TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
Skip Abell

Activate TIVO with Verizon

I recently purchased a TIVO Premiere. I use a Verizon internet connection. I cannot activate. I do not have access to any other broadband internet, my phone line will only accept a dial-up modem. My verizon hot-spot provides me high speed internet, I can use Net-Flix, and it does support on-line gaming. I spoke with the Geeks at Best Buy, they recommended a wireless NetGear adapter, it would not work with the TIVO. The TIVO sales and service reps both suggested I try a forum, 'cause they are aware others have used the Verizon internet connection, but TIVO does not support it officially yet. Hope someone can help me...I'm a retired guy with basic tech skills, so please be gentle with me! Thanks
Skip Abell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
bayern_fan

You can either hook your Premiere unit up to your internet router via an Ethernet cable, or you can purchase a Tivo Wireless Adapter from a source like Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_1jwkb6m1s4_b
bayern_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:45 AM   #3
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Abell View Post
I recently purchased a TIVO Premiere. I use a Verizon internet connection. I cannot activate. I do not have access to any other broadband internet, my phone line will only accept a dial-up modem. My verizon hot-spot provides me high speed internet, I can use Net-Flix, and it does support on-line gaming. I spoke with the Geeks at Best Buy, they recommended a wireless NetGear adapter, it would not work with the TIVO. The TIVO sales and service reps both suggested I try a forum, 'cause they are aware others have used the Verizon internet connection, but TIVO does not support it officially yet. Hope someone can help me...I'm a retired guy with basic tech skills, so please be gentle with me! Thanks
What kind of Tivo CSR would LIE to you about NOT supporting a Verizon Internet connection 'officially'. Of COURSE it will work. It is like any other. As mentioned, you are making it too complicated. The back of the Tivo has an ethernet connector, so plua a caqble into that and the Verizon modem (it has 4 ports) or use the tivo wireless adapter and connect to your wireless internet signal.
Tivo (S2-retired, 500gb HD, 2 units)
TivoHD (2tb HD, chip mod, 2 units)
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Tivo Premiere4 (2tb (JMFS) HD)
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Ok, Skip...

Assuming your talking about just the standard Verizon FIOS internet and Cable service, you are fine. You have a few options to consider.

1) you pull a network cable from your router to your TiVo

2) you can purchase a single MoCa adapter (the internet signal is actually on your verizon TV Coax line)
https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/moca

3) you can use your exising Wi-Fi network ( assuming you have one) and purchase a Wi-Fi dongle from TiVo.
https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/wireless-n

For ease of use and reliability for you - I would recommend option 2. Since you have Verizon Fios, you have the network on your TV Coax cable and using this adapter to provide a reliable network drop at your TV is easy at a resonable price.

You will need the adapter, a short ethernet cable, and two short cable coax cables. Place the MoCa adapter next to your TV and run the first Coax from the wall outlet into the adapter. From the adapter run an ethernet cable to your TiVo and a second Coax cable to your TiVo - and you are Done!!!!!

I hope that helps!
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo

Last edited by bradleys : 10-24-2013 at 02:45 PM.
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Doesn't alter the fact that the CSR you spoke too was lying thru his teeth. Tivo CSR roulette. Geez
Tivo (S2-retired, 500gb HD, 2 units)
TivoHD (2tb HD, chip mod, 2 units)
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Tivo Premiere4 (2tb (JMFS) HD)
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #6
mdscott

What brand and model router have you been provided by Verizon?

The ActionTec MI424WR used by them creates its own MoCA network and so no additional MoCA adapter would be necessary.,
Old 10-24-2013, 03:25 PM   #7
caughey

Skip wrote:
Quote:
My verizon hot-spot provides me high speed internet
I know some who uses a Verizon Wireless MiFi device for their home internet. If that's what you're doing Skip, then the TiVo wireless adapter is what you need.

If you do have a FiOS connection and router, then you can choose any of the three options bradleys has laid out for you.
caughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #8
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
My verizon hot-spot provides me high speed internet
I missed that...

Skip has a Mi-Fi mobile hot spot - not broadband internet!

OK Skip, your only option is going to be a Wi-Fi dongle from TiVo.
https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/wireless-n

What I am unsure about is how this will work with the "local network" requirements for TiVo to work. I am understanding the information you recieved from the CSR better now.

Short answer - not really supported that way. Long answer, somebody may have figured out a way to make it work and this forum is going to be the best resouce for that answer.

Sorry for taking you down the wrong path with my answers.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #9
True Colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhu View Post
Doesn't alter the fact that the CSR you spoke too was lying thru his teeth. Tivo CSR roulette. Geez
The original post says that the only wireline internet he has is dial up. No broadband. So how is the Tivo person a liar? The premier does not work with dialup internet.

This same topic has popped up before...... that is, how can a mobile hotspot with cellular data be used to connect a Premier to the Tivo mothership. All of the information that I have seen doubts that it can be done. The Tivo device is able to recognize that the cellular data connection is not an ethernet infrastructure connection so therefore it does not work. There is some sort of an issue with port forwarding or something like that.

There are a couple of products which might be able to overcome this but I have not been able to test these myself. For example, cradlepoint makes a cellular to ethernet adpater. Also, Verizon now offers a cellular to ethernet router. Perhaps the original poster should investigate these possible solutions.

TC

Last edited by True Colors : 10-24-2013 at 07:08 PM.
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:31 PM   #10
Skip Abell

Thanks all...you've given me some good info...I think I will stop by the Verizon store first and see what they can tell me. My internet device is an 890L-A147, there are no ports to connect a cable to. I'm thinking it's gonna hafta be some sort of wireless adapter. Also discovered the park we are in has upgraded their wireless and added several new towers. I am connected to one now...perhaps a wireless connection. Would either the TIVO N or B/G Network adapter work for me?
Skip Abell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #11
rifleman69

Get the N, it won't be overkill.
rifleman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:26 AM   #12
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Colors View Post
The premier does not work with dialup internet.
Sure it does.

https://tivo.com/shop/detail/usb-phone-adapter

Quote:
The Tivo device is able to recognize that the cellular data connection is not an ethernet infrastructure connection so therefore it does not work.
That makes no sense. Why would the TiVo care? Internet is Internet.

I think you must be confusing things like MRV/MRS, which are limited to the LAN, with the TiVo's general network functions. All the OP is looking for is activation and guide data.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #13
True Colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Sure it does.

https://tivo.com/shop/detail/usb-phone-adapter

That makes no sense. Why would the TiVo care? Internet is Internet.

I think you must be confusing things like MRV/MRS, which are limited to the LAN, with the TiVo's general network functions. All the OP is looking for is activation and guide data.
Well, in actuality, that product you posted does not allow people to use their dialup internet service to connect to Tivo. In fact, you would have to make sure that your internet dialup service was turned off in order to be able to use that thing.

Now, if you want to argue that the USB adapter you referenced allows people to connect to Tivo using similar technology as their dialup internet service provider, then yeah, okay, I see your point. Yes, it is possible to connect a Premiere over an analog phone line.

Regarding the use of cellular data to connect a Premier to the Tivo mothership....... this issue has been hashed out numerous times on this board and elsewhere. I haven't seen anyone successfully do it yet. And at this point I do not feel like spending my own personal time to figure this out. This is on my "to do" list but it is pretty far down towards the bottom and I might not ever get to it.

If you know of a way to do this then you must know something that other people do not know. Including tivo themselves.

http://forums.tivo.com/pe/action/for...2357#e11052357

TC
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote