TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
k2ue
Retired RF Engineer

A Solution to Roamio Plus & Pro Poor IR Sensitivity

The Roamio's IR sensitivity can be returned to the level we experienced with the Premiere & prior models by adding the TiVo IR Adapter option. Since I already had both a Tuning Adapter and a Slide Remote, I also had to add a USB Hub from TiVo's approved list (use the Premiere list).

With the Adapter simply attached with the velcro provided to the top cover at the front right the results are excellent, and my universal remote can now be pointed well away from the TiVo and still communicate. It's a shame we have to pay extra for what should be standard.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2ue View Post
The Roamio's IR sensitivity can be returned to the level we experienced with the Premiere & prior models by adding the TiVo IR Adapter option. Since I already had both a Tuning Adapter and a Slide Remote, I also had to add a USB Hub from TiVo's approved list (use the Premiere list).

With the Adapter simply attached with the velcro provided to the top cover at the front right the results are excellent, and my universal remote can now be pointed well away from the TiVo and still communicate. It's a shame we have to pay extra for what should be standard.
When you say top cover, you are basically laying the little box right on top of the Tivo?

Cool to know that it works.

Maybe Tivo will pull an Apple and give free IR Adapters ;-)

Tivo - Your Pointing at it wrong.

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #3
k2ue
Retired RF Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
When you say top cover, you are basically laying the little box right on top of the Tivo?

Cool to know that it works.

Maybe Tivo will pull an Apple and give free IR Adapters ;-)

Tivo - Your Pointing at it wrong.

-Kevin
Yes, right on top -- I was concerned that double IR paths sometimes cause trouble, but it appears the option just takes over, and there are no conflicts. It has sensors on BOTH the front edge, and the top, so it catches IR bounces off the ceiling also.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #4
consumedsoul

Yeah noticed that the IR on my base Roamio just isn't responsive at all (w/ my Harmony remote) - so just to clarify, do you guys have this:

https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/ir-adapter

...and you just plug into the back of the TiVo unit via usb?
Old 10-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
k2ue
Retired RF Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by consumedsoul View Post
Yeah noticed that the IR on my base Roamio just isn't responsive at all (w/ my Harmony remote) - so just to clarify, do you guys have this:

https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/ir-adapter

...and you just plug into the back of the TiVo unit via usb?
Yes, that's the item, and you just plug it into the USB in back.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
dtivouser

TC CLUB MEMBER
I don't mind the $15 gadget to fix this, but $8.50 for shipping? Eeek. Too bad Amazon Prime doesn't seem to carry this.
dtivouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #7
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtivouser View Post
I don't mind the $15 gadget to fix this, but $8.50 for shipping? Eeek. Too bad Amazon Prime doesn't seem to carry this.
I know really.....$8.93 for ground shipping.

-Kevin
Old 10-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #8
anthonymoody

In another thread someone posted pix of the inside of their Roamio. Turns out that the various parts of the "tube" inside the box that goes from the front face plate to the actual ir receiver are slightly out of alignment such that it requires almost a perfectly straight shot from a remote to get the signal to the receiver.

Iirc he had to spin one part to align it better and once done it had a much wider/better "viewing angle" to receive commands.

I sit pretty much straight in front of my TiVo so I haven't had to so this but I agree the sensitivity ootb stinks.
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #9
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
In another thread someone posted pix of the inside of their Roamio. Turns out that the various parts of the "tube" inside the box that goes from the front face plate to the actual ir receiver are slightly out of alignment such that it requires almost a perfectly straight shot from a remote to get the signal to the receiver.

Iirc he had to spin one part to align it better and once done it had a much wider/better "viewing angle" to receive commands.

I sit pretty much straight in front of my TiVo so I haven't had to so this but I agree the sensitivity ootb stinks.
Here's that thread:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...42#post9825042

Might have to try that.

-Kevin
Old 10-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

Hmmm... I may have to try that too. I hate opening the case on a box with an extended warranty, but I'm having this problem quite a bit and it's annoying.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:02 PM   #11
k2ue
Retired RF Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

My light pipe was well aligned, so there was no gain there. The light pipe itself is the problem -- light/IR is only transmitted down the pipe if it enters the pipe within a critical angle -- beyond that it does not propagate and just leaves the side of the pipe. So you can't really have a good IR receiver using a light pipe. The could have put the little PCB from the IR Accessory at the top edge of the Roamio panel, but I'm assuming they were trying to cut costs. If they can sell it in its own box for $15, they could have done it for $5 in the unit price. Bad choice.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:12 PM   #12
kbmb

Well, I just tried it.....my tube was also mis-aligned, but even rotating it didn't help....it was still mis-aligned. Seems to me to be maybe the way the holes were cut on the cover or the IR sensor on the board itself.

-Kevin
Old 10-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #13
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2ue View Post
My light pipe was well aligned, so there was no gain there. The light pipe itself is the problem -- light/IR is only transmitted down the pipe if it enters the pipe within a critical angle -- beyond that it does not propagate and just leaves the side of the pipe. So you can't really have a good IR receiver using a light pipe. The could have put the little PCB from the IR Accessory at the top edge of the Roamio panel, but I'm assuming they were trying to cut costs. If they can sell it in its own box for $15, they could have done it for $5 in the unit price. Bad choice.
Thanks for the info. I think I might just order the adapter.

-Kevin
Old 10-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #14
kbmb

@k2ue thanks again for the info....my adapter came today and it does greatly expand the IR coverage. I could do without the little light that lights everytime you press a button....but I have the same complaint about the Tivo itself.

-Kevin