TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #151
mr.unnatural

If you're looking for something in a small form factor, check out the latest Intel NUC Haswell models, the Gigabyte BRIX, or even the slightly older Intel Sandy Bridge models. These little boxes pack a lot of punch and are only about 4-1/2" x 4-1/2" x 1-1/2" in size. There's virtually no internal space for any type of expansion and you need to use a mSATA SSD with laptop DIMMs. There is a half-size mini-PCI-e slot if you want to add a wireless adapter, but most of them also have a gigabit Lan port, HDMI, and several USB2 or USB3 ports. You'd have to install the OS via an external optical drive or USB flash drive. I'm seriously thinking about getting one to replace my aging Dell Zino HD, but it will probably have to wait until after Christmas.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:07 PM   #152
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
I had a response I previously posted but decided to replace because I realized it was a complete waste of time. You have a preconceived notion about WMC that will clearly never change. You also have some preconceived notion that if you bitch about it enough you will miraculously change the minds of everyone that has no issues with WMC into believing that you actually know what you're talking about. Your continued discussions on the matter make it clear to everyone here that it is not the case.

You claim facts but have nothing to show for it but your experience with a single PC setup, and even then your "facts" are nothing more than your personal opinion (and that is an actual fact). This somehow makes you an expert on WMC, at least in your own mind. I have personally configured dozens of WMC PCs that work perfectly fine so I can safely say that I have far more experience than you do when it comes to installing and configuring a WMC PC. I use WMC on a daily basis, as do hundreds, if not thousands, of others, and somehow you know more about it than anyone else. In the grand scheme of things, you are irrelevant. Your futility in using WMC stems from your own inabilities or possibly just bad luck and nothing more. The sooner you realize that, the sooner you will find peace. However, I think you are just an angry, bitter person craving attention. There is no other rational explanation for your continued participation in this non-discussion.

Let it go. Nothing will be resolved by further discussion. Continuing this non-debate serves no one.

The bad news is that I fully expect another bitch rebuttal to be posted shortly.
I had a preconceived notion that MCE was this amazing product that could do what a TiVo could, but with cheaper, faster, bigger, PC hardware. I actually used it, and learned what a disaster it is in the real world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srauly View Post
Meh. I just spotted this thread today (have been thinking about switching back to TiVo after having used WMC for the last couple of years). After reading the first page or two of posts I was excited about replying with my thoughts/experiences, but then I got to the last couple of pages and saw that Bigg thread-crapped all over it. So I shouldn't be keeping this thread alive by replying to it, but I guess I can't help myself.

So, anyway, to answer the original poster's question, TiVo seems to stand alone in terms of an out-of-the-box consumer electronics solution. WMC (Windows Media Center), however, is definitely a viable alternative. I think there are pros/cons to each.

Unlike Bigg, I think the UI for WMC is actually very good. It is a far cry above the standard Comcast DVR UI (though maybe their most recent DVR solution that they're starting to test in some markets is decent. I don't know as I don't have any direct experience with that). Sure, there are a couple of UI things with WMC that when I first switched from my TiVo HD (Series 3) I thought, "Oh, I don't like the way that works...TiVo was better", but there were also aspects to the WMC UI that I thought were superior to how TiVo did things. And the UI was certainly a lot snappier than my TiVo HD (S3) UI (but it sounds like UI responsiveness has been greatly improved with the Roamio line).

One of the things drawing me back to TiVo is the promise of streaming to mobile devices. This was actually one of the reasons I was originally drawn to WMC. At the time, with TiVo, you'd have to first transfer your show *off* of the TiVo and onto a computer (which took time) and then convert the show to a mobile-friendly format (even longer). With WMC, you'd at least skip that first step. Since that time, I've experimented with Plex and other solutions which do a great job of transcoding on-the-fly WMC TV shows, but it only really works (well) on shows that have already completed recording. For shows still-in-progress, it doesn't really work (well). Whereas now (flash-forward nearly 2 years), TiVo with the Stream and Roamio units, can supposedly do exactly that (I'm still curious about how good the picture quality is on this transcoded content viewed on an iPad, etc.).

If the ability to view live TV on your mobile device isn't important to you, I would definitely give WMC a serious look, with one more caveat. It's not a consumer electronics, "take it out of the box and plug it in" experience. You should be fairly technical and actually enjoy tinkering a bit. If that describes you, then by all means look into WMC. I would personally recommend looking into a refurbished Apple Mac Mini with HDHomeRun PRIME as a starting point, hardware-wise. Then, add Windows 7 w/Media Center. Total cost under $700. If you don't care about having a smallish system, you can spend even less by finding another capable PC (maybe you already own one?) or an older Mac Mini. I would recommend getting something with a decently capable CPU so that you can run Plex to do transcoding on-the-fly for mobile devices of pre-recorded TV shows as well as your movie collection. FWIW, I don't personally use a Mac Mini (I have a refurb HP tower w/Intel i7 that I paid about $500 for), but I think the Mac Mini is a beautiful piece of hardware, with lots of built in features, and is competitively priced to any other small PC you'd put together yourself. Plus, if/when you want to switch to something else, it will have a decent resale value.

As I mentioned, I'm looking at the TiVo Roamio line right now. The biggest reason, quite frankly, is because I'm a tech geek and it's been a couple of good years with WMC now, but I'd kind of like to try something new/different, just for a change of pace. I do have very fond memories of TiVo and am interested/excited about the streaming possibilities. I'll add that my WMC computer is showing signs of failure. I'm sure I could resolve that entirely by reformatting/reinstalling Windows 7 (and I might not even need to do anything that drastic). So, that's an added factor, especially since my wife won't be very happy with me if my WMC server bites the dust while I'm out of town on work.

I will agree with Bigg that the TiVo peanut remote was/is a wonderful thing, and I do miss it. But in today's world, can the TiVo be your one and only device? I have an Apple TV, too, and would still need my nettop PC (running XBMC w/PleXBMC) to play my movie rips, so I pretty much have to trade the TiVo remote for a multi-device remote like one of my Logitech Harmony remotes. As great of a design as the TiVo remote is, if it can only control one thing and I have to put it down and pick up a different remote for a different use, then it's a faulty overall solution.
I don't know what you're smoking, but MCE's interface misses some of the most basic elements of a DVR interface, which even the old battleship boxes on Comcast can do correctly (albeit with few tuners, tiny hard drives, and no multi-room).

It's true that MCE had better responsiveness for years, but what good is the responsiveness in an interface that makes no sense in the first place? TiVo's sluggish interface at least makes sense. And now with the Roamios, you can have your cake and eat it too.

You absolutely need multiple devices. I have a TiVo, Roku, Apple TV, BD player, VCR, HTPC, AVR, DVDO EDGE, Wii, GCN, N64, and XBOX. That doesn't mean you need a universal remote though. Just use the remote for each device. And since the TV normally will be on the input for TiVo, you can use the Peanut to turn the TV and AVR on and off normally. And also, while you're watching TV, the peanut can handle the AVR's volume, so it's pretty friendly to use. The best solution is the original OEM remote for each device. I have about 10, I just use the right one for the right job.

The idea of building an HTPC for DVR functions is great in theory, the problem is, it needs some halfway decent software to make it a reality, and right now, and for the foreseeable future, there is no decent software available that's fully CableCard compatible. So TiVo it is.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #153
srauly

You're probably the only person I've ever heard of who has actually used the WMC user interface for an extended time and found it to be an awful or confusing. And reading through this thread and the one you linked to, it seems to be more of the same from you: You frequently make definitive statements that the WMC UI is awful but provide little to no examples/specifics.

You did list one UI frustration that I agree with: The lack of a simple list view for all of your shows. Instead, everything is tiled to some degree. I don't agree with you that it's "confusing" to use, but do agree that it's inefficient to use. Unfortunately, those of us who prefer a list view seem to be in the minority these days, as just about everyone is using a tiled view now. Netflix, Apple TV, and many more. You have to move left/right/up/down to get to what you want.

Kudos to XBMC for giving you the choice of several different types of views.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Tapwave Zodiac news, reviews, and discussion -
srauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:42 PM   #154
mr.unnatural

Funny, I thought I heard a noise. Nah, it just turned out to be more static.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:52 PM   #155
mr.unnatural

Quote:
You did list one UI frustration that I agree with: The lack of a simple list view for all of your shows.
You can most definitely display your recordings as a list in WMC. Select a show in the recorded tv screen and press the Info button on your remote. Scroll down the displayed list of options and select "View List." You can then select how you want the list displayed by selecting on of the options across the top of the screen. If you want to revert back to the large icons then do the same thing, but select "View Large" from the option list.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:17 PM   #156
srauly

Quote:
You can most definitely display your recordings as a list in WMC. Select a show in the recorded tv screen and press the Info button on your remote. Scroll down the displayed list of options and select "View List." You can then select how you want the list displayed by selecting on of the options across the top of the screen. If you want to revert back to the large icons then do the same thing, but select "View Large" from the option list.
The "View List" mode is how I have mine permanently set. But it's poorly named, because it's not a single vertical list. It's a 5x2 grid (5 rows, 2 columns visible on screen). The "View Large" mode is a single row mode where you scroll right/left only.

What I (and presumably Biggs) prefer is a single-column list where you only scroll up/down. In the XBMC software, for instance, they refer to that as "list mode". And I think that's how the TiVo's "My Shows" screen works.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by srauly : 11-29-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:48 AM   #157
mr.unnatural

I would also prefer a vertical scrolling list, but obviously the developers had other notions. I find it to be an extremely minor annoyance at best and certainly nothing to make WMC flame-worthy. I tend to try and keep up with my recorded shows so the list never gets above five or six columns of recordings, keeping navigation rather simple. I generally list the shows in chronological order in which they were recorded so I usually view the oldest first.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:18 AM   #158
srauly

Quote:
I find it to be an extremely minor annoyance at best and certainly nothing to make WMC flame-worthy.
I don't disagree with you on that.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:26 PM   #159
Bigg

Quote:
You're probably the only person I've ever heard of who has actually used the WMC user interface for an extended time and found it to be an awful or confusing. And reading through this thread and the one you linked to, it seems to be more of the same from you: You frequently make definitive statements that the WMC UI is awful but provide little to no examples/specifics.

You did list one UI frustration that I agree with: The lack of a simple list view for all of your shows. Instead, everything is tiled to some degree. I don't agree with you that it's "confusing" to use, but do agree that it's inefficient to use. Unfortunately, those of us who prefer a list view seem to be in the minority these days, as just about everyone is using a tiled view now. Netflix, Apple TV, and many more. You have to move left/right/up/down to get to what you want.

Kudos to XBMC for giving you the choice of several different types of views.
I went into many specifics. Like the lack of a list view, the byzantine settings menu (ok TiVo's settings menu needs help, but it's still worlds better than MCE's), the fact that the DVR functionality is only one menu item among many in the main menu filled with other garbage, lack of SxxEyy episode numbering, etc. It's just a mess every way around.

Quote:
The "View List" mode is how I have mine permanently set. But it's poorly named, because it's not a single vertical list. It's a 5x2 grid (5 rows, 2 columns visible on screen). The "View Large" mode is a single row mode where you scroll right/left only.

What I (and presumably Biggs) prefer is a single-column list where you only scroll up/down. In the XBMC software, for instance, they refer to that as "list mode". And I think that's how the TiVo's "My Shows" screen works.
Exactly. It isn't a list. And it gives you very little feedback as to where the beginning and end of it is. It's very visually appealing, but falls apart if you have more than a dozen or two shows. I can't even imagine it with close to a terabyte of stuff like my TiVo currently has on it!

Yeah, the NPL (or "My Shows" as they call it now) is just a straight up linear list by date, with folders based on the newest show in the folder, and since you can channel up/down to move through it, even on a laggy box, you can move through the whole thing with ease.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:32 AM   #160
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Exactly. It isn't a list. And it gives you very little feedback as to where the beginning and end of it is.
Considering you can order the list either by date recorded, alphabetically by title, or by original air date, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out where it begins at a quick glance. It also shows exactly where the program is in the list in the lower right corner when the show title is highlighted (i.e., 1|27, etc.). That's more feedback than the recording list in a Tivo provides, IIRC. Like I said, it's a minor annoyance at best. I've gotten used to it so I pay it no mind.

Last edited by mr.unnatural : 12-01-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:07 AM   #161
dadrepus

Has anybody mention Homeworks? Is is a converter for old tvs but also has a tuner and PVR features you can use for ANY TV. And with updated software works with unencrypted cable as well as over the air HD channels. It had hdmi out as well. A Tvguide type info is also offered. NO fees. Also allows you to rename channels, block channels. Pretty cheap device. Good reviews on Amazon as well.
dadrepus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #162
mr.unnatural

Careful, don't let Bigg see the reviews posted in that link. One of them said the UI wasn't intuitive so you'd just be asking for trouble if he got hold of one.

I had not heard of the Homeworx device, but it does look intriguing, especially considering the price. I just downloaded the users manual so I plan on looking through it as soon as I can get a chance.

The first questions that come to mind are:

Can any USB drive be used for recording (i.e., standard HD in a USB enclosure, USB flash drive, ao any other typre of USB storage device)?

What format does it record?

What kind of software does it use for playback (i.e., is it supplied or require a third party app)?
Old 12-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #163
srauly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadrepus View Post
Has anybody mention Homeworks?
There are some user photos of the UI on Amazon and it looks absolutely horrid.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:31 AM   #164
mr.unnatural

Quote:
There are some user photos of the UI on Amazon and it looks absolutely horrid.
Most of these third party niche products are built cheap and the designers don't invest a lot of time and effort in the UI. As long as it does what they want and it can be produced at a set price, that's all that matters.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #165
Bigg

Quote:
Considering you can order the list either by date recorded, alphabetically by title, or by original air date, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out where it begins at a quick glance. It also shows exactly where the program is in the list in the lower right corner when the show title is highlighted (i.e., 1|27, etc.). That's more feedback than the recording list in a Tivo provides, IIRC. Like I said, it's a minor annoyance at best. I've gotten used to it so I pay it no mind.
Still far more difficult to use, especially when flipping through stuff fast.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #166
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Still far more difficult to use, especially when flipping through stuff fast.
I don't find it difficult at all, but I use it every day so I'm used to it. Considering your limited exposure to WMC, it's amazing that you've become such an expert on its use. I've been using it ever since the introduction of the Ceton InfiniTV 4. I got my InfiniTV 4 in the first production run back in August of 2010, which means I've been using WMC in Windows 7 for over three years straight. How many days or weeks did you actually use it before you decided it was the worst thing ever?

I don't make any claims that it's the best DVR software out there, but if you want to use a cablecard for recording and watching digital TV, it's the only software available, with but a few exceptions. If your provider transmits all channels in the clear (i.e., not flagged as copy once), then there are one or two other options. However, using them generally requires a higher level of technical expertise than the average user can muster.

Considering everything that WMC offers plus the ability to tweak it and upgrade it to your heart's content, whatever little quirks you find objectionable pale in comparison to the benefits I get from it. In other words, the pros greatly outweigh the cons, and most of the cons you complain about aren't even on most people's radar.

I've tried Windows 8 very briefly and my first impression was that the UI is absolutely horrible. It's not at all intuitive, especially for long time users of previous versions of Windows. Rather than go into a long rant about it, suffice it to say that over the long haul, Windows 8 has been getting a lot of positive feedback from users, as well as it's share of complaints. The 8.1 release is supposed to have a lot of fixes for things people complained about in the initial release.

The point is, just because I personally don't care for Windows 8, I don't complain about it and voice my opinion to the point where I go out of my way to condemn it as the worst OS ever. The fact that so many others like it tells me that it must have some merit. I just haven't taken the time to explore it more deeply. The UI is different and will require a learning curve to get used to it, just like going from a Tivo to WMC. It's not necessarily better or worse, just different.

BTW, how are you all enjoying the ads on your Tivo? I don't have to deal with any of that crap.

Last edited by mr.unnatural : 12-08-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #167
PalmTrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gifted1 View Post
Are there any other companies out there that sell DVR units? And this is excluding cable companies that lease you a DVR unit.

I know when I did some research a few months ago, I couldn't find any except for one that I think Sony sold years ago and they no longer sell.

What else is out there besides Tivo?
I may have missed it earlier in the thread, but...

I'm surprised at how few mentions there have been of all of the alternate pre-built / commercial set-top box / PVR devices. Yeah, some of them have poor UIs and EPGs, and choice of ATSC OTA or QAM, but they will offer many of the OP's implied feature requests (although with no CableCard support for most).

Check out the AVSForum thread on "2014 list of consumer available DVR's".

The models include: "BriteView BV-980H / Zinwell ZAT-980H, Channel Master CM 7x00 / DTVPal, Digital Stream / RCA DPH1000R, DVICO TViX M6620N, ePVision PHD-VRX/2, iView-3500STB & the similar Homeworx HW-150PVR and another 4-6 versions under different names using the MStar SoC, Magnavox/Funai TB745H/F7 & similar Philips HDR5710/F7 & 5750".
PalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #168
PalmTrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmTrees View Post
I may have missed it earlier in the thread, but...

I'm surprised at how few mentions there have been of all of the alternate pre-built / commercial set-top box / PVR devices. Yeah, some of them have poor UIs and EPGs, and choice of ATSC OTA or QAM, but they will offer many of the OP's implied feature requests (although with no CableCard support for most).

Check out the AVSForum thread on "2014 list of consumer available DVR's".

The models include: "BriteView BV-980H / Zinwell ZAT-980H, Channel Master CM 7x00 / DTVPal, Digital Stream / RCA DPH1000R, DVICO TViX M6620N, ePVision PHD-VRX/2, iView-3500STB & the similar Homeworx HW-150PVR and another 4-6 versions under different names using the MStar SoC, Magnavox/Funai TB745H/F7 & similar Philips HDR5710/F7 & 5750".
Oh, and I forgot to mention --

There are also a new bunch of small, prebuilt Android boxes coming out that include an ATSC / QAM tuner and HDMI out with audio passthru. Many of these can grab good, no-cost EPG information from the Internet instead of OTA PSIP. They can also use XBMC apps for Amazon Prime Instant, Netflix, and Hulu.

These Android devices include the Jynxbox Android HD, the Arctic MC001-XBMC (sold out but may be more in the future), and the Geniatech ATV1220.

Within a few years, Android and XBMC on these devices may be solid enough to offer some competition that's stable enough for the average American consumer.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #169
Dan203
Super Moderator

Clear QAM is going away, so unless you're content with the half dozen OTA channels you can get you'd need a DVR that supports CableCARD. As it is right now the only options are TiVo and Media Center with one of the 2-3 CableCARD compatible tuner cards.

Since the OP specifically mentions not wanting to lease a DVR from the cable company I assumed he needed cable compatibility, so none of the options you mentioned would really work.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:58 PM   #170
tivohaydon

Quote:
Exactly. It isn't a list. And it gives you very little feedback as to where the beginning and end of it is. It's very visually appealing, but falls apart if you have more than a dozen or two shows. I can't even imagine it with close to a terabyte of stuff like my TiVo currently has on it!
I agree the built in WMCE list is terrible. RecordedTVHD makes this completely bearable and organizes things quite well. You get nice auto-season grouping for TV series, full screen background art and a lot more.

Works with many programs recorded. Right now it looks like I'm using about 10TB of my 15TB available. 1324 programs recorded.
tivohaydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:19 AM   #171
PalmTrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Clear QAM is going away, so unless you're content with the half dozen OTA channels you can get you'd need a DVR that supports CableCARD. As it is right now the only options are TiVo and Media Center with one of the 2-3 CableCARD compatible tuner cards.

Since the OP specifically mentions not wanting to lease a DVR from the cable company I assumed he needed cable compatibility, so none of the options you mentioned would really work.
?

OP has already said a couple times on other threads that he doesn't pay for cable TV, he just uses the Clear QAM channels that never got filtered/trapped on his line:

Quote:
I don't have a subscription with Time Warner but I can plug the cable wire in from the wall to my TV and get all the OTA channels with no problem. But once I plug it into my Tivo, I only get about 6 channels versus the 20+ that I get with plugging it into my TV.
Quote:
I don't subscribe to cable. I do get regular channels though Time Warner though. My building has it set up where all I have to do is plug
So given that his Time Warner area still has clear QAM, any of those STBs/PVRs in the list -- including the Android boxes with tuner -- that do Clear QAM tuning would be great for him.

If you're talking about cable subscribers in general -- then yes, the STB/PVRs in my posts above will lose their usefulness (except for OTA antenna tuning purposes) within a couple years.

However -- given this exact reason that Clear QAM is going away, we may see a number of these STB/PVR makers that currently offer Clear QAM tuning adding a CableCARD slot to their units. They know that if they want to keep their small potential customer base, which is looking for $60 or $160 alternatives to TiVo and rented cable boxes, that the CableCARD slot addition will be necessary.

Prices are falling rapidly on equipment that has CableCARD slots currently, like the Ceton and HDHR models. We're likely to see cheap versions from Chinese fab shops on AliExpress within a short time frame -- including as add-on CableCARD tuners for Android boxes. As demand grows due to loss of Clear QAM, supply will catch up -- Chinese entrepreneurs will make sure of that.

Last edited by PalmTrees : 12-11-2013 at 12:21 AM. Reason: android, not linux
Old 12-11-2013, 01:03 AM   #172
Dan203
Super Moderator

I hadn't read any of his posts in other treads, just this one. His first post made it sound like he was looking for an alternative to a cable DVR so I assumed he was looking for something that worked with cable.

As for your comment about other companies jumping in on the CableCARD market I'm not so sure. There is a LOT of uncertainty in this market. MS stopped all development of Media Center so companies making tuners for HTPCs are going to be in trouble unless another alternative comes along. Unfortunately the process for getting CableCARD certified is very difficult, and expensive, and requires protection at the OS level which is why MCE was the only option. On top of that the recent decision by the FCC to allow Charter to start working on a new downloadable security model puts a lot of uncertainty on the future of CableCARDs in general. TiVo is already invested, so they'll stick around, but other companies might look at this and decide it's not worth the risk to invest in.

But my point still stands.... If you want a cable compatible DVR today your only options are TiVo and MCE, and MCE is on it's way out so unless someone else joins the fray TiVo is going to be the last man standing.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:15 AM   #173
HarperVision

I think if Samsung's Cablecard tuner is successful then they'll offer a multi tuner DVR version. Maybe even the current one will be updated to include that feature by attaching an external hard drive.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:34 AM   #174
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivohaydon View Post
I agree the built in WMCE list is terrible. RecordedTVHD makes this completely bearable and organizes things quite well. You get nice auto-season grouping for TV series, full screen background art and a lot more.

Works with many programs recorded. Right now it looks like I'm using about 10TB of my 15TB available. 1324 programs recorded.
I tried it when it was first introduced and it's a great little app for the WMC recording list. I stopped using it because I prefer the actual list instead of the large poster art. I don't keep that many shows in my Recorded TV folder as I tend to watch them and then delete them so there is no need for me to keep things organized in that manner. It was actually less confusing to use the simple list.

That's one of the best features of WMC. If you don't like the way something looks, there is probably a third party app, patch, or hack that will modify WMC to your liking.

If I want to keep anything I will archive it on my 26TB unRAID server. I used to archive a lot of TV series until I woke up and realized that I'll probably never watch any of them again. I'm currently using about 21TB out of the 26TB available. Most of the files are ripped Blu-Rays and DVDs with a few TV series that I have archived or downloaded. I will never live long enough to watch all of the movies I have collected over the years.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:35 AM   #175
videobruce
OTA is still alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gifted1 View Post
Are there any other companies out there that sell DVR units? And this is excluding cable companies that lease you a DVR unit.
I know when I did some research a few months ago, I couldn't find any except for one that I think Sony sold years ago and they no longer sell.
What else is out there besides Tivo?
The closest choices are the new Channel master DVR+ and the revised ePVision VRX2.
Both have enhanced Guides, it's included with the CM, but optional with the VRX2. Both have fallbacks to PSIP programming from each OTA station. Unlike TiVo, you are not forced to pay for a Guide to allow full functionality.
(You do have to add your own HDD)

Below are links for the attached list;

Bright View/Zinwell BV 980H;
http://www.brite-view.com/980h.php
http://www.amazon.com/brite-View-BV-.../dp/B004XIB9UA
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1337412/br...at-980h-thread

Channel Master CM 7000 / DTVPal;
http://www.channelmaster.com/Channel...r_TV_s/304.htm
http://www.amazon.com/Channel-Master...ews/B0033TJPJW
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1360146/ch...ternet-content

Channel Master CM 7400 / Entone Amulet 458 (w/ fan);
http://www.channelmaster.com/Channel...r_TV_s/304.htm
http://www.amazon.com/Channel-Master.../dp/B0065EQ45U
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1360146/ch...ternet-content
http://henrybowman.wordpress.com/201...m7400-ota-dvr/
http://www.entone.com/products/amulet
http://antennalogic.ecrater.com/p/17...er-for-antenna

Channel Master DVR+;
http://www.channelmasterstore.com/DV...m?Click=32508#
http://support.channelmaster.com/hc/...55-CM-7500GB16
http://support.channelmaster.com/hc/...sers_Guide.pdf
http://reviews.cnet.com/video-player...-35833139.html
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1481183/ch...-owners-thread

Digital Stream/RCA DPH1000R (couldn't find any importers website);
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Recorder.html
http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/columns/...ams-hd-dvr.php
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Stream...pr_product_top
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1402738/rc...-hdtv-recorder

DVICO TViX M6620N
http://www.tvix.co.kr/ENG/products/PVRM6620N.aspx
http://www.digitalconnection.com/pro...vixM6620NP.asp
http://www.amazon.com/M-6620N-Wirele...pr_product_top
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1195962/of...am-tuner-topic

ePVision PHD VRX/VRX2;
http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/phdvrxmain.htm
http://www.amazon.com/1080p-Digital-...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1414002/ep...-owners-thread

Funai made Magnavox TB745H/F7/Philips HDR5710 & 50/F7;
http://www.usa.philips.com/c/blu-ray...750_f7/prd/en/
http://download.p4c.philips.com/file...f7_dfu_aen.pdf
http://www.twice.com/articletype/new...dr-pair/109046
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1498196/ma...i-fi-streamers
http://www.amazon.com/review/B00G037...elpful.Reviews
(nothing on the Maggy web site as of this date)

iView-3500STB/3500STBIII;
http://iviewus.com/product_detail.ph...154&parentId=1
http://iviewus.com/admin/file_upload...163411file.pdf
http://www.amazon.com/iView-3500STB-...DateDescending
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465875/iv...-owners-thread

Mediasonic Homeworx HW-150PVR;
http://www.mediasonic.ca/product.php?id=1365123671
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CXAE92K

Moxi;
http://www.moxi.com/us/moxi_dvr.html
http://www.amazon.com/Moxi-2-Tuner-5...owViewpoints=1
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1095015/moxi-hd-dvr
For the record, this will be of interest (link from Bryan_CoxPHX);
http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2012-02/...i-dvr-service/

Attached Images
File Type: pdf HD DVR Comparison 011014.pdf (70.2 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by videobruce : 01-11-2014 at 11:07 AM. Reason: added links
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:21 AM   #176
heyted

Quote:
I've got a mini-ITX setup with an AMD E350 as a satellite HTPC in the spare bedroom. It was painfully slow until I recently installed an SSD for the OS drive. I'm not all that crazy about the mini-ITX platform because you only get a single PCI-e slot and they tend to cost more than either a micro-ATX or full-sized ATX setup. Cases are way overpriced as well.
Using a TiVo as a case can help with the case price. Mine was less than zero dollars after I sold some of the other Premiere components. Granted it takes time, and it is larger than regular cases.

Quote:
I'd actually prefer an Intel NUC or a Gigabyte Brix to a mini-ITX platform for a satellite system. They can be used with more powerful CPUs for better performance (i.e., faster menus, etc.). It's not a good choice for DVR use unless you can set it up with networked storage to hold the recordings. There are several different network tuner options available.
I agree it is not the best choice for performance, and it is of course sower than a NUC with a Core i3 or i5 processor, but I have found it to be quite adequate without network storage. It is using a hard disc from a TiVo Premiere for booting and storing content. I am using it as a combined frontend and backend. People can judge for themselves from the video below if the performance is adequate.

_

heyted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:16 PM   #177
mr.unnatural

Wow. What did you use to cut the hole in the top, a can opener? I hope you've had your tetanus shot. Other than that, nice job.

I had thoughts of re-purposing one of my old DTivos as a small form factor PC using my mini-ITX platform. I ended up replacing the mini-ITX unit with an Intel NUC