TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:23 AM   #1
drebbe
Carbon Blob

Roam Free, Baby - TiVo Begins Out-of-Home Streaming Service

Roam Free, Baby!

Out-of-Home Streaming for TiVo Roamio(TM) Users Delivers Live and Recorded Content via Wi-Fi Anywhere, Anytime

First Set-Top-Box for Cable Subscribers That Enables Out-of-Home Streaming; Makes Cable an Even Better Experience for TV Lovers

SAN JOSE, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 10/24/13 -- TiVo Inc., a leader in advanced television services and the creator of digital video recorders (DVRs), announced today the launch of out-of-home streaming on the TiVo Roamio Pro and TiVo Roamio Plus DVRs, letting you stream and download your live TV and recorded content to your smartphones and tablets from anywhere.

"Until now, your shows have been locked up in your set top box at home," said Jim Denney, Vice President of Product Marketing at TiVo. "Now with a TiVo Roamio DVR, whether it's a hotel in Denmark, the waiting room at the dentist office, when you're stuck at the airport, or at the gym, out-of-home streaming gives you the level of choice, control and freedom that consumers have come to expect from TiVo."

TiVo Roamio combines the functionality of a DVR, Apple TV, Roku and Slingbox and even with all of those devices in your entertainment center you still wouldn't have access to everything a Roamio can do for you. Cable provides a phenomenal experience and TiVo Roamio makes it even better by extending it anywhere and making it stickier benefiting both cable subscribers and operators.

While doing what other cable set-top-boxes don't do: combine all the best of linear TV with all the best over-the-top content, TV lovers now have the ability to roam free and both control and consume from out of the home through a mobile device. The new TiVo mobile experience includes full mobility and control:

-- Out-of-home & in-home streaming: watch your live or recorded shows remotely anywhere you have Wi-Fi
-- Out-of-home and in-home downloading: download your content to enjoy anywhere so that low bandwidth or lack of a Wi-Fi connection never slows you down
-- What to Watch Now: no matter where you are, TiVo's second screen dashboard provides instantaneous personalized recommendations the
second you pull up your TiVo app
-- Remote scheduling: view the programming guide, manage recordings or set a Season Pass any time -- no matter where you are
-- Mobile Search & discovery: figure out what's on whether you're in the office or a hotel and enjoy the same browsing tools you have with your TiVo at home (including the TiVo editorial Collections and show, cast and actor information)

"The TiVo Roamio has reset the bar for what a DVR can do," said Colin Dixon, Chief Analyst and Founder of nScreenMedia. "Making all that functionality and content available anywhere will allow users to get more value from the content they already pay for, cementing TiVo as the market-leading personal TV solution."

The TiVo Roamio DVR Series includes three models: TiVo Roamio ($199.99), TiVo Roamio Plus ($399.99) and TiVo Roamio Pro ($599.99). Roamio features four or six tuners and unprecedented storage (ranging from 75 hours to 450 hours of HD content) ensuring you will never miss a show again and have plenty of space for all the shows and movies you need at your fingertips.

All subscribers with a TiVo Roamio Pro and TiVo Roamio Plus will automatically receive the out-of-home streaming feature via an automatic software and mobile app update starting today. Base-model TiVo Roamio requires separate TiVo Stream to enable out-of-home streaming (and support for out-of-home streaming for existing users with a TiVo Stream is scheduled for next month). Support for streaming over 4G/LTE and to Android devices is scheduled for 2014.

Out-of-home streaming requires an Apple iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch device running iOS 5.1 or higher, and only supports streaming to one of your mobile devices at a time. Due to the copy protection assigned by the content provider, not all content can be downloaded to your mobile device for offline viewing, and not all content can be streamed when you are away from your local network. Visit tivo.com for additional terms and restrictions that apply.
drebbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
barrett14

I just updated my iOS app and it isn't letting me stream anything from my box...
barrett14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:24 AM   #3
bayern_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett14 View Post
I just updated my iOS app and it isn't letting me stream anything from my box...
You have to re-do the streaming device setup while connected to your home LAN.
bayern_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
barrett14

Gotcha. Thanks
barrett14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #5
anthonymoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayern_fan View Post
You have to re-do the streaming device setup while connected to your home LAN.
Indeed thanks. On my iPhone I was automatically prompted to do this. But not on the iPad.
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
rhettf
R3T1CAL

It works well but my Slingbox still looks better in low bandwidth situations.

This does give me a workaround to my issue of having to select 1080i/1080p output so my slingbox works...I like that when I have 1080p output only that Netflix doesn't cut out when switching between 720p/1080p.

When this feature works via a web browser i'll use it much more often. Having AirPlay would be nice aswell. I don't like watching stuff on my small screen.

We are getting there! Keep up the good work TiVo the box is finally becoming my all in one solution!
rhettf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #7
bob61

No Android OS support? Lame.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
bob61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #8
bradleys
It'll be fine....

The quality is MUCH better then I expected...

You have to start the stream under a WiFi connection, but can continue to watch using LTE - and I am very suprised how clean the signal is using my LTE iPad.

I cannot wait until they open it up for full LTE usage - far more usable for me.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:51 PM   #9
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
The quality is MUCH better then I expected...

You have to start the stream under a WiFi connection, but can continue to watch using LTE - and I am very suprised how clean the signal is using my LTE iPad.

I cannot wait until they open it up for full LTE usage - far more usable for me.
Why not just have the capability to start while using LTE? I can download at much, much faster rates than the public wifi connections can. And with unlimited data from Verizon I'm not worried about how much I download. I guess even if they did have android support it wouldn't be of much use to me yet. I'll have to continue using my Slingbox 350.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #10
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Why not just have the capability to start while using LTE? I can download at much, much faster rates than the public wifi connections can. And with unlimited data from Verizon I'm not worried about how much I download. I guess even if they did have android support it wouldn't be of much use to me yet. I'll have to continue using my Slingbox 350.
According to Dave Z, it had something to do with Apple not approving streaming apps that cannot adapt down to a minimum level for use on Cellular. The current implementation could not meet that standard yet, so we have Wi-Fi only until adaptive rate streaming is improved.

It really isn't that bad, because I can still initiate a download and start watching the stream as it downloads. I rarely have access to Wi-Fi hot spots and when I do, they are so bad it isn't worth the trouble - so I am looking forward to the LTE release this Spring.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)

Last edited by bradleys : 10-24-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #11
alleybj

Really poor performance for me

Streams frequently don't work and are blurry and choppy when they do. Downloads take forever and usually lose the connection before they finish. My tivo network is 6 meg ATT and I'm downloading on a 50 meg comcast network.
alleybj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:11 PM   #12
dslunceford

I went to McDonald's for lunch today and streamed just fine to an iPhone over public wifi....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

dslunceford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:46 PM   #13
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post
I went to McDonald's for lunch today and streamed just fine to an iPhone over public wifi....

Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #14
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleybj View Post
Streams frequently don't work and are blurry and choppy when they do. Downloads take forever and usually lose the connection before they finish. My tivo network is 6 meg ATT and I'm downloading on a 50 meg comcast network.
I am blown away by the quality I am getting. Off my buddies MiFi it wasn't the best, but as soon as I stepped away and reverted to LTE the quality was outstanding.

Stopped at a local Jimmy John's for lunch and played with and it worked very well. I have to say, I am pretty happy!

Looking forward to the LTE enabled version.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 10-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #15
swerver

Since I'm a lowly android user I'll have to wait. Here's a question - can you access pytivo shares?

I'm guessing not... maybe one could open access to the pytivo web interface remotely, and use that to push to the tivo first, and then stream it.
swerver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:38 PM   #16
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
Since I'm a lowly android user I'll have to wait. Here's a question - can you access pytivo shares?
No, the app doesn't see pyTivo and/or TD video shares.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #17
overFEDEXed

Streaming over 4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I posted this in the other thread.

I tried streaming with my iPhone 5S over LTE and no go. Then I tried my 4S, Jailbroken, with My3G (tricks the app into thinking that it is on WiFi) with 4G and it works pretty good.

For Jailbreakers here, with My3G, I had to set the "Use Direct Flag" to "on", to get it to work.

I have Cox Cable and don't know what is CCI Byte protected so...

Come on 5S jailbreak. I know, it's going to be a long time if ever, for that one.

Last edited by overFEDEXed : 10-24-2013 at 07:08 PM.
overFEDEXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #18
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

"Out-of-Home Streaming for TiVo Roamio(TM) Users Delivers Live and Recorded Content via Wi-Fi Anywhere"

LIE!

Sorry, but any current definition of streaming "Anywhere" that does not include the worlds most popular and numerous mobile platform, Android, is just 100% a lie.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #19
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Sorry, but any current definition of streaming "Anywhere" that does not include the worlds most popular and numerous mobile platform, Android, is just 100% a lie.
I would further argue then that until they support streaming to a web client that just adding Android is not sufficient to validate that statement either.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #20
Gadfly

Android and Windows support?
Gadfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #21
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
I would further argue then that until they support streaming to a web client that just adding Android is not sufficient to validate that statement either.
Agreed.

It is really a huge farce to say "anywhere". There are LOTS of different devices out there. They essentially support only ONE (iOS). Here are just a few NOT supported that people would ask for:

Linux? No
MacOS? No
MS-Windows? No
Android? No
Browser? No
DLNA? No
Wii? No
Xbox? No
PS? No

I have a dozen of various things from the above list and not a single non-TiVo device that will stream TiVo content *LOCALLY*, much less "anywhere".

Oh, let's further expand the lie:

"TiVo Roamio combines the functionality of a DVR, Apple TV, Roku and Slingbox"
Old 10-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #22
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Web client...

I certainly hope this is on the radar screen.

CGI might be looking for a new project soon!
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 10-24-2013, 06:23 PM   #23
mrizzo80

If TiVo had ended their PR header/subject with "anywhere on any device" your argument would be valid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Agreed.

It is really a huge farce to say "anywhere". There are LOTS of different devices out there. They essentially support only ONE (iOS). Here are just a few NOT supported that people would ask for:

Linux? No
MacOS? No
MS-Windows? No
Android? No
Browser? No
DLNA? No
Wii? No
Xbox? No
PS? No

I have a dozen of various things from the above list and not a single non-TiVo device that will stream TiVo content *LOCALLY*, much less "anywhere".

Oh, let's further expand the lie:

"TiVo Roamio combines the functionality of a DVR, Apple TV, Roku and Slingbox"

mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:27 PM   #24
Goober96

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrizzo80 View Post
If TiVo had ended their PR header/subject with "anywhere on any device" your argument would be valid.
Agreed. "Anywhere" is speaking of geography not devices.
Goober96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:30 PM   #25
tatergator1

Quote:
+1
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:35 PM   #26
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Perhaps, but that seems to be implied that it is any device. The same way if a company says: "Access your account anywhere using the web!!"

And yet it only works in Internet Explorer, it is a lie (perhaps at least a lie of omission). They don't have to say "Access your account anywhere on the web using any web browser" to be a lie, because the expectation by a typical person reading it would be that at least the major web browsers running on typical devices would be supported.

Other irritating marketing examples:

"Everything in the store is 25% off" except all the things listed later in fine print. Lie.

"Get a free phone!" except you have to sign a contract and pay for it anyway... so it is not free, it is a zero down-payment. Lie.

"Buy one get one free" is an oxymoron- something can't be free if you have a required obligation. It is buy one, get one at no additional cost. Lie.

"Unlimited data!" except there are caps and slowdowns and exceptions. How is that not "limited"? Lie.

I have a huge disdain for slimy marketing drivel.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #27
patrickthickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob61 View Post
No Android OS support? Lame.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
+

The whole world uses iOS, after all.

Odd, the sales figures seem to mock that conclusion.
patrickthickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #28
Devx

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleybj View Post
Is that the ATT 6Mbps DSL package? If so, then the upload speed is likely too low to support streaming. I think the upload on the 6Mbps DSL package is 768Kbps or 1Mbps. The 50Mbps Comcast network should be fine.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:32 PM   #29
NeZorf

Does 1) streaming & 2) downloading outside the home work when the Roamio is behind a 'Double NAT' network? Hoping it will work and that there is some sort of magic Tivo proxy.

Can someone check their router for any port forwarding / uPnP entries?

TIA
NeZorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #30
Devx

Still trying to find the sweet spot for "MRV" over LTE. Fastest is watchable, much more than I thought it would be and allows trick play functions almost immediately (its downloading faster than its playing). Hard to get over medium though, it looks great.

Also, a heads-up that OOH downloading also works fine from the Premiere using the stream embedded in the Roamio. In my case, downloading from an Elite using the stream in the Pro.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote