TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-07-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Amazing Race : OAD 10/6/2013

This is shaping up to be a really good season of TAR. IMO the first 2 legs have sent home what seemed to clearly be the 2 weakest teams, which is good. We've also had 2 legs in a row where the first team didn't get #1, which keeps things interesting.

I was surprised at how many teams opted for the needle in a haystack challenge. You'd think they would know better by now. That salty water sure looked nasty, though. I'm sure everyone who was in it wanted nothing more than a clean water shower after that!

The guy who punted the shoeshine challenge was cracking me up the whole time he was trying convince the vendor to let him do the work, to let him pack the cart, etc. Then when the bitchy girl was trying to tell him he was doing it wrong and him calling her the devil for her trouble. Hilarious.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
laria
Librocubicularist

Maybe it's because I have been watching a ton of Modern Family lately due to the syndication deal, but that team reminded me of Cam and Mitchell.

They were very poor racers from what we saw and definitely should have gone. I don't really have anyone that I'm rooting FOR yet, though. I guess the former football players... they are kind of funny and don't seem to be taking things too seriously. I guess the bearded hipsters are not bad either.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

My daughters said the Bingo team reminded them of Cam and Mitchell as well. I wasn't sad to see them go. They weren't going to be a factor in the race anyway.

There was some nice eye candy in this episode. I was also surprised at how many teams chose the Mining side of the detour. But maybe the clue didn't explain it well, because one of the teams seemed surprised that the tubs were already full of water and they just had to put salt in.

How big of wusses are the MLB wives? The one that didn't do the shoeshine roadblock said this leg was the hardest thing she'd ever done in her life. The only thing she did in this leg was carry some salt bags and get in some cold water. What was so hard about that? I predict they don't last much longer.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

I like the football players so far. They seem to be pretty good sports, at least through the first two episodes.

It was amazing to me that team bingo caught up after that serious bus blunder.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #5
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

I also like the footballers. They did look ridiculous on those bikes though!

I was thinking that there may be a later bus that was faster, but it was a shame that the language barrier caused the error for the Bingo boys. However, it's just like the 'read the clue' rule - be sure of EVERYTHING before you commit!
Old 10-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #6
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

That's a mistake that gets made every season, it seems like. Teams always try to get the first transportation LEAVING, when they should be focused more on the first transportation ARRIVING. The second bus must have made a ton of stops or broken down or something for the Bingo team to catch up like that.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
Ment

+1 eye candy survives 1+ she-devil survives. I'm going to love hating those EXes.

Episode two with swimsuits can't ever be bad!
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #8
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
My daughters said the Bingo team reminded them of Cam and Mitchell as well. I wasn't sad to see them go. They weren't going to be a factor in the race anyway.

There was some nice eye candy in this episode. I was also surprised at how many teams chose the Mining side of the detour. But maybe the clue didn't explain it well, because one of the teams seemed surprised that the tubs were already full of water and they just had to put salt in.

How big of wusses are the MLB wives? The one that didn't do the shoeshine roadblock said this leg was the hardest thing she'd ever done in her life. The only thing she did in this leg was carry some salt bags and get in some cold water. What was so hard about that? I predict they don't last much longer.
Have you ever rode on a bus for 24 hours? lol. They also had to mountain bike, I'm not sure how far they rode but riding and then lifting 50 pound bags when you're not a big person can be taxing.
JFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
Honora

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday View Post
Have you ever rode on a bus for 24 hours? lol. They also had to mountain bike, I'm not sure how far they rode but riding and then lifting 50 pound bags when you're not a big person can be taxing.
I liked the Team NFL's thinking that it would take an awful lot of salt to get their body masses to float, and that it would be faster to break some rock salt.
Honora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #10
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I had to laugh at the NHL girls' brief attempt to break the rocks. They were hitting the spike with about 2 lbs. of force. They were smart to switch to Brining.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #11
Squeak
An Inert Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
I was surprised at how many teams opted for the needle in a haystack challenge.
Was it really a needle in a haystack though? Seemed like every big rock had clue in it, you just had to work to get to it (as opposed to working hard with no potential outcome).
Old 10-07-2013, 12:51 PM   #12
Zephyr

Do you think "may be eliminated" ever translates to director's option?
Zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #13
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
Do you think "may be eliminated" ever translates to director's option?
They've said in the past that every non-elimination leg is pre-planned. I think Phil says "may" now almost every time was because early on he always said "will be eliminated" unless it was a non-elim and viewers quickly figured out when a leg was non-elim so to make it less of a spoiler he almost always says "may" now.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #14
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Yeah, it was quite unusual to hear Phil say "will be eliminated" last week (on the first ep of the season).
Old 10-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #15
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Quote:
The guy who punted the shoeshine challenge was cracking me up the whole time he was trying convince the vendor to let him do the work, to let him pack the cart, etc. Then when the bitchy girl was trying to tell him he was doing it wrong and him calling her the devil for her trouble. Hilarious.
It was hilarious..then Bingo guy just abandoned the poor shoeshine guy at the storage facility when he discovered it was wrong!

I also LOLed when the she-devil's teammate said he agreed with Bingo dude- BA HA HA! "It's ok, you are on my team, I can say that!"

I liked how one of the Afghanimals was calling one of the teams "Pinky and No-Brain" - awesome!

The Afghans need to kiss and make up-they can be a strong team if they get along! They can't be fighting with each other...it's only the 2nd leg-too soon for crabby back-and-forth!
Old 10-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #16
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

I obviously missed something. What is the "Bingo" association with the guys who went home last night?

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #17
nyc13

Quote:
I obviously missed something. What is the "Bingo" association with the guys who went home last night?
http://www.centerstageartists.com/artists/QueenofBingo/
nyc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #18
gschrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
Yeah, it was quite unusual to hear Phil say "will be eliminated" last week (on the first ep of the season).
I'm pretty sure he always says that on the first leg, it's just the legs after that he goes to "may". Makes sense, I seriously doubt they're going to have a non-elimination leg on the first leg.
gschrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #19
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschrock View Post
I'm pretty sure he always says that on the first leg, it's just the legs after that he goes to "may". Makes sense, I seriously doubt they're going to have a non-elimination leg on the first leg.
They've done it before.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #20
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
They've done it before.
Yep. The first leg in season 19 was non elimination. Also, in the season before that, which was an All-Star season, the first leg ended with a to be continued non pit stop so there wasn't a first episode elimination either.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #21
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
Maybe it's because I have been watching a ton of Modern Family lately due to the syndication deal, but that team reminded me of Cam and Mitchell.
YES!! I think the heavy set one reminds me of a cross between Cam and Lou Costello
Old 10-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #22
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honora View Post
I liked the Team NFL's thinking that it would take an awful lot of salt to get their body masses to float, and that it would be faster to break some rock salt.
I also liked the fact that they were just picking up the rock and smashing it to the ground instead of using the hammers and spikes.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #23
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
The judges were awfully generous on some of the 'Briners' floating. Several of them were still nearly sitting on the bottom.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #24
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Correct me if I'm wrong, but once they found out the "4:00 bus " wasn't really what they thought it was, they changed to a different bus that left just an hour or so after the second bus that they dissed, right? I was surprised to see that they bus they were on actually arrived, I think, like 19 minutes after the second one?
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #25
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but once they found out the "4:00 bus " wasn't really what they thought it was, they changed to a different bus that left just an hour or so after the second bus that they dissed, right? I was surprised to see that they bus they were on actually arrived, I think, like 19 minutes after the second one?
Yes, once they figured out their mistake, they asked for tickets on the bus that left next and were told it would leave in a couple hours and get in about 7-8 pm the next day, while the one they didn't take was supposed to get in about 6 pm the next day.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #26
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
The judges were awfully generous on some of the 'Briners' floating. Several of them were still nearly sitting on the bottom.
I got the impression at the shoe shine challenge that the judge at the storage room got more lax as the day went on. Maybe they wanted to close up and go home.

The same thing could have been in play for some of the briners.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:50 PM   #27
FrodoB

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
I got the impression at the shoe shine challenge that the judge at the storage room got more lax as the day went on. Maybe they wanted to close up and go home.
Or the footage of the mistakes was incredibly dull and/or didn't impact the outcome (i.e. "you made a mistake but the next team is 5 minutes behind and you fixed it in 30 seconds")...
FrodoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #28
verdugan

Quote:
Then when the bitchy girl was trying to tell him he was doing it wrong and him calling her the devil for her trouble. Hilarious.
I saw it differently. The bitchy girl was encouraging (commanding) the shoeshine guy not to do what the bingo guy was asking him to do.
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #29
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdugan View Post
I saw it differently. The bitchy girl was encouraging (commanding) the shoeshine guy not to do what the bingo guy was asking him to do.
Thats how I saw it too. She WAS being the devil!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:40 AM   #30
BluesFools

It seemed weird that Bingo-guy had a decent command of Spanish there - telling shoeshine guy not to listen to her, calling her the devil, pleading for him to stay for his mother, his father. And yet earlier he had trouble either asking what time the bus arrived, or understanding the response. He was discussing all that in English, leading to the confusion. I think if I were going to learn some Spanish phrases before going on TAR, then "what time does the bus arrive" would be way up on my priority list, ahead of "she's the devil".
BluesFools is offline   Reply With Quote