TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-14-2014, 09:22 PM   #1
ohmark

Month-old Roamio Pro Hanging with spinning circle

Roamio Pro suddenly has begun hanging, with spinning Windows-like circle. For example, clicking on a recorded program frequently results in a blank screen with spinning circle hanging for about 30 seconds to a minute before program starts. Tried power-cycling, but problem remains. Suggestions? Call Tivo for warranty resolution?

Last edited by ohmark : 08-14-2014 at 09:49 PM.
ohmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:02 PM   #2
diphosphine

My four-month old Roamio Pro just started doing the same thing within the last day. I've tried restarting a couple of times to no avail. So far, I've only noticed this behavior within the HD menu system (e.g., when selecting shows in the My Shows screen), not during the actual playback of shows.
diphosphine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:47 PM   #3
ohmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by diphosphine View Post
So far, I've only noticed this behavior within the HD menu system (e.g., when selecting shows in the My Shows screen), not during the actual playback of shows.
Same here.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:11 PM   #4
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Mine was doing the same thing earlier tonight. Seems better, now.

Think it might be TiVo server related, nothing directly related to the Roamio units themselves.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:49 AM   #5
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Mine was doing the same thing earlier tonight. Seems better, now.

Think it might be TiVo server related, nothing directly related to the Roamio units themselves.
We saw this issue last night too. I was thinking it was a TiVo server issue too.
DeltaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:15 AM   #6
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Since receiving the Summer Update:

I have had several occasions where the HDUI just freezes up and the TiVo will not respond, requiring a reboot either via unplugging or the RESOLUTION - Reset button on the back of the Roamio Pro or Format button on the Premiere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:32 AM   #7
mpnret

Mine started the blue spinning circle last night and it continues this morning. Also seeing some pixelation which I assume is related being that I never had it before. Anyone else seeing the pixelation?
mpnret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:49 AM   #8
DigitalDawn

same here
DigitalDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:29 AM   #9
mpnret

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDawn View Post
same here
Including pixelation?
mpnret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:25 AM   #10
bfwk122

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpnret View Post
Including pixelation?
Mine started to do the pause with blue screen with circle going around, but after 30 to 40 second delay it works.. This has only happened in last day or two...Do you think it is related to the Tivo servers? Bob...
Play Station 3
Play Station 4
bfwk122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:45 AM   #11
FitzAusTex

Same here yesterday. Haven't checked today. Rather disappointed that a server could cause my Roamio to become sluggish for things like starting playback of an already recorded program. If a server is actually the cause, me thinks tivo has an overly complicated os.
FitzAusTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:21 AM   #12
ohmark

Assuming from above posts that problem not related to my new Tivo Pro Box, but is some type of server or software problem? Comments?

Last edited by ohmark : 08-15-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:43 AM   #13
jxryan

Same here. Started 2 days ago on my Roamio and Premiere.
jxryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:40 AM   #14
DebbieZ1

So far so good😄

I unplugged my Comcast router first then unplugged both my Roamios. After router rebooted I plugged back in the Tivo's. So far it seems to have done the trick. We shall see.
DebbieZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:03 AM   #15
Silverman

Yes, my basic started doing the circle thing too. I don't see why Tivo server would be involved in playing back a show on my own machines disk. Simple test, disable your internet and see if it plays back normally then. I'll try it later when not in use but we need several to try this. If the problem does end then you know it is not in your box. I wonder if some kind of spy ware, sending what you are playing to some marketing hucksters maybe?. This has to be in that new software update I got a week ago if so.
Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:07 PM   #16
daa

Mine's doing it too.

The Internet hit a bump a couple of days ago, where the number of 'routes' (lists of how to get there from here) exceeded the capacity (about 500,000) of some of the older backbone routers -- resulting in a bunch of connectivity problems. This could be related.
daa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:16 PM   #17
aristoBrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpnret View Post
Mine started the blue spinning circle last night and it continues this morning. Also seeing some pixelation which I assume is related being that I never had it before. Anyone else seeing the pixelation?
Got the spinning circle once last night (30-40 seconds), and some weird pixelation in shows over the last 2-3 days.
Series 3 OLED (x2)
DirecTiVo (x3)
Series 1
aristoBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:30 PM   #18
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverman View Post
I don't see why Tivo server would be involved in playing back a show on my own machines disk.
I don't either. But there's been a dozen or so posts here, obviously all our TiVo's didn't develop the same problem at the same time. Has to be connected to some issue at TiVo HQ.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:11 PM   #19
Geezer64

My Roamio Basic got hit with it last evening as well. Looks to be OK today.
Geezer64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:41 PM   #20
ohmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer64 View Post
Looks to be OK today.
Still a problem for me.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:09 PM   #21
2004raptor

MIne started doing the same thing. My wife noticed it sometime thursday. I went into the menu and selected Standby, I think. Then it appeared to reboot or something??? Does that power cycle it?

Anyways, afterwards I went into a recorded program to see if the same issue persisted and it did not. Haven't been home today to check.
2004raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:10 PM   #22
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverman View Post
Yes, my basic started doing the circle thing too. I don't see why Tivo server would be involved in playing back a show on my own machines disk.
On my 4-tuner Roamio and my 2-tuner Premiere I saw spinning circles briefly several times yesterday. Also, while in System Information (looking about something else) I noticed that VCM connections had failed a couple of times for each box yesterday afternoon. Both made successful connections later, and they seem to be connecting OK today. So some of TiVo's servers may have had some issue yesterday.

The consensus here at TCF is that TiVo's servers should cause delay in the user interface only for server data that's being displayed, but TiVo's programmers seem to intersperse references to non-essential server data with references to local data in ways that sometimes cause problems.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:23 PM   #23
nyjklein
J-E-T-S JetsJetsJets

Had this for the past day or two on all three of my Roamios. Unplugged to reboot my MoCa network gateway and the problem went away.

Jeff
nyjklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:34 PM   #24
aaronwt
HD Addict

The thing I've noticeed with the spinning circles seems to have been with checking content that it has to get online. It seems like something may have changed on their end. Or it's an issue with the last update. But I've run into this recently when checking cast info, episode guides, and future showings.

WHen i first saw the issue I actually removed my Minis off MoCA. Since this slao coincided with an issue I had with a beta firmware on my router. But the issue persisted after changing the router firmware back and going to Ethernet with my Minis. So I put my Minis back on MoCA last night.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:40 PM   #25
DonnieZ

Same here with a Roamio Pro and a Mini.

I see lots of freezes / hangs in the UI, sometimes with the spinning circle - every time I use the TiVo, whether it be to go through recordings that are on the DVR or when using "What to watch now".

My Mini also does the same thing, and I've been getting some random freezes of video on the mini the past couple of days.

I don't watch a lot of TV, however these symptoms were immediately noticeable when I did sit down to watch some TV. I figured it has something to do with the recent software update.

Whatever it is, TiVo needs to get it straightened out. My Roamio / Mini worked perfectly prior to this last update.
DonnieZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:44 PM   #26
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004raptor View Post
Haven't been home today to check.
The delay seems to be gone here. I didn't reboot or do anything -- everything seems to be back to normal.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:14 PM   #27
Sixto

TC CLUB MEMBER
Had same here lasts night.

Sixto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:43 PM   #28
bob61

Had problem start Thursday and still having issues today. Occurs on my Roamio and Minis. Had this similar problem a while back and it was related to TiVo server, I think this is as well.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
bob61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:47 PM   #29
catburt
OldGeek

I had the same issue yesterday. It cleared when I booted tivo last night. Delays seem to be downloading the show previews. Menus that did not have show previews were not affected. It seems the tivo does not cache the immages. If this is true the quality of your internet connection (and to a lesser extent speed) will affect the GUI. Might explain why some users have more issues than others.
catburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:53 PM   #30
mattack

Last night my iPhone & iPad couldn't connect to my Tivos (either out of home or in home). They would think my password was wrong or give "network error".

I know I also saw the spinning cursor at least once in the past day or two too.

Something was apparently messed up on their end.

While *I* don't like it, I think "playing a recording on your end" talks to the servers only to get the info for the bar-of-annoying-icons-at-the-top-that-you-can't-turn-off... to look up related shows or the like.

(yes, I *still* think Tivos are FAR better than the competition.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote