TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #121
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
Both publicly and privately I've heard Android in 2013 on multiple occasions, starting in 2012. Jason Nealis of RCN was also banking on 2013 based on his collaboration with TiVo and was upset when it was pushed to 2014. But it is what it is.
I went through some of my Twitter exchanges with Jason... as of August he was still thinking late fall. After his September pow-wow with TiVo, he said Q1 2014. Q4 2013 is what I'd been hearing for several months as well, until his tweet with the revised schedule. Q1 and Spring do overlap, but somehow it now seems further out with today's guidance.

https://twitter.com/jnealis/status/370363709413416960
https://twitter.com/jnealis/status/380325716292042752
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #122
Wiggly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
You are able to stream HBO? That is interesting, others are reporting that channels with the CCI Byte set are restricted.
Actually, I just tried it again and was unable to stream the main HBO-HD channel program currently on the air (a documentary called Life According to Sam). I received a copyright message. I am still able to stream the show currently on the main SHO-HD channel (a movie called DeadHeads). I then tried HBO2-HD and was able to stream the movie Argo and was also able to stream the movie Match Point on HBO-Signature HD. So very weird results.

And yes, it does start a recording for each stream so I don't see how that is different than watching previously recorded shows?

I am on Xfinity in CO for what that is worth.
Wiggly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #123
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggly View Post
Actually, I just tried it again and was unable to stream the main HBO-HD channel program currently on the air (a documentary called Life According to Sam). I received a copyright message. I am still able to stream the show currently on the main SHO-HD channel (a movie called DeadHeads). I then tried HBO2-HD and was able to stream the movie Argo and was also able to stream the movie Match Point on HBO-Signature HD. So very weird results.

And yes, it does start a recording for each stream so I don't see how that is different than watching previously recorded shows?

I am on Xfinity in CO for what that is worth.
It sounds like they are differentiating between Place Shifting and Time Shifting as it relates to making / using a copy.

I do not know enough about to CCI language to understand if the rules could be interpreted in this way. Is there existing case law? Was this a directive to TiVo? Is TiVo being overly cautious?

We just do not know at this point.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #124
atmuscarella

Quote:
I think the blame goes to Android on this one... The big players haven't agreed upon an adaptive secure video standard. Apple uses HLS and Android has been very slow in implementing a working HLS solution. From what I have been reading the Android version is still buggy even under 4.2 - but I do hope they get it figured out soon.

TiVo isn't the only one suffering from the pissing match between these two mega companies.
If TiVo streaming to Android is going to require Android 4.2 or even something newer then there really isn't allot of rush to get Android support up and running as the vast majority of Android devices are running something older than 4.2.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:16 PM   #125
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
If TiVo streaming to Android is going to require Android 4.2 or even something newer then there really isn't allot of rush to get Android support up and running as the vast majority of Android devices are running something older than 4.2.
We do not KNOW that it will require 4.2, however Aereo finally released their streaming Android app and it does require 4.2 presumably for that reason.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/22/aereo-android-app/
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 10-24-2013, 01:16 PM   #126
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
At CES, I was told there was stuff in 4.0 (and revs above) they needed... Can't tell you if that's changed, but it wouldn't surprise me if they switched the team and approach up.

Quote:
I do not know enough about to CCI language to understand if the rules could be interpreted in this way. Is there existing case law? Was this a directive to TiVo? Is TiVo being overly cautious? We just do not know at this point.
Yeah, not clear if this is a CableLabs mandate for CableCARD certification or TiVo being conservative to limit blowback. From their support site, for both live and recorded content outside the home:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2762/

Quote:
Content with copy protection cannot be streamed using the Out-of-Home Streaming feature. Only non-copy-protected ("0x00—Copy freely") can be viewed. See Questions about copy protection for more information about copy-protection.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #127
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV

Quote:
Content with copy protection cannot be streamed using the Out-of-Home Streaming feature. Only non-copy-protected ("0x00ŚCopy freely") can be viewed. See Questions about copy protection for more information about copy-protection.
This makes the stream function useless for those of us with TWC.

Makes no sense for me to upgrade from my two Premieres.

Slingbox is the better option.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #128
Dan203
Super Moderator

The fact that you can stream CCI protected content live seems like a bug. I wouldn't be surprised if it's "fixed" via an update very soon.

Personally I'm a little disappointed that they restrict OOH streaming by the CCI byte, but not surprised. There are no rules in the CableCARD spec about OOH streaming, nor is there a precedent, so TiVo probably had to take a conservative approach to prevent from being sued. Hopefully they are at least in talks with CableLabs about possibly opening this up in the future.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #129
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaggs View Post
This makes the stream function useless for those of us with TWC.

Makes no sense for me to upgrade from my two Premieres.

Slingbox is the better option.
TWC could screw over Slingbox users too if they really wanted. If they started requiring the use of boxes that only have HDMI ports then the analog hole would be closed and you'd be in the same boat. While some Slingboxes do have HDMI inputs they can not sling channels which have HDCP enabled, and when a channel has the CCI byte set the HDMI output will have HDCP, so you'd be in the same boat.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #130
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
TWC could screw over Slingbox users too if they really wanted. If they started requiring the use of boxes that only have HDMI ports then the analog hole would be closed and you'd be in the same boat. While some Slingboxes do have HDMI inputs they can not sling channels which have HDCP enabled, and when a channel has the CCI byte set the HDMI output will have HDCP, so you'd be in the same boat.
Eh, that's trivial to get around. Many HDMI hubs do the handshake and then there are widgets that do the handshake and convert from digital to analog. More effort, more smarts, and more money required, but entirely doable. And good luck TWC or anyone else replacing all boxes with HDMI-only output. There's a lot of folks still who don't have compatible TVs...
Old 10-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #131
Dan203
Super Moderator

I think they could also use Macrovision on the analog outputs to prevent Slingboxes from working correctly.

Of course there are workarounds, but it would still make the product less appealing to the average consumer.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #132
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
Both publicly and privately I've heard Android in 2013 on multiple occasions, starting in 2012. Jason Nealis of RCN was also banking on 2013 based on his collaboration with TiVo and was upset when it was pushed to 2014. But it is what it is.
Kind of like the DirecTivo announcements back in 2008...
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #133
jwbelcher

Quote:
The whole thing is such a double standard now that TWC allow their TV apps to stream out-of-home.
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:07 PM   #134
Dan203
Super Moderator

Obviously they do this on purpose. They want to make it as inconvenient as possible for their customers to use any device they don't rent directly from them.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #135
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob61 View Post
No support for Android OS despite having more than half the mobile market share? Weak sauce TiVo....
Old news...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:14 PM   #136
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Old news...
But especially relevant today.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #137
rsnaider

Should I be able to stream from my other boxes? When I choose another box I get an error that the box is not configured for streaming.

I can stream from those boxes while on my home network.

TiVo Roamio Pro
TiVo Premier - WD 1TB Expander
TiVo Premier XL
TiVo Premier Elite
TiVo Mini
rsnaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:35 PM   #138
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnaider View Post
Should I be able to stream from my other boxes? When I choose another box I get an error that the box is not configured for streaming.
They probably have to be running 20.3.7 software to work, so if they are series 4 units without 20.3.7 software that might explain it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:38 PM   #139
rsnaider

Hopefully you are right and for now still waiting for the fall update on my other boxes.

TiVo Roamio Pro
TiVo Premier XL
TiVo Premier Elite
TiVo Mini
Old 10-24-2013, 04:58 PM   #140
overFEDEXed

I can stream on 4G with Jailbroken iPhone 4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayern_fan View Post
Really? I've been reading that out-of-home streaming/downloading have required a WiFi connection

I tried to stream over cellular on my 5S iPhone, no go. I tried my 4S, Jailbroken, with My3G (tricks the app into thinking it's on WiFi) and it works.

I'm on Cox cable and don't know what is CCI Byte protected so..."How it's Made, Pawn stars, Breaking Bad all work.
overFEDEXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:10 PM   #141
Dan203
Super Moderator

Someone else mentioned that you can download over LTE and then start watching the show after it's buffered a few minutes. Not quite as flexible as streaming, but a good alternative for when you don't have access to wifi.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:21 PM   #142
mike1273

My JB 4S with My3G will not stream over the phone system. Any tricks?

I have to use TetherMe with the 4S and hot spot to my iPad.
mike1273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:31 PM   #143
overFEDEXed

Thanks

Quote:
Someone else mentioned that you can download over LTE and then start watching the show after it's buffered a few minutes. Not quite as flexible as streaming, but a good alternative for when you don't have access to wifi.
Thanks Dan,

I see a new thread started about it. I wish that I had a JB LTE iPhone 5, to test with. My 4S won't do LTE, but on 3G/4G, it will stream and download over cellular.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #144
overFEDEXed

Settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1273 View Post
My JB 4S with My3G will not stream over the phone system. Any tricks?

I have to use TetherMe with the 4S and hot spot to my iPad.

Mike,

Go into My3G settings, then click on "Tivo" in the list. You will then see a green check mark next to it. Then hit the little blue arrow and hit the "Use Direct Flag" to turn it on.

Let me know if you get it to work.

Last edited by overFEDEXed : 10-24-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:02 PM   #145
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnaider View Post

I can stream from those boxes while on my home network.
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2762/

Quote:
NOTE: You must complete out-of-home streaming setup separately for each TiVo device you want to use.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:07 PM   #146
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I suspect that means you need to run setup for each IOS device you want to use. At least that is how I read it.

I can stream from my Roamio, but of course I cannot stream from my Premiere yet. I expect that after the fall update it will open up to both platforms.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 10-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #147
rsnaider

I tried running Setup 4 times and I can still only stream from my Roamio.

I guess like others have mentioned the fall update might solve this issue as even the instructions above only mention Roamio boxes for now.

TiVo Roamio Pro
TiVo Premier XL
TiVo Premier Elite
TiVo Mini
Old 10-24-2013, 08:31 PM   #148
bradleys
It'll be fine....

IT WILL NOT STREAM FROM YOUR PREMIERE!

That is the point I was trying to make, the Premiere itself will need and update that is supposed to be available in a few weeks.

There is nothing wrong with your setup!
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 10-24-2013, 10:31 PM   #149
moyekj

Quote:
I suspect that means you need to run setup for each IOS device you want to use. At least that is how I read it.
Yes, that makes more sense. They want to verify a device within your home before letting you use it out of the home to help prevent possible unauthorized use.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:59 PM   #150
cherry ghost

Margaret posted some good info on Twitter

IN home, the bitrate is not adaptive, it is 2.2 Mbit/sec. OUT of home it can go as low as 290 Kbit/s, and up to 1.2 Mbit/s

To do cellular streaming, Apple needs us to go as low as 64 Kbit/sec (audio-only). We'll get there next year.

If you download remotely instead of stream, "Best" is 2.2 Mbit/sec, and 1 hour of video takes about 1.1G.

"Medium" remote download is 1.2 Mbit/s and about 640M for an hour of video.

"Basic" on iPad is 800 Kbit/s, and 440M per hour of video; "Basic" on iPhone is 600 Kbit/s and 360M per hour.
cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote