Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-08-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
The Paradise 10/6/2013 (S01E01E02) "Episode 1", "Episode 2"

I don't think it really took but one hour, but for sure by two hours I was invested in the characters and hooked on the story. I like Moray. Nothing gets by him and he really seems to care about his store and the people in it. It's nice to see how he sees most everything going on, one way or another, and gives credit where it's due.

I can't believe store employees actually lived in the store though. Crazy. No idea if it's true, but I'm presuming it probably is.

Anyway, I probably won't be posting any more threads beyond this or maybe the next, because I'm gonna go get all the episodes from other sources since this aired in the UK last year, and season 2 begins airing there in a couple weeks. I want to be caught up for that.

Go watch it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #2
tlrowley
Quilt Geek

I watched this series earlier (from other sources) and enjoyed it very much. I thought it was much better than Mr. Selfridge.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #3
cherry ghost

Is this going to be 8 episodes in 7 weeks, or is PBS doing what they did to Downton Abbey and making some cuts to fit 8 episodes into 4 weeks?
cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:02 AM   #4
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
Is this going to be 8 episodes in 7 weeks, or is PBS doing what they did to Downton Abbey and making some cuts to fit 8 episodes into 4 weeks?
That isn't entirely correct, as least from what I recorded of Downton in Southern California.

YES! There were cuts. I don't know why, but it is confirmed. Oddly enough, on a UK site, there were a few complaints that asserted the version that PBS showed not only had cuts, but that there were scenes added that were not in the UK version. I'm not a big fan like the wife, so I don't know if it's accurate or not.

The PBS showing schedule worked as follows, at least for series 2, 3, and 4. There were eight episodes in each series, and they were shown in a six week slot, with the first and last showing consisting of two episodes. So, the first week was a two hour block, then four one hour blocks, then a finale which was two hours. Not four weeks, but six. I made DVDs off the broadcast.

I didn't record Selfridge, so I don't remember how it was done.

The Paradise is an eight episode series (which has apparently been renewed) and PBS showed episodes one and two in a two hour block the first week, and episode three in a one hour segment the second week, (last Sunday) so I expect it will follow the same pattern that it has used in the past, showing one hour per week with a two hour finale. Yes, I expect that there will be cuts form the UK broadcast.

Dealing with this, my wife got the UK versions from Amazon.co.uk which required me to get an all region, all zone DVD/BR player.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:58 AM   #5
AeneaGames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
The Paradise is an eight episode series (which has apparently been renewed)
Not only has it been renewed, episode 1 of season 2 will air coming sunday in the UK
AeneaGames is offline   Reply With Quote