TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-02-2014, 12:33 AM   #1
Elgato54

Does Mini go to sleep?

A little of this was discussed in an older thread.

The Mini is connected to a Samsung TV with HDMI and uses a network connection. The Mini is on all the time but the TV is powered off when not in use.
When it has not been in use for several hours the TV will come on to a blank screen. Hitting different buttons including Tivo and live TV seems to do nothing. After a few minutes it will start flashing and appears to be going through all the commands that were previously hit on the remote buttons. It will then settle down and be fine. Very odd.

Thanks
Elgato54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:04 PM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

After a period of time the Mini goes into some kind of screen saver mode. Where a box is floating around on the screen. And inside teh box are the words "Pree Live TV" Or something like that. Once you press the TiVo button or live Tv it come sout of the screen saver mode. Or I guess actually any button on the remote. I know if I hit the TV power button on the slide Pro remote the mini comes out of that mode.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:12 PM   #3
Diana Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgato54 View Post
A little of this was discussed in an older thread.

The Mini is connected to a Samsung TV with HDMI and uses a network connection. The Mini is on all the time but the TV is powered off when not in use.
When it has not been in use for several hours the TV will come on to a blank screen. Hitting different buttons including Tivo and live TV seems to do nothing. After a few minutes it will start flashing and appears to be going through all the commands that were previously hit on the remote buttons. It will then settle down and be fine. Very odd.

Thanks
This is NOT normal behavior. As aaronwt points out, the Mini does go to a screensaver after several hours of inactivity, but any button press on the TiVo remote will wake it up. Normally, you should never see the screensaver unless you leave the TV for more than 4 hours - the button press that turns the TV on also should wake up the Mini (assuming you are using the TiVo remote to operate the TV).

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:57 PM   #4
trip1eX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Collins View Post
This is NOT normal behavior. As aaronwt points out, the Mini does go to a screensaver after several hours of inactivity, but any button press on the TiVo remote will wake it up. Normally, you should never see the screensaver unless you leave the TV for more than 4 hours - the button press that turns the TV on also should wake up the Mini (assuming you are using the TiVo remote to operate the TV).
Yeah my 2 Minis wake up almost immediately. But I think the screen saver on my Minis kick in much quicker than 4hrs. But maybe that is because a show is paused or the Mini is displaying the Main menu.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:35 AM   #5
Series3Sub

The blinking Ethernet lights on my Mini NEVER cease (and the light indicator on my switch is ALWAYS on where the Mini is connected, and its a "GREEN" switch). The thing is in constant contact for speedy wake up and immediate access to everything the Mini offers, not having to ask for an IP address every time I wake it up and want to watch at the Mini, unlike my Smart TV's and Blu-ray machines that do actually turn-off when put in stand by, with the network modem also put to sleep and the indicator light on the switch goes OFF. It takes the Smart TV a few moments to obtain an IP address, then all is golden. I have no problem with the Mini always awake. I like the speedy access once I press the button to get it out of standby without some long wake-up process. I'm sure the TiVo engineers and others preferred a POSITIVE, FAST and reliable customer experience upon demand of the viewer when they made the decision to keep the Mini alive at all times. Fine with me.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote