TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:53 AM   #61
rsnaider

Works great, setup both my iPad and iPhone at home after downloading the new version, now in the office on my MiFi streaming shows.

TiVo Roamio Pro
TiVo Premier - WD 1TB Expander
TiVo Premier XL
TiVo Premier Elite
TiVo Mini
rsnaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:55 AM   #62
kbmb

Tivo ... proudly responsible for lost productivity at work since 10/24/13!
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:56 AM   #63
tivoknucklehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnaider View Post
Works great, setup both my iPad and iPhone at home after downloading the new version, now in the office on my MiFi streaming shows.
does your initial stream from a Roamio Pro have to be done from your home network ?
tivoknucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:56 AM   #64
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoknucklehead View Post
does your initial stream from a Roamio Pro have to be done from your home network ?
The setup in the app does.

-Kevin
Old 10-24-2013, 07:57 AM   #65
markp99
TakoKichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivogre View Post
GOOD news, though.

If you START watching a show while "tethered" to the iPad, then turn off the iPad hotspot, the show will continue to stream normally via the iPhones LTE connection.

It seems the limit to wifi outside home is artificially limiting. I'm sure they are taking baby steps.
I wonder the data consumption per hour will be via LTE in this mode. Might just not be feasible for most data plans.
markp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:59 AM   #66
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealone View Post
Question????
Will I need to do anything on my end for this to start working? I have Jury duty tomorrow and would like to watch my Roamio at the court house.
You're lucky if you can bring it with you. In my county you can't bring in any electronic devices with a camera to the courthouse, so cellphones and tablets have to be left in the car.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:01 AM   #67
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp99 View Post
I wonder the data consumption per hour will be via LTE in this mode. Might just not be feasible for most data plans.
I've only got the shared 1GB plan.....so I only tested with it today to see if my setup was working. Normally I wouldn't think of streaming on my LTE plan.

The download sizes over the cell network are:

For "The League" - 30 minute show in HD I get the following choices:
Basic - 183MB
Medium - 326MB
Best - 559MB

For Law & Order SVU, 1 hour show in HD:
Basic - 355MB
Medium - 631MB
Best - 1GB

-Kevin
Old 10-24-2013, 08:02 AM   #68
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
I can confirm streaming:

- Does NOT work over the cell network (as expected)

- DOES work if you have both an iPhone and iPad and setup a hotspot on your iPhone and connect your iPad to it.

Also, you can download a show while on the cell network it seems.

-Kevin
SO why is it restricted over the cell network? My cellular speed is typically many, many, many times faster than any public WiFi network.

I still have unlimited 4G data on Verizon. It's rare for me to use a Wi-Fi network since I can get 4G pretty much anywhere in the DC area. I hope when it comes to android that cellular streaming will be enabled. Because having to connect to the WiFi at work or a public WiFi network would not work very well since bandwidth is typically restricted per user.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:04 AM   #69
brianm729

App is working well so far. All it took was an update from the AppStore. My Roamio did not update as far as I know. You can not stream a show over LTE but you can download it.
brianm729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:04 AM   #70
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
SO why is it restricted over the cell network? My cellular speed is typically many, many, many times faster than any public WiFi network.
Not sure, especially these days with LTE now everywhere.

-Kevin
Old 10-24-2013, 08:07 AM   #71
bdraw

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
From TiVO pr: "The issue is very low bitrate support. Apple's low bitrate for cellular requirement is below what we can do right now."

To which I asked what the current bitrate is and they replied, 290Kbps to 2Mbps.
bdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:09 AM   #72
rsnaider

From Engadget's website

"Android support and streaming via 4G/LTE is on the schedule next year -- on iOS the minimum supported bandwidth needs more tweaking to meet Apple's maximum bitrate for cellular."

TiVo Roamio Pro
TiVo Premier - WD 1TB Expander
TiVo Premier XL
TiVo Premier Elite
TiVo Mini
rsnaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:09 AM   #73
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvnuenen View Post
For the life of me I cannot find that Stream information screen in my Roamio Pro. Is it under Settings/Account & System Information? I just got the TiVo App update by the way asking me now if I want to do OOH streaming. So it seems it was rolled out.
In your web browser enter this info

http://Stream IP Address:49152/sysinfo

With the Stream IP address inside the Roamio Plus/Pro. Mine is one higher than the IP address of my Roamio Pro.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:18 AM   #74
shamilian

I know it is a long shot, but has anyone tested any mpeg4 channels since the update ?
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:29 AM   #75
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivogre View Post
You get the message "Streaming is prohibited by the copyright holder while you are away from your home network".

It also did not work on my first try with VPN.
Can't say I'm surprised, but that sucks ... it will severely limit its usefulness for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:30 AM   #76
Tex94

It's not working for me. Updated the apps in both ipad and iphone. Connected to a different wifi network but not streaming. The new app tells me I am away from my home network and the Watch Button is no longer grayed out but when I click on it it tells me some functions are not supported. Thoughts?

I tried deleting apps and reinstalling, rebooting devices, etc. All no good.
Tex94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #77
tatergator1

Are you on your home network? Based on previous comments, there is some sort of initial setup that must be completed within your home network.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #78
Tex94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex94 View Post
It's not working for me. Updated the apps in both ipad and iphone. Connected to a different wifi network but not streaming. The new app tells me I am away from my home network and the Watch Button is no longer grayed out but when I click on it it tells me some functions are not supported. Thoughts?

I tried deleting apps and reinstalling, rebooting devices, etc. All no good.
Ok, just figured it out. After updating the new apps I need to do a setup on the home network and then I can stream outside of the house.
Tex94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:43 AM   #79
BayouBoy32

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
This is on my Roamio Pro that has the 20.3.7 software. My guess is the standalone units haven't got a software upgrade yet if that's what you are looking at.
Here's a screenshot:
Do you need to check Port Forwarding Enabled box? Not checked on my iPad mini. And do you need to forward ports in you router? If so that is not a problem.
BayouBoy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #80
rainwater

So you can't stream copy protected channels which sucks but not surprising. And it seems TiVo really doesn't have the adaptive bitrate streaming working at all. It's like they just have a single bitrate stream. It certainly will not replace my Slingbox anytime soon. I really hope they can figure out adaptive streaming one day and until they can provide PC support, it really isn't that interesting to me.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:46 AM   #81
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBoy32 View Post
Do you need to check Port Forwarding Enabled box? Not checked on my iPad mini. And do you need to forward ports in you router? If so that is not a problem.
I'm guessing it is using UPnP so you probably don't need to forward ports unless your router doesn't support it.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:46 AM   #82
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex94 View Post
Ok, just figured it out. After updating the new apps I need to do a setup on the home network and then I can stream outside of the house.
That's the step that probably sets up port forwarding or using UPnP like Slingbox. I don't have an iOS device (or Android for that matter) to test this with so can't see what it actually does in terms of port forwarding setup. Somebody else can report on that.

This capability in general is not much use to me unless/until client can be a web browser as I don't have/want a cell phone or tablet.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #83
bayern_fan

Can someone with a Roamio Plus/Pro confirm what is blocked from OOH streaming? Preferably someone on Cablevision, but I imagine anyone with a "copy once" CCI bit channel (like FXX) might do. Thanks in advance!
bayern_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #84
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
That's the step that probably sets up port forwarding or using UPnP like Slingbox. I don't have an iOS device (or Android for that matter) to test this with so can't see what it actually does in terms of port forwarding setup. Somebody else can report on that.
I think ports are already setup. Probably what requiring each device to be setup on the home network does is activate that device for use for streaming outside the network. So you can't just give out your user id/password to anyone to stream from your TiVo.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #85
SugarBowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
Can't say I'm surprised, but that sucks ... it will severely limit its usefulness for me.
Yeah. really disappointing for us Time Warner folks that pay $100+ per month for television.
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:04 AM   #86
Ryan Nelson

OOH Streaming is working great!
I was a bit surprised it just worked so easily with no fuss - no router config, etc. Nice.
Ryan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #87
Kobewan

CCI Byte (and MPEG4)

I'm on Cox Cable, not Cablevision, but can confirm that the CCI byte flag that prevents you from downloading a show while you're at home also prevents you from streaming (or downloading of course) while you are OOH. So whatever channels are CCI Byte protected from downloading at home won't be available for you for streaming outside the home. Pretty restrictive for those of us with conservative cablecos, but not surprising as content providers typically want more money from the Cable Co for the rights to deliver their content over the internet. TiVo is being careful to not get sued for "re-broadcasting" content over the internet that the CableCo has marked as restricted.

As far the question about MPEG4 channels, no dice, they still can't be streamed to iOS devices.
Kobewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #88
bayern_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobewan View Post
I'm on Cox Cable, not Cablevision, but can confirm that the CCI byte flag that prevents you from downloading a show while you're at home also prevents you from streaming (or downloading of course) while you are OOH. So whatever channels are CCI Byte protected from downloading at home won't be available for you for streaming outside the home. Pretty restrictive for those of us with conservative cablecos, but not surprising as content providers typically want more money from the Cable Co for the rights to deliver their content over the internet. TiVo is being careful to not get sued for "re-broadcasting" content over the internet that the CableCo has marked as restricted.

As far the question about MPEG4 channels, no dice, they still can't be streamed to iOS devices.
Streaming != copying so the CCI bit shouldn't apply here. Why must they make this so difficult. "Roam freely" in their PR statement is such nonsense.

P.R. Upset with this kind of restrictive nonsense, not you haha
bayern_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #89
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Streaming worked fine for me. Quality here at work was like blurry SD, while the quality at home on my LAN was like HD. Haven't tried OOH downloading yet.
DeltaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #90
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaOne View Post
Streaming worked fine for me. Quality here at work was like blurry SD, while the quality at home on my LAN was like HD. Haven't tried OOH downloading yet.
That's what I was most curious about - how it deals with and looks with < 2 Mbps streams. Latest Slingbox models do a pretty good job picture wise but remote control press delay can get ridiculous (20 seconds or more). Upstream speed for my ISP level of service is only 2 Mbps and even the top tier is only 5 Mbps.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote