TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-21-2011, 03:25 PM   #1
e_identity

Tivo Slide Remote would not fully reset

I am posting a description of a problem I had w/ my Tivo slide remote just in case it helps someone else. My problem seemed slightly different than other problems I saw described here.
I have a Premiere XL Tivo box and I purchased a slide remote separately. I connected the bluetooth ("bt") usb dongle and the slide remote worked fine. After a software update a month or two ago, the Tivo box and the slide remote stopped working. I reset the Tivo box (a few times) and it finally began working again, but the slide remote would not work. Multiple times I tried resetting the remote (<tivo><tvpower>, <thumbs down>X3, <enter>), attempting to re-pair the remote to the bt dongle, and restarting the Tivo box. I verified that the slide remote batteries were fresh and installed correctly. The slide remote still would not work on the Tivo box. I got out the IR glo remote that came w/ the Tivo box and it worked fine. When I pressed a button (other than volume, TVPower, TV Input) on the slide remote, the blue light at the tip of the remote flashed (indicating that the slide remote was still in bt mode even though resetting the remote and/or disconnecting the bt dongle should have caused the slide remote to revert to IR mode (amber light at tip)). If I programmed the slide remote, the TV would respond to the slide remote (volume, TVPower, TVInput) and for these functions the amber light flashed at the tip of the slide remote (indicating IR mode). After about a month of failing to solve this problem on my own, I contacted Tivo customer service. After a round of questions, the TIVO CSR determined that a faulty remote was the likely cause and gave contact info for arranging a warranty exchange. The Tivo CSRs I dealt with were polite and informed and I appreciated the assistance they provided.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:30 AM   #2
e_identity

Please help me keep my Slide Remote out of the landfill

As per the original post, I received a replacement Slide remote from Tivo. The problems I had with the original remote have now recurred with the replacement. I contacted Tivo customer service by email, but they were unable to suggest any steps that improved the situation and did not offer to re-replace the remote. I am wondering if there is anything I can do to get the Slide remote to work so that I don't have to throw it away. Basically, the problem is that the remote buttons don’t work to control the Tivo (though it will control the TV via IR and the slide out keyboard seems to work). By contrast the IR remote that came w/ the Tivo seems to work fine to control the Tivo. I think the problem relates to the BT and that resetting the remote does not seem to reset the BT.

I have done a global reset of the remote according to Tivo’s instructions (<tivo><tvpower>, <thumbs > down>X3, <enter>). I know that I am successful b/c the remote forgets the TV remote code and that code needs to be re-entered b/f the remote will control the TV. However, after global reset, the remote buttons still do not work for the Tivo. I have also tried re-pairing the remote and the BT dongle according to TIVO’s instructions, but that seems to have no effect.

When I do the global reset, it is my understanding that the remote *should* reset completely including being no longer paired to the BT dongle on the TIVO box. After a global reset, I understand that the slide remote *should* operate in IR mode to control both the TV (volume/power) and the Tivo box. I also understand that the color of the LED light above the TIVO button tells me which mode the remote is in (blue for BT, amber for IR). In my case, after a global reset and before I make any attempt to "re-pair" the BT function, the LED above the TIVO button still flashes blue when I press a button to control the TIVO box (but amber (after I reprogram the remote with the TV code) for a TV function button). This leads me to wonder if there is some other way to get the Slide remote to actually "unpair" from the BT dongle so that my attempt to "re-pair" it would be more successful. If I understand correctly, I could be certain the Slide remote had "un-paired" from the BT dongle if I did a global reset, did not "re-pair" it, and the light above the TIVO button was amber when I used a button to control the TIVO box. However, I cannot achieve this. I am certain my attempts at global reset are working b/c the remote forgets how to control the TV (after global reset, I have to re-enter the TV remote code b/f the slide remote will control the TV). The behavior of the slide remote is not changed even if the BT dongle is dis-connected from the TIVO box throughout the entire global reset process.

Thanks for any suggestions,

e
Old 12-13-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
tunarollz
Jon at TiVo

a few questions:

-When in this funky state you mention the slide out keyboard works in the TiVo UI?

-After a global reset, what's the state of the Slide LED? It should be amber when you first activate the mode, and blink a few ambers after the thumbs down + enter sequence (confirmation of the clear). Right after this, the LED should have a constant blue blink while it searches for the BT dongle. Does yours go through all these same behaviors? If so, you just need to press and hold the BT button on your dongle for a few seconds and when you release it, it should also have a constant blink as well. Once they find each other, they'll both cease their blinks and be paired again.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:49 PM   #4
e_identity

tunarollz,
Thanks for all your suggestions.

1. Yes, when in this funky state, the slide keyboard will input text to the tivo box. I used my regular remote to get to a search field then tested the keyboard.

2. When I press <TVPower><TIVO> for a few seconds, solid amber light comes on. When I press <thumbs down>X3 and <enter>, the amber light flashes with each button press. Then the amber light flashes on its own four times, then nothing more. No blue light indicating that the remote is searching for the BT dongle. When I press a button to control the TIVO, the blue light flashes once for each button press, but the buttons do not have any effect on the TIVO.

I also tried re-pairing the slide & dongle. On the TiVo Slide remote, I pressed and held the TiVo button and the blue "B" button simultaneously until the activity indicator light blinked blue. The light on the slide blinks blue twice, then stops. On the dongle, I pressed and held the button until the LED started blinking. The remote still doesn't work. Then I tried reversing the order (button on dongle then buttons on slide), but remote still doesn't work to control the TIVO box. The light on the dongle keeps flashing for a while after I press the button, but the light on the remote only flashes a few times.

Thanks again for your suggestions--I really appreciate them. I guess I may be sending another remote to the landfill.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:55 PM   #5
tunarollz
Jon at TiVo

sorry to hear you're still having problems with your slide. It sounds like that unit isn't able to go into pairing mode anymore. I don't know why though. I'd suggest asking TiVo CS to replace the unit, but upon reading your above posts, it sounds like this is the replacement unit and it somehow has the same issue...

Both the global reset and the tivo+B pairing procedures should leave the remote in a BT hunting state. Neither of your slides seem to want to unpair though. That's why it stays in BT mode (as indicated by your blue LED flashes w/ keypresses on your slide).

Curious...what happens when you remove the BT dongle from the box and press a few keys on the slide upper half? You *should* see it eventually revert from sending BT to IR based on the status LED. I'd imagine since it's having problems unpairing, it probably isn't talking to your dongle to begin w/ and will just stay in BT mode.

Another question - this is a new slide and new BT dongle that came with the new unit, yes? It should be pre-paired out-of-box. Was that the case w/ ur new slide? Or are you re-using the old dongle?
Old 12-14-2011, 03:58 PM   #6
e_identity

tunarollz,

Thanks again for your thoughts!

>Curious...what happens when you remove the BT dongle from the box and
> press a few keys on the slide upper half? You *should* see it eventually
>revert from sending BT to IR based on the status LED. I'd imagine since it's
> having problems unpairing, it probably isn't talking to your dongle to begin
> w/ and will just stay in BT mode.

You are correct, when I remove the BT dongle from the Tivo box and press keys on the upper half of the Slide remote, the slide stays in BT mode and the blue status LED flashes. The dongle has been unplugged for more than 24 consecutive hours, and this condition persists.

>Another question - this is a new slide and new BT dongle that came with
> the new unit, yes? It should be pre-paired out-of-box. Was that the case
> w/ ur new slide? Or are you re-using the old dongle?

You are correct, this is a new slide that came with a new BT dongle, I am not reusing the old BT dongle. The remote/dongle were pre-paired out-of-the-box and worked fine for a few months, then the same problem I had with the first Slide remote recurred.

Thanks again for your help!

e_identity
Old 12-15-2011, 01:11 PM   #7
tunarollz
Jon at TiVo

yikes...not sure what's causing these slides to fail. How long has it been since you got this replacement? I'd let TiVo CS know that the replacement unit failed the same way. Hopefully you get a replacement that doesn't go south like that.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:23 PM   #8
rcobourn
Registered Snoozer

It almost sounds like your remote is pairing with something else when you reset it... I wonder if you have a neighbor whose TiVo suddenly starts responding to phantom remote commands.

Just for kicks, turn off every other device with BT in your house, then try re-pairing.

Good luck.
rcobourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:04 PM   #9
e_identity

tunarollz, I did contact Tivo CS by email. As I noted above, Tivo CS did not offer to re-replace the unit. What they actually said via email was "If you have done this [i.e. global reset as per Tivo's instructions], at this point I would advise an exchange as you know the Bluetooth works since the keyboard works, and the IR sensor on the TiVo is functioning or else the other remote would not work. I see that it was not purchased through us, so I would suggest contacting the place of purchase to see what your options are." I am not sure I agree w/ Tivo CS's diagnosis, but they didn't respond to my follow-up email. In any case the unit is well out of warranty (IIRC the warranty is a relatively short 60 days). Given the expired warranty and the fact that I don't any longer have the remote originally sold to me by ElectronicsExpo (I returned it to Tivo), I did not bother contacting the orginal seller. I originally purchased the Slide in late October 2010, didn't get around to using the Slide till late that winter, and by late March 2011, the first slide had stopped working. I contacted Tivo and they agreed to send a replacement at that time, and I used the replacement until it stopped working (probably sometime this summer). I didn't have any time to deal w/ the problem till recently, so the dysfuntionial slide just sat there for a while. I will note that in the fall of 2010 I bought two Tivo Boxes and two Slide remotes. The Slide remote that I use w/ the Premier XL box, has had the problems described in this thread. The Slide remote that I use with my Premier box has not had any problems. Anyway, thanks for your suggestions!!

rcobourn, thanks for your response and suggestions! I did think about whether the Slide was pairing w/ another BT device. I disconnected the BT dongle on the Premiere XT Tivo Box, verified that BT was off on my Blackberry, disconnected the BT dongle on my desktop pc, and couldn't find any other BT devices that were active. It did not change the Slide's behavior. Good suggestion though. In any case, as noted above, when I do the global reset it doesn't go through the seek for BT process described by tunarollz and it doesn't go through the continuously-flashing-blue-led phaze when I make a specific effort to pair it to the BT dongle on the Tivo Box. So it seems to me that it is not pairing w/ some other BT device. In any case, I really appreciate your thinking about it!
Old 12-15-2011, 04:36 PM   #10
tunarollz
Jon at TiVo

any chance these slide remotes are going through some more-extreme-than-usual handling? Kids, pets, frequent dropping or accidental sitting on the remotes? I ask because the behavior you describe and the fact that it happens over time leads me to suspect the ribbon for communication between the two halves may've become severed or at least disconnected.

Are you able to program any functions to control your TV using one of these affected slide remotes?
Old 12-16-2011, 09:03 AM   #11
e_identity

tunarollz,
Thanks again for your continued thoughts on this! The slide remote, after I program it to control the TV, does a fine job of controlling the TV volume, power, and input functions. When a TV function button is pushed, the remote uses IR to control the TV (based on the fact that it works on the IR only TV and the flashing amber LED at the top of the remote). At the same time, the buttons don't work at all to control the Tivo (blue flashing LED when a TIVO button is pressed). I have a kid (no dog) and it wouldn't shock me to learn that the remote had been dropped or sat upon. That said, I am not sure that the two-halves of the slide are disconnected since the bottom half keyboard still works and the top half TV buttons still work. Is there anyway to test for this problem? I guess I could try disassembly just to see what I find. If I can't get it back together, I won't be any worse off....
Anyway, I really appreciate your suggestions!
Old 12-16-2011, 09:25 PM   #12
tunarollz
Jon at TiVo

Yeah. unfortunately it'd have to be opened up to check what's going on with the ribbon. It's obviously not fully disconnected as the top half still has function. It sounds like it may be damaged somehow though. Not sure how this happens on two separate slides though. Any chance you're located in California (the bay area to be specific)?

-jon
Old 12-16-2011, 11:51 PM   #13
e_identity

tunarollz,
Unfortunately, I am on the other coast. Thanks though!
Any advice on opening the slide up? There is one screw under the battery cover, but removing that screw doesn't reveal an obvious next step. I searched for help, but didn't find any advice on this.
Thanks again!!!
Old 12-18-2011, 05:04 PM   #14
tunarollz
Jon at TiVo

Yeah it's tough to open w/o breaking so be really careful. That said, I'm not sure how much you'll actually be able to see once it's open. The ribbon being damaged is suspect, but other than that, it'll probably be hard to track down any obvious issues...
Old 12-18-2011, 09:03 PM   #15
e_identity

Tunarollz, thanks for the advice! Turns out that, after you remove the screw, it pops apart pretty easily. I inspected the interior of the slide remote. Ribbon cable attached and appears to be be w/o damage. No obvious damage anywhere. This is obviously not conclusive, but all I can determine visually. Sadly, the remote appears to be off to the landfill. Thanks for all the assistance and suggestions!
Old 12-19-2011, 05:37 PM   #16
tunarollz
Jon at TiVo

was hoping something obvious would show up. sorry to hear about the troubles you've had with your slide. if you were local, i'd love to pick it up and have one of my guys take a look. Very curious what would turn up from FA...
Old 01-14-2012, 12:21 PM   #17
kbake

I'm experiencing a frustrating problem with the slide remote. All functions were learned from my Glo remote and everything works fine except the Power button. It will turn OFF the tv but it will not turn it ON. Very strange.

I've tried the learning feature several times and the light blinks multiple times to indicate learning failed. I have entered every code listed for the Sony Bravia and still no luck. I even found my old Series 2 remote to try learning from that and no luck.

Anyone else having the same problem or can offer any suggestions?
kbake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #18
jhauser77

I'm having the same problem with my new slide remote. E_identity, did you figure it out?
jhauser77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:33 PM   #19
jl82

Arrow This just happened ! It's true! Update

I noticed today that after an apparent automatic update (the guide changed from red to blue) my slide remote stopped working. I have the premiere XL and the USB dongle and after 6 months without a delay ever, the remote no longer controlled any of the functions.

This is no coincidence after software updates the remote crashed?
jl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:44 PM   #20
gteague
golftango

my slide remote controls my tv, but it flashes blue, not amber, while doing it. i went back through the tivo faqs on their page and didn't see anything that specifically said the light should flash amber when controlling the tv (or rcvr) although it does say that:
If you press a button on the remote and the activity indicator light flashes amber when the USB receiver is installed, the Slide remote is operating in IR mode and you will need to enable Bluetooth manually.
another thing i noticed today regarding the slide remote, i replaced one elite with another one and the remote remained paired to the usb dongle across the transfer, so that seems to prove that whatever the dongle is plugged into doesn't matter as far as pairing goes.

/guy

Last edited by gteague : 01-25-2012 at 09:58 PM.
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:39 AM   #21
jl82

The weird thing is after i reset the box for the second time, upon starting it brought me to the main menu screen as if i were to hit the tivo button, i pressed the menu down button on the slide remote and it went down! it made the tivo noise like usual when pressing a button but then it stopped after that.

My problem began when i answered a phone call last night. I paused what i was watching, and about 5 minutes later i went to resume and none of the functions worked. I reset the box numerous times, replaced batteries, tried re-pairing by hitting the button with the blue b button until all lights werer flashing... no luck.

Ive noticed nuances with tivo, and the premiere xl, and i would figure them to chalk it up to a defective remote and im SOL, but i think there is more to it. I never had a problem until the software update yesterday

luckily i have the tivo app on my iphone, and i can use that for now....
jl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:12 AM   #22
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I have a similar problem. My Slide was working fine until tonight. I was using it normally, slid it open (just for the heck of it, I'm sorry to say, not to actually type anything), slid it back, and suddenly none of the top buttons were working. Except the volume and TV power -- the ones that still used infrared. But if I opened it, the keys on the keyboard side still worked. The blue light still flashed when I pressed one of the top buttons, but nothing else happened.

I assumed I'd dislodged or torn the cable between the two halves. After ruling out battery issues, I disassembled the remote, but could find no problem. (I couldn't fully get at both ends of the cable, though, to try reseating it.)

So I thought, if the TV commands still work, then maybe the remote will still work in infrared mode. But, I can't seem to get it out of Bluetooth mode. I pulled out the dongle, left the batteries out for a few minutes, and finally ran the global reset. But the light still glows blue. And that's all that happens.

Edit: I disassembled it again, this time all the way. I got at both ends of the cable, and still saw no problem, but reseated it. I had it working (in IR mode) for about five seconds, and then it was acting as before. But it was still in pieces at the time, so maybe there was another reason...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 01-11-2013 at 04:47 AM.
wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:38 PM   #23
bhiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Edit: I disassembled it again, this time all the way. I got at both ends of the cable, and still saw no problem, but reseated it. I had it working (in IR mode) for about five seconds, and then it was acting as before. But it was still in pieces at the time, so maybe there was another reason...
How do you get into the top part of the remote? I can get to the keyboard section, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to open the top ("normal") section...
bhiga is offline   Reply With Quote