TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:05 PM   #151
moyekj

That is good info. Looks like my ISP upload limit of 2 Mbps may not be much of an issue after all. For my Slingbox 350 video quality looks OK down to about 600 Kbps but anything below that is pretty awful.

For those that have used OOH streaming quite a bit already, what are the control delays like? For bad connections Sling can have several seconds of lag (I've seen it up to 20 seconds for poor connection speeds).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by moyekj : 10-24-2013 at 11:10 PM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:27 PM   #152
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I spent most of the night at a friends house playing around with the app.

Controls are just like local streaming, no delay. It seems like it is buffering and all the control is being handled on the iPad - at least that is how it feels.

Nothing like the delay you get from slingbox.

I think my only real disappointment is that you can only serve one device at a time. I get it, upload speed is going to be the bottleneck - but it predict conflicts!
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo

Last edited by bradleys : 10-24-2013 at 11:44 PM.
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:20 AM   #153
macevedo

After the app update I can stream Out of Home but now I can't In Home. LOL, shouldn't I be having problems with the NEW stuff?

I was also able to set it up from my brothers network, without having to be in-home to get it to work.

Last edited by macevedo : 10-25-2013 at 05:21 AM. Reason: typo
macevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:10 AM   #154
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
But especially relevant today.
My point is continually repeating the same old crap isn't gonna change anything...exercise in futility.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:16 AM   #155
mike1273

Quote:
Originally Posted by overFEDEXed View Post
Mike,

Go into My3G settings, then click on "Tivo" in the list. You will then see a green check mark next to it. Then hit the little blue arrow and hit the "Use Direct Flag" to turn it on.

Let me know if you get it to work.
I tried all combinations of My3G settings with no luck.

Any other ideas.

Thanks!
mike1273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #156
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I documented a built in work around.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=510477
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 10-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #157
RustySTL

I'm trying to download over LTE and it's painfully slow, much slower than what I would have expected with LTE. And usually it will just disconnect and stop. I'm downloading an SD program on the Basic setting.
When it disconnects I get the message "Box Not Responding - Your box is not responding. Press "OK" to retry the connection."
I'm wondering if it's something at home with the box, router or just the LTE network where I'm at.
RustySTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:12 AM   #158
bradleys
It'll be fine....

What is your upload speed at home? Who is your internet provider?
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 10-25-2013, 09:33 AM   #159
overFEDEXed

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
I documented a built in work around.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=510477
Thanks for that. It works great.
It also gives me another option, when I'm using my 5S.
overFEDEXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #160
jmpage2

Anybody else tried to stream out of the local network and receive the message "out of home streaming is disabled - contact your cable provider"?

I tried it at a Starbucks and it failed with above error.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #161
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Anybody else tried to stream out of the local network and receive the message "out of home streaming is disabled - contact your cable provider"?

Ouch! Who is your cable provider?
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 10-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #162
jmpage2

Quote:
Ouch! Who is your cable provider?
Comcast.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #163
lickwid

Quote:
Comcast.
I have Comcast, I'll give it a shot today and check back. I setup it up last night when I got home from work. Disconnected from WiFi and was able to do it via Verizon LTE. This was on my iPhone 5S. Quality was pretty good, comparable to connecting to my friend's Slingbox 500. I'll try it again today when I'm running errands.

I download first, wait a few minutes, then start playback. Is a nice workaround to get "streaming" to work.
lickwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #164
chrislemasters

Thumbs up Solved

Quote:

SOLVED! Yes, I had this (I have Cox). I bet you have more than one TiVo and you are connect to the non-ROAMIO on the iphone app. Just select a different TiVo. Voila! It works.
chrislemasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #165
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislemasters View Post
SOLVED! Yes, I had this (I have Cox). I bet you have more than one TiVo and you are connect to the non-ROAMIO on the iphone app. Just select a different TiVo. Voila! It works.
I only have one main TiVo but I do have two Minis. I don't believe the Mini was selected but I can't completely rule it out.

I tried streaming a 2nd time at a different Starbucks location (yep, I drink a lot of coffee) and this time it worked, although it stopped streaming after about 60 seconds (the playback was simply showing a static image even though it still showed wi-fi connected).

Perhaps Starbucks just has really restrictive or really crappy Wi-fi connectivity.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #166
ShoutingMan

I just tried it. It works but quality is terrible. I got 2 boxes for video quality. At home I've got Fios, with 5 Mpbs upload. I'm watching from another home network, with about 5 Mbps. Not sure this will any practical value, especially on dodgy airport or hotel wifi, which is where I'd want it.

And I think this update caused problems with the download to iPad feature. I've not able to download shows normally the past couple days. Hopefully I can get that working soon; that's an important feature for me.

Hopefully some minor bugs that when will get fixed soon.
ShoutingMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:41 PM   #167
Devx

Just to repeat/add, streaming from the Premiere does work while using the Stream built-in to the Roamio. Admittedly, I'm playing an active download but it works via Comcast. I'm streaming from my Elite right now over LTE and the scrub bar is filling in faster than the show is playing and gaining on me.

I'm still thinking LTE is best for this. Wifi will be hit or miss depending on location.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #168
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoutingMan View Post
I just tried it. It works but quality is terrible. I got 2 boxes for video quality. At home I've got Fios, with 5 Mpbs upload. I'm watching from another home network, with about 5 Mbps. Not sure this will any practical value, especially on dodgy airport or hotel wifi, which is where I'd want it.

And I think this update caused problems with the download to iPad feature. I've not able to download shows normally the past couple days. Hopefully I can get that working soon; that's an important feature for me.

The hot ticket in those situations with dodgy wi-fi would be to download enough of the program to begin playback. At low quality you would be able to start playing back in just a few minutes if other posts are correct.

This is a big advantage over Sling. When Sling is crappy because of network quality there's not a damn thing you can do about it.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:53 PM   #169
RustySTL

Quote:
What is your upload speed at home? Who is your internet provider?
Upload speed is 3Mb and I have Charter. I haven't had a chance to see if I can stream away from home yet.
RustySTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:13 PM   #170
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

Quote:

The first time I streamed away from home I had only 2 boxes. A few minutes later it was pegged out. (I have 20 Mbps upstream.)

Maybe it takes a couple times to configure it correctly?
Old 10-26-2013, 12:21 AM   #171
sleepdragon

I am having problem with OOH streaming as well..
When using the LTE work around, I tried to start a new download but stuck on calculating
When connecting to outside WIFI, I got stuck on setting up your streaming session..

Do I need to enable upnp or port trigger or port forwarding on my router??
My Roamio Plus is connected directly to my router
sleepdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:57 AM   #172
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

The hot ticket in those situations with dodgy wi-fi would be to download enough of the program to begin playback. At low quality you would be able to start playing back in just a few minutes if other posts are correct.

This is a big advantage over Sling. When Sling is crappy because of network quality there's not a damn thing you can do about it.
But If you are in an area with good cellular, then it is never crappy. Here in the dc area with Verizon LTE, I get 4 g almost everywhere. Even down several subfloors in buildings without cellular reinforcement. It's extremely rare for me not to have a 4 G signal in this area. And even on the rare times that I drop to 3 g the slingbox streams Fine as long as it uses sd quality.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:04 AM   #173
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
But If you are in an area with good cellular, then it is never crappy. Here in the dc area with Verizon LTE, I get 4 g almost everywhere. Even down several subfloors in buildings without cellular reinforcement. It's extremely rare for me not to have a 4 G signal in this area. And even on the rare times that I drop to 3 g the slingbox streams Fine as long as it uses sd quality.
I'm a communications engineer who used to travel for work extensively. I have never been to any city that did not have plenty of crappy coverage areas, or areas that show a strong signal but in fact deliver a terrible one.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:14 AM   #174
bradleys
It'll be fine....

On the other hand, it is almost impossible to find a place that has complimentary wifi anymore. Restaurants, the ice center during figure skating practice, I have been looking for wifi since release trying to test functionality - nothing.

I finally went to a friends house to the other day.

I am sure glad I have LTE on my tablet!
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 10-26-2013, 02:13 PM   #175
mike1273

Quote:
Originally Posted by overFEDEXed View Post
Thanks for that. It works great.
It also gives me another option, when I'm using my 5S.
Using 3G Unrestrictor with my jailbroken 4S, I am able to stream over 4G.

Even the copy once channels on Suddenlink.
mike1273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #176
overFEDEXed

Great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1273 View Post
Using 3G Unrestrictor with my jailbroken 4S, I am able to stream over 4G.

Even the copy once channels on Suddenlink.
I was using 3G Unrestrictor, until I switched to My3G.
I'm glad that you got it working.

I'm using my 5S now, so no JB fun for me.
It's funny how you get use to so much freedom and so many extra features, then you just do without. Oh well.

Last edited by overFEDEXed : 10-26-2013 at 05:37 PM.
overFEDEXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:52 PM   #177
ShoutingMan

Quote:

Following up on my previous post: I tried streaming an episode of Robot Chicken. It started it low quality, but partway through it noticeably improved. Perhaps there some buffering happening in the background. So, streaming is more useful than it first seemed. (Not amazing, but better than nothing)

I later successfully downloaded, via OOH, a full hour of Shark Tank at medium quality (600MB). I watched a previously downloaded copy of The Michael J Fox show, and it kept downloading in the background. I started watching about the Shark Tank halfway through its download. It completed downloading while I watched, and was able to view the whole episode without issue.

This was a very positive experience. I'm hopeful that when I get back home, I'll be able to download shows directly, quickly and easily again.
ShoutingMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:39 AM   #178
Devx

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepdragon View Post
I am having problem with OOH streaming as well..
When using the LTE work around, I tried to start a new download but stuck on calculating
When connecting to outside WIFI, I got stuck on setting up your streaming session..

Do I need to enable upnp or port trigger or port forwarding on my router??
My Roamio Plus is connected directly to my router
Do you know what your internet provider upload speed is on the Tivo network? Shouldn't have to change any settings on the router.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:10 AM   #179
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
I'm a communications engineer who used to travel for work extensively. I have never been to any city that did not have plenty of crappy coverage areas, or areas that show a strong signal but in fact deliver a terrible one.
One of the places I can get bad coverage is if I go near the Secret Service building. Everyone seems to lose signals there but everyone also says that it is because they are actually doing something to block the signals. WHich makes sense because there used to be no issue, and then one day everyone started having issues getting a cellular signal.

With Verizon 4G being in the 700Mhz spectrum, it penetrates buildings very easily. In many places where I can easily get 4G, I cannot get a 3G signal. I don't go everywhere in the DC area but I do go in many of the areas. And I get superb coverage from Verizon 4G. As I said even several sub floors down in building without cellular reinforcement. It might be only one or two bars but that is more than enough to stream from my SLingBox. If the building has cellular reinforcement, I will get five bars of 4G and 3G in the sub levels of the buildings.

Although each year more and more buildings add Distributed Antenna Systems to give good cellular signals to every one. The federal agency I'm a contractor with just signed a contract with my company to outfit another one of their buildings with a DAS for cellular reinforcement. Many people have cellular issues in that building, even on the upper floors, but I have no issues in that building with Verizon.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 10-27-2013 at 10:18 AM.
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote