TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-24-2013, 12:01 PM   #1
mcomer

Streaming live to iPad - why is a recording created?

Apologies if this has been discussed already - my quick search did not turn up anything.

I love that I can stream not only recordings but LIVE TV to my iPad - primarily for keeping up with a couple of sports events (otherwise why not just record one and watch the other right, as discussed in the various PIP threads?). Sports IMHO is the one scenario where this is really nice.

That being said, why does my Roamio Plus need to start a recording in order to stream one tuner? My Mini can grab a tuner and stream WITHOUT a recording, so why would streaming to the iPad require a dummy recording being created? It's slightly frustrating having to delete the unwanted recording when done. (Ok, admittedly this is a nice-to-have-first-world-problem.) Still though, I wonder why the built-in Stream can't just grab a tuner like the Mini can? Does anyone know if Tivo has every said anything about this?
mcomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
jmpage2

Your Mini does not require that the video be trans-coded to a different format. The iPad does.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
HarperVision

So why not do it on the fly like other devices can?
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #4
moyekj

Yes it's pretty stupid. It's just a question of Stream being able to borrow a tuner like the Mini can to stream live TV which it probably can't do right now. Even if TiVo were considering implementing it that way though, the 2 tuner Premiere units would be out of the running, and unless 4 tuner series 4 units get Dynamic Tuning Allocation, they would be ineligible as well. I suppose TiVo could just choose to fix this when streaming from series 5 units, but that would probably generate complaints. So given the issues at hand I can see why it remains implemented the way it is now.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:09 PM   #5
NJguy

I wondered the same thing. It does make sense now. Don't like it but it makes sense. maybe I need to just go buy a larger hard drive because once they allow you to view out of the home I'm going to need it!
NJguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #6
lickwid

One thing I noticed, which is a bit annoying, is if you're watching a live sports broadcast, it'll cut off and stop playing once it hits the scheduled ending time. No extra hour buffer by default. For example, I was watching the A's baseball game last night, and at exactly 10pm, it stopped recording and so I had to start a new recording for the A's postgame show to watch the rest of the game.

This is streaming to an 3rd gen iPad btw.
lickwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yeah it's basically a macro right now. It records whatever is currently playing according to the guide and then starts streaming that recording. As soon as the recording ends the stream stops.

With the Minis doing DTA now it seems like it should be possible for them to add similar functionality to the Stream. However as moyekj pointed out there would be some issues with 2 tuner units.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #8
anthonymoody

I still use my cable co app (Cablevision) on my iPad bc frankly it's quicker to get right to a live station, change channels, etc. and it doesn't create recordings. But you can't stream out of the home.
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #9
dslunceford

Glad I found this thread...was wondering it myself. Think this will be very annoying if looking to stream live tv, especially if you channel surf, as the recording continues even after dropping the stream (think sick kid in bed watching from an iPad).

If a stream is requested, couldn't the software flag the recording (which wasn't requested to record) for immediate deletion afterward?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

dslunceford is offline   Reply With Quote