TakoKichi

Homeland (S03/E03) 10/13/2013

No Dana storyline.

That is all.
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
snowjay
40mph couch potato

The whole Brody sequence was just long and dragged on. It could of been half as long and still sent the same message.
snowjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

This was a better episode that many of the ones lately. At least it was entertaining and they avoided cliches.

We were set up to think that Brody turns up the Middle East, not South America. Some Columbians shot him? The robber? So somehow Carrie's network is so good that they brought Brody to the guy who could save him? I guess it's supposed to be that Brody is following Carrie's underground railroad.

Carrie sees a random black SUV pull into parking and just knows it's there for her.

The season theme is gonna be how Carrie hooks up with Brody and gets him sober and out. The partner who sent the "I'm on your side" lawyer is some secret anti-Nassir benefactor.

Consider, even if there was actual live footage of it not being Brody with the car bomb, he would be killed anyway. "He was innocent of that. Owell. Sigh."

We can imagine that however they can, very Muslim mosque in the world was alerted to watch for Brody.

How about: The whole neighborhood has seen the gringo many times. The local police were alerted that Brody was there. So they kill the robber and all the cops and the Imam and his wife. Nobody along the way took the police report? The all-knowing CIA/NSA wont' know what city Brody is in?
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #4
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowjay View Post
The whole Brody sequence was just long and dragged on. It could of been half as long and still sent the same message.
I felt differently... the Brody scenes really underscored how bad (and boring) the Carrie scenes are.

This episode was better than the other two this season, and markp99's right... no Dana.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
I kinda wish they'd just shoot Brody and move on. He's outlived his storylines.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

I just read an AV Club review of this episode and got a chuckle out of this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Club
Other possible spinoff: Nicholas Brody, touring the world, teaching English to people everywhere he goes. You could call it Damian Lewis IS English As A Second Language Tutor.
Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
Old 10-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #7
aindik

These guys who live underground will shoot cops to keep Brody alive? Why? They must owe Carrie HUGE.

I didn't like anything about the drug pushing doctor. More the acting than the character. Just annoying.

The girl. Does she speak English or not? I don't think that was consistent.

Did Carrie take a time machine to the psych ward?
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #8
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
The girl. Does she speak English or not? I don't think that was consistent.
He's been there a long time, certainly months. Long enough to recover from his wounds, anyway. She's learning English from him immersively. He's not actively teaching her, but she knows enough. That's why she was able to get a couple short sentences out when he was wrapping up the body of the dude they threw down the building, but then went on in Spanish. She doesn't speak English well enough to have a complete conversation by then, but enough to get her point across when necessary.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
Old 10-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #9
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchance View Post
He's been there a long time, certainly months. Long enough to recover from his wounds, anyway. She's learning English from him immersively. He's not actively teaching her, but she knows enough. That's why she was able to get a couple short sentences out when he was wrapping up the body of the dude they threw down the building, but then went on in Spanish. She doesn't speak English well enough to have a complete conversation by then, but enough to get her point across when necessary.

Greg
I didn't get the sense that this was over a period of months. He was still recovering from the gunshot wound. I got the sense that it was a period of days or maybe a week or two.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #10
DLiquid
Progressive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
Carrie sees a random black SUV pull into parking and just knows it's there for her.
Totally in character for her. Just like earlier in the episode, she heard someone had been there asking about her and she just knew it was Saul. She didn't even bother asking if the guy had a beard. Also, she was sure the doctor was taking notes for the CIA. She believes she knows everything that is going on.

This episode was much better than the last two. For me, even the last two were better than most of what's on TV. For example, I watched the second episode of Agents of SHIELD right before this. I had thought that might be one of the standout new shows of the season, but it pales in comparison to even an average episode of Homeland.
DLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:55 PM   #11
markymark_ctown

Quote:
We were set up to think that Brody turns up the Middle East, not South America. Some Columbians shot him?
So he's in Venezuela? Were we supposed to know that (I saw it in Sepinwall's review).
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:56 PM   #12
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark_ctown View Post
So he's in Venezuela? Were we supposed to know that (I saw it in Sepinwall's review).
He asked his captors/keepers/whatever where he was, and they told him it was Caracas.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #13
Goober96

Quote:
He asked his captors/keepers/whatever where he was, and they told him it was Caracas.
Also, it was displayed on screen.
Goober96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #14
markymark_ctown

ah, thanks...didn't catch it.
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #15
aindik

I thought for sure the girl was gonna go get the $10 million as soon as he said "no" to "take me with you."
Old 10-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #16
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
I had thoughts with us seeing the Minaret and hearing the call to prayer that he was really somewhere else in the Middle East.
UVerse and OTA

Old 10-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #17
snowjay
40mph couch potato

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober96 View Post
Also, it was displayed on screen.

Plus the Tower of David is an actual building.

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/ins...s-tallest-slum
snowjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:35 PM   #18
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Damian Lewis: These guys never know that far in advance what's going on.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...inued-survival
We noticed. The Breaking Bad team - also not too far ahead - were able pull it off. Homeland isn't.
UVerse and OTA

Old 10-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #19
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
I didn't get the sense that this was over a period of months. He was still recovering from the gunshot wound. I got the sense that it was a period of days or maybe a week or two.
Realistically (speaking as somebody who's been there), it would have taken weeks to recover that much from that kind of trauma.

Of course, who knows how realistic they're being?

I actually more or less enjoyed this episode, for the first time this season. After last week I was that close to killing my SP, but now I'll keep watching for at least another week.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:19 PM   #20
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLiquid View Post
Also, she was sure the doctor was taking notes for the CIA.
That pretty much had to be the case. Who else but the CIA could get Carrie committed against her will?
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:30 PM   #21
stellie93

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowjay View Post
I could watch Brody doing anything for hours. No idea why. It's not like he's really hot, he's just good.

Quote:
I had thoughts with us seeing the Minaret and hearing the call to prayer that he was really somewhere else in the Middle East.
Yeah, I wonder if there are that many Muslims in Venezuela. Or did he just happen to be close to the only Mosque in town?

Has Brody ever been on IV drugs before? When he was captured?

I can't believe all those deadbeat people know he's worth 10 million, or whatever, and no one is turning him in.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:34 PM   #22
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
That pretty much had to be the case. Who else but the CIA could get Carrie committed against her will?
Like I said, AFAIK, it has to be a doctor or at least a spouse or member of of her family. NOT an employer. My brother the cop said even they can't take them in.
UVerse and OTA

Old 10-14-2013, 05:37 PM   #23
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

It hit me what the deal with Dana is.

The writers had to figure that they needed to show the impact on the family - and fill in some screen time during the season. So either it's Jess, Dana, or the son. Which ones can act? Maybe not the boy. So it's Dana again.
UVerse and OTA

Old 10-14-2013, 05:39 PM   #24
john4200

Quote:
Like I said, AFAIK, it has to be a doctor or at least a spouse or member of of her family. NOT an employer. My brother the cop said even they can't take them in.
I didn't say it was done legally. And besides, I don't see how a member of her family could do it, either -- there has to be a good reason, usually that the person is a threat to harm themselves or others.

One way I can see it happening is if the CIA used some unlawful persuasion to make it happen. Or possibly Carrie agreed to something (in writing) when she joined the CIA that makes it lawful for them to commit her against her will, for example, if she is about to reveal state secrets? (even so, it would be unfair since she was not likely to reveal anything that wasn't already out in the papers, she was just going to correct some lies the CIA had told or leaked)

Carrie really needs a good lawyer. Or at least, she should ask for a public defender. I think she has that right if they are holding her against her will for as long as they have. Perhaps she assumes the CIA would use their influence to get the court-appointed lawyer on the CIA's side. Which is why she really needs a good lawyer of her own.

Last edited by john4200 : 10-14-2013 at 05:58 PM.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #25
Dawghows

I agree that this was a better episode, but only insofar as Dana wasn't in it. Otherwise I felt like they had completely run out of ideas. The first twenty minutes or so, seeing Brody's recovery, were actually pretty nicely done, I thought. But then we just got repeated scenes of a) Brody telling everyone he needs to leave the building he's in and b) Carrie telling everyone she needs to leave the building she's in.

I'm giving them one more episode to show me signs of improvement, and if not, I think I'm out. I'm disappointed to feel this way, but after the drastic decrease in quality from the first season to last season, I can't really say I'm surprised.
Dawghows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:03 AM   #26
NatasNJ
Bone marrow lover!

I fear that unless something changes QUICKLY Season 2 final episode was the peak and we are going to be disappointed going forward.
NatasNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #27
DeDondeEs

I agree with many of the sentiments expressed so far. I miss the whole CIA doing intel and being hot on the trail of catching someone or busting up an operation. So far to me this season has just been an edgier version of General Hospital. I hope things start tying together and picking up or I am going to lose interest. Heck while watching the episode last night, I started reading a magazine, I hardly ever do that.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:32 AM   #28
caslu

After seasons 1 and 2 failed to stick their landings, it seems season 3 can't even get off the ground... I'm out.
caslu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #29
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Watch...speculation...

Spoiler:
The next plot point will be with the "I'm on your side" lawyer who will be who gets Carrie sprung. Is he real? Who is his secret law firm partner? Why they're helping will have some reasonable explanation, but there will be a reveal something like that he's actually CIA or a CIA contractor and works for Dar Adal. They want Carrie to make contact with Brody so that can snatch or kill him.

THAT is why they threw Carrie under the bus. They know that she helped Brody disappear.

It's critical for the CIA that they paint Brody as the sole bad guy to close up loose ends and not reveal that they turned Brody and worked with him after the vest plot.

UVerse and OTA

Old 10-15-2013, 12:16 PM   #30
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
I fear that unless something changes QUICKLY Season 2 final episode was the peak and we are going to be disappointed going forward.
Oh, please tell me you mean Season 1! Not the vastly inferior Season 2! (Not to be confused with the even more vastly inferior, at least so far, Season 3...)