TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-21-2014, 07:51 PM   #301
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
Rerun. It seems the show is on hiatus until March.
Thanks.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:39 PM   #302
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
Rerun. It seems the show is on hiatus until March.
Which makes the outlook for this show after this season dubious at best. Skipping February sweeps is not a good sign.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:58 PM   #303
WO312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
Which makes the outlook for this show after this season dubious at best. Skipping February sweeps is not a good sign.
I think Feb sweeps will be dominated by the Olympics, so I wonder how many other new episodes of other shows we will see.
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:57 AM   #304
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
I don't know. I really like the show this season.

Although, I always wondered why they put it on Sunday evenings, with the scheduling unpredictability and all.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:20 AM   #305
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post
I think Feb sweeps will be dominated by the Olympics, so I wonder how many other new episodes of other shows we will see.

That's my take on it as well. The Olympics will be a juggernaut, so why waste new episodes of any show when you know darn good and well that no one will be watching?

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:02 AM   #306
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

That's my take on it as well. The Olympics will be a juggernaut, so why waste new episodes of any show when you know darn good and well that no one will be watching?
Maybe this should go in the Things That Baffle You thread, but I don't get why anyone watches that. I mean, yeah, sports are great, but the TV coverage of the Olympics in the US are always so badly produced that I gave up on them a long time ago.

I think networks that don't just surrender and actually provide some counter-programming will do very well for themselves.

In any case, I've got plenty of movies on the TiVo waiting to be seen....

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:20 PM   #307
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
Maybe this should go in the Things That Baffle You thread, but I don't get why anyone watches that. I mean, yeah, sports are great, but the TV coverage of the Olympics in the US are always so badly produced that I gave up on them a long time ago.

I think networks that don't just surrender and actually provide some counter-programming will do very well for themselves.

In any case, I've got plenty of movies on the TiVo waiting to be seen....
I agree to an extent, but I think the problem is that they can't really target the audience. During the olympics, I imagine the demo that watches hockey is alot different than those that watch figure skating.

However, remember that Survivor previously started in what was thought the "doldrums" of the summertime TV season.

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:36 PM   #308
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan View Post
However, remember that Survivor previously started in what was thought the "doldrums" of the summertime TV season.
Although there's a difference a time when nobody's watching TV, and a time when everybody's watching something else.

Regardless of busyba and me, a LOT of people REALLY like to watch the Olympics.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:39 PM   #309
Jon J
Curmudgeon

In light of how many markets are now metered are sweeps months as important as in the past?
Old 03-10-2014, 07:26 PM   #310
astrohip
Stuart F

First new Mentalist in what seems like forever. Good episode, the new characters are starting to jell.

Mentalist 2.0 is fun to watch again, but the side story, which I confess I don't even remember what it's about, is not needed. Don't want any Mentalist 1.0 drama, just stick to the new stuff.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:42 AM   #311
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Are they trying to soften up the oh so bland/tough black chief guy? I mean he was acting so out of character when the toy arrived. The way his character has been up to now, I would have thought he would have tossed the toy in the trash the minute he opened it up because he's so "hardcore".

I guess I lost track of what story #2 was about...meaning the plot with VanPelt and crew and that ending. Was it something to do with phone tapping?
Old 03-11-2014, 08:42 AM   #312
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfer View Post
Are they trying to soften up the oh so bland/tough black chief guy? I mean he was acting so out of character when the toy arrived. The way his character has been up to now, I would have thought he would have tossed the toy in the trash the minute he opened it up because he's so "hardcore".
I was also a little annoyed that the boy toys were sci-fi action figure type stuff, and the girl toy was a princess wand. Way to pander to gender stereotypes!
Old 03-11-2014, 04:15 PM   #313
john4200

Quote:
I guess I lost track of what story #2 was about...meaning the plot with VanPelt and crew and that ending. Was it something to do with phone tapping?
Judging from past behavior, I expect the writers do not know either. They'll just write silly things like that until they figure it is time to come up with a conclusion to the arc, and then they will send the arc out with a whimper.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:44 AM   #314
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Rigsby and VanPelt found out that a number of ex-CBI were being killed. They were trying to track down a link common to the killings.

They really needed to have included a bit of "Previously on..." to get us back up to speed. It took me quite a while to remember.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:57 AM   #315
eddyj

My wife, who has a great memory (but does not pay close attention to the Mentalist) did not even remember the phone plotline. I could not remember details either. That is the problem with these long hiatuses, when you have arcs. I have abandoned many a series when by the time the new season comes, I can't remember what was going on before.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:09 AM   #316
markz
Hilarity Ensues

I don't recall it either. And was there any fallout after:

Spoiler:
The former CBI boss/Internal Affairs guy died? I don't remember anything about that after the actual death. That will probably do bad things to Jayne mentally, since he called in his favor and it ended up in the guy being killed.

markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:52 AM   #317
lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by markz View Post

Spoiler:
The former CBI boss/Internal Affairs guy died? I don't remember anything about that after the actual death. That will probably do bad things to Jayne mentally, since he called in his favor and it ended up in the guy being killed.
The incident you spoileized happened in the last few minutes of the episode. The fallout will occur in future episodes.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:10 AM   #318
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
The incident you spoileized happened in the last few minutes of the episode. The fallout will occur in future episodes.
Thanks! I am usually multitasking and wasn't sure if I missed it.

markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:22 PM   #319
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by markz View Post

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I'm gonna miss those freaky eyes of his.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:55 PM   #320
eddyj

So what was

Spoiler:
in the box from his safe? Did we ever find out?

Old 03-12-2014, 02:41 PM   #321
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
So what was

Spoiler:
in the box from his safe? Did we ever find out?
Yes.

Spoiler:
It was the tongue of the man who assaulted his mother.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:45 PM   #322
eddyj

I had totally and completely forgotten that.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:47 PM   #323
john4200

Why are people spoilerizing things in an official season thread for the current season?
Old 03-12-2014, 02:47 PM   #324
eddyj

Spoiler:
Because we want to.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:50 PM   #325
bacevedo

Were there new writers/producers for the last couple of episodes, especially the Gray Water one?

The writing and acting just seemed lower caliber than what we are used to. Some of the interactions, especially the greetings/hugs between the FBI/ex CBI and Van Pelt/Rigsby were so forced.

Plus, the story line with Van Pelt and Rigsby and the bugging of phones is more of the old Red John story line that we don't need anymore. Just be done with that arc already.

The reboot had a chance to make it fun and fresh again. But now they are falling into the old traps.
bacevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:07 PM   #326
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

And the snow effects were sometimes terrible...it was obvious that it was just the usual LA mountains with sparse fake snow, and sometimes just the dirt CGI'd white! Sometimes they'd CGI the background mountains white...and sometimes they wouldn't.

I had to laugh at the car that was thick with dust as it drove through the "snow."
Old 03-24-2014, 05:12 PM   #327
AeneaGames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
And the snow effects were sometimes terrible...it was obvious that it was just the usual LA mountains with sparse fake snow, and sometimes just the dirt CGI'd white! Sometimes they'd CGI the background mountains white...and sometimes they wouldn't.

I had to laugh at the car that was thick with dust as it drove through the "snow."
Ah, thank heavens I wasn't the only one who noticed that! It was snowing, there was 'snow' on the ground but nothing in the trees and bushes! Utter weirdness!

It's extra weird since some LA mountains do actually have snow, but they probably didn't have a cabin there to film...
AeneaGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:12 PM   #328
eddyj

Both the wife and I commented on how poor this episode was. I hope they get better again, I'd like it to be renewed.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:16 PM   #329
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post

Everyone is a critic about CGI snow these days....

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:16 PM   #330
john4200

I was disappointed that both Grace and Rigsby were unable to overcome a plump old lady. They are both supposed to be pretty bad ass (and smart, in Grace's case). But it seemed like they lost about 30 IQ points this episode.