TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #1
Bphagan
brettdog

Removing CableCard

I am getting a new RoamioPro this week and will be moving my cablecard from my XL2 to the Roamio.
I was told in another thread that the recordings I already have on my XL2 will still be accessable when I remove the cablecard except for protected content.
I have Lifetime on the XL2.

Is there a way to tell if the content is protected and will not be accessible when I remove the card?

Is there a way to transfer recordings from the XL2 to the Roamio without going thru PC?

bdog
Bphagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #2
socrplyr

All recordings will be watchable after taking out the CableCard from your current Tivo.
If both Tivo's have active service on the same account (have the same MAK (Media Access Key)), then they can share shows over your in home network.
If your XL2 (which there is no Tivo with that designation) is a Premiere, then you can watch any recording from the Roamio by streaming it.
If your XL2 is a Series3/HD, then any shows that were not marked as "Copy Once" by your cable provider can be copied to the Roamio (directly) or a computer.

There are other options under other conditions, but I figured you would most likely have service on both Tivo's on the same account.
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:18 AM   #3
Bphagan
brettdog

Sorry for using XL2. It is a Premiere XL with 2 tuners vs 4 tuners XL4.

I am also getting a Tivo Mini for the bedroom.

I plan to sell the Premiere XL but have quite a lot of recordings still on the unit from the new season. I want to transfer them to the Roamio if possible.

The RoamioPro LT service will be added to the same account as the XL.
All future recordings will be using the Roamio.

Is it easy to transfer Season Passes from the XL to Roamio?

These may be easy questions to answer myself once I get the new Roamio.
But trying to understand what I may need to do once it arrives.

Thanks,
bdog
Old 10-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bphagan View Post
The RoamioPro LT service will be added to the same account as the XL.
All future recordings will be using the Roamio.

Is it easy to transfer Season Passes from the XL to Roamio?
Yes, it's pretty easy. There are two ways I'm aware of for doing this.
The first is using TiVo's website. Once both TiVos are on your account you log in and go to the webpage's season pass manager (IIRC the direct URL is www.tivo.com/spm) and there should be an option to send season passes to another TiVo.
(Note: this often seems to scramble their order, so you may need to rearrange them on the new TiVo)

The other solution (which I haven't personally used) is to install use the kmttg software on your computer and use it to make a backup of your season passes and autorecording wishlists. You can then restore this backup onto your new TiVo.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #5
socrplyr

Season passes are very easy to copy over to the Roamio. Just use Tivo's web interface. When I did it, they didn't keep the same order for some reason, but it is just a drag and drop process to reorder via Tivo.com. (Unless things changes, there is no way to move wishlists, only season passes.)
Old 10-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
Bphagan
brettdog

Thanks.

I installed kmttg and looking at how to use this program.
Need to learn some of the lingo, but should be able to do what I want.

bdog
Old 10-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #7
Bphagan
brettdog

To follow up, kmttg worked well for transferring the SPs to the new Roamio.

The problem was with Comcast.
I called the 877 number and they were helpful except they could not unpair the card from current Tivo saying that the comcast system in my area was doing an update. I never heard companies doing system updates in the middle of the day.
They said to call back later to try again.
Meanwhile, they had to re pair it with my current Tivo because once I removed it, some of the numbers changed and the card would work 100%.

I called back a few hours later and the same issue.

So I drove to the Comcast store and picked up another card.
I called and they paired it with my new Tivo box without issue.

The Tivo had to go thru a number of updates and stuff before I could use it fully.
It required an over night update before kmttg would talk to the unit.

Now all is working.

I recommend getting a second card to get everything working before discontinuing the old Tivo card.

bdog
Old 10-10-2013, 09:09 PM   #8
socrplyr

Sounds like a Comcast problem, but it isn't a bad idea if it isn't too much of a pain for you to pick up another card temporarily. That is going to make for a fun bill with partial months of additional outlet fees and user owned equipment credits.