TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
FredT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 26
Some questions on using my new Roamio

I've been using a Mac with EyeTV and Apple TVs for several years for my DVR duties and so got used to things being a certain way. So getting started with TiVo is a learning experience. For the most part it's been good. But there are some deficiencies that I haven't figured out yet, and I don't know if it's because I'm missing something or that they just can't be done.

1. Season Passes - This is easy and looks to be better than EyeTV. But there are a couple of scenarios that don't work for me. First, for daily programs that I only want recorded on one day. An example is PBS News Hour. I only want to record it on Friday. EyeTV would let me set up the recording on Friday and then specify that it recurs weekly. Second, daily shows that are aired twice. An example is BBC news, which airs at 2:30 and repeats at 4. I only want to record the one at 4. Are there any way to get around these problems?

2. Organization - There are shows that my wife watches, others that I watch, and yet others that we both watch. Is there any way to group shows into folders?

3. Recording that have been viewed - My wife is not very good at housekeeping (TV shows, not the house!) and depends on my to clean up and get rid of old shows. But I don't see any indicator of whether a recording has been viewed or not. I must be missing something, because this would seem like a pretty obvious feature.

I guess that's all for now. I love the iPad app. I just wish it would allow Airplay, because I'd love to be able to watch on my Mac.
FredT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #2
moon_tower
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 19
I'll try to help.
1. There are a couple of ways. You can set a season pass to record first run only. That way it only records the first one and no repeats. However, sometimes if the data is flawed from the guide, this will not work. It is common for PBS shows or Comedy Central shows to all be new. The most sure way is to do a manual recording. You can set one for weekly or daily. The only time this messes up is when the schedule changes because your TiVo will not adjust; it will continue with the same set time.

2. You can only group into folders by show. You can't do his and hers.

3. I don't think you are missing anything. TiVo does not keep up with viewed or not viewed. Keep in mind TiVo will housekeep itself if it gets full. It will start deleting the oldest shows unless you mark them keep until I delete. If you mark everything like that, it will then stop recording when full.
moon_tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
jrtroo
User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,354
Tivo knows if a show repeats, so long as the guide data is good, and will record it only once. Your BBC news example (230/400) is irrelevant to the Tivo.

The tivo does not keep a record of what has been viewed. I have never even seen this as a request from new users, interesting, but it seems like a lot of variances could take place, such as if it was watched live, from another source (mini, other Tivo), or was only started and not finished or was ffw and not deleted.
__________________
TiVo Owner
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #4
FredT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by moon_tower View Post
I'll try to help.
1. There are a couple of ways. You can set a season pass to record first run only. That way it only records the first one and no repeats. However, sometimes if the data is flawed from the guide, this will not work. It is common for PBS shows or Comedy Central shows to all be new. The most sure way is to do a manual recording. You can set one for weekly or daily. The only time this messes up is when the schedule changes because your TiVo will not adjust; it will continue with the same set time.

2. You can only group into folders by show. You can't do his and hers.

3. I don't think you are missing anything. TiVo does not keep up with viewed or not viewed. Keep in mind TiVo will housekeep itself if it gets full. It will start deleting the oldest shows unless you mark them keep until I delete. If you mark everything like that, it will then stop recording when full.
Thanks. Manual recording was what I was looking for. I kept looking in the recording settings from the listings, did not expect it in Settings. I'll give the BBC Season Pass a try and see what happens. As for others, guess we'll have to try to adjust. We're old and don't like change!
FredT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
HarperVision
Registered User
 
HarperVision's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 958
I think the show font is in BOLD if the show hasn't been watched yet. You can try setting the season pass to only record one show maximum so then it will record each day, but replace it with the newest one when it airs, so Friday's show will be the only one on your TiVo when you go to watch it later that night (or weekend?).
__________________
Dave Harper
Director, Event Technology
ISF, CTS
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
HarperVision
Registered User
 
HarperVision's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 958
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredT View Post
Thanks. Manual recording was what I was looking for. I kept looking in the recording settings from the listings, did not expect it in Settings. I'll give the BBC Season Pass a try and see what happens. As for others, guess we'll have to try to adjust. We're old and don't like change!
Then why did you go away from using the eyeTV?
__________________
Dave Harper
Director, Event Technology
ISF, CTS
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #7
FredT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Then why did you go away from using the eyeTV?
Ah, yes, well it was the little matter of Comcast encrypting limited basic service. Clear QAM went away, so my tuners no longer work, and so neither does EyeTV. I could get a tuner that uses CableCard and put Windows on my Mac, but I decided that that was too much trouble.
FredT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #8
FredT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Tivo knows if a show repeats, so long as the guide data is good, and will record it only once. Your BBC news example (230/400) is irrelevant to the Tivo.
Well, it recorded both shows. I'll just set it to keep one show, then I assume I'll only get the later recording.
FredT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #9
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless
 
wmcbrine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 8,929
TiVo does keep track of which shows are partially viewed. That is to say, it keeps a bookmark for each show. If the bookmark is at zero (unplayed), the menu says "Play" when you select the show; otherwise, it's "Resume Playing".

The bookmark gets reset when you exit the show within the last, IIRC, five minutes. In this case, you also get a prompt to keep the show, or delete it. The simplest way to manage your shows is to delete them right from there when you're done watching them.

Or, you could just let the TiVo handle it. The TiVo will automatically delete old shows as new ones come in, once it runs out of space. It's designed to not require a lot of manual management.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |