TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-22-2014, 05:41 PM   #1
Jim_TV

The Lottery: Season 1 Thread

I didn't see any discussion on this new Lifetime Channel series so I started a season thread. It is set in the 2020's where for unknown reasons no human alive has been able to conceive a child in over six years. Of course this sets off a worldwide crisis as humanity could be facing an eventual extinction within a human lifetime.

One scientist is finally able to successfully fertilize 100 eggs and a lot of drama ensues as the government gets involved in a heavy handed way. Finally- in the most ridiculous decision possible- the president of the U.S. is convinced for political reasons to announce a lottery where women would be able to win a chance to be implanted with these fertilized eggs and carry the children to term as surrogates.

Of course, in reality they would carefully select healthy young surrogates with a wide genetic diversity who were pre-screened for diseases to get the best possible results from the eventual births to ensure the survival of the human species.
Jim_TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:13 PM   #2
wprager

100 new babies is less than a drop in the bucket after 6 years (maybe after 60). There is no reason to think that the 100 embryos would grow up to be healthy (in a reproductive way) human beings. So they would obviously need more eggs, otherwise this really isn't much to celebrate. And if the process of fertilization can be repeated then do you really need a lottery?
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:36 AM   #3
Jim_TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
100 new babies is less than a drop in the bucket after 6 years (maybe after 60). There is no reason to think that the 100 embryos would grow up to be healthy (in a reproductive way) human beings. So they would obviously need more eggs, otherwise this really isn't much to celebrate. And if the process of fertilization can be repeated then do you really need a lottery?
I'm not the writer of the show, so I have no idea how they will play this out yet. It remains to be see whether they are able to fertilize more eggs now that the U.S. government stepped in to control the process. In the first episode the head scientist explained that she wasn't sure why she was successful on that batch and explained that she wasn't able to replicate that success yet. There is no way to know if they will be able to fertilize more eggs artificially or whether these humans who may yet be born will ever grow to maturity or will be able to conceive naturally. It also seems likely that this lottery will end up being rigged as common sense would dictate.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:12 PM   #4
robojerk

My guess, the government is somehow responsible for the global infertility. They took over the lady scientists fertility program because they were afraid of being found out. Of course it might take at least at least a season (I'm not holding my breath for a renewal) to find out why everyone is infertile.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:45 PM   #5
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

For me, it's just that the writing is so stupid...the characters do such stupid things for such purportedly smart people!
Like the main doctor from the lab (I don't remember her name) that was told to leave the lab and had the government goons after her-Oh, gee, I think I will go out of my house all alone late at night in the dark...what could possibly happen?
And that guy takes his son on the run...yes, that will end well....
STUPID STUPID STUPID!
I had high hopes for this show but it's already turning into something I can't stand!
I guess I will give it another ep or two....
Old 07-25-2014, 12:40 AM   #6
Jim_TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
For me, it's just that the writing is so stupid...the characters do such stupid things for such purportedly smart people!
Like the main doctor from the lab (I don't remember her name) that was told to leave the lab and had the government goons after her-Oh, gee, I think I will go out of my house all alone late at night in the dark...what could possibly happen?
And that guy takes his son on the run...yes, that will end well....
STUPID STUPID STUPID!
I had high hopes for this show but it's already turning into something I can't stand!
I guess I will give it another ep or two....
I don't really get your two criticisms. The doctor had to leave her house even though she knew the government agents were likely to be after her. What was the alternative? Stay in her house and wait for them to catch her in there for sure?

And as far as the father on the run with his son. What else was he supposed to do once once his son was in the care of the government in the hospital? Just leave him there, shrug his shoulders, go home and hope they give him his kid back someday?

There are many dumb things about this show, but the two specific things you mentioned are not among them.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:32 AM   #7
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_TV View Post
I don't really get your two criticisms. The doctor had to leave her house even though she knew the government agents were likely to be after her. What was the alternative? Stay in her house and wait for them to catch her in there for sure?

And as far as the father on the run with his son. What else was he supposed to do once once his son was in the care of the government in the hospital? Just leave him there, shrug his shoulders, go home and hope they give him his kid back someday?

There are many dumb things about this show, but the two specific things you mentioned are not among them.
They seemed stupid to me!
Old 07-25-2014, 12:44 PM   #8
robojerk

I agree, it's stupid. How does one go on the run with a 9 year old in a world where any kid that age would be like seeing a unicorn or leprechaun? Yeah what happened to him was unfair, and mean. But how do we know for certain he was going to lose his parenting rights for good?
Old 07-25-2014, 06:34 PM   #9
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
I agree, it's stupid. How does one go on the run with a 9 year old in a world where any kid that age would be like seeing a unicorn or leprechaun? Yeah what happened to him was unfair, and mean. But how do we know for certain he was going to lose his parenting rights for good?
Yes-there were what, 6 little kids in the WHOLE WORLD?

And he sure as SH*T is going to lose his rights when they catch up to him!

Anyway-I said the writing was stupid-including the government taking away his rights in the first place. He's late ONE DAY to pick up his kid and all of a sudden they take the kid away? The government must want to study the kid for fertility studies or something....anyway....like I said, I had high hopes for this show but it disappointed me
Old 07-26-2014, 05:27 AM   #10
Jim_TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
Yes-there were what, 6 little kids in the WHOLE WORLD?

And he sure as SH*T is going to lose his rights when they catch up to him!

Anyway-I said the writing was stupid-including the government taking away his rights in the first place. He's late ONE DAY to pick up his kid and all of a sudden they take the kid away? The government must want to study the kid for fertility studies or something....anyway....like I said, I had high hopes for this show but it disappointed me
There aren't only six grammar school age children left in the world. There are only six of his child's exact age, the youngest alive. There are still older children in school somewhat close in age to his child, but those numbers have been tapering off as time passes of course. They mentioned this specifically.

With a sci-fi premise like this there is almost no way they could make a show and not have people pick it apart as unrealistic or stupid. I don't think it really matters how they wrote it. So far I am mildly entertained. I'll give it a little bit more of a chance.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:11 AM   #11
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Quote:
There aren't only six grammar school age children left in the world. There are only six of his child's exact age, the youngest alive. There are still older children in school somewhat close in age to his child, but those numbers have been tapering off as time passes of course. They mentioned this specifically.

With a sci-fi premise like this there is almost no way they could make a show and not have people pick it apart as unrealistic or stupid. I don't think it really matters how they wrote it. So far I am mildly entertained. I'll give it a little bit more of a chance.
Well, that's true-that's why we have this forum, to pick apart the hard work of hundreds of people! LOL!

Oh, well, it's a new show in the summer...
Old 07-26-2014, 01:55 PM   #12
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:

I haven't watched this show because I thought it was about people winning millions and then havoc ensues, and that series had already been cancelled.

But after reading the posts here, I suppose that it could work better if the embryo lottery took place on a colony on Mars where there is a limited population base whose fertility is affected by something mysterious on Mars.

Hey! I think I just came up with a show to pitch to the networks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 03:45 PM   #13
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
I haven't watched this show because I thought it was about people winning millions and then havoc ensues, and that series had already been cancelled.

But after reading the posts here, I suppose that it could work better if the embryo lottery took place on a colony on Mars where there is a limited population base whose fertility is affected by something mysterious on Mars.

Hey! I think I just came up with a show to pitch to the networks!
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...tch+to+network

Oh, this is just for sitcoms...make it funny-and maybe you've got yourself a deal!
Old 07-27-2014, 04:35 PM   #14
Howie
Out of Pocket

I was totally surprised at the end when the woman got stoned to death.
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:23 PM   #15
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

The premise sounds like Children of Men.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:43 PM   #16
Jim_TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie View Post
I was totally surprised at the end when the woman got stoned to death.
What show are you talking about?
Old 07-27-2014, 06:18 PM   #17
Howie
Out of Pocket

The Lottery by Shirley Jackson. It's a great short story that I remember reading back in high school. I'd say read it, but I probably ruined it for you already.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:24 PM   #18
Jim_TV

Quote:
The Lottery by Shirley Jackson. It's a great short story that I remember reading back in high school. I'd say read it, but I probably ruined it for you already.
Is there any relation between this written work and the Lifetime channel tv show The Lottery that is the focus of this thread? Or are you just injecting a comment about a short story that purely by coincidence has the same name?
Old 07-27-2014, 07:33 PM   #19
Howie
Out of Pocket

Has my little joke displeased you?
Old 07-27-2014, 10:00 PM   #20
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Quote:
DUDE! It made me LOL!

But seriously, how about a "spoiler alert" warning?
Old 07-27-2014, 10:44 PM   #21
Jim_TV

Quote:
I believe it's customary for a joke to be funny.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:32 AM   #22
wprager

Second episode was a little weak, after the first one. The lamest part, by far, was when he called the cops (I guess he dialed 911?) and told them "That guy you are all looking for, I just saw him over there!" "Ok, thank you very much, sir." Even my wife was rolling her eyes, and she's usually more forgiving.

And while I knew the Expos left Montreal and moved to Washington DC, I didn't realize they took the Olympic Stadium with them. That is a *very* recognizable structure -- the outside, mostly, but of course as I didn't miss a home opener for 13 years straight when I was living in Montreal, I recognized the interior as well.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:48 AM   #23
Howie
Out of Pocket

I'm sorry you have no sense of humor.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:56 PM   #24
wprager

Quote:
I believe it's customary for a joke to be funny.
Apparently you have not been watching many NBC sitcoms, lately.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:05 PM   #25
Jim_TV

Quote:
I'm sorry you have no sense of humor.
Yes, you are sorry. Perhaps there is another non-joke you can crowbar into the thread in a feeble attempt at humor?
Old 07-28-2014, 06:25 PM   #26
Howie
Out of Pocket

Uncle. You're too much fun for me.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:01 PM   #27
jamesl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
^ this
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:50 PM   #28
DavidJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
I believe it's from the same producers or writers or something.

Shirley Jackson's The Lottery is worth the read even if you know the end. It's a short story , maybe less than 20 pages, but completely unrelated to they show.
DavidJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:33 PM   #29
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

This thread is more entertaining than the show.

And this thread isn't entertaining at all.

I'm out.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:15 AM   #30
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I tried hard to watch episode 2. Nope. The only interest became Kyle and the kid and even that faded after the diabetic low blood sugar thing. All the government stuff. Nope. I'm out.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote