TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-15-2013, 01:28 PM   #91
MonsterJoe
waxing cynical

Gas only goes bad when air and water vapor get to it. Most underground stores should be good for a really long time.

Remember in The Stand, when they turned the grid back on after reading a couple books? These people aren't really as far along as they should be with no budget and free resources.
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #92
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
Not sure if you mean AFTER they learn that they are turning without being bit.

That sounds good, but as we saw the new zombie is in the shower room which has access to the other rooms, not locked in his cell at night. He had the intelligence to get out, then turn.
It is AFTER, they learned that a couple of seasons ago.

He had the intelligence to get out of what? Patrick turned during the middle of the day and I doubt he knew he was going to die and turn and if he did it wasn't until it was way too late for him to do anything about it.

Last edited by scandia101 : 10-15-2013 at 01:41 PM.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #93
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
It's not that they wouldn't be able to find gasoline, but that the gasoline would all be bad by this point. I think we're about 18 months after the outbreak now, and gas doesn't last that long without some kind of additive. There's no way they found a stash of hundreds/thousands of gallons of gasoline that had Sta-Bil added to it, so basically all travel by motorized vehicle should be done at this point.
I'm not sure that I agree. With modern cars and tight seals, who really knows how long gas would be functionable? It certainly isn't something that I would be focused on.
pmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:42 PM   #94
pmyers

I really liked how they made the out gate entrance, before the gate.

I'm also glad that they recognize the potential danger of letting walkers stack up on the fences. What I would recommend is making some type of "cow chute" where they can direct them into a single point and deal with them.

Or another possiblity would be to purposefully have them follow a vehicle/horse away from the prison into some type of trap.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #95
GameGuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
I really liked how they made the out gate entrance, before the gate.

I'm also glad that they recognize the potential danger of letting walkers stack up on the fences. What I would recommend is making some type of "cow chute" where they can direct them into a single point and deal with them.

Or another possiblity would be to purposefully have them follow a vehicle/horse away from the prison into some type of trap.
You would need some heavy equipment to do it but I think it would be best for long term security. Dig a trench/moat type system, pretty deep, all around the prison with a real draw bridge you can lower for when you need to go out for supply runs.

As the zombies fall in and start to build up pour some kind of accelerate on them and burn them completely. Always leave some zombies down there though for human deterrents.
Roku 3
GameGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #96
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Seems like a couple hours with a large bulldozer and you could dig a big trench that you could then lure a few thousand walkers into.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:53 PM   #97
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

You dig the big hole/trench and then you rig up a cable/pulley system that runs along the fenceline about 8 feet in the air and then over the pit. A couple times a day, you attach some kind of loud, colorful mechanism to the cable and run it slowly along the fenceline, attracing all the walkers to follow it. Then you slowly lead them all right into the pit, where you then burn them like the Woodbury folks were doing.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:04 PM   #98
Dawghows

Quote:
It's not that they wouldn't be able to find gasoline, but that the gasoline would all be bad by this point. I think we're about 18 months after the outbreak now, and gas doesn't last that long without some kind of additive. There's no way they found a stash of hundreds/thousands of gallons of gasoline that had Sta-Bil added to it, so basically all travel by motorized vehicle should be done at this point.
I don't know how long gas lasts, but I know it's longer than 18 months. I have a really large gas can that I use to fill a much smaller can that, in turn, I use to fill my mower and snowblower. I have a relatively small property, and so I only have to fill the large can once every two summers or so. I've never had any of it "go bad."

Years ago, I also had a 1951 Plymouth that I almost never drove. I would start the engine every couple weeks or so, and run it long enough to heat up, and then turn it off. I didn't really keep tabs on it, but I suspect I probably didn't fill that tank more than once every three or four years.

I don't doubt that older gas burns less efficiently, but it will still power your vehicle.

ETA: Looks like Monster Joe and pmyers beat me to it here.
Dawghows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:17 PM   #99
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
You dig the big hole/trench and then you rig up a cable/pulley system that runs along the fenceline about 8 feet in the air and then over the pit. A couple times a day, you attach some kind of loud, colorful mechanism to the cable and run it slowly along the fenceline, attracing all the walkers to follow it. Then you slowly lead them all right into the pit, where you then burn them like the Woodbury folks were doing.
This is a great idea but it seems like a lot of work. Don't get me wrong, burning Walkers is much easier than stabbing them in the head.

What could you do to have them ignore the prison instead of come to it. I mean back at the Farm you didn't see a lot of walkers around. At least at first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #100
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

I don't have a huge problem with the "raining zombies" scene. They established that the roof was leaking, and had probably been leaking for quite a while (the new Army medic characters noticed water dripping from the ceiling). So there could have been quite a bit of dryrot up there, and it's going to collapse sooner or later. As someone upthread said, may as well be on camera. Having the zombies all concentrated in one area where the dryrot was - when before they were spread out - is certainly a plausible reason for why it collapsed right then.

The crazy women in the woods really creeped me out. At first I thought she was some weird zombie/human hybrid, but after she talked a bit more I realized that wasn't case. But I knew she was going to do something psycho sooner or later - she had that barely keeping it together look on her face.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:29 PM   #101
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc View Post
I had just re-watched the previous season finale where Carl hit his dad with (roughly), "You didn't kill (??) and he killed mom. You didn't kill the governor and he killed Merle. etc." Then I watch this ep and Rick didn't re-kill psycho woods lady or her husband.
Do we know that for sure? Rick walked away with his machete in his hand, so I figured he stabbed her in the head before walking away, since he didn't have it out beforehand.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #102
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
Do we know that for sure? Rick walked away with his machete in his hand, so I figured he stabbed her in the head before walking away, since he didn't have it out beforehand.
The head was still moving around inside the bag when he left. If he killed her, why not the head, too?

This does bring up a problem I had with the direction of this episode - there were multiple points where I felt confused, as a viewer, as to the goal of a certain scene/shots. Like we were shown something in a way that was suggestive of it being important, but I couldn't tell what it was we were being shown and/or I couldn't tell why it was important.

One example would be the Woodbury woman survivor, at the fence during the zombie clearing scene. A bunch of people there are doing fence detail. She seemed to be acting funny/distant while she was doing it. I kept thinking that something would come of that, but nothing did. I was left wondering if she was acting funny or not.

Then there was Rick at the trap, in the woods. I couldn't really tell what the deal with the trap was. From this thread, it seems as though a few other people might have been confused, as well.

Then there was the crazy woods lady back at her camp, seemingly talking to an empty crate but actually it was her husband's head in a burlap bag.

Then there was the dripping water/gas/whatever from the roof, but it was never clear what exactly that was (as evidenced by some of the discussion here).
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #103
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
...What could you do to have them ignore the prison instead of come to it. I mean back at the Farm you didn't see a lot of walkers around. At least at first.
Maybe get rid of the 185 decibel chopper that Daryll rides! lol
Old 10-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #104
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
...Then there was the dripping water/gas/whatever from the roof, but it was never clear what exactly that was (as evidenced by some of the discussion here).
??? It doesn't matter. It was a plot device to get the character to look up so that the viewers could see what was going on on the roof. What it was doesn't matter.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #105
MonsterJoe
waxing cynical

Quote:
The head was still moving around inside the bag when he left. If he killed her, why not the head, too?

This does bring up a problem I had with the direction of this episode - there were multiple points where I felt confused, as a viewer, as to the goal of a certain scene/shots. Like we were shown something in a way that was suggestive of it being important, but I couldn't tell what it was we were being shown and/or I couldn't tell why it was important.

One example would be the Woodbury woman survivor, at the fence during the zombie clearing scene. A bunch of people there are doing fence detail. She seemed to be acting funny/distant while she was doing it. I kept thinking that something would come of that, but nothing did. I was left wondering if she was acting funny or not.

Then there was Rick at the trap, in the woods. I couldn't really tell what the deal with the trap was. From this thread, it seems as though a few other people might have been confused, as well.

Then there was the crazy woods lady back at her camp, seemingly talking to an empty crate but actually it was her husband's head in a burlap bag.

Then there was the dripping water/gas/whatever from the roof, but it was never clear what exactly that was (as evidenced by some of the discussion here).
I didn't notice anything weird about WoodBonnie.

Rick was going to check the traps, so that he could collect anything they caught before the walkers got to it. Did I miss something? I may have.

The crazy lady talking to (seemingly) nothing and addressing Eddie, was her tell.
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #106
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
??? It doesn't matter. It was a plot device to get the character to look up so that the viewers could see what was going on on the roof. What it was doesn't matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterJoe View Post
I didn't notice anything weird about WoodBonnie. Rick was going to check the traps, so that he could collect anything they caught before the walkers got to it. Did I miss something? I may have. The crazy lady talking to (seemingly) nothing and addressing Eddie, was her tell.
I may not be explaining myself well. I agree that it doesn't matter what the drip was. I agree that there may not have been anything "off" about the Woodbury lady. I agree that there was probably nothing strange about the trap. I'm just saying that something about the way these scenes played out kept making me feel like there was something I should be seeing, but that I was missing.
| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #107
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
In real life gas can easily last that long and longer without issue. Without adding any additives. It might not be in perfect condition anymore but it will still easily be able to be used.

My last car at one point sat for well over a year with almost a full tank. Once I charged the battery, it started right up and ran with no problems. I've also seen old cars at my cousins in the country. Sitting around with gas from several years ago run on that very old gas as well.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #108
stellie93

Quote:
I LOVED seeing the progression of the prison and how they are becoming self sustainable. I just eat that stuff up!
Me too. I know exactly what you mean.

I seem to remember from the Stand that there was some sort of manual pump kept at gas stations to get the gas out of the big tanks in case of a power failure. I wonder if that was true then, and if so, if it still is now. Could come in handy some day.

Love all the clever ways to dispose of zombies. You guys should write your own books.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:48 PM   #109
Test

Quote:
I may not be explaining myself well. I agree that it doesn't matter what the drip was. I agree that there may not have been anything "off" about the Woodbury lady. I agree that there was probably nothing strange about the trap. I'm just saying that something about the way these scenes played out kept making me feel like there was something I should be seeing, but that I was missing.
I think I get what you're saying. It's like they aren't following the typical TV rules. If it's shown it's important and the guest star this week on a murder mystery show is usually the killer.

Another point to that is killing off a reasonably well known actor in their first appearance. You would normally see a well known and think oh they're safe...but they aren't. They did that with Michael Raymond-James in the bar and Kyle Gallner in this episode.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #110
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test View Post
I think I get what you're saying. It's like they aren't following the typical TV rules. If it's shown it's important and the guest star this week on a murder mystery show is usually the killer.

Another point to that is killing off a reasonably well known actor in their first appearance. You would normally see a well known and think oh they're safe...but they aren't. They did that with Michael Raymond-James in the bar and Kyle Gallner in this episode.
I totally agree and that is one thing I love about this show. Totally keeps you guessing.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #111
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
It was clear, to me at least, that they were showing the roof was not structurally sound. Liquid dripping = leak = dryrot = foreshadowing of roof failure causing zombies to make it rain.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #112
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
Liquid dripping = leak = dryrot ...
liquid = dry rot?
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #113
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
liquid = dry rot?
http://www.livingwithbugs.com/dry-rot.html

Dry rot is usually caused by water intrusion. The water may eventually dry out, but first the moisture lets a fungus take hold that will continue to break down the wood even when moisture is not present. A periodic cycle of water intrusion/drying out/water intrusion/drying out (like a leaky roof similar to what we saw on the show) will cause the dry rot to spread further and faster.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:36 PM   #114
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
I seem to remember from the Stand that there was some sort of manual pump kept at gas stations to get the gas out of the big tanks in case of a power failure. I wonder if that was true then, and if so, if it still is now. Could come in handy some day.
I used to work at a gas station and unfortunately we had no such pump. The fuel tanks were covered by easily removable manhole covers though and gas could easily be pumped even if you brought along something basic like a hand crank fuel pump.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #115
smbaker

Quote:

I'm not sure that I agree. With modern cars and tight seals, who really knows how long gas would be functionable? It certainly isn't something that I would be focused on.
I concur. What I've noticed about old gas is that it's not the combustion that is the problem, but what it does while stagnating in carburetors and fuel system components. Gummy varnishy crap plugs stuff up.

I have some 2 year old gas in the garage that I've dumped into the mower during "emergencies". It doesn't run great, but it runs. I make sure to shut off the gas and use up the remainder in the carb so it doesn't gum up the carb.
smbaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:14 PM   #116
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

Kind of a weak episode to me. I kinda figured that the crazy woman's husband would be a zombie.

And they might as well have issued red shirts to Zach and Patrick.
kaszeta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:11 AM   #117
aaronwt
HD Addict

You had to know someone was going to die just by the name of the episode. "30 Days Without an Accident". I had no idea who those actors were it seemed likely they would have been the one to die.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #118
tlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
I seem to remember from the Stand that there was some sort of manual pump kept at gas stations to get the gas out of the big tanks in case of a power failure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbourgeo View Post
I used to work at a gas station and unfortunately we had no such pump. The fuel tanks were covered by easily removable manhole covers though and gas could easily be pumped even if you brought along something basic like a hand crank fuel pump.
Not at most stations. But I'm pretty sure that if you search some survivalist sites, you can find out about appropriate, portable, human powered pumps. Stock up before the apocalypse, though.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:15 PM   #119
DeDondeEs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbourgeo View Post
I used to work at a gas station as well, the tanks had those metal manhole covers then a rubber plug on the actual tube down into the gas tank that didn't have a lock on it, and even if it did, you could pretty easily just yank the plug out. It always amazed me that someone didn't figure out you could just pull up after hours in the middle of the night with a pump and grab as much gas as you needed out of the tank. Perhaps people did, and we didn't know about it.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:17 PM   #120
tripmac
NASA Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDondeEs View Post
I used to work at a gas station as well, the tanks had those metal manhole covers then a rubber plug on the actual tube down into the gas tank that didn't have a lock on it, and even if it did, you could pretty easily just yank the plug out. It always amazed me that someone didn't figure out you could just pull up after hours in the middle of the night with a pump and grab as much gas as you needed out of the tank. Perhaps people did, and we didn't know about it.
Around here we had a guy with an enclosed trailer that would do that, during the day. He would pull up and fake engine trouble with the trailer parked on top of the covers. His partner in the trailer would then open the floor of the trailer and open the cover to the tank. Then they would siphon gas into 55 gallon drums.