TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
obeythelaw2004

how does the season pass work?

I have setup season passes for a number of shows. I'm kinda new to Tivo although I used a Directivo years ago. Anyway, I have my season passes to record just "NEW" programs. However, in the To Do lists, it lists a number of shows that are days old and will record them. Next to the show is the word "New" They are not new airings. They are repeats. Is this a Tivo problem? I have run guided set up again. Same issue. On the other hand, is it recording all episodes from the current season? Trying to figure out how it works.
obeythelaw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
dylanemcgregor

It has been a few years since I've had a TV service to use my TiVo with, so this information might be out of date, but it used to be somewhat common for the broadcasters to not include information to the guide service on whether an episode was new or not, and so to be safe, everything without this specific information was assumed to be a new episode. This was particularly common with The Daily Show, and a few others, but otherwise wasn't too prevalent. Are you only seeing this for a couple of shows that you have set Season Passes for, or for most/all of them?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dylanemcgregor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

This happens any time you get a new TiVo. TiVo uses a 28 day history to determine if something is new. If the original air date of the program is within the last 28 days, and your TiVo has not recorded that same episode in the last 28 days then it will record it as new. Once you get a full 28 day history established this problem will go away on it's own.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
mattack

You have to be more detailed about "they are not new airings".

Do they have "original air date" info? i.e. enter the item in the To Do list, and then hit info.

Or if they show up with 'generic' info (making this up: Seinfeld: A guy and his friends in New York City), then the Tivo WILL record them, since it has no idea that they aren't new, so it records them just in case.

(Yes, there are various heuristics us humans can use: at least for 'broadcast' channels, if it's outside of 8pm-11pm, or 7pm-11pm on Sunday, do NOT record it if it has generic info since it's just syndicated reruns.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:31 AM   #5
obeythelaw2004

I think Dan has it right. All of the shows reflect an "air date" that are about a week old and tivo is still showing them as "new" and they are appearing on the to do list. Let's see if it goes away after a month. Thanks.
obeythelaw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #6
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

There is a 28-day recording history, but it's not the only thing that factors into determining if a program is new. More fundamental is the Original Air Date, a timestamp within the program's metadata. If this is less than two weeks in the past, the program is regarded as "new". This allows leeway to catch re-airings of shows that weren't recorded in their initial broadcasts, due to conflicts, for example. The 28-day rule then comes into play, to prevent duplicate recordings of further re-airings.

There are also situations where the OAD is missing, in which case, the TiVo will record, just to be on the safe side. But that's probably not what you're seeing here.

In short, it's a feature, not a bug.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #7
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
There is a 28-day recording history, but it's not the only thing that factors into determining if a program is new. More fundamental is the Original Air Date, a timestamp within the program's metadata. If this is less than two weeks in the past, the program is regarded as "new". This allows leeway to catch re-airings of shows that weren't recorded in their initial broadcasts, due to conflicts, for example. The 28-day rule then comes into play, to prevent duplicate recordings of further re-airings.

There are also situations where the OAD is missing, in which case, the TiVo will record, just to be on the safe side. But that's probably not what you're seeing here.

In short, it's a feature, not a bug.
that would be less than 28 days (4 weeks)
Old 11-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
that would be less than 28 days (4 weeks)
No kidding. Your point?

These are two separate things, the 14-day rule and the 28-day rule. I don't think my writing was that unclear.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

I thought they changed the original air date check to also be 28 days? I thought I read that somewhere a few versions back? Maybe I'm mistaken though.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote