Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-05-2014, 11:37 AM   #91
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sburnside1 View Post
I noticed they didn't really show Ali Vincent this time. I saw her in the stands with her Mom.
I think they finally realize that while she was the Biggest Loser poster child for a long time, there are OTHER contestants they could be featuring, too. Also, she has her own weight loss show on a small network, so they may not want to be promoting her as much for free.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:51 AM   #92
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sburnside1 View Post
I noticed they didn't really show Ali Vincent this time. I saw her in the stands with her Mom. She has done an awesome job maintaining since her finale.
Not exactly...

She has gained over 50 lbs back since she won and her new weight loss show is about her own attempts at weight loss again.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:34 PM   #93
Tracy
Truly

This competition is kind of unfair to women who start out in the 200's like Rachel did. If you have a big guy who starts at 450 pounds, losing 50+% of his body weight is very doable. Smaller women can't do that without dropping crazy low like Rachel. It hurt to look at her. I bet she adjusts back to where she should be.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:51 PM   #94
cl8855
woot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
This competition is kind of unfair to women who start out in the 200's like Rachel did. If you have a big guy who starts at 450 pounds, losing 50+% of his body weight is very doable. Smaller women can't do that without dropping crazy low like Rachel. It hurt to look at her. I bet she adjusts back to where she should be.
I agree and disagree a bit -- most winners in the past have been around 50% or a bit over, so for her to match that she would have ended about 130ish lbs, not that insane 105. For women to win, they usually have to start a little bigger (see Tumi -- most years she would have won with what she did!)I'd argue the same for guys like Jay who start at around 300 instead of the larger guys. No way he gets to 150 (or 120 to match Rachel!!!!), he is a healthy 180.

After this, i'd definitely like to see more focus on "goal/healthy weight" than "most lost".
Old 02-05-2014, 01:06 PM   #95
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

I've never seen the show but the "controversy" just popped up on my FB newsfeed.

Talk about "damned if you do, damned if you don't."
Robin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:18 PM   #96
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
Not exactly...

She has gained over 50 lbs back since she won and her new weight loss show is about her own attempts at weight loss again.
Are you sure about that? This link says nothing about it, and I haven't seen pictures of her heavy post-Loser.

EDIT: This says she gained 30. I was wrong.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
Old 02-05-2014, 01:42 PM   #97
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchance View Post
Are you sure about that? This link says nothing about it, and I haven't seen pictures of her heavy post-Loser.

EDIT: This says she gained 30. I was wrong.

Greg
I don't know how old that one is, but there is a synopsis of the episode where she gets on the scale for the first time and she weighs 167.6 and that it's "over 45 lbs" since she won the show. Then she weighs again later (it doesn't seem to specify how long between the weigh ins) and she weighed 175.

http://livewellnetwork.com/Live-Big-...t-Gain/9405085

I hate undated articles like these!
Old 02-05-2014, 01:43 PM   #98
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
I don't know how old that one is, but there is a synopsis of the episode where she gets on the scale for the first time and she weighs 167.6 and that it's "over 45 lbs" since she won the show. Then she weighs again later (it doesn't seem to specify how long between the weigh ins) and she weighed 175.

http://livewellnetwork.com/Live-Big-...t-Gain/9405085
I'm living that reality right now. Maintenance is damned hard.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
Old 02-05-2014, 01:55 PM   #99
laria
Librocubicularist

I should add that she's clearly not "fat", but has gained a good deal of weight since the end.

I don't know that she has the body type to maintain as low as she was when she won... most of them are clearly really dehydrated and are going to put at least some weight back on after the finale if just in water weight. She is built pretty stockily, though, and I think that the weight she was at in the immediate year or two after she won was probably more her "ideal" weight.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:34 PM   #100
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

This from Jillian:

Quote:
So here it is.

Bob and I want to take a moment to congratulate all of the BL contestants on their hard work. We're not comfortable commenting on Rachel’s journey because weren't her trainers and weren't given an opportunity to work with her at any point. Any questions about the contestants on the Biggest Loser should be directed to the show’s producers.
She and Bob have probably been deluged with comments due to their reaction at the finale. I wonder if Dolvett will coment?

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
Old 02-05-2014, 04:41 PM   #101
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Quote:
This from Jillian:

She and Bob have probably been deluged with comments due to their reaction at the finale. I wonder if Dolvett will coment?

Greg
How did her Biggest Loser trainers react upon seeing her new frame? "Dolvett [Quince] said, 'You're a fighter and I saw it from you on day 1 and I brought it out, but you did it. You accomplished it. You fought, you fought and here's your life back. You fought for it.'"

Read more: http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-...#ixzz2sUT2uZcE
JFriday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:53 PM   #102
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLR930 View Post
Someone on Twitter had the right idea, let there be a red line and if anyone is severely underweight you get disqualified.
The problem with this is, it might turn into "lose as much weight as possible, then do a crash weight gain (water works quite well for this, I am told) just before the weigh-in so you can come as close to the 'magic number' as you can" competition. This combines the problems of excessive weight loss with those of bulemia.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:03 PM   #103
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
This from Jillian:

Greg
Both Bob and Jillian posted this on FB.

Quote:
"So here it is.

Bob and I want to take a moment to congratulate all of the BL contestants on their hard work. We're not comfortable commenting on Rachel’s journey because weren't her trainers and weren't given an opportunity to work with her at any point. Any questions about the contestants on the Biggest Loser should be directed to the show’s producers."

Old 02-05-2014, 05:13 PM   #104
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

I thought all 3 finalist looked bad because they went too far trying to win. David looked much better at the last weigh in, his face also looked gaunt. Bobby lost 61 pounds after the final weigh in, he couldn't have done it a healthy way either. Maybe they should keep them on the ranch 2 weeks more and have them supervised before the finals.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:21 PM   #105
mrdazzo7

I don't like to jump on bandwagons but I agree with the comments on Rachel's weight loss - it's too much. I liked her all season, and I think she exemplified the 'second chance' thing well because she was a champion swimmer/fit person before, and she kind of lost herself for a while, and then got it back. But she swung too far in the other direction.

Sometimes with contestants, we're so used to seeing them big all season that when they do the finale it's such a shock that it seems "too far" and unhealthy in the other direction. But really they're at the weight they should be at. This is what I thought with Bobby- that he looked way too skinny. But 170 is probably close to normal for his height. But Rachel immediately struck me as sickly - he arms are rail thin, her face was sunken. It's glaringly obvious. I actually thought the same thing about Tumi but it wasn't as jarring.

I've seen a lot of comments (elsewhere) on how "the show" is so unhealthy and "the show" is responsible for stuff like this, but I don't see it like that... these are adults making decisions. She wanted to win $250,000 and decided that she would do it no matter what it took. She could have stopped when she got to 125 and said "I lost half my body weight, I win no matter what" but she kept going and ended up looking like she hasn't eaten in a month. Of course you want to win, but if you get wrapped up in just that aspect, it will make you insane. I think it's awesome that she lost as much weight as she did, and seemed to be much happier, and I hope that a lot of the extra loss was just for the show because it could be indicative of a bigger problem.

I don't know, all this stuff is weird... I'm 5'7 192# and aside from my stomach, there's nothing in my appearance that would suggest I'm an overweight person. Yet according to BMI, I am at the low end of *obese*. I would have to lose *37 pounds* in order to be at the HIGH END of "normal weight"... I would look like a walking corpse if I lost 37 pounds. So the numbers are all wacky... but based on appearance alone, she didn't look healthy at all.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:27 PM   #106
mrdazzo7

Also, I actually liked the changes they made this season - the hour time-slot for most of it, ditching the god awful elimination aspect in favor of a red line, the way the teams were picked and organized... definitely good moves. No yellow line means no painful BS elimination segments, and less forced drama all around... I hate reality shows but like this one because I'm a sucker for personal growth stories, but god do I hate the drama.

Even with the hour run time I still had to FF like crazy through all the talking heads, which got increasingly grating as the season went on. But that's part of the genre. I liked most of the contestants, and there was no made-up alliances/rivalries/etc which was good. I was impressed with everyone's weight loss, especially Craig and Fernanda (who I didn't recognize until they showed the tape) because they did most of it on their own.

For all the flack the show gets for it's practices, there are a lot of previous contestants who continue to come to the finales, do press, support the brand, and have kept the weight off. They don't *have* to do that stuff so it makes me wonder if the show is that evil behind the scenes. That's one thing I'd love to see one day - a story on how the show is made, from start to finish. They all sign non disclosure agreements so no one can talk about it. I wanna know, damn it...
Old 02-05-2014, 08:56 PM   #107
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by debtoine View Post
Rachel winning the triathlon wasn't a huge surprise, I think. Although I thought she'd had a bigger lead after the swimming.

I really like her, and want her to win, but given that she's at 150lbs already! I can't see her beat the other two guys.

T
Yeah, I thought the same thing. That was shocking. She may have "cut" weight and dehydrated herself before the weigh-in as well. That stretchy face thing happens to MMA fighters at weigh-ins. It's caused by severe dehydration. She REALLY wanted to win. I have every faith that she'll gain some back now. If not, then she has very likely developed an eating disorder that will have to be dealt with separately.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:47 PM   #108
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Dolvett posted:

Quote:
Last night's Biggest Loser Finale has sparked a huge reaction and I do not want the day to end without addressing it. Biggest Loser is a journey which has its ups and downs. Please try not to look at one slice of Rachel's journey and come to broad conclusions. Rachel's health is and always has been my main concern and her journey to good health has not yet ended!!
Interestingly enough, here's what Ali Vincent had to say:

Quote:
CONGRATULATIONS RACHEL!!!!!!!!!!

WAY TO GO, YOU DID IT!

YOU WON THE BIGGEST LOSER!

This is what should be posted all over social media.
Instead I have read the opposite and it makes me sad. My heart goes out to Rachel.

It is easy to sit on a couch or in an audience and judge whether or not someone is too thin or not thin enough. It is easy to question whether or not someone went too far or not far enough.

The Biggest Loser is a weight loss COMPETITION that millions of us watch every Tuesday night. Yes, those of us who have had the privilege of being on the show went on it to give ourselves a second chance. Now, I can only speak for myself but for me the show provided an opportunity to go for a goal that up until that point seemed impossible. The Biggest Loser set me on a journey to a strong and healthy life; the competition aspect made me give EVERYTHING I had to WIN.
I made an adult decision to give everything I had and I can only imagine Rachel did the same.
I weighed my winning weight of 122 pounds for 2 point 2 seconds of my life. Since then, I have found a weight I am comfortable with….most of the time. I am sure Rachel will do the same.

I wish Rachel the best. Rachel you are a strong, incredible woman, continue to LIVE BIG!
I agree with her.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
Old 02-06-2014, 10:01 PM   #109
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Quote:
Dolvett posted:

Interestingly enough, here's what Ali Vincent had to say:

I agree with her.

Greg
Me too. If they really don't want this too happen they just keep them on the ranch for another month or don't have such a long break from the final weigh in and the previous weigh in. The finalists lost 45, 50+ & 60+ pounds so the break was was substantial. A shorter break will not get these eye popping results.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:48 PM   #110
Squeak
An Inert Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdazzo7 View Post
I don't know, all this stuff is weird... I'm 5'7 192# and aside from my stomach, there's nothing in my appearance that would suggest I'm an overweight person. Yet according to BMI, I am at the low end of *obese*. I would have to lose *37 pounds* in order to be at the HIGH END of "normal weight"... I would look like a walking corpse if I lost 37 pounds. So the numbers are all wacky... but based on appearance alone, she didn't look healthy at all.
I don't know, I think you might be overestimating how much impact losing 37 lbs would have on you. 5'7" and 155lbs is not that out of whack. By no means would you look like a "walking corpse"

I am 5'10" and was 160 at my smallest and still had a good 10lbs of fat to lose.

Heck, look at the Olympians you see on tv and some of them are in the 160 and 170's and 4 or more inches taller.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:00 PM   #111
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Rachel has gained 20 pounds and looks great.

https://celebrity.yahoo.com/news/rac...us-weekly.html
Old 04-03-2014, 06:10 PM   #112
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday View Post
Rachel has gained 20 pounds and looks great.

https://celebrity.yahoo.com/news/rac...us-weekly.html
Yeah, I always figured she only went overboard to guarantee the win and I can't fault her for that.