TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-04-2007, 12:49 PM   #1
TomRaz

Removal of the Tivo HD Top Cover

I would like to upgrade my Tivo HD to a larger internal hard drive. So I purchased a Hitachi 1TB sata upgrade drive. I remove all the cover screws in the rear of the Tivo HD and I slide the top cover towards the back and it moves about 1/4 inch and then stops.

I have tried all kind of pressure points when sliding the top cover and it appears that it needs to move a little bit farther towards the rear before I can hinge the cover off to remove it.

I have been upgrading my own Tivo's since the series 1 days but this Tivo HD has gotten the best of me so far.

Any tips or suggestions on how to remove the top cover on the Tivo HD would be appreciated.

TomRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:11 PM   #2
TomRaz

Wow I guess no one has had a problem taking their Tivo HD top cover off. Mine must be a isolated problem.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:16 PM   #3
phox_mulder
I get paid 2watch TV

Well, it is Sunday and the forums are pretty much dead on Sundays.

Don't have a TiVoHD, but my S3 top came off like butter.

phox

TiVo S3-65 HD Hours-Lifetime
TiVo HD 20 HD Hours
DirecTV HR21-700 80+ HD Hours
DirecTV HR20-100 80+ HD Hours
Harmony 880 Remote Control
phox_mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:23 PM   #4
Joybob

I'd rough it up. From the screenshots of the interior, most of the guts are pretty far away from the lid so you probably won't knock anything loose if you force it.

Joybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:49 PM   #5
Mars Rocket
Loosely wound

It's probably just caught on a tiny burr in the metal. Don't be afraid to push it back a little further, or just try to lift it up. It's really not too difficult to get it off, and there's nothing that can be damaged by trying a little bit harder.

Mars Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 09:27 PM   #6
windracer
joined the 10k club

I had no issues taking off my THD cover last night (to make a backup of the virgin drive). It slid back about 1/4 inch and then lifted right off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:46 AM   #7
TomRaz

Thanks for the replies. I talked to a friend of mine who also has a Tivo HD and he had problems removing his cover also.

Oh well I will keep trying, maybe this is a new Tivo feature so you can't get inside of the unit

Old 11-05-2007, 08:57 AM   #8
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRaz
I would like to upgrade my Tivo HD to a larger internal hard drive. So I purchased a Hitachi 1TB sata upgrade drive. I remove all the cover screws in the rear of the Tivo HD and I slide the top cover towards the back and it moves about 1/4 inch and then stops.

I have tried all kind of pressure points when sliding the top cover and it appears that it needs to move a little bit farther towards the rear before I can hinge the cover off to remove it.

I have been upgrading my own Tivo's since the series 1 days but this Tivo HD has gotten the best of me so far.

Any tips or suggestions on how to remove the top cover on the Tivo HD would be appreciated.
I had this happen with one of my boxes. I just used a screwdriver on the back and carefully applied pressure at multiple spots to get it off. Once I had it off I didn't have the problem removing it any more.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 06:43 PM   #9
TomRaz

I took my TivoHD into work today. It must of looked strange me going to work and I was carrying a TivoHD under one arm.

Well a co-worker and I who also has a Tivo HD took a look at how to extract my top cover. Keep in mind it would slide towards the rear about 1/4 and then hit what appeared to be some type of stops.

Here is the method we figured out to remove the top cover on the Tivo HD.

1) Remove all cover screws from the rear of the TivoHD

2) Place the TivoHD on a flat surface such as a desk or counter top.

3) With the front of the TivoHD facing you slide the top cover around 1/4 inch until it appears to stop traveling.

4) Grab the top cover in the lower front corner on both sides and pull outward on both sides just a little and the cover will slide the rest of the way off.

I hope this helps other people that might encounter the top cover issue I ran into

Old 12-05-2008, 02:59 PM   #10
thonl

My first TivoHD was fine, but bought a 2nd today, and it had the same stuck cover issue - your solution worked perfectly - Thanks!

thonl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:07 PM   #11
nigebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRaz View Post
I hope this helps other people that might encounter the top cover issue I ran into
Same problem, same solution - seems like it might have been a slight redesign of the case. Of course once you 'know' it'll come off, you don't think about it - but when tentatively looking to do surgery on a new, under warranty device caution is very understandable.

nigebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 11:01 PM   #12
raiden256

This post is awesome. I spent 10 minutes gently playing around with the case trying to get it open without too much prying. Found this procedure and it worked instantly!

Thanks!

raiden256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 03:15 AM   #13
ciper

Interesting. I think Tivo must have changed the case design because mine with a birthday of August 12th 2007 comes off with essentially zero effort.

ciper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:05 AM   #14
drey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciper View Post
Interesting. I think Tivo must have changed the case design because mine with a birthday of August 12th 2007 comes off with essentially zero effort.
I do a lot of TiVo upgrades and yes, the case on TiVo HD units has been changed slightly. But it's really the same though, just pull the edges apart and the cover can be removed easily.

drey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 05:13 AM   #15
lrhorer

I bought mine a year ago and it has the same issue. I discovered the same work-around as the poster above quite some time ago. I've eliminated the issue by swapping the SATA jumpers inside the case, causing the primary drive connection to be eSATA, and putting the (upgraded) drive in an Antec MX-1 case. Thus, my THD no longer has an internal drive, at all, and there is no reason for me to open the case any longer.

lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:08 AM   #16
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phox_mulder View Post
...came off like butter....
????

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:17 PM   #17
TomRaz

Well it had been a year since my post and I went to upgrade another new Tivo HD and the cover wouldn't come off. So I found my own post and it worked great !

Old 02-05-2015, 09:21 AM   #18
AlanBunk49

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRaz View Post
3) With the front of the TivoHD facing you slide the top cover around 1/4 inch until it appears to stop traveling.

4) Grab the top cover in the lower front corner on both sides and pull outward on both sides just a little and the cover will slide the rest of the way off.
Step 4 was the key for me. I had been trying all morning to get my TivoHD open and this did it. Thanks much for the tip!

AlanBunk49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:56 PM   #19
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBunk49 View Post
Step 4 was the key for me. I had been trying all morning to get my TivoHD open and this did it. Thanks much for the tip!
LOL TomRaz's last activity on this forum was in 2010. But maybe someone will relay your thanks to him. Actually this was a rare case where resurrecting a thread that had been dead for 6 years made sense. I've experienced this little issue with my THD case also.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote