TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-31-2014, 02:41 PM   #1
marklyn

Will a TWC channel line up change (combining HD/SD channels) cause me an issue?

My local TWC cable system in Austin is changing the channel lineup in March and basically combining the SD/HD channels such that instead of having an equivalent HD channel for a SD channel, there will now be one new channel. The online FAQ's mentions this here:
Where can I find HD channels?
The new lineup is no longer broken up by HD and SD channels. HD converters will show you the best signal available of a channel or program, which is usually HD. SD converters, meanwhile, will show only SD channels.

So will my Roamio plus, cable card and tuning adapter take care of this automatically for me, or is it possible that TWC's "HD Converters" mentioned above is what will be needed?
MOCA
CC: Sci Atl PK802
TA: Cisco STA1520
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
marklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:13 PM   #2
tatergator1

TWC has already done this in a few areas of New York. They're really just going to be changing channel maps based on your device. TWC HD boxes will only tune HD channels, SD boxes, SD channels. A CableCard falls under an "HD Device" so they'll just be updating the channel maps for the CableCard and Tuning adapter so that whether you enter the SD or HD channel number, you'll always be pointed to the QAM frequency with the HD version. The Guide will probably be screwy for a week or so. There will likely be a temporary "Digital Rebuild" choice for your area when doing Guided Setup when the change happens and you'll probably have to switch to that temporarily.

Bottom line, you don't need anything from TWC, but you may need to play games with your Guide and Season Passes for a week or two until everything settles out.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:18 PM   #3
marklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
TWC has already done this in a few areas of New York. They're really just going to be changing channel maps based on your device. TWC HD boxes will only tune HD channels, SD boxes, SD channels. A CableCard falls under an "HD Device" so they'll just be updating the channel maps for the CableCard and Tuning adapter so that whether you enter the SD or HD channel number, you'll always be pointed to the QAM frequency with the HD version. The Guide will probably be screwy for a week or so. There will likely be a temporary "Digital Rebuild" choice for your area when doing Guided Setup when the change happens and you'll probably have to switch to that temporarily.

Bottom line, you don't need anything from TWC, but you may need to play games with your Guide and Season Passes for a week or two until everything settles out.
OK, I think I understand a bit more.
So on the new channel map there are lots of channels listed in the LOW numbers that are also listed in the higher numbers. Doe that mean if I try to tune in my local ABC station on channel 3 (also 1203) that it will automatically go to the 1203 channel for HD?
MOCA
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
Old 01-31-2014, 03:32 PM   #4
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklyn View Post
OK, I think I understand a bit more.
So on the new channel map there are lots of channels listed in the LOW numbers that are also listed in the higher numbers. Doe that mean if I try to tune in my local ABC station on channel 3 (also 1203) that it will automatically go to the 1203 channel for HD?
I'm not too well versed on how TWC is doing it, since it hasn't happened in my region yet, but my understanding is that their goal is to get back to a more compact channel lineup by eliminating the use of high numbers for HD. Whether you have an HD set or an SD set, Channel 3 is what you would enter. I actually think 1203 and the like go away for HD equipment. At least that's my understanding.

Last edited by tatergator1 : 01-31-2014 at 03:38 PM.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:34 PM   #5
marklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
I'm not too well versed on how TWC is doing it, since it hasn't happened in my region yet, but my understanding is that their goal is to get back to a more compact channel lineup by eliminating the use of high numbers for HD. Whether you have an HD set or an SD set, Channel 3 is what you would enter. I actually think 1203 and the like go away for HD equipment. At least that's my understanding.
Actually the new lineup has only the local channels listed as SD and HD channels so I'm not sure what's going on. I'll have to wait and see.
MOCA
TimeWarner Cable-Austin