TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-24-2013, 07:57 PM   #31
mrizzo80

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeZorf View Post
Does 1) streaming & 2) downloading outside the home work when the Roamio is behind a 'Double NAT' network? Hoping it will work and that there is some sort of magic Tivo proxy.

Can someone check their router for any port forwarding / uPnP entries?

TIA
TiVo does (at least currently) use a proxy. I don't know enough about networking to know if this is what you are looking for though.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2762/
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:58 PM   #32
Devx

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeZorf View Post
Does 1) streaming & 2) downloading outside the home work when the Roamio is behind a 'Double NAT' network? Hoping it will work and that there is some sort of magic Tivo proxy.

Can someone check their router for any port forwarding / uPnP entries?

TIA
My router is not uPnP enabled and I didn't set up any port forwarding rules for any of the Tivo or Stream IPs. It just worked.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:12 PM   #33
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Perhaps, but that seems to be implied that it is any device.
No, that's what you inferred.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:30 PM   #34
morac
Cat God

According to TiVo's support docs, streaming is only supported for CCI=0x0 so users of systems like TWC are out of luck.

Quote:
Content with copy protection cannot be streamed using the Out-of-Home Streaming feature. Only non-copy-protected ("0x00—Copy freely") can be viewed. See Questions about copy protection for more information about copy-protection.

morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:53 AM   #35
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

And I, like others, fail to understand why it's ok to stream CCI-protected content in your home and not outside to your own devices. If I didn't know better I'd say Tivo has some backroom agreements with these MSOs not to do so, I don't think it's a CableLabs issue.

They really have some explaining to do here (again), because they keep screwing over people on fascist systems like TWC.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #36
button1066

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
"Out-of-Home Streaming for TiVo Roamio(TM) Users Delivers Live and Recorded Content via Wi-Fi Anywhere"

LIE!
Wipe the spittle off your chin and show some dignity please.

It works perfectly well for the other boys and girls.
button1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #37
morac
Cat God

Sling is taking a swing at TiVo's new streaming functionality.

http://www.slingbox.com/get/tivo-off...oamio-Oct-2013
Old 10-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #38
MichaelK

the android users really need to do their talking with their wallets.

I have the money sitting in my savings account waiting for android support but i'm not buying roamio till it does. I've let them know this at every opportunity both solicited or not.

I'm sick and tired of them 'not getting around' to X. Long time TIVo owner- S1, S1 directivo, S2, S2 directivo, S2DT, HDirectivo, S3, and S4. I'm done at this point not buying the Roamio until they finish something for once. When my S4's die I'll probably go X1 from comcast at this point.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:52 AM   #39
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Sling is taking a swing at TiVo's new streaming functionality.

http://www.slingbox.com/get/tivo-off...oamio-Oct-2013
Excellent. We need this competition to keep innovation coming. Does Anyone know if Slingbox is subject to the Copy once byte (or whatever it's called) that Tivo Out of home streaming is that zealous cable operators use to prevent consumer control of content? Seems like that is the most important distinction.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #40
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_smits View Post
Excellent. We need this competition to keep innovation coming. Does Anyone know if Slingbox is subject to the Copy once byte (or whatever it's called) that Tivo Out of home streaming is that zealous cable operators use to prevent consumer control of content? Seems like that is the most important distinction.
As far as I am aware, they are not subject to ANY restrictions on type of content streaming... at least on the mid and low models, because they are analog (Component connection).
Old 10-26-2013, 09:19 AM   #41
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_smits View Post
No restrictions. Shockingly in the link above they don't mention that critical nugget.
I will add too that Slingbox captures can be saved as *unencrypted* H.264 video (in real time), regardless of the CCI byte, something that can't be done with the TiVo method.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by moyekj : 10-26-2013 at 09:25 AM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:34 AM   #42
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
No restrictions. Shockingly in the link above they don't mention that critical nugget. I will add too that Slingbox captures can be saved as *unencrypted* H.264 video (in real time), regardless of the CCI byte, something that can't be done with the TiVo method.
I'm pretty sure Sling encrypts their streams.

The chart is wrong in one aspect. TiVo's Margret confirmed that it does do adaptive bit rates.

Sling recently added airplay to their SlingPlayer iOS app. That brings a large number of major apps (Netflix, Amazon, HBO, SlingPlayer) that support airplay. I wonder why TiVo is still restricting it?
Old 10-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #43
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
The chart is wrong in one aspect. TiVo's Margret confirmed that it does do adaptive bit rates.
TiVo uses an HLS stream, specifically designed for adaptive bit rate. (Also why android has been difficult)

Quote:
Sling recently added airplay to their SlingPlayer iOS app. That brings a large number of major apps (Netflix, Amazon, HBO, SlingPlayer) that support airplay. I wonder why TiVo is still restricting it?
Two thoughts:

1) It seems like TiVo is ultra conservative when interpreting the cable labs rules and their relationship with MSO's

2) competition with the mini.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #44
moyekj

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Sling encrypts their streams.
Sling output can be captured unencrypted with Slingbox Pro models and later. See:
Capturing Slingbox 350/500 video

http://sourceforge.net/p/kmttg/wiki/slingbox_capture/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #45
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
1) It seems like TiVo is ultra conservative when interpreting the cable labs rules and their relationship with MSO's
Yep, that is the big one. TiVo has a LOT to lose compared to Slingbox if they don't walk the thin/tight line.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:11 PM   #46
NJguy

So I have no idea how to get this to work but OOH does not work for me. Watch on Phone is grayed out when I switch WIFI off and go on LTE. When I switch WIFI back on, no problem can start a recording and watch.

Slingbox hooked up to my Mini works just fine though.
NJguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:20 PM   #47
Goober96

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJguy View Post
So I have no idea how to get this to work but OOH does not work for me. Watch on Phone is grayed out when I switch WIFI off and go on LTE. When I switch WIFI back on, no problem can start a recording and watch. Slingbox hooked up to my Mini works just fine though.
That's because it doesn't support cellular connections, WiFi only.
Goober96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:43 AM   #48
Devx

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJguy View Post
So I have no idea how to get this to work but OOH does not work for me. Watch on Phone is grayed out when I switch WIFI off and go on LTE. When I switch WIFI back on, no problem can start a recording and watch.

Slingbox hooked up to my Mini works just fine though.
bradleys posted a workaround, see thread linked below...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=510477

Direct streaming via LTE is slated for release next year.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:34 PM   #49
NJguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober96 View Post
That's because it doesn't support cellular connections, WiFi only.
My bad. Thanks for clarifying. You know, I thought that I read that but I spaced. I was able to use my phone's LTE as a WiFi hotspot for my iPad and it worked just as it should. Very cool....but my Slingbox connected to my Mini still does the job with every channel.
NJguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:39 PM   #50
ShoutingMan

Weirdly, OOH transfer is more stable than transfers within my home network.

I transferred a 30 min sitcom via OOH without problem (just very slow). But then back home, transferring a 1 hr show a full quality fails with about 5 min remaining. It takes several retries and a reconnection of the app to finish off.
ShoutingMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:23 PM   #51
gigaguy

TWC customer here, with only a Premiere for now. If what I see with kttmg, 95% of programs can not be copied or moved, so I assume any streaming would be the same, is that right? yay TWC
gigaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:15 PM   #52
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigaguy View Post
TWC customer here, with only a Premiere for now. If what I see with kttmg, 95% of programs can not be copied or moved, so I assume any streaming would be the same, is that right? yay TWC
In home streaming would work, out of home streaming would not.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:16 AM   #53
buscuitboy

I haven't see this answered yet, but would OOH streaming essentially take up one of the Roamio's 6 tuners (if available) and not affect the current viewer of the box while at home & watching?
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:51 AM   #54
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
I haven't see this answered yet, but would OOH streaming essentially take up one of the Roamio's 6 tuners (if available) and not affect the current viewer of the box while at home & watching?
It is kind of ugly the way it works now but if you want to view live programming it will actually start recording it to stream it to you. But it doesn't affect the person using the TiVo. However, you can view recordings without any weird side affects. Hopefully they find a way around the auto record to view live tv issue.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:26 PM   #55
JonHB

Just got my Roamio over the weekend and setup OOH streaming last night. Using my iPad at work today, I can see all the recorded shows on the Tivo and when I start the record/streaming, it actually starts recording on the Tivo, but it won't stream the content to me. I can see all existing content on the Tivo (as well as the newly recording one), and I can delete and manage the recordings, but nothing will stream. I keep getting "There was a problem connecting to your streaming device".

I run a pretty tight firewall and no UPNP. Is there any port forwarding that needs to be in place to get this to work? I can't find any port info listed anywhere.
JonHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:36 PM   #56
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonHB View Post
I run a pretty tight firewall and no UPNP. Is there any port forwarding that needs to be in place to get this to work? I can't find any port info listed anywhere.
Currently, TiVo is relying on UPNP for automatic port forwarding to work. Here's a screenshot from Stream Sysinfo page (http://<stream ip>:49152/sysinfo) which has some port forwarding related information.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...87#post9865387

i.e. You possibly can get things working without UPNP by manually forwarding ports 49151 & 49152 in router setup.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #57
rsnaider

I can now confirm that the software update was required as I can now do OOH on my Premieres as well.

TiVo Roamio Pro
TiVo Premier - WD 1TB Expander
TiVo Premier XL
TiVo Premier Elite
TiVo Mini
rsnaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:16 PM   #58
JonHB

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
i.e. You possibly can get things working without UPNP by manually forwarding ports 49151 & 49152 in router setup.
Tried this and not currently working. I'm starting to wonder if changing the Tivo IP address affects this. After I setup the IOS clients, I was having some networking issues and noticed that the Roamio had picked up an address that was in my static range which was conflicting with one of my Ubiquiti Unifi devices. I changed the Roamio to a static IP address after that and possibly I need to re-run the in-home setup on my IOS devices again. I'll try that tonight.
JonHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:21 PM   #59
rainwater

Quote:
Tried this and not currently working. I'm starting to wonder if changing the Tivo IP address affects this. After I setup the IOS clients, I was having some networking issues and noticed that the Roamio had picked up an address that was in my static range which was conflicting with one of my Ubiquiti Unifi devices. I changed the Roamio to a static IP address after that and possibly I need to re-run the in-home setup on my IOS devices again. I'll try that tonight.
Also note that the Roamio IP address is not the same as the stream IP address. There are 2 ip addresses per Roamio. So you will need to setup the stream ip.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #60
moyekj

Quote:
As rainwater points out above there are 2 IP addresses - the Stream gets its own IP. When you setup forwarding did you forward to the Stream or Roamio IP?