   #5
samsgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
By any chance are you running Kaspersky antivirus?
Naw, Avast.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #6
ggieseke

It sounds like an antivirus or file system limitation to me. Kaspersky was famous for it, but you might try disabling Avast anyway since you're using NTFS.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:58 AM   #7
samsgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
It sounds like an antivirus or file system limitation to me. Kaspersky was famous for it, but you might try disabling Avast anyway since you're using NTFS.
I tried that but same issue. Thanks for the suggestion though. I tried it despite the fact that I have had the antivirus running in the past during these long downloads and never had a problem.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #8
christheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsgood View Post
I have tried using both regular download and java and each time, when I try and pull something off of my Tivo that is longer than 2 hours in length, it stops at some point, decrypts, and that's it. Yes, I have enough room on my hard drive for the entire recording. If a show is less than 2 hours long, no issue.

Has anyone experienced this? Is Kmtgg only capable of a certain amount of GB to pull or something else going on?

Any help would be appreciated.
Has this been a repeatable event for ALL files beyond a certain length on your tivo, or just for SOME specific files, which also happen to be beyond a certain length?
christheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #9
samsgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by christheman View Post
Has this been a repeatable event for ALL files beyond a certain length on your tivo, or just for SOME specific files, which also happen to be beyond a certain length?
It has been repeatable for all files beyond a certain length. It just so happens that most are sporting event/wrestling/award show related so they are long because well, those happen to be super long but yeah.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #10
AudioNutz

Can you download it via the browser, without using KMTTG? This will help you know if it's computer specific, or app specific.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:13 AM   #11
samsgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNutz View Post
Can you download it via the browser, without using KMTTG? This will help you know if it's computer specific, or app specific.
Alright, I did it and it still cut off before being finished. So, if it did that via the browser, is this a computer issue?
Old 10-29-2013, 11:27 AM   #12
lpwcomp

Have you looked at the recording on the TiVo to see if there is a "glitch" at the point where the transferred recording ends? Even a minor, almost unnoticeable one will cause a download to stop at that point.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:43 PM   #13
samsgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Have you looked at the recording on the TiVo to see if there is a "glitch" at the point where the transferred recording ends? Even a minor, almost unnoticeable one will cause a download to stop at that point.
I have. Plus, it wouldn't be a glitch because this happens with other long recordings too.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:17 PM   #14
AudioNutz

Quote:
Alright, I did it and it still cut off before being finished. So, if it did that via the browser, is this a computer issue?
Well... It doesn't prove anything is wrong with the computer, it just proves that KMTTG isn't probably the root of the issue.

Is this the only computer you have? Do you have a Mac you can use?
Old 10-29-2013, 11:51 PM   #15
christheman

Quote:
Well... It doesn't prove anything is wrong with the computer, it just proves that KMTTG isn't probably the root of the issue.

Is this the only computer you have? Do you have a Mac you can use?
The only thing I can think of is, if he were to use Internet Explorer to download, the maximum cache size setting might potentially be exceeded by the size of the Tivo file. I have had that happen with other types of large files (non-Tivo) which I directly downloaded with IE. First it downloads to the Temp directory, then it interrupts the download if there are any size limitations, and then copies whatever is left over to the user's preferred location.

But that setting would not apply to other browsers or other programs like KMTTG or Tivo Desktop, unless they transparently used IE in the background. But if that were the case then the IE settings could be adjusted accordingly.

Having said that, I'm a Firefox user myself.

Last edited by christheman : 10-29-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:03 AM   #16
lpwcomp

Quote:
I have. Plus, it wouldn't be a glitch because this happens with other long recordings too.
Are all of the resulting files about the same size?

What model TiVo?

Wired or wireless connections?

Any switches involved besides the one built-in to the router and are any of them "green"?

Old 10-30-2013, 06:32 AM   #17
samsgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Are all of the resulting files about the same size?

What model TiVo?

Wired or wireless connections?

Any switches involved besides the one built-in to the router and are any of them "green"?
I can tell ya this for sure- they are all >10GB.
I have a TiVo Premiere 4, wireless conneted, and no, no green switches.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:13 AM   #18
lpwcomp

Quote:
I can tell ya this for sure- they are all >10GB.
I have a TiVo Premiere 4, wireless conneted, and no, no green switches.
Any way to connect wired, at least long enough to test?

Try setting all 4 tuners to channels you don't receive, just for one transfer.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #19
AudioNutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by christheman View Post
But that setting would not apply to other browsers or other programs like KMTTG or Tivo Desktop, unless they transparently used IE in the background. But if that were the case then the IE settings could be adjusted accordingly.

Having said that, I'm a Firefox user myself.
KMTTG uses a technology "curl" as default for downloading files. If you choose a different preference, I believe I can use Java. But... Since the browser fails, this is not the problem.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:08 PM   #20
lpwcomp

Quote:
KMTTG uses a technology "curl" as default for downloading files. If you choose a different preference, I believe I can use Java. But... Since the browser fails, this is not the problem.
Not to mention the fact that the OP, in the first post, said he
Quote:
tried using both regular download and java

Old 10-31-2013, 11:04 PM   #21
samsgood

Alright...update.

I actually tried downloading (3) different programs that were all giving me problems by using my other computer after downloading kmttg. And it stopped recording at the exact same time on that computer too.

So, can this be as simple as coincidence that these recordings all had similar glitches and so kmttg stopped the downloading process at the times of the glitches?
Old 11-01-2013, 03:12 PM   #22
christheman

Quote:
Alright...update.

I actually tried downloading (3) different programs that were all giving me problems by using my other computer after downloading kmttg. And it stopped recording at the exact same time on that computer too.

So, can this be as simple as coincidence that these recordings all had similar glitches and so kmttg stopped the downloading process at the times of the glitches?
Actually it is the Tivo which stops delivering the recording at those glitches, regardless of which computer or what program you use. That is why it is consistent.

When it happens to me, I get glitches in small batches, like one or two or three botched programs in a row. All screwed up to the point where they cannot fully download. Then it won't happen again for maybe 2-3 weeks. But I do copious amounts of downloads, so others results may vary.

Program/movie duration doesn't seem to be of any importance. It happens to me with the little 1/2 hour types of shows with commercial breaks as well as with long movies and no commercial breaks.

I suspect that it is an issue with the content delivery systems at the network providers not being able to keep up with the demand, perhaps a hard drive glitch every so often. I have seen a very similar thing happen at the movie theaters when they show a digital screening, where high bandwidth content is delivered from a local content delivery system, such as hard drives. For instance, I can remember Jack And The Giant Beanstalk hiccupping and seizing up so often at the theater that it was like watching a massive "ultra high def" Youtube video. People in the audience were softly groaning. It just is what it is.

I haven't received my Fall update yet on my Premiere, but Tivo could have easily fixed that issue though if they wanted to.

Last edited by christheman : 11-01-2013 at 04:48 PM.