TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #1
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Fox Sports One (and Two)

I noticed this started up this weekend and Fox (the OTA network) has been shilling this for days and even during the SNF they had last night. As of now, there's nothing compelling to watch on it. Eventually they will have some MLB games, so I might watch it then. The NFL show they were pushing just seems like the normal Fox pre-game show with a "B" team crew. I'll pass.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

I think it's an attempt to win back the audience it's lost through losing F1 and the EPL to NBC.

Need to offer way more than UFC and Nascar for me, though.

I understand Fox Soccer is due to disappear to - it's becoming FXX I think.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
jjd_87

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
I think it's an attempt to win back the audience it's lost through losing F1 and the EPL to NBC.

Need to offer way more than UFC and Nascar for me, though.

I understand Fox Soccer is due to disappear to - it's becoming FXX I think.
The had like 10 live fights Saturday. That wasn't good for you?
jjd_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Nope. Don't watch UFC!

(...or Nascar, for that matter!).
Old 08-19-2013, 11:30 AM   #5
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Well, I think it's that, and a LOT more. This is them taking their shot at ESPN, at a time when ESPN could be vulnerable. Plus CBS and NBC both have their own Sports nets as well now. But I think Fox looks at the channel to take a run at ESPN and that's why the big push. They have baseball to put on there, and plenty of college sports, just like ESPN. They will make a run at the NBA eventually as well. Oh, and they have Regis
Old 08-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

As an MMA fan, the UFC presentation and production Saturday night was fantastic.

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #7
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

For now, it's basically still what Speed was. But give it some time to develop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #8
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

DirecTV has an odd configuration for these two channels. "ONE" is in the low 200s and "TWO" is in the 600s. I imagine they will move them together a la ESPN at some point.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #9
cherry ghost

Fox signed a 12 year deal with the USGA that begins in 2015
cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:01 PM   #10
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
Fox signed a 12 year deal with the USGA that begins in 2015
Does that mean you have to have cable or satellite to see the US Open?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:06 PM   #11
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Just a random thought about the proliferation of Sports Networks. I wonder if this is the beginning of the end of OTA networks carrying major sporting events? Outside of the NFL, are the OTAs even making money on those deals? Most of the CFB Bowls are now on ESPN or other cable networks, including some real MAJOR ones, such as the Rose and Sugar. Most major sport playoff games with the exception of the NFL is on cable now too? So could it be that the big 4 networks are going to move everything over to their own Sports Nets where they don't have to deal with affiliates, and can get full advertising dollars?
Old 08-19-2013, 12:07 PM   #12
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
I think for the Men's, and maybe Senior's and Women's, the Thurday and Friday rounds will be on Fox Sports 1 and the weekend will be on Fox.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #13
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
See my post.

As I said, we already see major bowl games only on cable channels, I wonder if many other major events move to cable as well. Major golf and tennis, are two examples we could see. I wonder things like the Kentucky Derby, or the Indy 500 or one off events wind up on cable? It would not shock me, that in ten years, the ONLY major sport on OTA is the NFL.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #14
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Just a random thought about the proliferation of Sports Networks. I wonder if this is the beginning of the end of OTA networks carrying major sporting events? Outside of the NFL, are the OTAs even making money on those deals? Most of the CFB Bowls are now on ESPN or other cable networks, including some real MAJOR ones, such as the Rose and Sugar. Most major sport playoff games with the exception of the NFL is on cable now too? So could it be that the big 4 networks are going to move everything over to their own Sports Nets where they don't have to deal with affiliates, and can get full advertising dollars?
OTA still has a lot of college football on during the regular season. Lots of high profile games.

But I think we are certainly seeing the trend as you describe it.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #15
Azlen

When college football season starts, you'll probably see games on this network that were on FX for the last couple of years. I'm sure they timed their launch so they were on air just before college football started.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #16
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
OTA still has a lot of college football on during the regular season. Lots of high profile games.

But I think we are certainly seeing the trend as you describe it.
I always thought it odd that ABC and the other networks carry regular season CFB games OTA, but when it comes to the Bowl games (which theoretically would have higher ratings, at least Rose and Sugar), they are on cable. I think even the championship game was on ESPN last year (I don't remember, I didn't watch it).
Old 08-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #17
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
When college football season starts, you'll probably see games on this network that were on FX for the last couple of years. I'm sure they timed their launch so they were on air just before college football started.
I'm sure. It's actually the right time to launch. CFB is starting, as is the NFL and MLB is hitting the home stretch, so they can show pennant race games.

The other thing I find kind of interesting is that all four major network have now launched sports networks, yet, the sports themselves ALL have their own networks, and the "junkies" of those sports probably go there first. At least for me, if I want to find out what is happening in baseball, my first stop is MLB Network, and same for the other sports. Even the CFB conferences I think all have their own networks (at least I know that the Big 10 and Pac 12 do).
Old 08-19-2013, 12:18 PM   #18
Azlen

Quote:
I always thought it odd that ABC and the other networks carry regular season CFB games OTA, but when it comes to the Bowl games (which theoretically would have higher ratings, at least Rose and Sugar), they are on cable. I think even the championship game was on ESPN last year (I don't remember, I didn't watch it).
ESPN offered more money. They use the games to justify the high per subscriber cost they charge. There's actually only a handful of bowl games that are OTA now. Sun Bowl, Cotton Bowl and maybe a couple of others. Curious to see if Fox moves the Cotton Bowl to Fox Sports 1 now though.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:33 PM   #19
cheesesteak
Meh.

I'll watch when it inevitably has something on that I want to watch. One thing I know, my cable bill is probably on the way up once this channel and espn go to war and start spending stupid amounts of money on broadcast rights.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #20
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
ESPN offered more money. They use the games to justify the high per subscriber cost they charge. There's actually only a handful of bowl games that are OTA now. Sun Bowl, Cotton Bowl and maybe a couple of others. Curious to see if Fox moves the Cotton Bowl to Fox Sports 1 now though.
Well, ESPN = ABC, so there is no reason those games couldn't be on ABC.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #21
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I'll watch when it inevitably has something on that I want to watch. One thing I know, my cable bill is probably on the way up once this channel and espn go to war and start spending stupid amounts of money on broadcast rights.
And don't forget that NBC will probably want a piece of the pie too. I've yet to figure out what CBS is doing with their sports net. I don't think I've ever watched anything on it.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #22
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Our local cableco (Mediacom) just launched FS1 and an HD channel dedicated to the Iowa State Cyclones....unbelievable. They have a channel dedicated to the Hawkeyes which I can understand give the geographic breadth of their appeal. But Iowa State? Gimme a break....ridiculous....
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #23
Azlen

Quote:
Well, ESPN = ABC, so there is no reason those games couldn't be on ABC.
You would think but obviously Disney wants them on ESPN rather than ABC for a reason. I can only assume that they make more money on ESPN because otherwise there isn't another reason to do it.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #24
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
You would think but obviously Disney wants them on ESPN rather than ABC for a reason. I can only assume that they make more money on ESPN because otherwise there isn't another reason to do it.
Obviously money and control. As I said, to me, that's the first step in sports moving almost exclusively to cable. And I think Fox is planning the same thing for baseball.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #25
cherry ghost

Quote:
and even when ABC does show sports, it's usually labeled as "ESPN on ABC"
Old 08-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #26
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

If they put sports on ESPN, they can schedule not sports on ABC. If they put sports on ABC, they have nothing but sports available.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #27
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
If they put sports on ESPN, they can schedule not sports on ABC. If they put sports on ABC, they have nothing but sports available.
yep, exactly!!
Old 08-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #28
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

There are obligations to show a certain amount of sport on the networks for free and some games are considered 'public interest'. So for this reason, all of the nets have cable versions to show more than they do on the main broadcast channels.

NBC, for example, showed a LOT of EPL over the weekend - a total of four or five games - and they were able to cherry-pick one for showing on the broadcast station (Manchester United). Even Fox would show all the F1 races on Speed, but some would be on the main channel through the season.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #29
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

NBC showed ALL of the EPL games on one channel or the other. (NBC, NBCSN, or the five special "Extra Time" channels they setup just for this.)

Certainly, for college football bowl games, there are quite a few lesser games that make a lot more sense on ESPN than broadcast.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:21 PM   #30
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Well, I think it's that, and a LOT more. This is them taking their shot at ESPN, at a time when ESPN could be vulnerable. Plus CBS and NBC both have their own Sports nets as well now. But I think Fox looks at the channel to take a run at ESPN and that's why the big push. They have baseball to put on there, and plenty of college sports, just like ESPN. They will make a run at the NBA eventually as well. Oh, and they have Regis
With DVRs and streaming and all the other options out there these days, sports is about the only place that advertisers can be reasonably certain that their ads will be seen, because people still watch sports live. And people will demand the ability to see their sports. ESPN has parlayed this into over $500 million per month in subscriber fees, and probably another couple hundred in advertising revenue. All the other networks see this and want in on some of that money. In order to do that, they've got to have a dedicated, national, sports network, then they've got to bid on and win the rights to air content that people will want to see, and then they can raise their subscriber fees when the demand is there.

Quote:
There's a very small percentage of TV households in the US that don't have ESPN (less than 15%, I think). ESPN can make a lot more money by putting the premiere events on cable and then raising their subscriber fees. Every cable provider in the country will pay whatever the amount is, because they'd have a revolt of subscribers if they lost the rights to air ESPN for even a couple of days. So ESPN and the sports leagues have basically decided that they're willing to sacrifice that small percentage of people who don't have cable for the chance to make more money from the people that do have cable.