TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-28-2014, 12:16 PM   #1
EdwPowers

Arrow S03 errors, AGAIN!

After years of good service, I started getting a S03 error on one of my TiVoHD last August. I did the C&DE and all was well again. However, the same TiVoHD is getting the error again. Will a new drive eliminate this?

After doing more research here,I see several mentions of putting the TA on a timer so the TiVoHD can do GC. Does this work? Will it correct the current S03 condition or do I need to do the C&DE before implementing the timer?
EdwPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:31 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Doing CD&E is the wrong thing to do for S03 errors. S03 means the data downloaded was not properly used and to make a few Tivo connects.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:33 PM   #3
EdwPowers

That is the first I heard that about S03 and C&DE. I did it before based on advice I saw here. And it did fix the problem.

Prior to the S03 errors this time, I got numerous "connection interrupted". Some times it would take several efforts to be successful. the first time I was getting the S03, it was following many errors saying data would run out even though data was past that date. A reboot would fix until I finally got the S03. The C&DE did fix it then.

After posting my original message, I unplugged the TA. Maybe TiVoHD can do it's GC as others have said. I have not yet plugged it in again but will update here when I do.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:20 PM   #4
rsnaider

In the past when I had this on my series 2 boxes I would restart the box and immediately force a connection. Almost always this fixed the issue.

TiVo Roamio Pro
TiVo Premier - WD 1TB Expander
TiVo Premier XL
TiVo Premier Elite
TiVo Mini
rsnaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:37 PM   #5
EdwPowers

I rebooted the TiVoHD and plugged in the TA. So far, nothing but "connection interrupted". I think the S03 happens later so I not know if the GC happened to fix my problem or not.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:48 AM   #6
unitron

DO NOT RISK GOING INTO GUIDED SETUP!

Did I mention that reacting to an S03 error by doing anything that could throw you into Guided Setup is a really bad idea?

What you want is Clear program information and To Do List.

Not Clear & Delete everything.

That'll dump you into Guided Setup, and once in, the only way out is forward, but S03 means you're already having trouble dowloading and digesting program guide data, so that's probably where you'll get stuck.

And if you have a Tuning Adapter, somehow it interferes with Garbage Collection, so you need to take it out of the equation some of the time.

Search this site for "lamp timer".

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:19 AM   #7
EdwPowers

The C&DE before was okay by me. It fixed the problem before, even though I had to redo Guided Setup. The only issue was I had to redo the cablecard. But at least that process is simpler now. I even did it with both TiVoHDs.

I guess the lamp timers will work. After unplugging the TA yesterday, I finally got a successful download without a S03. So, off to get some lamp timers. And thanks again to TCF members, it seems I have resolved my issues.

My only question now is why did I not have the problem for 2 years after first getting the TAs but then have the problem recur a second time in less than 6 months.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:01 PM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwPowers View Post
The C&DE before was okay by me. It fixed the problem before, even though I had to redo Guided Setup. The only issue was I had to redo the cablecard. But at least that process is simpler now. I even did it with both TiVoHDs.

I guess the lamp timers will work. After unplugging the TA yesterday, I finally got a successful download without a S03. So, off to get some lamp timers. And thanks again to TCF members, it seems I have resolved my issues.

My only question now is why did I not have the problem for 2 years after first getting the TAs but then have the problem recur a second time in less than 6 months.

Because you have gremlins.

Are you on TWC?

Old 01-29-2014, 11:31 PM   #9
EdwPowers

No, Brighthouse-Central Florida.

Another question: After I get the lamp timers, how long should the TA's be off daily to satisfy the GC requirement?
Old 01-30-2014, 12:04 AM   #10
unitron

Quote:
No, Brighthouse-Central Florida.

Another question: After I get the lamp timers, how long should the TA's be off daily to satisfy the GC requirement?
Read through the last 10 pages or so of this thread

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=472857

to get an idea of what those with the problem have worked out.

(I'm still on analog cable, so never had to mess with it)

Old 01-30-2014, 08:28 AM   #11
EdwPowers

Speaking of analog, mine goes away any day now. I had to get digital adapters for a couple of my TVs. I not complain too much though. The TVs are HD so that gives me more HD channels.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:26 PM   #12
EdwPowers

I started reading that thread when it was new. But I did not have the problem then. A restart was all I needed. I had forgotten about the thread later. It is nice revisiting it for the updated info now. Thank you for the link.

Still without timers, I manually unplugged my TAs. Later after plugging them back in, the message saying a TA had been connected seemed to stay on forever. When I put these on the timers, will I have those messages to look forward to everyday? If the messages don't get cleared, will that impact any scheduled recordings?
Old 01-31-2014, 12:59 AM   #13
unitron

Quote:
Speaking of analog, mine goes away any day now. I had to get digital adapters for a couple of my TVs. I not complain too much though. The TVs are HD so that gives me more HD channels.
When you say digital adapters, do you mean cable cards to enable you to receive digital cable?

And if you weren't already getting it, why would you have a TA?

Old 01-31-2014, 07:49 AM   #14
EdwPowers

I have 2 older TiVos is my bedrooms, a Series2DT and a Series2ST. They are rarely used, as well as the TVs are not used much. Previously, they used only the analog channels, 2-99. However, by March here, Brighthouse is doing away with all the analog channels.

So, to get any channels in those rooms, I need either a full cable box or what they call a digital adapter. They have been discussed here in TCF but I not remember what they are called here. The boxes are basically mini cable boxes that provide most of the digital channels that do no require a TA. Brighthouse is providing 2 of the boxes free for a year. You are lucky if your cable company has not deleted analog yet, especially if that is all you use. There have been many other areas to have that done before here.

The problem I originally wrote about here is for my 2 TiVoHDs in my living room that do use cablecards and TAs.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:18 PM   #15
unitron

Quote:
I have 2 older TiVos is my bedrooms, a Series2DT and a Series2ST. They are rarely used, as well as the TVs are not used much. Previously, they used only the analog channels, 2-99. However, by March here, Brighthouse is doing away with all the analog channels.

So, to get any channels in those rooms, I need either a full cable box or what they call a digital adapter. They have been discussed here in TCF but I not remember what they are called here. The boxes are basically mini cable boxes that provide most of the digital channels that do no require a TA. Brighthouse is providing 2 of the boxes free for a year. You are lucky if your cable company has not deleted analog yet, especially if that is all you use. There have been many other areas to have that done before here.

The problem I originally wrote about here is for my 2 TiVoHDs in my living room that do use cablecards and TAs.

Around here TWC is deleting analog a few channels at a time.

The boxes they give/lend you for your S2s should have cable card and tuning adapter functionality built in.

When they took SPEED of off analog and offered a free box for 6 months I got one just to play with.

Rube Goldberg could set up something that changes channels faster.

Assuming (in the case of SDV and what they call "on demand") that the channel is there to be changed to in the first place.