TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-13-2013, 07:08 AM   #1
az1097

Roamio with basic cable channels

I'm looking to buy a new Roamio and would like to make sure I'd be able to get my basic cable channels from Time Warner Cable when directly connecting the Tivo to the cable outlet WITHOUT tunning adapter or cable card. Thanks.
az1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:21 AM   #2
ncbill

The Roamio models tune only digital, not analog cable.

You'd need a Premiere or Series 3 unit for analog cable.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #3
TimA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
The Roamio models tune only digital, not analog cable.

You'd need a Premiere or Series 3 unit for analog cable.
Depends if you provider provides basic cable in analog or digital. Comcast in my area went digital only over a year ago.

For basic digital cable you need to determine if your basic channels are in ClearQAM (no CableCard) or Encrypted (require CableCard). Unfortunately the trend with many providers, including Comcast, is to phase out ClearQAM channels.
TimA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:35 AM   #4
tatergator1

I'm fairly confident all TWC markets simulcast analog and digital for the basic channels. The problem is you need the CableCard to map the digital simulcast to the regular analog channel number and to decrypt everything other than broadcast locals. TWC provides local broadcast signals via Clear QAM, so you could do a channel scan for those with a Roamio, but it's unlikely they would properly map to the Tivo guide, so you'd be stuck with a dumb digital recorder.

As mentioned, you want a Premiere.
tatergator1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:46 PM   #5
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by az1097 View Post
I'm looking to buy a new Roamio and would like to make sure I'd be able to get my basic cable channels from Time Warner Cable when directly connecting the Tivo to the cable outlet WITHOUT tunning adapter or cable card. Thanks.
Can you get them? possibly, will they have guide data without a CableCARD? nope, so is that worth it for you? it wouldn't be for me, I'd spend the $3 a month for the card.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #6
HarperVision

Or I've heard you can get the proper cablecard from eBay and even if not authorized and setup by your cable co, it will at least remap the channels to their proper places.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:46 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

You need a CableCARD, you probably don't need a tuning adapter though. The TA is only needed to watch the channels which are SDV, which are typically the lesser watched expanded basic channels.

As HarperVision mentioned if you buy a CableCARD on eBay it will work as well. It wont be able to decrypt anything, but as long as the channels you want to watch are unencrypted it will be able to map them properly so TiVo can record from them.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote