TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-11-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Judge tells Kevin Trudeau what "THEY" want to know.

Quote:
U.S. District Judge Robert Gettleman, who’s overseeing a civil case involving Trudeau, was clearly unhappy this morning at Trudeau’s latest antics — urging his followers via his Web site to flood the judge with emails and BlackBerry messages.

"This is direct contempt — that's how I view it," Gettleman said. "He interfered with the direct process of the court."
The Federal Trade Commission has labeled Trudeau a fraud and got a court order in 2004 to curtail his business.

Trudeau has sold millions of books, in part with the pitch that the government is trying to keep him from telling dieters the truth with his “The Weight-Loss Cure They Don’t Want You to Know About,” which has become a best-seller.

Gettleman previously has fined Trudeau more than $5 million, then raised that fine to more than $37 million — the amount the FTC figured Trudeau made on the book via his infomercials.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/2...021110.article
I knew he's a scumbag, but here I thought he was at least a smart, slick scumbag.

He was facing civil damages, now he gets to look at criminal charges.

"THEY" don't want you to know!
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:40 PM   #2
Shaunnick

He's a ******bag.
Shaunnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

What show is this again?

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
What show is this again?
Doonesbury, I think.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:46 PM   #5
Shaunnick

Quote:
What show is this again?
Watch your TV at about 4 in the morning, you might cacth him then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
Doonesbury, I think.
Gary Trudeau.

Or...

I see what you did there.
Shaunnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:49 PM   #6
edc

I used to really like the one with the Fake Larry King. I think it was the burned out bulbs in the US map behind them.
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:55 PM   #7
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunnick View Post
Gary Trudeau.

Or...

I see what you did there.
the latter.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:55 PM   #8
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
He was facing civil damages, now he gets to look at criminal charges.
Well, THAT'S good news! He is a shyster of the highest degree and it's way past time for him to pay.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:21 PM   #9
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

He obviously has lotsa phools who buy the act, thus the army sending the emails. I have a neighbor who is among them. There's no fantasy in the world that couldn't have a conspiracy theory behind it.

The first thing "THEY" went after him for was credit card fraud. I guess "THEY" didn't want you to know he was honest (not!).
UVerse and OTA

Old 02-11-2010, 03:25 PM   #10
marksman
ID-10-T

I got to know who is buying stuff from him.

He has been kicked in the nads so many times by the FTC. I hope he ends up going to jail for whatever reason they can come up with.. He is a scourge.
marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:04 AM   #11
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

[corrected]The judge cited Kevin Trudeau for contempt of court and warned him he could go to prison. He made Kevin Trudeau post a $50,000 cash bond which he has to pay today.

Quote:
I don’t have confidence in your client,” Gettleman told Trudeau’s lawyer. “I do insist that, if he is to avoid custody today, he post bond.”
Gettleman previously has banned Trudeau from making infomercials for three years, fined him more than $5 million, then raised that fine to more than $37 million — the amount the FTC figured Trudeau made on the book via his infomercials. An appeals court said the ruling was too broad and sent it back to the judge. Gettleman was still weighing the matter when he was deluged with emails Wednesday.

Trudeau has pitched miracle health cures, also saying the government wants to keep the public from knowing about natural remedies.

In a recent on-air radio broadcast, Trudeau talks about wanting to land a TV show. If Fox gave him the chance, he said he’d be: “Bigger than O’Reilly. Bigger than Glenn Beck.”

Stephen Barrett, the creator of Quackwatch.org, has for years labeled Trudeau a fraud.

“He struck me as somebody who (believes he) is omnipotent. That is, no one can touch him,” Barrett said. “That’s almost been the case."
http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/2...021110.article
As it is with all these scammers, spammers and Do Not Call violators. They figure they can make the bundle of dough quick and be sunning in their private villa in Costa Rica before the FTC and the feds can really do anything. They've been right.

---

The point is Trudeau uses the FTC chasing him as the '"THEY" don't want you to know.'

Beside the stealing, some of his half-baked cures can kill people - especially if they shun conventional medicine.
UVerse and OTA

Last edited by MikeAndrews : 02-12-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:20 AM   #12
ahartman
Space for Rent

Wait... having people send emails is grounds for a contempt charge?!?
ahartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:24 AM   #13
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahartman View Post
A "flood" of emails and texts to the judge's personal (probably) email and his blackberry?

Yes.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:50 AM   #14
Chris Gerhard

Quote:
The judge fined Kevin Trudeau $50,000 for contempt of court which he has to pay today.

The point is he uses the FTC chasing him as the '"THEY" don't want you to know.'

Beside the stealing, some of his half-baked cures can kill people - especially if they shun conventional medicine.
His is an interesting case. He is the worst of the worst, preying on the ill and uneducated and his "remedies" have no doubt killed more people than will ever be counted. He is one of the greatest snake oil salesman of all-time but unfortunately he is dangerous so he quits being funny rather quickly for me. I happened to catch one of his infomercials not long ago, it was one with "Reverend" Robert Tilton's ex-wife as hostess feeding him the nonsense questions about his books and inquiries about how the evil drug companies, the FTC and the FDA are out to get him and prevent him from providing natural remedies for many illnesses.

I am amazed our system allows him to hide behind the first amendment right to freedom of speech to fleece his victims and make his fortune. He has been stopped from selling products that do nothing but has been able to sell his books that do nothing but rip people off for years now. Some people actually believe this crook has a cure for AIDS, cancer and herpes?

Chris
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:57 AM   #15
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
You NEVER contact the judge directly. That's what court is for.
UVerse and OTA

Old 02-12-2010, 10:06 AM   #16
Chris Gerhard

Quote:
A Contempt of Court order is often a civil order and it is a bloody hammer a judge can use if he finds a party in a court proceeding has disobeyed or been disrespectful of a court or judge or the legal process. Arranging for a flood of text messages and emails to be sent to a judge is surely an act of contempt and I suspect that finding won't be overturned by an appellate court.

My hope is Mr. Trudeau ends this series of trials in jail. Criminal convictions, civil contempt findings or anything else that can get this guy back in jail where he belongs is great by me.

Chris
Old 02-12-2010, 12:05 PM   #17
DouglasPHill

KT did jail time many years ago. Can't quite remember what it was for.
DouglasPHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #18
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasPHill View Post
KT did jail time many years ago. Can't quite remember what it was for.
That was the credit card fraud.

Kevin Trudeau used to sell claptrap cures like shark cartilage.

He got into the book selling business when he got out of jail in hopes that any effort to stifle that could be overcome on free speech grounds.
UVerse and OTA

Old 02-12-2010, 12:23 PM   #19
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
What show is this again?
That talk show hosted by Danny Bonaduce.

(Who said on his radio show that he got a Dodge Viper out of the deal.)
UVerse and OTA

Old 02-12-2010, 01:30 PM   #20
FourFourSeven

The awful thing about Trudeau isn't that he's a fraud. That's annoying, illegal, and bad, but not awful.

The awful thing about Trudeau is his "advice" and "cures" can lead people not to seek real treatment. Ultimately, I suspect lots of people die because of Trudeau.

How can somebody essentially agree to let people unnecessarily die to make a few bucks? That's despicable beyond belief.
FourFourSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:09 PM   #21
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFourSeven View Post
How can somebody essentially agree to let people unnecessarily die to make a few bucks? That's despicable beyond belief.
"Don't be melodramatic. Look down there. Tell me. Would you really feel any pity if one of those dots stopped moving forever? If I offered you [$250,000] for every dot that stopped, would you really, old man, tell me to keep my money, or would you calculate how many dots you could afford to spare?"
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:29 PM   #22
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFourSeven View Post
The awful thing about Trudeau isn't that he's a fraud. That's annoying, illegal, and bad, but not awful.

The awful thing about Trudeau is his "advice" and "cures" can lead people not to seek real treatment. Ultimately, I suspect lots of people die because of Trudeau.

The word is he even got that covered with a weasel.

It goes like this:

How to treat Cancer
  1. SEE A DOCTOR.
  2. Try drinking nnnn tea.
  3. CONSULT WITH AN ONCOLOGIST.
  4. Take clam guanno extract.
  5. GO TO A HOSPITAL.
  6. Using bungee cords, suspend by your ankles upside down on your bathroom door.
  7. CALL YOUR PHYSICIAN

UVerse and OTA

Old 02-17-2010, 08:31 PM   #23
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

The judge sentenced Kevin Trudeau to 30 days in jail. He has to surrender to US Marshals in 24 hours (Thursday.)

Trudeau's lawyer said he'll file a for a stat and scumbag hisself said his first amendment rights are being violated. Yeah, that was the scam planned when he went from worthless products to worthless books and he's sticking with it.

http://consumerist.com/2010/02/infom...noy-judge.html

You can be a snappy dresser when you've stolen $millions.
http://www.suntimes.com/news/24-7/20...021710.article
UVerse and OTA

Old 02-18-2010, 05:03 PM   #24
Chris Gerhard

Quote:
The judge sentenced Kevin Trudeau to 30 days in jail. He has to surrender to US Marshals in 24 hours (Thursday.)

Trudeau's lawyer said he'll file a for a stat and scumbag hisself said his first amendment rights are being violated. Yeah, that was the scam planned when he went from worthless products to worthless books and he's sticking with it.

http://consumerist.com/2010/02/infom...noy-judge.html

You can be a snappy dresser when you've stolen $millions.
http://www.suntimes.com/news/24-7/20...021710.article
This is good news, 30 days is a good start.

Chris
Old 02-18-2010, 06:47 PM   #25
mrdazzo7

I've always wondered about this guy... he clearly seems like a raging ****** bag, but he's been on TV for so long across so many different industries that I figured he had to be doing something right, because otherwise why would people CONTINUE to invest in his products for years.

Does anyone here know anyone who bought something of his (the diet stuff, the remedies, the debt cures, etc)? Verdict? I don't get how he's allowed to go on TV with such obvious bull**** and make millions of dollars doing it. I figured if he was really that much of a fraud, it wouldn't have been able to continue for so long. Then again, look at Madoff. But Madoff wasn't pushing a medically based remedy book that could, as suggested, persuade people away from actual treatment, and I'd think one single adverse experience with that and he'd be done.

Ultimately, I suspect lots of people die because of Trudeau.

Maybe, but I'd think it would have "gotten out" once it started happening. ALl it would take is one family to post a video on youtube about how his book killed their grandmother, and that crap would spread like wildfire, which I why I'm surprised I've never heard anything (not that I was looking, but with the internet today it's increasingly hard NOT to hear about stuff)>
mrdazzo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:24 PM   #26
TIVOSciolist
Bye to High Society

What a waste of a talented, articulate individual.

I do have some concerns about him being cited for contempt for the emails. Third parties write to judges all the time. For example, people send judges character reference letters in support of a defendant. Victims send letters to a judge right before a defendant is sentenced (e.g., the Madoff case).

Is sending an email that different from sending a letter? A computer-savvy generation is more likely to answer "no."
TIVOSciolist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:21 PM   #27
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
A federal judge found TV pitchman Kevin Trudeau in contempt of court Friday for failing to pay a multimillion-dollar fine stemming from fraudulent infomercials and ordered him to transfer all of his hidden assets to a court-appointed receiver or risk going to jail.

A federal judge found TV pitchman Kevin Trudeau in contempt of court Friday for failing to pay a multimillion-dollar fine stemming from fraudulent infomercials and ordered him to transfer all of his hidden assets to a court-appointed receiver or risk going to jail.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...0,787730.story
Evidently the narcissistic bastard was smiling when he left court because he wasn't going to jail...for now.
UVerse and OTA

Old 07-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #28
DouglasPHill

I got involved in an MLM years ago that he was involved in. He could sell ice to an Eskimo. He really has no need to stray from legitimate business.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:12 AM   #29
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasPHill View Post
I got involved in an MLM years ago that he was involved in. He could sell ice to an Eskimo. He really has no need to stray from legitimate business.
As in MLMs are legitimate businesses?

How much money did you lose?...or should I ask, how much product do you still have?
UVerse and OTA

Old 07-28-2013, 11:22 AM   #30
DouglasPHill

You read me wrong, my point was that he really is slick and could sell anything.