TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #61
buscuitboy

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnaider View Post
I can now confirm that the software update was required as I can now do OOH on my Premieres as well.
I have a 4-tuner Premiere. So, you are saying that if I get a stand alone TiVo Stream to add to it, I will essentially be able to do out-of-home slingbox like streaming with my Premiere, correct?

If so, I would think/hope it would also work with a 2-tuner Premiere & stream as well, but maybe not.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:42 PM   #62
rsnaider

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
I have a 4-tuner Premiere. So, you are saying that if I get a stand alone TiVo Stream to add to it, I will this essentially be able to do out-of-home slingbox like streaming with my Premiere, correct?
The standalone streams have not been updated for OOH yet. I can only guess they should work the same way but until they are updated we do not officially know.

TiVo Roamio Pro
TiVo Premier - WD 1TB Expander
TiVo Premier XL
TiVo Premier Elite
TiVo Mini
rsnaider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #63
JonHB

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
As rainwater points out above there are 2 IP addresses - the Stream gets its own IP. When you setup forwarding did you forward to the Stream or Roamio IP?
Interesting... When I setup the static IP, it only asked for one address. I did not notice there being a second place for another static address. I was a bit miffed that when set to DHCP that it was using an address that was NOT in my DHCP range.

I just did an NMAP scan of my network and it looks like the Roamio grabbed a second address that is again in my static range. There is only one DHCP server on my network (Windows server 2008) and it is not giving out the addresses that the Tivo is trying to use.
JonHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:29 PM   #64
moyekj

Yes unfortunately TiVo did not provide any way to assign static IP to the Stream.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:31 PM   #65
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Yes unfortunately TiVo did not provide any way to assign static IP to the Stream.
Which is a big, fat, stupid "DUH" move on TiVo's part and will make troubleshooting a nightmare.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #66
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Which is a big, fat, stupid "DUH" move on TiVo's part and will make troubleshooting a nightmare.
I'm not too bothered about it since I use DHCP + reservations in my router setup. So for case of Roamio I have 2 DHCP reservations set such that my Roamio and Stream each get a fixed IP. Every permanent device on my LAN gets a named reservation so I know exactly what's what but without the bother of having to deal with static IP assignments.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:49 PM   #67
RustySTL

Anyone having issues downloading over LTE? I can never get it to download a complete show to my iphone, and it is super slow. I'm using the basic setting, so the file size is about 175MB.
RustySTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:34 PM   #68
Devx

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySTL View Post
Anyone having issues downloading over LTE? I can never get it to download a complete show to my iphone, and it is super slow. I'm using the basic setting, so the file size is about 175MB.
What is your internet provider upload speed? Not having any problems downloading over LTE but the speeds can vary greatly depending on location and congestion.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:30 PM   #69
JonHB

Quote:
I'm not too bothered about it since I use DHCP + reservations in my router setup. So for case of Roamio I have 2 DHCP reservations set such that my Roamio and Stream each get a fixed IP. Every permanent device on my LAN gets a named reservation so I know exactly what's what but without the bother of having to deal with static IP assignments.
I used this method last night to ensure the Tivo used the two specific IP's I wanted and it's now working fine. They're definitely using a tunnel configuration as I did not need to put any forwarding in place for OOH streaming.

Tivo - please add static options for BOTH ip addresses, or at a minimum, use two consecutive ones if the first is specified. Leaving the stream on DHCP while the base IP is fixed is dumb. Also figure out why the Tivo was using IP's that were not assigned via DHCP.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:14 PM   #70
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonHB View Post
I used this method last night to ensure the Tivo used the two specific IP's I wanted and it's now working fine. They're definitely using a tunnel configuration as I did not need to put any forwarding in place for OOH streaming.
You still have UPNP disabled? If so then I'm not sure how they do automatic forwarding?

Old 10-30-2013, 03:29 PM   #71
jwbelcher

Quote:
You could do a static lease by MAC address. Then the stream would also have the same IP provided via DHCP.

Nevermind, didn't see the dhcp reservation postings

Last edited by jwbelcher : 10-30-2013 at 03:37 PM.
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:03 PM   #72
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
You could do a static lease by MAC address. Then the stream would also have the same IP provided via DHCP.

Nevermind, didn't see the dhcp reservation postings
No, they should still have the option. It is plain stupid to have the ability to set a static address on the main Roamio but not the built-in stream. I have NEVER seen a product do that before.

You can simulate something similar with DHCP assignments, but it is more complex and many more steps making setup, troubleshooting, and support all more difficult.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:03 PM   #73
RustySTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devx View Post
What is your internet provider upload speed? Not having any problems downloading over LTE but the speeds can vary greatly depending on location and congestion.
It's a quoted 2Mbps, but I usually get more than that. Seems like it will start to download and then it disconnects and the download stops or says it's failed.
RustySTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #74
mrizzo80

Quote:
No, they should still have the option. It is plain stupid to have the ability to set a static address on the main Roamio but not the built-in stream. I have NEVER seen a product do that before.

You can simulate something similar with DHCP assignments, but it is more complex and many more steps making setup, troubleshooting, and support all more difficult.
Is this something that can be rectified with a software update? There are always things that don't make the cut in the first release. The amount of people wanting a static IP is probably incredibly small.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #75
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrizzo80 View Post
Is this something that can be rectified with a software update? There are always things that don't make the cut in the first release. The amount of people wanting a static IP is probably incredibly small.
The standalone Stream which has been around quite a bit longer than Roamio internal Stream also doesn't have ability to configure static IP.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #76
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrizzo80 View Post
Is this something that can be rectified with a software update?
Quite likely.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:34 AM   #77
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:

Agree that static should have been made an option, but it's dirt-simple to allocate a static DHCP res on aftermarket router firmware such as Tomato. It's not many more steps and involves no troubleshooting.

I always use regular DHCP for my Tivos and have no issues, but agree that it could be an issue for streaming if uPNP is not working or disabled.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:16 AM   #78
DonnieZ

As I figured, this feature is overhyped and fails to deliver due to TiVo's restraints in regard to copy protected content.

If I can't stream ALL of my content outside of the home, it doesn't offer what Slingbox does. I don't want to be in a position to watch something only to find out that Comcast starts setting the CP flag on more content and I'm SOL. With my Slingbox, I don't have that restriction. I can watch what I want, when I want, wherever I want. The only downside to the Slingbox is that it sucks up the video output of one of my TiVo units. It's total crap now that if I record a movie off of HBO I can't watch it in the bedroom - transfer prohibited.

Is this same restriction in regard to copy protected content in place with a TiVo Mini? If so, it somewhat puts a damper on my master plan of replacing my two TiVo HD units with a Roamio Plus in the front room and a Mini in the bedroom.
DonnieZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:53 AM   #79
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
The only downside to the Slingbox is that it sucks up the video output of one of my TiVo units
It does not use one of your video outputs. You can have a Roamio in the Family Room, a Mini in the bedroom and kitchen all on different live TV channels and still be watching something different on an IOS device remotely.

Somebody will chime in and give a maximum number of streams allowed, I have seen a lot of numbers bandied about...

But, I know the TiVo can handle six live streams at one time plus a couple of recorded content streams before it caps out. (Your internal network bandwidth is most likely going to be the limiting factor before you run out of streams)

EDIT:

I may not have answered your actual question, let me try again. Copy protected content is restricted from external streaming only. Internal streaming is allowed to both IOS and Mini receivers.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo

Last edited by bradleys : 10-31-2013 at 11:09 AM.
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:00 AM   #80
jrtroo
User

Outside of the house experience for streaming is completely different from inside of the house, where streaming your recordings is unrestricted.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:05 AM   #81
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieZ View Post
Is this same restriction in regard to copy protected content in place with a TiVo Mini? If so, it somewhat puts a damper on my master plan of replacing my two TiVo HD units with a Roamio Plus in the front room and a Mini in the bedroom.
No. Mini uses MRS (streaming), not MRV (copying), so is not affected by CCI flag.

I have a Slingbox 350 but still considering getting an iPad Air for out of home streaming because there are some advantages over the Sling solution:
* If you have a very poor connection there is nothing you can do with Sling - it will look really bad or constantly stall making things unwatchable. With the Stream solution you can set it to download for a while to build up a buffer and then start watching and the quality will still be one of the 3 pre-defined quality levels.
* Again for poor connections the Slingbox 350 can take up to 20 seconds or so to respond to a button press while I'm hearing the iOS app response is pretty close to real time, so trick play is much more seamless compared to Sling.
* Slingbox requires you take control of the box, so that box can't be used by someone else while Sling is in use. With Stream solution everything happens in the background.
* With Slingbox you are restricted to whatever box it is connected to. With Stream solution any series 4 or higher unit on the network can be streamed from.

The Sling has some advantages such as much higher quality captures possible, not affected by any copy protection nonsense, and can be connected to any box that has analog outputs, but I wouldn't rule out the Stream as a useless solution in comparison.

Last edited by moyekj : 10-31-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:35 PM   #82
A J Ricaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Internal streaming is allowed to both IOS and Mini receivers.
I tried to watch a recorded CNET podcast on my iPad inside my house but I got an error msg. that it was copy protected and could not be displayed--bummer. I thought you can see all content within your network.
A J Ricaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:42 PM   #83
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by A J Ricaud View Post
I tried to watch a recorded CNET podcast on my iPad inside my house but I got an error msg. that it was copy protected and could not be displayed--bummer. I thought you can see all content within your network.
You can see all Live or recorded Cable TV content. Podcasts or Amazon downloads are restricted to only the box to which they were downloaded.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:50 PM   #84
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
You can see all Live or recorded Cable TV content. Podcasts or Amazon downloads are restricted to only the box to which they were downloaded.
Plus I'll add that any H.264 content also cannot be viewed at all currently with Stream solution, copy protected or not.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:25 PM   #85
JonHB

Quote:
You still have UPNP disabled? If so then I'm not sure how they do automatic forwarding?
Had to go do some sleuthing on this. I'm using a Ubiquiti Edge Router that I thought was not using UPNP, but as it turns out, it is now enabled. I'm thinking one of my firmware updates slipped this in.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:46 AM   #86
Devx

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySTL View Post
It's a quoted 2Mbps, but I usually get more than that. Seems like it will start to download and then it disconnects and the download stops or says it's failed.
Does in home streaming work? A few others are reporting problems too but I really think they are network related, either the internet provider or LTE coverage/congestion. I'm also wondering if Tivo's proxy server isn't making things worse for some people and if some of these connection issues might subside once direct connections are enabled.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:32 AM   #87
NYHeel

Quote:
No. Mini uses MRS (streaming), not MRV (copying), so is not affected by CCI flag.

I have a Slingbox 350 but still considering getting an iPad Air for out of home streaming because there are some advantages over the Sling solution:
* If you have a very poor connection there is nothing you can do with Sling - it will look really bad or constantly stall making things unwatchable. With the Stream solution you can set it to download for a while to build up a buffer and then start watching and the quality will still be one of the 3 pre-defined quality levels.
* Again for poor connections the Slingbox 350 can take up to 20 seconds or so to respond to a button press while I'm hearing the iOS app response is pretty close to real time, so trick play is much more seamless compared to Sling.
* Slingbox requires you take control of the box, so that box can't be used by someone else while Sling is in use. With Stream solution everything happens in the background.
* With Slingbox you are restricted to whatever box it is connected to. With Stream solution any series 4 or higher unit on the network can be streamed from.

The Sling has some advantages such as much higher quality captures possible, not affected by any copy protection nonsense, and can be connected to any box that has analog outputs, but I wouldn't rule out the Stream as a useless solution in comparison.
Most importantly, Slingbox doesn't offer the download option. That's a big one for me as I don't have to have a solid internet connection the entire time I'm watching. On my commute I frequently will download beforehand to watch on the bus since I'll usually lose a good cell signal periodically during the way.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:47 AM   #88
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
Most importantly, Slingbox doesn't offer the download option. That's a big one for me as I don't have to have a solid internet connection the entire time I'm watching. On my commute I frequently will download beforehand to watch on the bus since I'll usually lose a good cell signal periodically during the way.
If you use a laptop as a client note that you can capture Sllingbox stream unencrypted to a file for Slingbox Pro or later models (kmttg added that capability recently). So you can let capture build up and then start watching while it's still capturing. But for Slingbox clients in general yes it's an issue.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #89
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post

It does not use one of your video outputs. You can have a Roamio in the Family Room, a Mini in the bedroom and kitchen all on different live TV channels and still be watching something different on an IOS device remotely.

Somebody will chime in and give a maximum number of streams allowed, I have seen a lot of numbers bandied about...

But, I know the TiVo can handle six live streams at one time plus a couple of recorded content streams before it caps out. (Your internal network bandwidth is most likely going to be the limiting factor before you run out of streams)

EDIT:

I may not have answered your actual question, let me try again. Copy protected content is restricted from external streaming only. Internal streaming is allowed to both IOS and Mini receivers.
He was talking about the downsides of using a Slingbox, NOT the Stream.

Read:

"The only downside to the Slingbox is that it sucks up the video output of one of my TiVo units"
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #90
LostInTheTrees

Question about OOH Streaming

When traveling I carry an iPad and an HDMI cable with adapter. I stream Netflix or others and connect the iPad thru HDMI to the room's TV. This mostly works great, but some services restrict the use of HDMI on the iPad. The Comcast XFinity app was one of these. Most shows would allow streaming to the iPad, but would not allow the video to be sent through HDMI.

Before I spend a lot of $$$ on Roamio, can someone confirm that the Roamio streaming app will NOT restrict use of HDMI output from the iPad?

I simply can't stomach broadcast TV anymore, at all. I even watch football games from recordings.

-Bob
LostInTheTrees is offline   Reply With Quote