TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
BradJW

Amazing Race - 10/13/13

Well that really sucked. They never made it out of the airport.

I was really hoping for a non-elimination leg.
BradJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

I agree. That sucked. I figured it would be a non-elimination with team spread out as much as they were.

It is episodes like this that make me sometimes want to to stop watching. The reason they lost had nothing to do with any mistakes they made. It was simply bad luck and beyond their control.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #3
MarkofT

Ya, that wasn't good. The immediately prior mat visit was hilarious.
MarkofT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:47 PM   #4
laria
Librocubicularist

They were my favs so far.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:56 PM   #5
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
I agree. That sucked. I figured it would be a non-elimination with team spread out as much as they were.

It is episodes like this that make me sometimes want to to stop watching. The reason they lost had nothing to do with any mistakes they made. It was simply bad luck and beyond their control.
Yes and no. They didn't have to take the flight and knew it was a risk. A general rule of thumb I would have if I were racing is if you are going to have more than 1 layover (and sometimes even if you only have one) try to make sure that at least one other team is with you. I don't think that I would have taken that itinerary.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:57 PM   #6
WO312

Quote:

IIRC, they did make a mistake. They missed the early flight that they should have had if the agent hadn't made a mistake. They were on the later flight with everyone else. Then they decided to change to the 3 legs to get in 2 hours earlier. Didn't work out, but they took the chance. Their mistake.
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:03 AM   #7
loubob57
Running Fool

TC CLUB MEMBER
As soon as I saw Phil in the airport I knew it wasn't a non-elimination leg. I'm sure the NFL guys knew it right away too. This sucks for them just slightly less than losing because of a bad cab driver.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:08 AM   #8
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
As soon as I saw Phil in the airport I knew it wasn't a non-elimination leg. I'm sure the NFL guys knew it right away too. This sucks for them just slightly less than losing because of a bad cab driver.
And it seemed a LOT later than when the other teams finished (it was dark when they were at the airport outside. If this had been a non-elimination, then they would have let them finish. Too bad, as they were my favorites. Right now it's anyone but the Afghanimals or Pinkie and her Brain. Those teams annoy me.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:42 AM   #9
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

There was obviously quite a gap between Pinky arriving and the NFL guys getting to the airport. Either that or they were kept there until Phil arrived.

The producers had to be sure that Phil could get to the airport before they arrived.

Add me to the camp that was hoping for a non-elimination leg. Although they chose their own route, which is unusual as the teams usually have only one or two choices of itinerary, it was flight delays that caused them to miss connections (four hours for one and two for another).
Old 10-14-2013, 07:45 AM   #10
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
There was obviously quite a gap between Pinky arriving and the NFL guys getting to the airport. Either that or they were kept there until Phil arrived.

The producers had to be sure that Phil could get to the airport before they arrived.

Add me to the camp that was hoping for a non-elimination leg. Although they chose their own route, which is unusual as the teams usually have only one or two choices of itinerary, it was flight delays that caused them to miss connections (four hours for one and two for another).
I kind of liked that they let the teams handle booking flights as there was a lot of strategy involved this time around as it was clear there weren't a lot "normal" options and teams would have to be creative. The baseball wives getting on "the list" first was great and I loved how they didn't reveal how they did it to the other teams, especially Pinky, who seems to feel she deserves an explanation for EVERYTHING that goes on in the Race.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:52 AM   #11
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Oh yes, that reminds me.

Pinky: They SAID they got on the list first. Which is what I would have done, so I'm pissed they managed to screw me before I got to screw them!

(paraphrasing, obviously!).
Old 10-14-2013, 08:36 AM   #12
Inundated
Face For Radio

Quote:
This proves, again, that the non-elimination legs are not moved around to accommodate keeping popular teams on the show.

It still stinks for them, tho (and they were my favorite team so far), but they did say that they were "rolling the dice" on the flight choices.

Nice, aggressive work by Chester and Ephraim, but they were just as likely to get burned. As soon as I learned they were going to make two different connections, I knew they'd get hit by delays.
Inundated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:25 AM   #13
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

i felt bad for them, but i also said to myself when the chose 2 layovers that it would not work out well for them - that is a classic bad move and roulette spin, claiming almost as many victims as not reading the clue.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:29 AM   #14
Squeak
An Inert Gas

Why do they keep calling the Baseball wife's "Team Bunnies"?
Old 10-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #15
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
I wondered if they had something to do with Playboy but I don't see anything about that. In their CBS bio, one of them says in the what do you hope to accomplish section: "Growing in my friendship with my sweet bunny, Nicky..."
Old 10-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #16
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
...I loved how they didn't reveal how they did it to the other teams, especially Pinky, who seems to feel she deserves an explanation for EVERYTHING that goes on in the Race.
Of course she does, she has the Express Pass!

The way she's thrown that out a couple times, as if people are going to just bow to her power, is ridiculous. You want to make a deal? Agree to give it up. Set up the terms, you give this, I give that. "I have the Express Pass" isn't good enough. The other team should have said, "Yeah, so use it!"

Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man
hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #17
eddyj

My recording got all screwed up, so I am not sure what the heck happened. Did the football guys miss two planes?

And how did the wives get on the waiting list first?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #18
TriBruin

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
My recording got all screwed up, so I am not sure what the heck happened. Did the football guys miss two planes?

The football guys had multiple delays causing them to miss connections.

The wives went to a Airline lounge that was open and added their name to the waiting list (versus waiting for the gate to open.)

Although I feel bad for the Football guys, I like that this happened. I don't like the "take one of two flights" with a certain number of teams on each flight. Yes it make for an exciting finish. But I would rather have teams find their own flights and transportation and be able to take chances that may or may not pay off.

Also, I am surprised no one has commented the amount of cleavage on the baseball wives was showing when she was bending over. (Which happened a lot at the puzzle challenge.)
TriBruin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:01 AM   #19
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
It was confusing even if you were watching it. I *think* that they missed the first connection, then the replacement connection had mechanical problems while they were already on the plane, then when they finally got to the second connection it was delayed. There may have been an extra new connection in the middle? I'm not entirely sure.

Quote:
They went into some sort of office or airline club room and asked to be put on it. Everyone else was just waiting around near the gates thinking they could only do it there.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:20 AM   #20
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
And it seemed a LOT later than when the other teams finished (it was dark when they were at the airport outside. If this had been a non-elimination, then they would have let them finish. Too bad, as they were my favorites. Right now it's anyone but the Afghanimals or Pinkie and her Brain. Those teams annoy me.
We saw the delay announcement when they were in London showing that their flight wouldn't be leaving until 9:15 pm. So they probably didn't get in to Lisbon until midnight or later.

By the way, it's Pinkie and No Brain."

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
It was confusing even if you were watching it. I *think* that they missed the first connection, then the replacement connection had mechanical problems while they were already on the plane, then when they finally got to the second connection it was delayed. There may have been an extra new connection in the middle? I'm not entirely sure.
They were delayed leaving Santiago, so that by the time they got to Buenos Aires, they had missed their connection. Then they found another flight that they thought might work, and then after they had already boarded, they found out it was delayed as well. Then finally, they got to London, and then their flight to Lisbon was delayed and didn't leave until nighttime, when all the teams had already checked in during the day.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #21
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post
This proves, again, that the non-elimination legs are not moved around to accommodate keeping popular teams on the show.

It still stinks for them, tho (and they were my favorite team so far), but they did say that they were "rolling the dice" on the flight choices.

Nice, aggressive work by Chester and Ephraim, but they were just as likely to get burned. As soon as I learned they were going to make two different connections, I knew they'd get hit by delays.
There's no way they could know that the NFL players would be popular, well unless they edited it that way. There still might be circumstances where they could do that. In this case, it wasn't practical for them to do a non-elimination leg. They were just too far behind.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #22
FrodoB

Quote:
There still might be circumstances where they could do that. In this case, it wasn't practical for them to do a non-elimination leg. They were just too far behind.
I wondered that, too. The race quite often does non-elimination on the legs involving complicated multi-continent flight. (I called "non-elimination" to my wife as soon as it was obvious how many options there were out of Santiago. Obviously I ended up being wrong, and I'm rarely wrong on these calls. ) If the race organizers ever *do* reschedule these things on the fly despite insistence to the contrary, this seems to have been a prime occasion for them would have done so, because there's a solid chance that the NFL guys might not even have left Lisbon until a full day later or more, potentially screwing up Phil's flight scheduling. I could totally see this as having been a planned non-elimination but the race basically whipping out the mercy rule you get in Little League baseball.
FrodoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:45 AM   #23
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I'm not saying they DO manipulate non-eliminations based on favored circumstances for what they consider a must watch team, I'm just saying this in no way proves they don't. I just don't think the NFLers could have completed the leg considering that they arrived late at night and far behind the other teams. I'm not sure they, logistically, could have kept open each of the venues for them to do the tasks.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #24
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
I'm not saying they DO manipulate non-eliminations based on favored circumstances for what they consider a must watch team, I'm just saying this in no way proves they don't. I just don't think the NFLers could have completed the leg considering that they arrived late at night and far behind the other teams. I'm not sure they, logistically, could have kept open each of the venues for them to do the tasks.
I'm sure the Race producers could have arranged it, had they wanted to. But that would have simply meant that one team was 12 -17 hours behind the others, and that just makes things logistically impossible. They could have bunched them all back up with an "Hours of Operation" thing, but even then, that would have had to be something like the first teams arriving at 6 pm when the hours are 8 am - 5 pm, so most of the teams would have to spend the entire night waiting, while Chester and Ephraim wouldn't even leave the pit stop until 10 the next morning. Even with something like that, they'd still be too far behind.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #25
FrodoB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
They were delayed leaving Santiago, so that by the time they got to Buenos Aires, they had missed their connection. Then they found another flight that they thought might work, and then after they had already boarded, they found out it was delayed as well. Then finally, they got to London, and then their flight to Lisbon was delayed and didn't leave until nighttime, when all the teams had already checked in during the day.
I thought what happened was (and I don't have the episode available at work to double-check ):
1) They ended up leaving Santiago on time or close to it but their flight in Buenos Aires was delayed such that they would have missed the connection in Madrid.
2) They then tried to book spots on the "arrives at noon" itinerary that three teams (at that point, until standby list drama ensued) had booked, but their flight from Buenos Aires to São Paolo to meet up with that itinerary suffered mechanical failure and prevented them reaching the connection in time.
3) They then found a flight from São Paolo via London, and then had the ignominy of their flight in Heathrow *also* being delayed.

I could be totally wrong on this, but both my wife and I had the impression I just described, because we talked at the end of the episode that they'd have been better to take the delay in Buenos Aires and get to Madrid even if it put the original connection in jeopardy. We know two other teams ended up on a flight from Madrid that would have been minimally three hours later than their planned flight (given 7 AM vs 10 AM arrival time), and they were only talking that the delay put their connection in trouble rather than making it impossible. In any case, I'm sure flights from Madrid to Lisbon are far more common than even from London, and so they would have had more flexibility there.

If you're right that they missed the flight from Buenos Aires to Madrid because of a delay in Santiago, then that obviously totally changes things and they were basically hosed from the get-go on the alternate itinerary. (To add to the travel agent's error, of course.) I'm not sure I can remember a leg in the past where a team should have been first (or at least very close to it, barring how things went down in Lisbon) and instead ended up eliminated through very little fault of their own. I can certainly remember teams that ended up eliminated by bad cabs/flights, but generally not if they would have been in prime position to win the leg.

Ah, Amazing Race.... Where a strategy of finishing third-to-last in every leg nets you a million dollars.
FrodoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #26
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoB View Post

Ah, Amazing Race.... Where a strategy of finishing third-to-last in every leg nets you a million dollars.
I always said there are two rules for all but the last leg of the race, finish first or DON'T finish last. It's rare that teams finishing later in the leg are at any type of real disadvantage in the next leg. Of course there's only one rule in the last leg, to win it.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #27
tigercat74
Lets go Bengals!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
Not sure but I once heard women that hangout outside the locker room were called bunnies. The players would pick them up for a one night stand so I took it as an insult but that is just my two cents and I am probably wrong.

Here is a link to a Urban Dictionary for Baseball Bunny

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...seball%20Bunny

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited by tigercat74 : 10-14-2013 at 03:39 PM.
tigercat74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #28
nmiller855

I thought they were calling them Ice "bunnies" because they take care of the ice at hockey games.
nmiller855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:04 PM   #29
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
My question for anyone talking about manipulation of non-elim legs: Which brand of time machine do they use to go forward, see which teams are popular, then go back and rewrite the show based on who is popular? This isn't a "live" show like Big Brother, where they could do shenanigans like that. Only if a team is shown in a particularly holy or demonic light (or is consistently holy or demonic, like Colton ) do the producers know what the public will think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger
Nah, no need to rush. The producers meet the team off-camera when they arrive at Lisbon and give them the bad news. They all sit in an airline lounge until Phil gets to the airport, where the producers send the team down to Phil, who "gives them the bad news" on-camera. Refilming segments (with no change to the actual outcome) happens all the time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Come join us October 5-12, 2014!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:06 PM   #30
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmiller855 View Post
I thought they were calling them Ice "bunnies" because they take care of the ice at hockey games.
May be confusing two teams, the hockey chicks and the baseball chicks.

(Or bunnies)

Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man
hefe is offline   Reply With Quote