TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-18-2014, 04:51 PM   #1
dsiebenh

Is this MOCA - approved?

New Roamio, works great. Now I'm adding MOCA Minis.

Incoming cable hits a splitter. One leg goes to the ethernet router, the other to the Roamio.

Now I want to add 2 Minis via MOCA. I would like to create the MOCA network with the Roamio. BUT, the coax port on the Roamio is already occupied by the Cable TV feed.

Can I split the Cable TV cable so one leg goes to the Roamio and the second leg goes to my home's Cable infrastructure? Will this allow the Roamio to 1) receive the Cable TV feed via the coax port and also 2) back feed the MOCA signal into the splitter (via the one coax port), and therefore into my home's cable infrastructure?

Thanks.
dsiebenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:05 PM   #2
shrike4242

I think you're over-complicating the issue.

If you want to use the Roamio as your MoCA bridge, you just need to wire the Roamio into your router via Ethernet and set the Roamio to use MoCA + Ethernet. The Roamio will act as a bridge between the Mini units running on MoCA and the router.

Since my Roamio isn't near my router, I have an Actiontec ECB3500T01 wired into my router and into my coax. Works like a champ, though would a ECB2500 or ECB2200. Many people have a MoCA adapter wired into their router acting as the bridge between router and coax wiring.

Former:
Sony S1, Toshiba RS-TX20 w/DVD burner, Tivo S2, S2 DT, S3, TivoHD, Premiere XL
shrike4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:14 PM   #3
dsiebenh

But then in your scenario, how am I getting a cable TV feed?

My cable TV feed does not use my MOCA house wiring. The MOCA infrastructure is in the attic, with a drop to the Roamio on the first floor.

The cable guy just ran a new drop to the Roamio on the first floor, bypassing the existing cable in the house (which I will use for MOCA.)
Old 04-18-2014, 06:16 PM   #4
shrike4242

Unless the wiring for coax in your house is two separate loops, which I have seen some forum members have, MoCA will go across the same piece of coax as the cable TV.

Does your cable TV feed only have one drop, right to the Roamio and go nowhere else on the house? I'm a little unsure of what you mean by "MoCA house wiring", is that a separate loop of coax versus what you have for cable TV?

Former:
Sony S1, Toshiba RS-TX20 w/DVD burner, Tivo S2, S2 DT, S3, TivoHD, Premiere XL
shrike4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:32 PM   #5
AdamNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike4242 View Post
Unless the wiring for coax in your house is two separate loops, which I have seen some forum members have, MoCA will go across the same piece of coax as the cable TV.

Does your cable TV feed only have one drop, right to the Roamio and go nowhere else on the house? I'm a little unsure of what you mean by "MoCA house wiring", is that a separate loop of coax versus what you have for cable TV?
Yes OP, please explain your coaxial cable wiring setup better.

Normally you have Cable service come into your house and then u split that line so that it goes to all the TVs in the house. The point of MOCA is to use the existing wiring that most homes already have for Cable TV and also provided network/internet access on the same wire simultaneously (same wire different frequencies, both operate at the same time).

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:23 AM   #6
dsiebenh

Think of my "MOCA" wiring as my DirecTV wiring, which it is. The dish is on the roof, the splitter in the attic with home runs to each TV / Decoder.

I'm switching to cable. Dropping DirecTV. The cable tech just came in and dropped the cable where the new TiVo is, in the Family Room on first floor. The incoming cable does not touch the "MOCA"/DirecTV cabling.

So now I want to essentially have 3 connections on the Roamio. 1) Ethernet. 2) Incoming cable TV. 3) MOCA cabling. I will use the MOCA cabling for 2 Minis.

What I am wondering is if I can put a splitter on the incoming cable. One leg would go to the Roamio. The other leg to the "MOCA" network. It seems to me that this would join the 2 networks and make both available to the Roamio, if it is "legal".

Make sense? Thanks.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:27 AM   #7
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsiebenh View Post
What I am wondering is if I can put a splitter on the incoming cable. One leg would go to the Roamio. The other leg to the "MOCA" network. It seems to me that this would join the 2 networks and make both available to the Roamio, if it is "legal".
Yes, you can do that, and it is perfectly legal to do so.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:41 PM   #8
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsiebenh View Post
Think of my "MOCA" wiring as my DirecTV wiring, which it is. The dish is on the roof, the splitter in the attic with home runs to each TV / Decoder. I'm switching to cable. Dropping DirecTV. The cable tech just came in and dropped the cable where the new TiVo is, in the Family Room on first floor. The incoming cable does not touch the "MOCA"/DirecTV cabling. So now I want to essentially have 3 connections on the Roamio. 1) Ethernet. 2) Incoming cable TV. 3) MOCA cabling. I will use the MOCA cabling for 2 Minis. What I am wondering is if I can put a splitter on the incoming cable. One leg would go to the Roamio. The other leg to the "MOCA" network. It seems to me that this would join the 2 networks and make both available to the Roamio, if it is "legal". Make sense? Thanks.
You have the same setup as I do. What model Roamio do you have? If the basic, then you should also be able to just use your old DirecTV DECA units as pseudo "MoCA" devices if you want or need to save some cash by not buying new moca adapters. Works great for me. Just don't put any raw rf cable signals on the "MoCA" line as the two frequencies will interfere if using deca.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:15 AM   #9
dsiebenh

Splitting the incoming cable, and sending half to the Roamio Plus MOCA port, and the other half to my MOCA network does work. As long as my MOCA network is 5 feet long it works great, and I had a new Mini running flawlessly.

When I attempted to use the in house "MOCA / Directv" network I had issues. I have the feeling it is time to tone out and label some of the MOCA home runs, check the splitters and cables etc.

Is there any screen on a Roamio or Mini that gives an indication of MOCA strength? Or is it just "picture" or "no picture"?