TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #1
klyde

Tivo HD and Premier not showing in my Network

I have a direct TV and a Tivo Premier and a Tivo HD, all connected to the same router. They have always shown up in my network until today. I had uploaded movies from my pc to the tivos without problems. (save the normal ones)

Now I can not see the tivo's on my computer network map and I can not see my computer on either tivo. I do see the direct tv recorder on my home network, and I don't see my home network on my tivo's. I have rebooted everything and to no avail. I have also done a reconfigure of the tivo's network connection. They are connected.

Any ideas?
klyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by klyde View Post
I have a direct TV and a Tivo Premier and a Tivo HD, all connected to the same router. They have always shown up in my network until today. I had uploaded movies from my pc to the tivos without problems. (save the normal ones)

Now I can not see the tivo's on my computer network map and I can not see my computer on either tivo. I do see the direct tv recorder on my home network, and I don't see my home network on my tivo's. I have rebooted everything and to no avail. I have also done a reconfigure of the tivo's network connection. They are connected.

Any ideas?
Broken record time.

If you haven't already, give everything on your home network that doesn't leave the house a fixed IP address that's outside of the router's DHCP address pool (which doesn't need to be more than 2 or 3 addresses larger than it needs to be for the stuff that does leave the house).

Can't hurt, might help.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
klyde

I don't know what you mean by the broken record comment, but it doesn't sound helpful.
I rolled the computer back to the last update.
Then I pinged the tivo and I logged in to it by typing the ip address in a browser.
Then I restarted tivo desktop and the laptop appeared on the tivo, but the tive does not show on the laptop network places.
klyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by klyde View Post
I don't know what you mean by the broken record comment, but it doesn't sound helpful.
I rolled the computer back to the last update.
Then I pinged the tivo and I logged in to it by typing the ip address in a browser.
Then I restarted tivo desktop and the laptop appeared on the tivo, but the tive does not show on the laptop network places.
Broken record (old saying relating to phonograph records that had a place where the stylus would hit and jump back one rotation's worth of groove--which led to the joke about the automated airliner where the recorded pilot's voice said "Nothing can go wrong-CLICK-go wrong-CLICK-go wrong...", in other words, repetition of something over and over again, as in "I hate to sound like a broken record, but...") means I've made the same fixed IP address suggestion many times before around here.

It's solved the problem for some people--I don't know of anyone for whom it made things any worse.

Ordinarily, outside of pinging or https access via browser, a TiVo isn't going to "show up" on a PC except in an application, like TiVo Desktop's "Pick Shows To Transfer", specifically looking for it.

(and unless they're running some sort of specific program, like TiVo Desktop, that knows how to advertise them, PCs aren't going to show up in Now Playing lists either)

Your laptop may show up if you click on "Network Neighborhood" on your desktop PC, and vice versa, but not your TiVo. But then again, neither will your router, probably, but if you know enough to be messing with it in the first place, you know how to access it.

TiVos get their IP address either by getting it set at the TiVo, and then telling the network "Here I am, I'm 192.168.1.13" or whatever, or they enter into a dialogue with the router to get an address assigned to them, either next available number in the router's DHCP pool, or one that's been pre-assigned at the router to issue to the TiVo's particular and unique MAC number.

My way of doing it eliminates that dialogue, and thereby eliminates the chance of anything going wrong during that dialogue.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:22 PM   #5
steve614
what ru lookin at?

If you are using Tivo Desktop, try changing the discovery protocol.

That setting is in the Tivo Server Properties, under the Network tab.

BTW, do the Tivos see each other?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote