TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-18-2013, 08:18 AM   #1
wrkalot

WOW Cable in Condo, Help!

We get free cable through our condo association. The whole building is on a "bulk account". When we moved in all we did was plug the coax cable into the back of the TiVo and run through the set up and bingo, TV! There was no need for a cable card.

We have a Series 3 TiVo and WOW is converting over to all digital. We received a letter about obtaining a couple of free converter boxes, which we have now, but I don't think we need them (because the TiVo 3 is compatible).

We decided to go through and redo the setup procedure and it say's that we need Cable Cards (we DO NOT have the digital adapter connected at this time).

So, can anyone explain exactly what we need to do in our to receive the digital signal, if anything?
wrkalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

You need a cablecard. You do not need the DTA with a tivo.

If you have the oled s-3 you will need two cards, any other tivo just needs one.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
Teeps

And, if they go to *SDV you will need a tuning adapter too.

*Switched Digital Video
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:49 AM   #4
wrkalot

Thanks for the replies. So using a the converter box in place of the cables cards is not an option?
Old 10-19-2013, 09:42 AM   #5
wrkalot

Ok, I've answered my own question. Next is to make sure I get the correct cards.

There are 2 card slots on the front of the machine, at the bottom under a panel that runs the length of the box.

Slot 1 is marked "Multi- or Single-Stream CableCARD"

Slot 2 is marked "Single-Stream CableCARD ONLY"

My brain tells me that I can put 1 Multi card in slot one and still record 2 channels at the same time?
Old 10-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrkalot View Post
Ok, I've answered my own question. Next is to make sure I get the correct cards.

There are 2 card slots on the front of the machine, at the bottom under a panel that runs the length of the box.

Slot 1 is marked "Multi- or Single-Stream CableCARD"

Slot 2 is marked "Single-Stream CableCARD ONLY"

My brain tells me that I can put 1 Multi card in slot one and still record 2 channels at the same time?
Yes, with the HD all you need is one Multi-card and it will service both tuners.

At the time it came out the Multis were just coming into use, so they allowed for use with cable companies who at that time only offered Singles by having two slots.

The original Series 3, the model before the HD, came out before the specs for the Multi-card were finalized, so it turns out that it can't use them, at least not one for both tuners, and has to use 2 Singles*, one for each tuner, but everything after that model can use Multis.

*I may be mistaken and it can use 2 Multis, one for each tuner, but don't know for sure.

Some of the newer TiVos only have one slot because Multis are so prevalent now.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
sfhub

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
*I may be mistaken and it can use 2 Multis, one for each tuner, but don't know for sure.
That's correct, OLED S3 can use m-cards in single stream mode though IMO the provisioning for this pathway (including proper version of cablecard firmware) is not tested as well, so the chances of trouble are higher.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:14 AM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub View Post
That's correct, OLED S3 can use m-cards in single stream mode though IMO the provisioning for this pathway (including proper version of cablecard firmware) is not tested as well, so the chances of trouble are higher.
But if your cable company doesn't offer S cards anymore, you get to be the crash test dummy.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:56 AM   #9
sfhub

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
But if your cable company doesn't offer S cards anymore, you get to be the crash test dummy.
It does work in my area but the initial ones needed a firmware upgrade.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:31 PM   #10
mdscott

With bvoth Comcast (Pittsburgh) & Fios (SoCal) two M cards performed happily in our S3 OLED.