TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-29-2013, 01:52 AM   #1
tomhayes

Cheapest way to transfer service to a new box

My Tivo Series 3 HD box is in bad shape - I bought it 2nd hand 3 years ago and during shipping it was damaged but functional, and now the 1TB hard drive I put in it is failing.

So I bought a Tivo Premiere XL4 2Tb off of Craigslist for $130 dollars.

I currently pay $12.95 for my service, but I called Tivo today and they want $14.95 a month for the Premiere.

Is there a strategy to get them to lower their price that has worked for others here? Any special promos, code words, coupon codes?
tomhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:15 AM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

Nope. They raised the monthly fee for Premiere and later models and unless you get really lucky with CSR roulette it's going to cost more.

One thing they might do is offer you $99 lifetime on the S3. If you take that you can probably sell it, even broken, for $150+ and recoup the fee plus some.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:03 AM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Nope. They raised the monthly fee for Premiere and later models and unless you get really lucky with CSR roulette it's going to cost more.

One thing they might do is offer you $99 lifetime on the S3. If you take that you can probably sell it, even broken, for $150+ and recoup the fee plus some.
If he does that, sells it, won't his per month on the S4 no longer be eligible for MSD and go up to $19.95?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
If he does that, sells it, won't his per month on the S4 no longer be eligible for MSD and go up to $19.95?
Full price is $14.95/mo now. If someone is still paying $19.95 and is past their 1 or 2 yr commitment period they should call and see if they can get it lowered.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
poppagene

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhayes View Post
My Tivo Series 3 HD box is in bad shape - I bought it 2nd hand 3 years ago and during shipping it was damaged but functional, and now the 1TB hard drive I put in it is failing.

So I bought a Tivo Premiere XL4 2Tb off of Craigslist for $130 dollars.

I currently pay $12.95 for my service, but I called Tivo today and they want $14.95 a month for the Premiere.

Is there a strategy to get them to lower their price that has worked for others here? Any special promos, code words, coupon codes?
First open the hood on the tivo hd. check the power supply for bulging capacitors. If you have a multimeter, check the voltages on the red (5v) yellow (12v) and orange (3v) with the hard drive plugged in. Replace any bulging caps. see http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb....php?p=9587343

Take the hard drive out and run the manufacturers diagnostics on it. If the drive is failing replace it cheaply.

Repairing the power supply or replacing the hard driver is your cheapest option.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #6
tomhayes

Update: I got the new (well, used) Tivo Premiere upgraded to Lifetime for $199

I had bought the Tivo from a guy on Criagslist, let's call him Bill. He had had the Tivo for 14 months, but had not used it in 10 since he moved to an area where his cable company didn't support Tivo, but he was still paying the monthly bill for - and it was paid until November 23rd of this year. (So figure it was passed the one year service commitment.)

Here's what I did:
I called Tivo and said I had bought the Tivo from my acquaintance Bill and he called customer service to cancel the service you had offered to convert it to Lifetime for $199. (This is actually true.)

They wanted details like his account number, his last name, etc - but I said I just new him as Bill, but I'm sure the Tivo number would show them the offer.

I got transferred at least once and put on hold a few times, but they offered it like this:

They did the Lifetime conversion on his existing account, but used my Credit Card number.
They said the conversion would take place on November 23rd.
They gave me a reference number and on November 23rd I am to call back, read them the reference number, and have the Tivo added to my account.

So on November 23rd I'll add the Tivo to my existing account, transfer my Season passes, and then examine the issues around my series 3.

I guess if they offer Lifetime for $99 on it I could do it, then sell my failing Tivo for more than $99.
tomhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:07 PM   #7
mattack

Quote:
but had not used it in 10 since he moved to an area where his cable company didn't support Tivo
Umm, unless it's some VERY small cable company, they HAVE to provide cable cards, by law... as far as I understand, and someone correct me...
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:30 PM   #8
nycityuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Umm, unless it's some VERY small cable company, they HAVE to provide cable cards, by law... as far as I understand, and someone correct me...
AT&T U-verse isn't compatible with TiVo. So maybe that was the guy's "cable" company.
nycityuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:39 PM   #9
mattack

Valid point. Then he has to clarify!
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #10
vurbano

Quote:
Update: I got the new (well, used) Tivo Premiere upgraded to Lifetime for $199

I had bought the Tivo from a guy on Criagslist, let's call him Bill. He had had the Tivo for 14 months, but had not used it in 10 since he moved to an area where his cable company didn't support Tivo, but he was still paying the monthly bill for - and it was paid until November 23rd of this year. (So figure it was passed the one year service commitment.)

Here's what I did:
I called Tivo and said I had bought the Tivo from my acquaintance Bill and he called customer service to cancel the service you had offered to convert it to Lifetime for $199. (This is actually true.)

They wanted details like his account number, his last name, etc - but I said I just new him as Bill, but I'm sure the Tivo number would show them the offer.

I got transferred at least once and put on hold a few times, but they offered it like this:

They did the Lifetime conversion on his existing account, but used my Credit Card number.
They said the conversion would take place on November 23rd.
They gave me a reference number and on November 23rd I am to call back, read them the reference number, and have the Tivo added to my account.

So on November 23rd I'll add the Tivo to my existing account, transfer my Season passes, and then examine the issues around my series 3.

I guess if they offer Lifetime for $99 on it I could do it, then sell my failing Tivo for more than $99.
as long as you tell prospective buyers that it is failing. Of course no one will buy it then.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post
as long as you tell prospective buyers that it is failing. Of course no one will buy it then.
If I thought the problem was the power supply and/or the hard drive, and not the motherboard, then lifetime would make it attractive at a low enough price.

If it was an original S3 (TCD648250(B)), then the ability to move the crypto chip (and the lifetime sub with it) to another motherboard if necessary would definitely make it attractive.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote