TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #91
Wiggly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayern_fan View Post
Can someone with a Roamio Plus/Pro confirm what is blocked from OOH streaming? Preferably someone on Cablevision, but I imagine anyone with a "copy once" CCI bit channel (like FXX) might do. Thanks in advance!
Something I found interesting is that I am able to watch a live stream of HBO or SHO even though I am not able to watch shows I have recorded from those channels.

I have to say I am impressed with the quality. I am currently on wifi from a coffee shop and the picture looks pretty good on my iPhone.
Wiggly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:03 AM   #92
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggly View Post
Something I found interesting is that I am able to watch a live stream of HBO or SHO even though I am not able to watch shows I have recorded from those channels.

I have to say I am impressed with the quality. I am currently on wifi from a coffee shop and the picture looks pretty good on my iPhone.
You are able to stream HBO? That is interesting, others are reporting that channels with the CCI Byte set are restricted.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #93
Kobewan

Quote:
Streaming != copying so the CCI bit shouldn't apply here. Why must they make this so difficult. "Roam freely" in their PR statement is such nonsense.

P.R. Upset with this kind of restrictive nonsense, not you haha
I completely agree that it is nonsense. I was very disappointed to see the little "Watch Now" box in non-clickable grey on my app this morning for a basic cable channel. It is our content that we pay a lot of money for and to restrict us from watching it remotely is wrong. I can understand (maybe) not wanting to allow the ability to output to another full-size TV outside of your home via an HDMI-out adapter, but not allowing personal viewing of your own content on your own device screen is wrong.

I can't really blame TiVo though, since they are just providing the tool. It is the Cable Cos putting the content restriction on. I'm sure TiVo would love it if everyone could stream and download all of their content without restrictions, but we can't realistically expect them to thumb their noses at the Cable Cos and content owners and invite lawsuits.

It's all about the money. The Cable Company sees more screens as a feature of their service and want to charge you for it and the content providers want to be paid for allowing their content to be viewed in everyway possible. Even the Cable Co's and DirecTV are treading fairly lightly here, offering limited channels outside the home on their own Apps, presumably ones they've negotiated the rights with to do so. DISH is the only one throwing caution to the wind with the SlingHopper and they are fighting active lawsuits against the content providers to do so. Our only hope is that those lawsuits go in DISH's favor and the world of on-line viewing opens up, however even then the Cable Co's will still probably restrict the content on third party devices like TiVos to push their own solutions that they can charge fees for.
Kobewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #94
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobewan View Post
I'm on Cox Cable, not Cablevision, but can confirm that the CCI byte flag that prevents you from downloading a show while you're at home also prevents you from streaming (or downloading of course) while you are OOH. So whatever channels are CCI Byte protected from downloading at home won't be available for you for streaming outside the home.
Ugh. You have GOT to be kidding me.

Time Warner CCI protects *all* their channels except OTA, which means that streaming is *useless* for me.

Hmm. I'm under the 30 day money back guarantee on the TiVo subscription... this is enough to make me consider selling this thing.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #95
tivoknucklehead

Quote:
I'm on Cox Cable, not Cablevision, but can confirm that the CCI byte flag that prevents you from downloading a show while you're at home also prevents you from streaming (or downloading of course) while you are OOH. So whatever channels are CCI Byte protected from downloading at home won't be available for you for streaming outside the home. Pretty restrictive for those of us with conservative cablecos, but not surprising as content providers typically want more money from the Cable Co for the rights to deliver their content over the internet. TiVo is being careful to not get sued for "re-broadcasting" content over the internet that the CableCo has marked as restricted.

As far the question about MPEG4 channels, no dice, they still can't be streamed to iOS devices.
I cannot stream or download protected and non protected shows to my iphone 5 on wifi or LTE from my Roamio Pro

and since 90% of my shows are protected and can't be transferred to my PC via desktop plus, even when I get this to work it will be worthless. I'll stick with my slingbox app that lets me watch anything on my Tivo and the quality is great
tivoknucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:26 AM   #96
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Ugh. You have GOT to be kidding me.

Time Warner CCI protects *all* their channels except OTA, which means that streaming is *useless* for me.

Hmm. I'm under the 30 day money back guarantee on the TiVo subscription... this is enough to make me consider selling this thing.
Really? OOH was the only reason you bought it? If so, a slingbox is cheaper and much more mature option.
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #97
Kobewan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
You are able to stream HBO? That is interesting, others are reporting that channels with the CCI Byte set are restricted.
I hadn't tried that, only tried recorded programs and they were all greyed out for streaming or downloading while OOH, but I just tried it and you are right! I can watch any channel (except MPEG4) if it is Live, but not a recording.

That's odd...a loophole in the CCI Byte rules? I hope it is a loophole that allows streaming of Live TV and not simply a bug in the software.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:33 AM   #98
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggly View Post

Does it still force you to start a recording before watching the live stream? If it does, I wonder how that's any different from watching a previously recorded show.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #99
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
That's what I was most curious about - how it deals with and looks with < 2 Mbps streams. Latest Slingbox models do a pretty good job picture wise but remote control press delay can get ridiculous (20 seconds or more). Upstream speed for my ISP level of service is only 2 Mbps and even the top tier is only 5 Mbps.
I went back and checked -- I thought I had seen quality levels for streaming. Turns out there are three quality levels for OOH downloading -- but I don't see any quality options for streaming.

I thought using pause, play and skip was acceptable -- the response time was okay.
DeltaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:36 AM   #100
NYHeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
Does it still force you to start a recording before watching the live stream? If it does, I wonder how that's any different from watching a previously recorded show.
Maybe they've updated the stream to use the tuner without recording the show.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #101
NYHeel

I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised I can download over LTE out of home.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #102
rainwater

Quote:
That's what I was most curious about - how it deals with and looks with < 2 Mbps streams. Latest Slingbox models do a pretty good job picture wise but remote control press delay can get ridiculous (20 seconds or more). Upstream speed for my ISP level of service is only 2 Mbps and even the top tier is only 5 Mbps.
I believe if it is less than 2Mbps it warns you that you should download it instead. I honestly don't think there is any adaptive bitrate streaming involved. I'm not surprised though as Slingbox has spent years perfecting it and based on the quality of the TiVo app itself (it is horribly ugly and the user interface makes little sense), I am not surprised.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:38 AM   #103
bayern_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised I can download over LTE out of home.
Really? I've been reading that out-of-home streaming/downloading have required a WiFi connection
bayern_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #104
Kobewan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
Yes it does start a recording. Perhaps because you're watching the recording Live, it's technically only being copied once and so you're allowed one viewing remotely as it is happening since it hasn't been fully copied yet? Just a theory, because if you follow the logic through, you can't make sense of it.

I remain hopeful that its a loophole in CCI byte rules. Let's just hope its a loophole that stays open!
Old 10-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #105
NYHeel

Quote:
Really? I've been reading that out-of-home streaming/downloading have required a WiFi connection
From what people are saying here, only streaming requires WiFi.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:49 AM   #106
NYHeel

I just checked and Tivo still hasn't fixed the space available bug in the app. Really weird as it seems that app shows about 33% more space used than the Tivo itself. I'm pretty sure it does this for every Roamio.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:49 AM   #107
jwbelcher

Quote:
I remain hopeful that its a loophole in CCI byte rules. Let's just hope its a loophole that stays open!
I agree with that! Lets not speak of it again
Old 10-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #108
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I am confused... (Look at me talking about it!)

So you can watch a live stream (live TV'ish) of a protected show, but not a previously recorded version.

Place shifting, but not time shifting.

Interesting...
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 10-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #109
mvnuenen
~0.0~

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
In your web browser enter this info

http://Stream IP Address:49152/sysinfo

With the Stream IP address inside the Roamio Plus/Pro. Mine is one higher than the IP address of my Roamio Pro.
Thanks!
mvnuenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:26 AM   #110
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Interesting... I bopped over to a buddies office to pick up his mifi signal and started a stream. I then went back to my office and the video continues on LTE.

The quality is actually MUCH better then I expected it to be!
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 10-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #111
bob61

No support for Android OS despite having more than half the mobile market share? Weak sauce TiVo....

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
bob61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #112
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

If streaming live TV does work despite CCI flag, then that would satisfy me. It'd be nice if I could stream recordings, but I'm less concerned about that. I guess I'll have to try it later today. Unfortunately, I grabbed my iPad but didn't know that I'd need to do the setup on the home network first.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #113
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I think the blame goes to Android on this one... The big players haven't agreed upon an adaptive secure video standard. Apple uses HLS and Android has been very slow in implementing a working HLS solution. From what I have been reading the Android version is still buggy even under 4.2 - but I do hope they get it figured out soon.

TiVo isn't the only one suffering from the pissing match between these two mega companies.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 10-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #114
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
I think the blame goes to Android on this one...
That's their excuse, anyway... but Netflix, HBO, ESPN, Cablevision, etc seem to have figured something suitable out. I don't think they cared enough at first and then didn't have the skill on hand. But now it appears they're serious, so I'm hopeful they finally deliver. By the by, CEO had indicated 2013 for Android, so this is clearly a slip in their roadmap.
davezatz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #115
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
I believe if it is less than 2Mbps it warns you that you should download it instead. I honestly don't think there is any adaptive bitrate streaming involved. I'm not surprised though as Slingbox has spent years perfecting it and based on the quality of the TiVo app itself (it is horribly ugly and the user interface makes little sense), I am not surprised.
Can you start watching while it continues downloading? If not then it won't be too useful in download mode either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #116
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Can you start watching while it continues downloading? If not then it won't be too useful in download mode either.
I just tested it... Yes, you can start watching it during download.

It made me wait about 1 minute before there was enough downloaded to start the video.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 10-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #117
NYHeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
That's their excuse, anyway... but Netflix, HBO, ESPN, Cablevision, etc seem to have figured something suitable out. I don't think they cared enough at first and then didn't have the skill on hand. But now it appears they're serious, so I'm hopeful they finally deliver. By the by, CEO had indicated 2013 for Android, so this is clearly a slip in their roadmap.
I don't believe the CEO ever intended to say 2013 for Android. I think the interviewer was talking about roaming in general and then Android and Rogers answered him about roaming and it just sounded like he was talking about Android.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:26 PM   #118
moyekj

Quote:
I just tested it... Yes, you can start watching it during download.

It made me wait about 1 minute before there was enough downloaded to start the video.
That's good, thanks for testing. Now it has sparked my interest a lot more. I would envision letting it start downloading for 15 minutes or so and then start watching for uninterrupted viewing + ability to skip commercials etc. Luckily I don't have the CCI nonsense to worry about from my cable company.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:29 PM   #119
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
I don't believe the CEO ever intended to say 2013 for Android. I think the interviewer was talking about roaming in general and then Android and Rogers answered him about roaming and it just sounded like he was talking about Android.
Both publicly and privately I've heard Android in 2013 on multiple occasions, starting in 2012. Jason Nealis of RCN was also banking on 2013 based on his collaboration with TiVo and was upset when it was pushed to 2014. But it is what it is.
davezatz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #120
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
Both publicly and privately I've heard Android in 2013 on multiple occasions, starting in 2012. Jason Nealis of RCN was also banking on 2013 based on his collaboration with TiVo and was upset when it was pushed to 2014. But it is what it is.
The slip to 2014 certainly doesn't help the marketing of it. I heard a Roamio ad on WTOP this morning. The ad mentions iOS only for the OOH streaming. Apparently other people heard it too and someone asked me about it work. But they don't use Apple devices and they were wondering about Android support. I told them that if that was very important to them that there is no guarantee that Android streaming will ever come. That they should buy based on the capabilities now.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote