TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 4.80 average.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:11 AM   #121
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
I hope you didn't take that personally, it wasn't meant to be. I apologize.
Thanks! I appreciate you posting back to clarify your original post. I am not offended, so no worries!

Quote:
already feel like a PT Barnum victim just buying the lifetime service, let alone if they asked me to pay them even more for one of their "features" to rectify an issue THEY created. Please excuse my cynicism.
I understand what you are saying, and buyer's remorse can be a pain in the butt. BUT, the I feel that you didn't make a bad choice with your purchase - this box will have a nice resale value if you decide to sell it sometime down the road.

BTW, I would like to think that if TiVo added an option to offer a "premium" ad free experience that they would offer this as a choice to existing Lifetime Subscribers as no cost option, as you have already paid for their premium subscription option.

Quote:
feel like that giant fat guy from Monty Python's The Meaning of Life where the waiter asks him to eat just "one more wafer thin mint" after he just engorged himself for hours. He said he couldn't fit one more thing inside but he let himself be talked into it, so he ate the tiny mint and then EXPLODED all over the restaurant!

I'm at the "wafer thin mint" point with TiVo right about now.
I am familiar with the scene, and it has always stuck with me. The bucket part really freaked me out... I honestly feel that you are NOT that fat guy.

I offer my opinions on your purchase as a outsider, so I don't want to diminish the way you feel. I understand you are at that "thin mint" point, and you are entitled to those feelings.
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #122
anthonymoody

I just got SPSPS to take via watching a showcase video. I guess I misunderstood what this did. I thought it would just make the ads disappear, not the entire pause/scrub bar which I actually like.

Hmm. Have to decide whether to undo this. I use that frequently when my kids ask to finish a show before bedtime. Have to check the time remaining!
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #123
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
I just got SPSPS to take via watching a showcase video. I guess I misunderstood what this did. I thought it would just make the ads disappear, not the entire pause/scrub bar which I actually like.

Hmm. Have to decide whether to undo this. I use that frequently when my kids ask to finish a show before bedtime. Have to check the time remaining!
You can press "play" to briefly see the pause bar any time you want when SPSPS is enabled. Personally I find the play bar intrusive most of the time so SPSPS is on permanently for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #124
anthonymoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
You can press "play" to briefly see the pause bar any time you want when SPSPS is enabled. Personally I find the play bar intrusive most of the time so SPSPS is on permanently for me.
Ah thanks. Yeah I see it appears though it also starts playback again (duh). But good to know.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:07 PM   #125
Davelnlr_

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Ah thanks. Yeah I see it appears though it also starts playback again (duh). But good to know.
Hit play while the video is playing, before hitting pause.
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:08 PM   #126
Joe Siegler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHeadland View Post
Leaving aside how I feel about paying around $1,000 for a TiVo plus lifetime service in order to be pestered by advertising (hint - not positive)...

We are seeing a "Cryptonite free trial" ad op up above the pause bar, Pressing "down" gets rid of it OK, but the damn' thing comes back every single time we pause, which is getting really, really old, because we generally pause so we can look at the picture, and the advert covers up a big chunk of it. I did the SPS-Pause trick (which I did not want to do, because I find the bar useful) but even then the ad flashes up annoyingly for about half a second when I pause.

I don't recall our old TiVo HD behaving like this (I vaguely recollect that once you dismissed an ad it was gone for good) - is this something new, or do I just remember wrong?

More to the point, is there some way to retain the bar but stop the excessively frequent pop-up ad (I don't mind seeing it once in a while, it's the excessive repetition/flashing that is infuriating).

As to the value of the advertising; right now I would happily punch someone from Cryptonite in the face, because it is so intrusive and annoying. The chances of me every wanting to buy something from them are zero.
This is not new, it's been happening on TiVos going back many a year. It just doesn't happen that often.

This is also LESS obnoxious than some ad attempts they've done in the past. Look at this one I recorded off my TiVo in 2009.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uj3miEksiI

TiVo Roamio 75hr unmodified, TiVo Roamio 316hr/2TB, both OTA only.
Joe Siegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:13 AM   #127
prisk

They let you opt out of some but not all of the ads:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/68
prisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #128
anthonymoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davelnlr_ View Post
Hit play while the video is playing, before hitting pause.
Man the things you learn on the internet. Thanks!
Old 10-29-2013, 12:24 AM   #129
miller890

My bet is TiVo doesn't know how obnoxious the new pause ads are because the executives' personal TiVo's don't receive ads. Why would they eat their own dog food?!
Comcast, all wired to 1GB

Last edited by miller890 : 10-29-2013 at 12:36 AM.
miller890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:08 AM   #130
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller890 View Post
My bet is TiVo doesn't know how obnoxious the new pause ads are because the executives' personal TiVo's don't receive ads. Why would they eat their own dog food?!
I don't think it's a coincidence that these ads were introduced after the initial launch and press reviews.

They didn't want reviews to mention or comment on these new ads, so they put them in after the initial reviews went out.

Pretty sneaky TiVo.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:12 AM   #131
uw69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
This is not new, it's been happening on TiVos going back many a year. It just doesn't happen that often.

This is also LESS obnoxious than some ad attempts they've done in the past. Look at this one I recorded off my TiVo in 2009.

Obnoxious new TiVo Advertisement
You need to upgrade your Flash Player
+1 No big deal.
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
uw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:16 AM   #132
jmpage2

I just had an online chat with a TiVo CSR who confirmed that the pause/play ads cannot be opted out of at this time. She did offer to pass the comments along and invited me to go to http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/168 and make a suggestion to remove them.

I would say that anyone who finds them annoying should do both. Ask a CSR to pass comments along that you don't like the ads as well as use the 'request a new feature' to ask TiVo to get rid of them.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:02 AM   #133
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I suspect that any such request will be a futile endeavor that will only fall on deaf ears.

Think about all the requests for features that haven't been implemented and don't cut into TiVos revenue...

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:35 PM   #134
wedgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptr727 View Post
I opened a case with support to complain about the intrusive ad.
They said they can opt me out of most ads, but not all.
Waiting to receive confirmation if opting out applies to this type of ad.
What did you do to open a case?

I just got the Roamio Pro and am considering returning it due the the ads in Tivo Central. I figured paid $500 for the unit - I shouldn't be forced to see advertising.

Thanks...
wedgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:49 PM   #135
synch22

Pretty crappy and as someone jumping between tuners often as I click the back button or pause to switch tuners, I run into this ad often . I even tried to count how many pauses until it appeared again ... Its not many.
Ruining the experience but I can ditch it. $1k and we get this....annoying.
synch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:14 AM   #136
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedgar View Post

I just got the Roamio Pro and am considering returning it due the the ads in Tivo Central. I figured paid $500 for the unit - I shouldn't be forced to see advertising.
I know this isn't what you want to hear, but they're not going away, if they bother you that much you should return the unit.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:17 AM   #137
uw69

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
I know this isn't what you want to hear, but they're not going away, if they bother you that much you should return the unit.
Absolutely correct!
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
uw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:39 AM   #138
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by synch22 View Post
Pretty crappy and as someone jumping between tuners often as I click the back button or pause to switch tuners, I run into this ad often . I even tried to count how many pauses until it appeared again ... Its not many.
Ruining the experience but I can ditch it. $1k and we get this....annoying.
I finally used the SPSPS trick pause code and it really does work. No more oversized, annoying pause ads!

Play back a program, then press Select, Play, Select, Pause, Select. If it works, no more progress bar or ads on pause. If it didn't work, try it again. Sometimes it takes several times.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #139
jrock

They really aren't that bad. I don't even pay attention to them. Once on my premiere I clicked one by accident and went to some paper towel ad but it hasn't happened yet on the Roamio. Just tune em out and don't let em bother you.
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #140
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
No the answer is I will pay an additional premium option not to see them!
I do that on apps for my phone and for premium cable to watch a movie straight through. I should be able to do that here.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:04 AM   #141
Goober96

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
No the answer is I will pay an additional premium option not to see them! I do that on apps for my phone and for premium cable to watch a movie straight through. I should be able to do that here.
But you can't so that is not the answer.
Goober96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #142
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober96 View Post
But you can't so that is not the answer.
Currently!
Old 11-13-2013, 05:01 PM   #143
yokito

Angry Really unhappy

The TiVo community could put a magnifying glass on this if you will and eventually generate enough bad press for TiVo to make them listen.

I'm contemplating attempting just that. I'm quite certain there will be plenty support here.

The fact that you can't buy your way out of this makes no sense
Old 11-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #144
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokito View Post
The TiVo community could put a magnifying glass on this if you will and eventually generate enough bad press for TiVo to make them listen.

I'm contemplating attempting just that. I'm quite certain there will be plenty support here.

The fact that you can't buy your way out of this makes no sense
I agree. Even getting gadget blogs like Engadget or Slashdot to pick up the story that users are unhappy will give them some bad press and could force them to respond in some fashion.

Making that attempt here at TCF is a waste of time though, way too many TiVo sycophants here.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #145
andyf

I'm pretty sure this complaint has been on going for at least 5 years now with many lengthy threads on the issue. Guess what? We still have them.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #146
ptr727

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedgar View Post

Thanks...
I called support, and they opted me out of advertising. They said they cannot confirm if these ads would go away, they didn't, I still see them.

P.
ptr727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #147
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyf View Post
I'm pretty sure this complaint has been on going for at least 5 years now with many lengthy threads on the issue. Guess what? We still have them.
This new advertising is more obtrusive than the other stuff they have done. Even my wide complained about it and she normally could care less how many ads she gets spammed with.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:56 AM   #148
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokito View Post
The TiVo community could put a magnifying glass on this if you will and eventually generate enough bad press for TiVo to make them listen...
Dream on....and, to zalusky, the "premium" you pay for apps not displaying ads is a pittance. What you might have to pay to TiVo should they ever offer the option would be WAY more than a pittance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyf View Post
Exactly....never gonna disappear.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:08 AM   #149
jrock

Look at Hulu Plus, you can pay for that and still have to watch all the commercials. I assume TiVo is just trying to make some more income to keep everything running without having to increase the cost of monthly and life time service to us.

The problem is if you start letting people pay to opt out of ads all together then the companies advertising will know this and won't want the ads anymore if anyone can opt out. So it's either all or none most likely and most people don't care about the ads so they aren't going to raise the rates for everyone to get rid of ads just to make a small percentage of people happy. IMO
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #150
b_scott
TiVo Fan

yeah they made the ads on the pause bar even larger and more intrusive.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote