TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #1
Adela

Can't find "Suggestions" to kill it...

Hello, I have the RCN Premier TIVO. Trying to familiarize with finding things. But I can't find that blessed "Suggestions" function so I can delete it! I find the thousands of suggestions but can't stop it at all. Also trying to delete the selections....I find you can delete only ONE at a time...

Also, does any of you get a Mute icon moving around over the printed names? I contacted the chat on TIVO and was told it's not a TIVO. I then went to my server, RCN, and they said it's not theirs...whose is it for God's sake??? I'd like to make that annoying thing stay put in one corner, otherwise, to delete it.

Thanks ever so much for any help!
Adela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
PapaArt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adela View Post
Also, does any of you get a Mute icon moving around over the printed names? I contacted the chat on TIVO and was told it's not a TIVO. I then went to my server, RCN, and they said it's not theirs...whose is it for God's sake??? I'd like to make that annoying thing stay put in one corner, otherwise, to delete it.

Thanks ever so much for any help!
The mute icon is from your TV.
Series 3 OLED - SOLD
THD - WD10EARS
THD - WD10EARX - SOLD
Series 2
PapaArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

I don't know if the Premiere for RCN's navigation menus are identical, but on a regular Premiere:
TiVo Central > Settings & Messages > Settings > Recording > TiVo Suggestions
Old 10-15-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
Adela

thank you PapaArt, I'll have to go to Samsung and question them.

P.S. In the message I received saying I had a response, it came with the following. Is this a spam? But how could it have entered TIVO's message to me?:

Quote:
Here is the message that has just been posted:
hw4cm net/womens-north-face-canada-waterproof-red-p-179 html]the north face cheap jackets Sunglasses repair options do exist, and it is possible to have your lenses replaced quickly and easily hw4cm net/mens-north-face-canada-triclimate-jackets-blue-p-157 html]north face promo The life he had part been given, part chosen kelsfit com/north-face-womens-denali-hoodie-outlet-store-purple-cheap-96 html]north face apex bionic jacket Today, it is based at San Leandro kelsfit com/north-face-mens-triclimate-jackets-outlet-store-blue-cheap-67 html]north face jacket for women Once you are confident that all excess water is removed it's time for the next step kingswater org/]uggs outlet sale North Face jackets simply offer jackets that are not only good looking, but also are functional in any type of weather kingswater org/womens-ugg-boots-for-cheap-jimmy-choo-uggs-c-1_2 html]cheap uggs kids china

Old 10-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
jrtroo
User

Why would you want to kill suggestions? They do not take any actual hard drive space away from your other programs. They get better over time.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
PapaArt

Quote:
thank you PapaArt, I'll have to go to Samsung and question them.

P.S. In the message I received saying I had a response, it came with the following. Is this a spam? But how could it have entered TIVO's message to me?:
That was SPAM. It's gone now.

The mute button on the Tivo remote controls the TV mute or reciever.
Series 3 OLED - SOLD
THD - WD10EARS
THD - WD10EARX - SOLD
Series 2
PapaArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #7
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Why would you want to kill suggestions? They do not take any actual hard drive space away from your other programs. They get better over time.
Simple. He doesn't want them. That's all that's necessary.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #8
Adela

Quote:
Thank you jrtroo, if it doesn't take the space of the selections I chose, then perhaps I'll let it live... lol! Because if it does, then it will be deleting my earlier selections. As someone said somewhere in this forum, I have enough of the selections I made that I won't be able to watch them plus the suggested ones in my lifetime...

Thanks again! Adela
Old 10-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #9
Adela

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaArt View Post
That was SPAM. It's gone now.

The mute button on the Tivo remote controls the TV mute or reciever.
Oh how silly of me, I should've known it was just spam! As to the mute wondering button, I'll have to question Samsung.

Thanks again PapaArt! Adela
Old 10-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #10
Adela

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
I don't know if the Premiere for RCN's navigation menus are identical, but on a regular Premiere:
TiVo Central > Settings & Messages > Settings > Recording > TiVo Suggestions
Than you very much scandia! As jrtroo said, if it won't interfere with the space for my own selections, I may just leave it alone. But it's good that you gave me the formula in case I change my mind. I'll go and try it.

Thanks again!
Old 10-16-2013, 06:25 AM   #11
steve614
what ru lookin at?

As others have pointed out, the mute icon is coming from your TV.
I have a Samsung UN26EH4000F, and as far as I know, there is no setting to "fix" the mute icon. As you noted, it "floats" up and down the left side of the screen.
The only thing I know to do is to just turn the volume down to zero. That will give you muted sound with no icon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:05 AM   #12
jcthorne

My problem with suggestions is that it completely fills the drive rendering the 'recently deleted' list useless. If I could limit the space suggestions uses such that the recently deleted list would at least keep items from the last 24 hrs I would leave it on. For now, it renders a useful feature broken so if its one or the other, its gone.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:57 AM   #13
Adela

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
As others have pointed out, the mute icon is coming from your TV.
I have a Samsung UN26EH4000F, and as far as I know, there is no setting to "fix" the mute icon. As you noted, it "floats" up and down the left side of the screen.
The only thing I know to do is to just turn the volume down to zero. That will give you muted sound with no icon.
Oh thank you so much Steve! I'll try turning the volume down to zero so I don't have to bother questioning Samsung....although the volume button in my TV is kind of heavy to move and it does it one at a time instead of just sliding up or down...I think this must be a glitch by Samsung since the icon shouldn't be mobile. Thanks again! Adela
Old 10-16-2013, 08:09 AM   #14
Adela

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
My problem with suggestions is that it completely fills the drive rendering the 'recently deleted' list useless. If I could limit the space suggestions uses such that the recently deleted list would at least keep items from the last 24 hrs I would leave it on. For now, it renders a useful feature broken so if its one or the other, its gone.
Hello jcthorne, is it a fact that as Suggestions accumulate, the shows one chose individually may be deleted if they surpass the space? If you've observed that for a fact, then I'll definitely delete this function. Please let me know? Thanks so much!

Actually I noticed one thing (which may or may not be related?), that a whole group of the same, recurrent shows that I had chosen, mysteriously disappeared. Any experience with this? Thanks again! Adela
Old 10-16-2013, 08:20 AM   #15
jrtroo
User

No, he is managing his recently deleted folder.

A suggestion will NEVER delete a show you scheduled. Suggestions will end up aging and as it records new ones it will delete old suggestions. If your recorded shows fill the drive, suggestions will stop and eventually the tivo may eventually start deleting your own oldest content.

I never use the deleted folder, but apparently jcthorne does.

Last edited by jrtroo : 10-16-2013 at 11:04 AM. Reason: removing sentence that was in error.
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:34 AM   #16
Adela

Quote:
If your recorded shows fill the drive, suggestions will stop and the tivo may eventually start deleting your own oldest content.
Okay, then my own oldest tapings will be deleted ONLY when they surpass the space, regardless of the "Suggestions" list. In addition, when this happens, "Suggestions" will stop adding more suggestions. Then, apparently the 2 functions are somehow related?

Please forgive my hard head on this...
Old 10-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #17
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
No, he is managing his recently deleted folder.

A suggestion will NEVER delete a show you scheduled. Suggestions will end up aging and as it records new ones it will delete old suggestions. As they delete, they fall into the recently deleted folder. If your recorded shows fill the drive, suggestions will stop and eventually the tivo may eventually start deleting your own oldest content.

Nope. suggestions don't end up in the RDF on their own. If the drive is full and there are recordings in the RDF, those will be automatically deleted to make room for more suggestion (as well as scheduled recordings). If the RDF is empty, then suggestions will be deleted to make room for more recordings, suggestions and scheduled.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #18
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Okay, then my own oldest tapings will be deleted ONLY when they surpass the space, regardless of the "Suggestions" list. In addition, when this happens, "Suggestions" will stop adding more suggestions. Then, apparently the 2 functions are somehow related?

Please forgive my hard head on this...
Your recordings would not be automatically deleted until all of the RDF and suggestions have been deleted. You'll end up with fewer and fewer suggestions until there is only room for your scheduled recordings
Old 10-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #19
jrtroo
User

You are right, I meant to delete that second sentence in the second paragraph. Doing that now.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #20
Adela

Well....since I can't exactly understand the discussion, I'll leave the Suggestions in just in case.

I have two more puzzles for which I hope I can get help, on another thread.

Thanks so much to all of you for helping!!!
Old 10-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #21
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Well....since I can't exactly understand the discussion, I'll leave the Suggestions in just in case.

I have two more puzzles for which I hope I can get help, on another thread.

Thanks so much to all of you for helping!!!
The answer is "suggestions never count against your space" it will never delete something you asked it to record to make room for a suggestion.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #22
Adela

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
The answer is "suggestions never count against your space" it will never delete something you asked it to record to make room for a suggestion.
THANK YOU SO MUCH DIANE for a simple answer to a simple mind like mine!

So I will then continue to have the Suggestions function since I understand for sure now that they will never delete the choices I scheduled. Adela