TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-06-2014, 11:45 PM   #1
radioflyer410

MOCA With Roamio pro question

I have read dozens of threads but have not seen one that seems to apply to my situation. I am moving into an apartment building in Oakland Ca and will be using a Roamio Pro with two minis. I'd like to plan the Moca network. Here's the situation...

I will be using Comcast for my TV but a different vendor (web pass) for Internet. The two services enter the premises in different rooms. Comcast comes through in a communications box located in the master bedroom closet. Then there are four separate cables going to four outlets around the apartment.

Web pass comes in the second bedroom which will be configured as an office. That room has one cable run from the communications box.

Most of the active TV viewing/Tivo usage will occur in the living room, which is relatively far away from the TV and Internet entry points.

I was thinking of doing one of two things...

1) place a Moca adapter in the second bedroom, attaching the cable outlet as well as the Ethernet output. But if I do that what kind of splitter setup do I need at the communications box in order to make the Moca network work?

2) Alternately, I suppose I could place the Roamio in the office and hook it up to the cable outlet and Ethernet there. But again, what configuration does my wiring need to be at the communications box for Moca to work?

Thanks for your help and advice!
radioflyer410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:29 AM   #2
AdamNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioflyer410 View Post
I have read dozens of threads but have not seen one that seems to apply to my situation. I am moving into an apartment building in Oakland Ca and will be using a Roamio Pro with two minis. I'd like to plan the Moca network. Here's the situation...

I will be using Comcast for my TV but a different vendor (web pass) for Internet. The two services enter the premises in different rooms. Comcast comes through in a communications box located in the master bedroom closet. Then there are four separate cables going to four outlets around the apartment.

Web pass comes in the second bedroom which will be configured as an office. That room has one cable run from the communications box.

Most of the active TV viewing/Tivo usage will occur in the living room, which is relatively far away from the TV and Internet entry points.

I was thinking of doing one of two things...

1) place a Moca adapter in the second bedroom, attaching the cable outlet as well as the Ethernet output. But if I do that what kind of splitter setup do I need at the communications box in order to make the Moca network work?

2) Alternately, I suppose I could place the Roamio in the office and hook it up to the cable outlet and Ethernet there. But again, what configuration does my wiring need to be at the communications box for Moca to work?

Thanks for your help and advice!

In the 'communications box located in the master bedroom closet', you have one comcast cable going into a 4 way splitter then feeds the four drops inside the apartment?

If so, then you won't have a problem. Get a MOCA adapter in the second bedroom to enable moca over the apartment internal coaxial cabling. You should also get a MOCA POE Filter (https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/moca-poe) and place it inside 'communications box located in the master bedroom closet', inline between the line coming from comcast and the in jack on the 4 way splitter.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:04 AM   #3
BigJimOutlaw

Either option will work without doing anything special. I'd go with option 1 so your Tivo can be where you want it to be.

As AdamNJ says, a POE filter on the input side of the 4-way splitter would be ideal, to keep your moca traffic inside your own apartment. That's pretty much all there is to it.

If you wanna be super-sure everything will work, just make sure the splitter is labeled for at least 1000MHz (1GHz), though it's probably fine.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:11 AM   #4
radioflyer410

Great to hear! Thank you both for your answers.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:55 PM   #5
Headford

I've had problems with MoCA and 1Ghz rated splitters, swapping them out with 2 Ghz splitters solved my problem
Headford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:53 PM   #6
radioflyer410

Hey guys, I have a follow-up question...

I moved in to my place over the weekend, got the Roamio installed just fine and am waiting for web pass to be installed this week. However I had a related question regarding networking setup #1 described in the first post above.

Does the Moca adapter take one of the outputs from the router, which will be in the same room? I assume I would have to do that so that all of the devices downstream of the Moca adapter can be assigned IP addresses, right?

Thanks
Old 04-20-2014, 10:21 PM   #7
BigJimOutlaw

Correct, the moca adapter connects to one of the LAN ethernet ports on the router.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:30 PM   #8
radioflyer410

Thanks BigJim!