TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-20-2014, 12:35 PM   #1
boilerjt

Roamio Upgrade Offer

Currently I own a 2 tuner Premiere with lifetime service and I received a Roamio upgrade offer from Tivo. I'm interested in a Roamio Plus and they are offering the DVR and lifetime service for $749.99 (a savings of $150.) After adding the item to the cart and entering the promo code, I see that the DVR is $350 and lifetime service is $399.99. Since I already have a unit activated with lifetime, this only looks like a $50 savings, not $150. From what I see, not a very good offer. Am I missing anything?
boilerjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:48 PM   #2
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerjt View Post
Currently I own a 2 tuner Premiere with lifetime service and I received a Roamio upgrade offer from Tivo. I'm interested in a Roamio Plus and they are offering the DVR and lifetime service for $749.99 (a savings of $150.) After adding the item to the cart and entering the promo code, I see that the DVR is $350 and lifetime service is $399.99. Since I already have a unit activated with lifetime, this only looks like a $50 savings, not $150. From what I see, not a very good offer. Am I missing anything?
Yes, you're missing the fact that lifetime service is per device, not per account.
HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:11 PM   #3
boilerjt

I understand lifetime service is per device. Since I already have a unit with lifetime service, wouldn't a 2nd unit (Roamio Plus) on the same account qualify for the multi-service discount of $399.99 lifetime for the new unit, even if I bought the new unit at full retail price?

What I'm getting at is this offer was targeted at me by Tivo advertising an upgrade savings of $150, which in reality is a savings of $50, compared to buying a unit off the shelf at Best Buy and activating with lifetime.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:17 PM   #4
lessd

Quote:
I understand lifetime service is per device. Since I already have a unit with lifetime service, wouldn't a 2nd unit (Roamio Plus) on the same account qualify for the multi-service discount of $399.99 lifetime for the new unit, even if I bought the new unit at full retail price?

What I'm getting at is this offer was targeted at me by Tivo advertising an upgrade savings of $150, which in reality is a savings of $50, compared to buying a unit off the shelf at Best Buy.
TiVo has been doing this for ever, saying that Lifetime Service is $499 and giving it to you for $399, saving you $100, and leaving out that you can get that $100 off on your own with MSD or the PLSR code. I assume some people fall for it, but not many who visit this Forum.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:28 PM   #5
boilerjt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
TiVo has been doing this for ever, saying that Lifetime Service is $499 and giving it to you for $399, saving you $100, and leaving out that you can get that $100 off on your own with MSD or the PLSR code. I assume some people fall for it, but not many who visit this Forum.
Thanks Les, that was what I was assuming.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:23 PM   #6
leepoffaith

I got my Tivo Plus in addition to lifetime for $599 through one of the buyer's codes on ebay. I paid $30 for the code so lets say $630. It's still $60 cheaper then what they are giving a loyal customer. Seems pretty crappy to me.

Verizon FiOS TV Prime
Fully Loaded Entertainment Package
Verizon FiOS 75/35 Internet
leepoffaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:34 PM   #7
jrtroo
User

What does it mean to be a "loyal customer" than just an existing customer? I don't see the difference.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:41 PM   #8
leepoffaith

I was using them interchangeably, but I suppose current customer would be more appropriate.

Verizon FiOS TV Prime
Fully Loaded Entertainment Package
Verizon FiOS 75/35 Internet
leepoffaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:44 PM   #9
gary712

I also got this offer from tivo romio plus w/lifetime for $749. I called tivo and I cannot get an additional $100 off for being a loyal customer for over 11 years. What I want to know is the codes they are selling on ebay for $49 real? If so I can get a romio plus for $599 w/lifetime plus the $49 which is $200 cheaper than tivo
gary712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:58 PM   #10
squint

Even better is to use the eBay codes and have a friend in Oregon buy them for you.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:37 PM   #11
gary712

does that mean the ebay codes work? and why Oregon?
gary712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:33 PM   #12
sakaike

Yes, the codes work flawlessly (see my post earlier today in the Roamio deals thread).

And I suspect Oregon because no sales tax...
sakaike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:48 PM   #13
HarperVision

Quote:
I understand lifetime service is per device. Since I already have a unit with lifetime service, wouldn't a 2nd unit (Roamio Plus) on the same account qualify for the multi-service discount of $399.99 lifetime for the new unit, even if I bought the new unit at full retail price? What I'm getting at is this offer was targeted at me by Tivo advertising an upgrade savings of $150, which in reality is a savings of $50, compared to buying a unit off the shelf at Best Buy and activating with lifetime.
OK sorry, my bad. I must've interpreted it wrong. Your assumption is correct as others have verified.

I agree the codes are definitely the best option.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:47 PM   #14
Bytez

Yep, go with the codes on ebay. Tivo is making a raw deal!
Bytez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:52 AM   #15
brentil

So I went to the page and put a TiVo Plus in my cart while logged in.

TOTAL: $825.98 (w/tax)

Put in the code from the email and got the new "upgrade offer" price.

TOTAL: $772.74 (w/tax)

Yeah, $50 off isn't enough to make me upgrade...

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
brentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:22 PM   #16
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentil View Post
So I went to the page and put a TiVo Plus in my cart while logged in. TOTAL: $825.98 (w/tax) Put in the code from the email and got the new "upgrade offer" price. TOTAL: $772.74 (w/tax) Yeah, $50 off isn't enough to make me upgrade...
Can you say, "eBay code?"
Old 05-22-2014, 10:08 PM   #17
caddyroger

Inrested in buying a Roamo plus

What would be the best way and cheapest way to buy a Roamo Plus and get life time service with it?
Old 05-22-2014, 10:14 PM   #18
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddyroger View Post
What would be the best way and cheapest way to buy a Roamo Plus and get life time service with it?
I reiterate.........
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Can you say, "eBay code?"
These are the prices: www.sellmoretivo.com
Old 05-23-2014, 07:03 AM   #19
spherular

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddyroger View Post
happy to help if I can
spherular is offline   Reply With Quote