TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-22-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
lreinstein

Cable signal and snr too strong. Huh?

In the midst of installing my new ROAMIO pro. TiVo service asked me to tell him signal strength and SNR for a few channels. They were 99% and 39 or 40db

He told me to call my cable service and have him weaken the signal... That it is too strong for the TIVO.

CAN anyone explain this? Should I do that?

Thanks

Larry
lreinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:42 PM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I don't know if anyone can explain why, but it has come up in the past that too strong a signal can cause problems.

Some people have reported such here, but their signal strengths were 100%, possibly even hotter. It was suggested to those users that they attenuate their signal, which subsequently helped with the problem.

I would say if you don't have any problems, don't worry about it, but keep an eye out.
It won't hurt anything if you try this, you can just undo it. It's really not something the cable company has to do, you can do it yourself if you are concerned about a service charge from the cable co.
You can buy the attenuator, from say Amazon, and install it on the cable going to the Tivo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:15 AM   #3
SNJpage1

I had this problem and had to add some lost to the signal with an attenuator. It made a big difference.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:10 AM   #4
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJpage1 View Post
I had this problem and had to add some lost to the signal with an attenuator. It made a big difference.
Signal strength of 99 should not be a problem. Are you saying you had this problem with a signal strength less than 100?

SNR=40 dB is unusually high but should be no problem at all if the signal strength is less than 100.

That said, attenuators are so cheap and easy to deploy that ... why not try them?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:51 AM   #5
lreinstein

Thanks.

What symptoms should I be on the lookout for?..

All seems working now ...with one exception!

About half the channels that used to be in HD are now showing in SD? Can this be related?

Or what would cause this?
Old 10-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Are they really SD, or are they HD channels showing with the wrong aspect ratio? Not sure about Roamio's but there will be a setting for controlling aspect ratio.

and
Old 10-23-2013, 02:36 PM   #7
lreinstein

They are really SD.

Larry
Old 10-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
dlfl
Cranky old novice

OK, I see you've started a separate thread on this, so we should continue any further discussion there rather than double-posting:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=510413

and