TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
BradJW

The Walking Dead - S04E01 - 10/13/13

Glad it's back, but this show is really difficult to watch live.
The freaking commercials during this show are killing me. I can barely tolerate the Walking Dead. The commercials are way scarier. Make them stop!!!
BradJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
BradJW

Ok, this is one of these rare shows where it's still good even if nothing happens. Few shows can say that.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:02 PM   #3
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradJW View Post
Ok, this is one of these rare shows where it's still good even if nothing happens. Few shows can say that.
I wouldn't exactly label the whole supermarket battle as nothing happening.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:05 PM   #4
danterner
Not it!

1. Did we see Harry Potter boy get bitten or injured at some point?

2. The "naming the walkers at the gate" scene has me worried that child actors may have a more prominent role this season. I hope not - unless they are good actors. Those kids were not.

3. So now there are two The Wire alumni on board. Nice! This is the first thing I think I've seen D'Angelo in, since.

4. The whole time Rick was with the woman, I wasn't sure whether she was really a walker and that he was hallucinating a conversation with her. I'm not sure if that uncertainty was intended, though.

5. I liked the raining walkers. That was nice.

6. Not sure what was up with violet the dead pig.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:35 PM   #5
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
1. Did we see Harry Potter boy get bitten or injured at some point?

6. Not sure what was up with violet the dead pig.
Related maybe?
Swine Flu?
Old 10-13-2013, 10:39 PM   #6
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
Related maybe?
Swine Flu?
Probably related to the dead boar in the woods as well (or was it a deer? I couldn't tell).
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:41 PM   #7
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

There was also the dying pig/boar in the woods. Pigs are pretty close to humans genetically, almost at organ transplant levels...perhaps the Zombie Virus is jumping species?
Old 10-13-2013, 10:48 PM   #8
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
There was also the dying pig/boar in the woods. Pigs are pretty close to humans genetically, almost at organ transplant levels...perhaps the Zombie Virus is jumping species?
But the Zombie virus does not kill, so if you are correct, what killed the pig and the boar?

Maybe it was Daryl's saliva that killed the glasses boy.

But seriously, more likely it was that deer he mentioned Daryl bringing back. If so, I guess more people are likely to get sick.

Last edited by john4200 : 10-14-2013 at 07:24 AM.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:08 PM   #9
n548gxg

I had to suspend belief when the zombies were falling through the roof. The zombies had been walking on the roof for months or years. Then multiple holes in the roof open up just when they are in the store. Unbelievable.
n548gxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:27 PM   #10
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
The first few minutes with the woman in the woods I had that thought that she was a new hybrid zombie - some sort of dead that could still function like a human but was slowly turning zombie. Her face and eyes made me feel like that.

There must be something going on with the kid getting sick, violet the pig getting sick and the dead boar in the woods. New strain of the virus I guess.

I liked Carol using story time to teach the kids about the knives. I wonder why it must be kept a secret.

The kids at the fence in the scene with Carl didn't seem to be giving him much respect for his seniority there.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:50 PM   #11
GameGuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
The first few minutes with the woman in the woods I had that thought that she was a new hybrid zombie - some sort of dead that could still function like a human but was slowly turning zombie. Her face and eyes made me feel like that. There must be something going on with the kid getting sick, violet the pig getting sick and the dead boar in the woods. New strain of the virus I guess. I liked Carol using story time to teach the kids about the knives. I wonder why it must be kept a secret. The kids at the fence in the scene with Carl didn't seem to be giving him much respect for his seniority there.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing with the woman in the woods at one point then also thought she might be bringing him back to her people who are now cannibals with her talk about not being able to come back from some things.

I think the thing with Carol and the kids is you heard Rick talk about doing normal kid things like reading and hanging with the other kids, I don't think he wants them learning to fight right now.

Swine flu seems a good guess on the pigs but you would think Rick would be sick first since he has the most contact with the pigs.
8GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD
Seagate 2TB HD
Pioneer Blu-ray Burner BDR-209DBK
Windows 8.1 Pro
GameGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:07 AM   #12
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
Maybe it was Darryl's saliva that killed the glasses boy.
They did make a big deal of showing Darryl licking his fingers.

Solid start to the season. I could have done with less blood and guts in the supermarket, but I guess that's the only reason some people tune in.

- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:05 AM   #13
JETarpon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameGuru View Post
Yeah I was thinking the same thing with the woman in the woods at one point then also thought she might be bringing him back to her people who are now cannibals with her talk about not being able to come back from some things.
How would cannibalism even work, now? You'd be eating walkers.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:05 AM   #14
Beryl

I thought about the woefully lack of sanitation and the potential for diseases when Rich splashed his face with the standing water. The figure licking thing gave me pause but not as much.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:51 AM   #15
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida View Post
They did make a big deal of showing Darryl licking his fingers.
Just to be clear, the smiley meant I was joking. If that really turns out to be the case, it would be ridiculous, even by the standards of this show.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:21 AM   #16
danterner
Not it!

The show also seemed to draw attention to the one fence zombie with bloody eyes - he was shown several times. I didn't think much of it while watching, but looking back I bet that wasn't just an arbitrary thing. I bet we're supposed to conclude that he died of the same thing that we saw killed the Harry Potter kid - some sort of viral hemorrhagic fever.

Man, if they have to deal with an Ebola outbreak on top of the zombie apocalypse, that would suck for them pretty hard.

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
Old 10-14-2013, 04:54 AM   #17
trnsfrguy
Advanced !

Quote:
Originally Posted by n548gxg View Post
I had to suspend belief when the zombies were falling through the roof. The zombies had been walking on the roof for months or years. Then multiple holes in the roof open up just when they are in the store. Unbelievable.
The roof was weakened by the huge helicopter that crashed upon it. So, it happened to cave in at the right time.
MK code 1762-3068-7645/ Carlos

trnsfrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:09 AM   #18
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by n548gxg View Post
I had to suspend belief when the zombies were falling through the roof.
Just as long as you did not have to suspend your disbelief. If you had to do that, then there would be real trouble. You might believe anything! (would you believe flammable and inflammable mean the same thing?)
Old 10-14-2013, 05:16 AM   #19
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trnsfrguy View Post
The roof was weakened by the huge helicopter that crashed upon it. So, it happened to cave in at the right time.
They were pretty dispersed, initially. Once they started hearing the noise from below, they all moved onto the rotted area en masse (which would explain the roof caving in overall, but not them falling through individual holes. Yeah, I've got nothing). It was a cool scene, though.

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
Old 10-14-2013, 06:34 AM   #20
T-Wolves
Information Junkie

Quote:
...There must be something going on with the kid getting sick, violet the pig getting sick and the dead boar in the woods. New strain of the virus I guess. ...
The kid did make a point of thanking Daryl for the deer he killed the previous day. Perhaps the deer meat was infected somehow? Maybe something in the food chain nearby the prison?
T-Wolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:05 AM   #21
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
I thought about the woefully lack of sanitation and the potential for diseases when Rich splashed his face with the standing water. The figure licking thing gave me pause but not as much.
And then later they show how they prison actually has running water (the shower). I wonder if the standing water had really been standing for very long.

Okay so the very FIRST thing that ran thru my head when looking at poor sick Violet was isn't it GREAT they have a farm veterinarian there!!!! The old guy. The guy that didn't know much about humans but saved Carl (and who else). I was surprised that he didn't say something about the pig being sick and it could be this or that or the other thing.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:29 AM   #22
john4200

Quote:
And then later they show how they prison actually has running water (the shower).
Huh? Does a barrel full of water connected by a pump and hose to a shower head count as running water?
Old 10-14-2013, 08:13 AM   #23
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Huh? Does a barrel full of water connected by a pump and hose to a shower head count as running water?
Better than it just sitting outside collecting germs and mold and such. I figured the water was coming from rain barrels outside and into the barrels inside. Okay maybe we didn't see that setup, but it would make sense.

And WHY keep teaching the kids a secret? If they have a "council" that can tell Rick to carry a gun, why can't the "council" tell him they want to teach the children basic survival that they will need as they grow up.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:17 AM   #24
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Wolves View Post
The kid did make a point of thanking Daryl for the deer he killed the previous day. Perhaps the deer meat was infected somehow? Maybe something in the food chain nearby the prison?
And Daryl licked his hands, shook the sick kids hand and then went on. Maybe Daryl is going to get sick next.

It was slightly amusing to watch the crew out there punching holes in the walkers heads. Like slaughtering lambs - except not edible. Maybe if they had longer poles they could get a couple in one stick.

They did a good job of showing us what had become of all the characters over the year and I was impressed with the garden and farm that they were able to build.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #25
GameGuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETarpon View Post
How would cannibalism even work, now? You'd be eating walkers.
Well Rick isn't a walker yet as he is still living so if she was bringing him back to her group so they could eat him that would make them cannibals and that is what I was thinking might have been happening.
8GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3
Seagate 2TB HD
Windows 8.1 Pro
Old 10-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #26
GameGuru

Quote:
The show also seemed to draw attention to the one fence zombie with bloody eyes - he was shown several times. I didn't think much of it while watching, but looking back I bet that wasn't just an arbitrary thing. I bet we're supposed to conclude that he died of the same thing that we saw killed the Harry Potter kid - some sort of viral hemorrhagic fever.

Man, if they have to deal with an Ebola outbreak on top of the zombie apocalypse, that would suck for them pretty hard.
Very good observation and I totally missed that but looking back it does look like a connection. I can't wait for next week!
8GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3
Seagate 2TB HD
Windows 8.1 Pro
Old 10-14-2013, 08:23 AM   #27
john4200

Quote:
I figured the water was coming from rain barrels outside and into the barrels inside. Okay maybe we didn't see that setup, but it would make sense.
I don't know where they are getting their water, unless there is a well nearby that they use to haul water to the barrels. Obviously it is not just rainwater that happens to fall into the barrels -- most places only get 30 - 50 inches of rainfall per year. I suppose if the roof has gutters, they could collect all of the rain that hits the roof into barrels.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:23 AM   #28
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:

They also showed the woman that was killing them with blood over her neck, apron and gloves and then she hugged the guy that didn't want to do that work - I was waiting to see a smear on his clean white shirt (well not white exactly but light colored). Another way it could spread.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:38 AM   #29
BradJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
I wouldn't exactly label the whole supermarket battle as nothing happening.
stuff happened, but the story didn't really move along very much. That's what I meant by that.

I was thinking this last night - they really need a buddy system. Rick going off on his own was stupid. Harry Potter going off on his own wasn't good either.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #30
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I don't know where they are getting their water, unless there is a well nearby that they use to haul water to the barrels. Obviously it is not just rainwater that happens to fall into the barrels -- most places only get 30 - 50 inches of rainfall per year. I suppose if the roof has gutters, they could collect all of the rain that hits the roof into barrels.
If it's just from a barrel or two they can't be showering all that much. Hauling water in there every couple days would be a pain in the butt. Wonder if they ran into a water truck or got water from the water heaters in houses or the prison.