TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Project Runway Season 12 - all season thread - spoilers to date!

Yes, it's another dreaded Project Runway all-season thread.

Once again, a modest proposal: if you are the person starting the conversation about the current week's episode, it really really really helps the people who are watching 'behind' if you put the OAD and episode title in the post title field. That gives a nice, bold delineation showing that the episode has aired.

Like so:

"Road to the Runway Season 12" OAD 7/18/13 (8 PM)
"Sky's the Limit" episode 1201 OAD 7/18/13 (9 PM)

And now --

LOTS of changes this season.
  • a WHITE runway! hooray!
  • viewers vote to bring back a designer from a previous season
  • designers manage their own budget
  • Tim Gunn gets to put his two cents in during the judges' deliberations
  • Tim has one big SAVE he can pull out during the season
  • judges get to see the clothes close-up after the runway show is over
  • viewers can vote along with the runway show live and the like/dislikes show on screen during some of the shots at the end of the episode

Did you watch the episodes yet? Discuss!

Last edited by murgatroyd : 07-21-2013 at 12:47 PM.
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #2
lalouque
Quilter-Cat Slave

-They said designers have a budget for the entire season, but that didn't say what that budget is.
-Love that they get to look at the clothes up close after the runway show. I always wonder how much designers get away with because the judges only see the clothing briefly on the runway from a distance.
-Oh that poor model with wacky "sustainable" designer. Poor poor thing. I hope he relents and allows at least minimal makeup and hair. I love that the judges called him out on what he was wearing.
lalouque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
Ment

Tim (Not Gunn) - I dub thee Eco-Doosh..

Vagina Drop...I had to google that one to make sure it wasn't an obscure fashion term!
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
When does it /did it start?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:47 PM   #5
Ment

last night. There will be repeat during the weekend I'm sure.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #6
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
The season pass may or may not have picked it up. I will check it out tonight. And yes, they always repeat it. If not over the weekend at least just before the newest one next week.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:10 AM   #7
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

"Road to the Runway" was followed by the first episode.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:36 AM   #8
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

I have to say that I am very optimistic for a very good season here. I know last year I nearly bailed because of the lack of interesting characters/designs and I see a lot of potential so far with this bunch.

And of course more Tim is always a good thing!
Old 07-20-2013, 07:58 AM   #9
paracelsus

I do like that the judges get to examine the clothes up close now - I could never understand how some of the last minute hot glue fixes ever made it through previous shows.

Ecoguy? Wish he had been sent home instead.
paracelsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #10
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Watched it last night. TiVo was smart after all and recorded it!

Loved the first episode but can't figure out how the russian guy could send a model out like that and not get sent home. Same for the guy that burnt his material. I loved that they countered that with burning the parachute caused more fumes into the air and defeated his purpose. LOL.

It will be an interesting group and the changes are good one. I love that the judges look at the dresses afterwards. Nice.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:25 PM   #11
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
Loved the first episode but can't figure out how the russian guy could send a model out like that and not get sent home. Same for the guy that burnt his material. I loved that they countered that with burning the parachute caused more fumes into the air and defeated his purpose. LOL.
Yeah, I thought Zac deserved major points for that comeback.

I hope Designer Green lasts long enough for at least one trip to Mode where he pulls fabric from dead stock. Yes, he's annoying as crap, but I want to see what he comes up with.

(Confession: can't stay away from the remnant bin myself. )
Old 07-20-2013, 12:25 PM   #12
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

I also could not believe they kept "Borat" (yes, I know he is Russian, not from Kazakhstan) - but that is my nickname for the Russian guy-with his mustache and his poor model standing there with her "vagine" - with the black bar over it....that was coo coo bananas! He can't edit himself!
Anyhoo-I like the changes. YAY for more Tim Gunn, it's about time he got invited to the "adult's table!"
Old 07-20-2013, 07:40 PM   #13
Cainebj

I like all the changes also - except I was thinking Michael Kors was coming back for this season so that was a little disappointing.

Sustainable dude has to go - what's his name? Jeremy?

It was odd that I liked him during the road to the runway and when he and the other Milwaukee designer had that moment and she said he was a ****** I thought to myself - what's her problem - and then came the rest of the episode to realize she was right in her assessment.

I agree this season looks promising so far...
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:12 PM   #14
tem

another change is that they don't know what designer did what piece while they go down the runway. The judges only find out after.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:28 PM   #15
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
another change is that they don't know what designer did what piece while they go down the runway. The judges only find out after.
Well, they say it's anonymous, but I am sure they could get a good idea by looking at which designer is staring most intently at the model, and/or who is holding their breath, etc etc. I am sure they try to remain impartial, but don'cha think they can get a good inkling?
Old 07-21-2013, 03:26 AM   #16
USAFSSO

When did the season start. I don't even have this channel in my list. But for some ungodly reason I like this show. I guess I only watch it for Tim...Designerss...Make it work.

USAFSSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #17
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
Well, they say it's anonymous, but I am sure they could get a good idea by looking at which designer is staring most intently at the model, and/or who is holding their breath, etc etc. I am sure they try to remain impartial, but don'cha think they can get a good inkling?
The designers don't have very good poker faces.

The producers have shot themselves in the foot here, because I bet they still do want those "oh my garment looked so fabulous going down the runway, I'm so happy" reaction shots.

So if the designers do learn not to give the whole show away, the producers will be screwed.

Edited to add: since so many people have asked "when does / did it start" I have added the episode titles to the opening post.

Last edited by murgatroyd : 07-21-2013 at 12:46 PM.
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:11 PM   #18
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

I almost gave up last season as well. But this one does look promising.

Man is the sustainable guy the most annoying contestant ever! Yes ever! Even his high heels at the runaway annoyed the crap out of me.

Once again, as always, they eliminate the wrong person. Obviously for drama's sake. If you saw the previews for this season it pays off.
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:50 PM   #19
lalouque
Quilter-Cat Slave

If the designers keep the same models, how is it hidden from the judges who the designer is?? Or was that just for this first challenge?
Old 07-21-2013, 11:19 PM   #20
tem

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalouque View Post
If the designers keep the same models, how is it hidden from the judges who the designer is?? Or was that just for this first challenge?
hmm ... good point. maybe it was just for the first challenge.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:33 PM   #21
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I wish they could have the models walk down the runway and we not have to see OR hear the designers. I usually will just mute that whole time because it bugs me to hear them. I turn sound on again when they bring them all up on state for review.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:31 AM   #22
jradosh
Newlywed

As with so many television shows these days, they've introduced this "interactive" crap that just clutters the screen. During the runway portion they had a yes/no voting thing in the lower left and it was blocking my view of the outfit! I hate this interactive crap and since most TV shows have a synchronized on-line aspect, why not put that crap on the web site instead.

Other than that, I'm enthusiastic about the changes they've introduced.

I feel so bad for eco-unicorn-designer's model. She knows she doesn't stand a chance at winning. Good for her giving him the "FU" by not doing his stupid choreography.

I really liked the woman that was eliminated.

There's no shortage of drama coming up this season.

Check out
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:34 AM   #23
Cainebj

so...
they let sustainable Jeremy who couldn't design a paper bag stay?
that feels like a producer keep to add to the drama.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #24
DouglasPHill

In the many seasons I have watched, the winner had nothing to do with talent and ability. (last season being the exception, although they kept others around longer for producer reasons)
DouglasPHill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:20 PM   #25
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Million Dollar Runway OAD 7/25/2013

If they want the runway show to be anonymous, why not turn the button bag over to Tim, so Heidi won't know which model each designer chose?

Diamonds. <yawn> So twentieth-century.

One thing that struck me about this challenge. They have $4000 for the season. The suggested budget was $300.00. I understand how people might want to save money for later in the season, but what I don't get is why, in a challenge where your design is supposed to showcase those jewels, a designer would choose to spend only $90.

Obligatory rant: learn to sew silk charmeuse before you go on Runway or leave it at Mood. And oh, yeah, learn to use a steamer.

Use your time wisely: if you didn't go around the workroom pretending to be Tim Gunn, or spend your time having Russian hissy fits, you'd have more time to sew and/or learn to use a steamer.

Department of weird fabrics: buckram? For evening wear? Seriously? (used in men's tailoring -- also used to bind books)

Timothy's original design with the rectangle of blue fabric floating in space seemed like a luxe version of the black bar you do on a video to cover up a wardrobe malfunction.

Do they not have enough machines to go around? Or is "somebody messed with my machine" just an excuse?

What designers would you like to see against Sandro in a tacky-off? (They'll never complain about Kayne again....)

Surprised that the judges didn't get the Josephine Baker reference. The stylist doing the hair obviously knew what the intent was.

OMG, the styling on Karen's blue dress. Those shoes, with a red carpet look? Really?

So -- what are the odds that Helen padded her resume? I hope we don't have to put up with her weepy crap all season long.

Was it Alexandria that was all "the weakest link must go!" in the green room? I had to re-run the runway show a couple of times while I was writing this message just to remember what she had done. She overspent the suggested amount, too. It seems like the producers have cast her as the bitch of the season.

I really like the change this season so that the judges get to see the designs up close, and that Tim's allowed to give his input.

The bottom three? My husband's usual battle cry is "send them all home!". It's hard to argue with him this week.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:46 AM   #26
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
So, I will say it. I actually thought Timothy's reverse razorback was an interesting idea. I liked the way it looked and the way it put the jewels on a velvet background - which is what he had wanted.

The woman who broke down and cried? well she should have. That dress was a disaster. It wasn't just that it wasn't made well but it was just plain ugly. The color was not pretty, the model looked awkward walking down the runway in it. I really think she should have gone home instead of the woman that did. I mean, hers was pretty blah but not blah bad, just blah like they said - off the rack.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:31 AM   #27
GoHalos

I think Tim Gunn might have put the final nail in Kahindo's coffin by pointing out the underneath sewing on the silk when the judges were looking closer at her dress. If he hadn't pointed that out, things might have turned out different, as they seemed surprised when they saw that. It was a good call by Tim, however, to suggest to Kahindo that she should cover the silk in the first place, though.
GoHalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:10 AM   #28
Ment

2nd challenge and the divas are already on max. Nice editing on Sandro, I thought he was going to exit stage left this time.

Tim (not Gunn) design aesthetic - get crap, buff it into shiny crap.. he has a cause and is too young to know how to wrap fashion around it.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:03 PM   #29
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
so...
they let sustainable Jeremy who couldn't design a paper bag stay?
that feels like a producer keep to add to the drama.
No doubt. The designer that did get eliminated was boring. Not her design.

That train wreck of a dress (Ms. Nervous Breakdown's) was worse than Jeremy's.
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:39 PM   #30
lalouque
Quilter-Cat Slave

Oh thank gawd, the unicorn is gone!