TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-01-2013, 01:09 AM   #1
magic168

Losing IP and no OOH

Every few days, I get the message that my Tivo has lost connectivity. It shows connected to my network (wifi) and "No IP address."

I have it set to a static IP. I don't know what's causing this and it's really frustrating.

Second problem -- I launch up the tivo app today after reading that OOH streaming has been enabled and I try to do setup and it says "No Streaming Devices found" ...... I'm on the same network. I have a roamio plus. I've forced connections multiple times to make sure I have the latest software...

Sigh.
magic168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:02 AM   #2
MScottC

Do you by any chance have another device on your network using the same IP?
MScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:04 AM   #3
gbruyn

I'll check and report back.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:23 AM   #4
tomhorsley

I found that the TiVo doesn't bother to refresh the lease when it is about to expire. If your local DHCP server on your router is being picky, this means the TiVo will lose the connection. I found it simpler to just give the TiVo a static IP.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:24 AM   #5
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
I found that the TiVo doesn't bother to refresh the lease when it is about to expire. If your local DHCP server on your router is being picky, this means the TiVo will lose the connection. I found it simpler to just give the TiVo a static IP.
I wonder what's different. I have lots of logs of my TiVos requesting renewal of the DHCP lease - my DHCP server is a linux desktop, so I have reasonable logging and debug tools. I've been pure DHCP for the TiVos for many years (I don't remember if my networked Series 1 used DHCP) and don't have problems. I do tcpdumps (packet dumping) on my TiVos every couple of years just to see who they're connecting with and how often. The DHCP exchanges have always looked normal there.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #6
tomhorsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
I wonder what's different. I have lots of logs of my TiVos requesting renewal of the DHCP lease
Maybe they fixed it at some point, but when I was having problems first setting up my premiere, I definitely discovered a total lack of renewal requests. Since I've had it on a static IP for a long time, I don't know if it is still a problem.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:51 PM   #7
magic168

I am on a static IP so I have no idea what's wrong.

Any help on the "no streaming devices" found error? Is there streaming setup I need to do on the Roamio itself? This is even when the wifi connection is working and connected on the Roamio. My iPad is on the same wifi network and can't find any streaming devices??
Old 11-01-2013, 11:37 PM   #8
AdamNJ

when u set a static ip on the roamio are u only able to set one or two?

The roamio has at least two nics inside. i am just using dhcp and my router shows two in use for the tivo. the second is for streaming i believe.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:47 AM   #9
magic168

Hmm, it only asks for one...I'm still confused on how to "enable" streaming. There seem to be no settings on the Roamio unit itself? Or is my software not up to date...if so how do I update?
Old 11-02-2013, 03:41 AM   #10
Devx

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic168 View Post
Hmm, it only asks for one...I'm still confused on how to "enable" streaming. There seem to be no settings on the Roamio unit itself? Or is my software not up to date...if so how do I update?
There isn't any setup to do on the Roamio for the streaming to work and unfortunately it appears the Stream device/hardware embedded in the Roamio cannot be assigned a static IP. The iOS app is supposed to be able to automatically locate the Stream and perform the setup to link the Stream to the Tivo. This all happens on the iOS device within the Tivo app.

Have you ever used the streaming functionality on that Plus before, for in home streaming? It's possible its defective and needs to be exchanged.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #11
bradleys
It'll be fine....

If I am understanding your post correctly, I think I have had the same issue.

I was at the office and went to enable a stream and the IOS app had lost connection to the stream device. I had to wait until I got home to run through the quick IOS app setup again.

Is this the same experience you are reporting?
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:18 AM   #12
magic168

I'm at home...Roamio plus is connected to the same wifi network as my iPad. "No streaming devices found." when doing the setup.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:03 AM   #13
Devx

Quote:
I'm at home...Roamio plus is connected to the same wifi network as my iPad. "No streaming devices found." when doing the setup.
Are you running DHCP on your network? Can you switch the Tivo back to DHCP (automatically assign an IP) and try to run the Stream setup again from the iOS app?
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:18 AM   #14
gbruyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
If I am understanding your post correctly, I think I have had the same issue.

I was at the office and went to enable a stream and the IOS app had lost connection to the stream device. I had to wait until I got home to run through the quick IOS app setup again.

Is this the same experience you are reporting?
Yes this is the same issue I was having. I setup a DHCP reservation for both the Roamio plus and the Roamio Plus Stream IP addresses. So far it seems like it has helped. No more downloads failing thus far!
Old 11-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #15
Diacritical

Quote:
I am on a static IP so I have no idea what's wrong.

Any help on the "no streaming devices" found error? Is there streaming setup I need to do on the Roamio itself? This is even when the wifi connection is working and connected on the Roamio. My iPad is on the same wifi network and can't find any streaming devices??
I'm not sure you are seeing the same thing as I did... The TiVo app has a bug where it will not find new streaming devices if it tried to in the past and failed. You have to completely exit the app (close it and end the process) or close and reboot the iPad/iPhone and make sure the streaming device is on the same network as the iPad when you first start the app. If you started the app while on another network, discovery can fail when you do get on the right network.
Diacritical is offline   Reply With Quote