TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-03-2014, 10:05 PM   #91
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rubin View Post
problem resolved Comcast resolved this for me by fixing some CC permissions Thanks to all: I now love my Roamio
Gee what a shock, a Cablecard pairing/activation/provisioning issue after all!

I'm happy you're all set now!
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:54 PM   #92
Hyrax

I've been plagued by station not authorized errors. I seem to have gotten rid of them by setting the Roamio to only allow 4 tuners to be used. Does this mean that a firmware update of my Cisco Cable card should be done? My current cable card is version 1.5.2_F 3001, and I've been told 1.5.3 1101 is the most recent.
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:15 AM   #93
IceBlue

I ordered the attenuator pack from SmartHome (http://www.smarthome.com/7800/Signal...Mix-Bag/p.aspx) and lowered my signal to 37dB. The signal strength bounces between 95-100% after using the 10dB attenuator, the signal was coming in at 42dB prior to adding it. It has only been a couple of days, but i haven't had any v53 errors since. MoCA speeds do not seem dramatically impacted, PHY rates are nearly the same after adding at 245/250ish.

The kit was $13 shipped, and I'm willing to sell my unused 1/2 of the kit for $6 paypal shipped. You will get one each 3/6/10/20 dB attenuators.
PM me if interested.
IceBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:15 AM   #94
rjbell4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBlue View Post
The kit was $13 shipped, and I'm willing to sell my unused 1/2 of the kit for $6 paypal shipped. You will get one each 3/6/10/20 dB attenuators.
PM me if interested.
I'm interested, but need a few more posts until I can PM you. This is post #7 ...
rjbell4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:19 PM   #95
IceBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbell4 View Post
I'm interested, but need a few more posts until I can PM you. This is post #7 ...
I still have them. PM me your paypal email address and I will send you an invoice.
IceBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:56 PM   #96
simon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7 View Post
So... replaced the Roamio, 4 sets of cable cards, and a tech visit, yet I'm still having the same problems. I really messed up not dumping the whole Roamio concept within the first 30 days. And, previously, I had three working Premieres/HDs on the same lines for years. WTF?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahwman View Post
I completely understand your frustration as I've been dealing with a very similar issue among others since I purchased my Roamio Pro. There are many people having these types of issues and TiVo is going to have to find a fix as this is simply unacceptable to deliver a product to the masses that doesn't function correctly. At this time, TiVo is working with my cable company to resolve my tuning adapter issues which forces me to power-cycle my TA every few days as I keep losing all of my SDV channels. My cable company has been able to review the log files from my TA and can prove this is a TiVo issue - so perhaps this will prompt TiVo to FINALY accept responsibility for the problem and take the necessary steps to resolve it. Think back to the days of suggestions not recording with a TA attached and TiVo blamed the cable companies for blocking tuning requests (too funny). Low and behold they finally pushed out a patch to fix the problem. Hopefully this will play out the same way...
Well, add an attenuation kit to my list of attempted fixes... Three months and numerous labor hours later and I still don't have a consistently working Roamio.
simon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:24 PM   #97
ahwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7 View Post
Well, add an attenuation kit to my list of attempted fixes... Three months and numerous labor hours later and I still don't have a consistently working Roamio.
This is plain and simply a TiVo issue with the Roamio line and I now have unequivocal proof after ruling EVERY single component out with the exception of the Roamio itself. I have been working directly with the head engineer of my cable company on this issue for months now. They have even loaned me their personal Roamio for testing purposes. Every square inch of my service has been checked multiple times from the pole right to my TiVo. That said, here is my proof it is a TiVo issue.

Set up: Two TiVo Premiere's running side by side using two brand new Motorola tuning adapters with latest firmware as well as Motorola CC's also with the latest firmware. SDV channels working on both units for 3-7 days and bam, one will lose all it's SDV channels returning a V53 error. Second unit will exhibit identical behavior within a few days. Restarting/power cycling the TiVo's has no effect. The only way to restore SDV channels is to power-cycle the TA's. Now, before to say to yourself, it's the TA's failing - keep reading. If I swap the TiVo's out with the TA's without power-cycling either TA, when the TiVo's reboot - all SDV channels return until the next failure again usually 3-7 days. Keep in mind that during this time the TA's never lose sync. The head engineer believes this is either a latency issue with the TiVo's which eventually breaks the handshake between the two devices or the TiVo stops reading the carousel file on the TA itself. Power-cycling the TA or swapping the TiVo out with the other TA forces a new handshake to occur which rebuilds the connection and restores SDV channels. TiVo needs to fix this plain and simple as like many I have grown tired of the constant baby sitting my TiVo ever since my purchase...
ahwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:49 AM   #98
Floridaman

According to a very reliable source at TIVO you know longer have to attenuate the signal on the new Roamios. This came directly from TIVO M. The people in support have no clue when it comes to SNR.
Floridaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:32 PM   #99
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaman View Post
According to a very reliable source at TIVO you know longer have to attenuate the signal on the new Roamios. This came directly from TIVO M. The people in support have no clue when it comes to SNR.
So how did they fix that without new hardware?
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:16 PM   #100
Floridaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
So how did they fix that without new hardware?
I am only passing on information that was sent to me in an email.
Floridaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:44 AM   #101
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornmustang View Post
I have similar issues from time to time. Every now and then I get a Channel Not Available error. Flipping channels or changing tuners usually gets this message to go away. Although sometimes it takes a few minutes for it to clear. I have Comcast with 98-100% signal and 39-41 db SNR. Using multiple splitters I was able to get my signal down to 90-94% and SNR of 35-37 dB, and I still had the problem. So I went back to my original configuration. I think there must be a software issue or issue with TIVO's tuner design.
My 4-tuner Roamio (OTA only) had an interesting event last night, which I might blame on a tuning adapter if I had such a thing. I noticed that the main HD channel of a local station with serious multipath problems was showing an error (V53, I think), as it does sometimes, but oddly the .2 subchannel was being received just fine on a different tuner. So I checked my 2-tuner Premiere, and it was receiving the main channel just fine. After checking back and forth a couple of times, I used channel-down to retune the Roamio's tuner lower, then channel-up to retune the problem channel, and it was immediately received perfectly. I realized afterward that I should have checked the Diagnostics screen to see if this looked similar to the odd error-counting situation I saw on March 1st, but in that case I think the signal was actually glitchy when the strangeness occurred.

I'm thinking that under some circumstances the Roamio tuner can see a glitch that it treats like an infinite loop in the data stream, causing it to seize up and stop accepting data. And I wonder if a signal strong enough to overdrive something could cause such a problem. If that sort of lockup isn't impossible by definition in the design of the modulation method, then the chipset should immediately detect when it is being overrun by data and clear its buffer. And if the chipset doesn't do that, then some task in the supporting software needs to monitor the chipset closely to detect the seized-up data-overrun condition promptly and tell the chipset to clear or retune or reset or something to clear the lockup. TiVo's programmers need to review the functional characteristics manual for the chipset and consult with the chipset engineers as necessary to get this fixed.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:28 PM   #102
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
My 4-tuner Roamio (OTA only) had an interesting event last night, which I might blame on a tuning adapter if I had such a thing. I noticed that the main HD channel of a local station with serious multipath problems was showing an error (V53, I think), as it does sometimes, but oddly the .2 subchannel was being received just fine on a different tuner. So I checked my 2-tuner Premiere, and it was receiving the main channel just fine. After checking back and forth a couple of times, I used channel-down to retune the Roamio's tuner lower, then channel-up to retune the problem channel, and it was immediately received perfectly. I realized afterward that I should have checked the Diagnostics screen to see if this looked similar to the odd error-counting situation I saw on March 1st, but in that case I think the signal was actually glitchy when the strangeness occurred.

I'm thinking that under some circumstances the Roamio tuner can see a glitch that it treats like an infinite loop in the data stream, causing it to seize up and stop accepting data. And I wonder if a signal strong enough to overdrive something could cause such a problem. If that sort of lockup isn't impossible by definition in the design of the modulation method, then the chipset should immediately detect when it is being overrun by data and clear its buffer. And if the chipset doesn't do that, then some task in the supporting software needs to monitor the chipset closely to detect the seized-up data-overrun condition promptly and tell the chipset to clear or retune or reset or something to clear the lockup. TiVo's programmers need to review the functional characteristics manual for the chipset and consult with the chipset engineers as necessary to get this fixed.
I've experienced issues like this as well. I have no idea what a "multipath problems" are. I posted a longer reply in the thread you referenced.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote