TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #1
Idearat

The Blacklist Sept 30, 2013

Great choice of the Nina Simone song "Sinnerman" for the restaurant escape scene. That was used in The Thomas Crown Affair(1999) for one of the "caper" scenes with lots going on, so for me it immediately invoked the feeling that something tricky was going on.

Having Isabella Rossellini as the bad guy was a great choice. I wonder though of Red's immunity agreement was for future crimes as well as past ones. He admitted to hiring an assassin to poison someone. While she turned out to be bad, there doesn't seem to be any repercussions for him.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
getreal
postcrastinator

For a character with no phone, mail nor address, Red is certainly connected and seemingly "in touch" with people (like the Serb who disarmed the chemical bomb and took it as payment).

I am enjoying this show.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
Beryl

They have some really GOOD actors playing small parts on this show.

The music -- oh yes -- nice selections. What was the song playing at the end when she took the box out of the floor before replacing the carpet?

I'm enjoying the show and it is like Scandal for me in that I can't multitask while watching it but for different reasons. Scandal has dialog which can't be missed and The Blacklist has action.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:19 PM   #4
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
The music -- oh yes -- nice selections. What was the song playing at the end when she took the box out of the floor before replacing the carpet?
Took the box out?

Near the end she put the box back under the floor and then had new carpet installed. Presumably taking the third option that Red hinted at -- do nothing and wait to see if her husband retrieves the box.

Although depending on how she is monitoring it (little piece of something stuck between the trap door and floorboards? hidden camera?), I guess just removing the box and hiding it might work also. She would at least know if he tried to get the box, and whether he comes to ask her about it would be informative. But I think putting the box back and waiting to see what he does with it would be the most potentially informative thing to do.

Last edited by john4200 : 10-01-2013 at 11:26 PM.
john4200 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:55 PM   #5
rifleman69

Show lost me tonight, wanted to like it so much but the stupidity of Montreal made me delete it.

Good luck to the rest of you.
rifleman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:04 AM   #6
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Another great epsiode. We're hooked.

Looks like there is only one more episode coming up over the next few weeks. Is it due to some sports crap or something?
Old 10-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #7
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
I laughed when Lizzie runs up to a car IN MONTREAL and flashes a badge and says FBI and takes the car.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:27 AM   #8
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

This episode did not entertain me as much as the first one.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #9
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

The show is teetering on the edge of ridiculous but hasn't quite fallen over yet. They have set up the cliched seemingly omniscient bad guy in a way that we can still believe it roughly plausible. He has been gone for a long time and could have planned a vast majority of his efforts in advance.

I do wonder why they are willing to let him wander and obtain syringes and the like. I would think they would want a tighter leash.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #10
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post

I do wonder why they are willing to let him wander and obtain syringes and the like. I would think they would want a tighter leash.
He isn't in custody now that his deal is in effect. Plus I don't think it would be hard for his security team to get him whatever he wanted.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #11
pgogborn

Why is he so keen to have a particular chip embedded - will it give him 'special' powers, will it become a device for lazy script writing?
pgogborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #12
rifleman69

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
I laughed when Lizzie runs up to a car IN MONTREAL and flashes a badge and says FBI and takes the car.
That was one big glaring gaffe.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #13
rifleman69

Quote:
He isn't in custody now that his deal is in effect. Plus I don't think it would be hard for his security team to get him whatever he wanted.
But they still should have a tighter leash than what they currently have. From being "trapped" on the boat/ship to running around like a five year old hopped up on sugar, it's borderline ridiculous. Great concept for the show but the presentation is severely lacking or believable.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #14
fliptheflop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
They have some really GOOD actors playing small parts on this show.

I'm enjoying the show and it is like Scandal for me in that I can't multitask while watching it but for different reasons. Scandal has dialog which can't be missed and The Blacklist has action.

Alice Russell Citizens
fliptheflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #15
pgogborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman69 View Post
That was one big glaring gaffe.
Perhaps she thought he was delusional and thought the safest thing to do was to give him the car.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #16
getreal
postcrastinator

Is it just me, or is it obvious to everyone else that they are telegraphing the notion that Red will turn out to be Lizzie's dad?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #17
pgogborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
Is it just me, or is it obvious to everyone else that they are telegraphing the notion that Red will turn out to be Lizzie's dad?
If he is a blood relative I will be disappointed that DNA tests have not already revealed it.

I am enjoying the show because it has one of my favorite themes - people are not who they appear to be.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #18
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
It seems so obvious that I wonder if it will not turn out to be the case. Also, maybe he could be her uncle. But I certainly hope neither of those turns out to be the case, because it should have been easily verified first thing by a DNA test (as soon as he started hinting about family connections, which he did in the pilot).

Maybe he will turn out to be a friend of the family. That would be better than something that could have been tested genetically.
john4200 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #19
Jayjoans

I agree, it's so blatant that I'm hoping it's not true. I'm hopeful that the writers are attempting a head fake and are overplaying their hand rather than giving us the equivalent of a laugh track so we know what's funny.
Jayjoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:46 PM   #20
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptheflop View Post
Alice Russell Citizens
Thanks. She can "holla".
Old 10-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #21
swifty

Quote:
I'm pretty sure they had left Montreal by then. Just the meeting at the restaurant took place there, the fundraiser was in New York.
swifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #22
rifleman69

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
Took the box out?

Near the end she put the box back under the floor and then had new carpet installed. Presumably taking the third option that Red hinted at -- do nothing and wait to see if her husband retrieves the box.

Although depending on how she is monitoring it (little piece of something stuck between the trap door and floorboards? hidden camera?), I guess just removing the box and hiding it might work also. She would at least know if he tried to get the box, and whether he comes to ask her about it would be informative. But I think putting the box back and waiting to see what he does with it would be the most potentially informative thing to do.
Ok this part I did like. Don't worry about the box, let the fiance bring it up if he ever does.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #23
dtivouser

TC CLUB MEMBER
I am really enjoying this show. But yes, yelling "FBI" in Montreal and also giving a $100 tip to the waiter in US dollars was another good one. Why didn't they just go to Chicago or something?
dtivouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:42 PM   #24
smbaker

It's kinda ridiculous, but I enjoy it. I like the dynamic between the characters. I like spader's acting (so not what I'm used to from him)

I'm waiting to see if red escaping custody is intended to happen as often as South Park killing Kenny. I wonder if they'll have him on a tighter leash in Episode 3.

The most absurd part of it is that he seems to know about attacks down to the minute, while seemingly being out of contact and allegedly not using email, phone, or other communication methods. I would think a master criminal's information would quickly become stale.
smbaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:06 AM   #25
mwhip
All better

Quote:
but come on we all know Canadians are so nice they would give you the car no matter what.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #26
mwhip
All better

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgogborn View Post
If he is a blood relative I will be disappointed that DNA tests have not already revealed it.

I am enjoying the show because it has one of my favorite themes - people are not who they appear to be.
There is no way he is the dad because they would have ran DNA first thing. I think in someway he knows her dad or her mom and owes them a favor. Not really sure but I kind of keep thinking of the James, Lily, Snape triangle.

Gamertag - mwhip
Old 10-03-2013, 09:25 AM   #27
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

What does "run DNA" mean here? You think they would have put his DNA into the system and done a cross-comparison against all known DNA entries in order to check for familial similarities? That makes no sense to me.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:30 AM   #28
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtivouser View Post
and also giving a $100 tip to the waiter in US dollars was another good one
The last time we were in Canada we could use US money to pay for stuff. I didn't really think anything was weird about giving him free money in US dollars.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #29
mwhip
All better

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
What does "run DNA" mean here? You think they would have put his DNA into the system and done a cross-comparison against all known DNA entries in order to check for familial similarities? That makes no sense to me.
I think when he turned himself in and asked for Lizzie at that point not knowing their connection and knowing she does not her know her father that protocol would dictate that they do DNA test on both of them.

Gamertag - mwhip
Old 10-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #30
DLiquid
Progressive User

I'm pretty sure a Canadian waiter would accept a $100 USD tip.

I didn't expect to like this show, but so far I do. Most of that is due to Spader's excellent acting in this role. I wish the female lead didn't look like a beauty pageant contestant, though.
DLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote