TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #1
thessaloniki

Change Tivo recordings folder

I'm certain this has been asked many times, but cannot find the thread despite numerous searches.

I want to change the folder where Tivo recordings are stored to a removable drive (SD card or USB flash drive). Tivo desktop will not allow me to do so (OK button grayed out).

Similarly, existing recordings in the Tivo folder cannot be copied to removable media.

Any guidance welcome. Sorry for posting such a basic question.
thessaloniki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #2
windracer
joined the 10k club

You may need to create symbolic link to get TiVo Desktop to use your external drive. See this thread for details:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=484415

As for copying files to removable media, that should work (just a normal file copy) ... what kind of problem are you having?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #3
thessaloniki

Thank you for the quick response.

Regarding the removable media, what I really want is to record to the SD card, but can't. So I'll settle for moving the .tivo files from the C: drive over, better than nothing. Unless there is some way to record directly?

However when I try to move a roughly 4GB tivo file from C: to at 16GB SD card with 14GB free, I get "the file (name of TV program) is too large for the destination file system".

When I read this error message again carefully in order to respond to your post, I realized the SD card is formatted as FAT32, which has some sort of file size limitation. I reformatted to NTSF, and that problem went away. Sorry.

So, is there anyway to record directly to removable media? Thanks.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
windracer
joined the 10k club

By "record" I assume you mean "transfer" via TiVo Desktop? Did you try the symbolic link solution I posted above?

And yes, FAT32 has a 4gb file limit, so that explains the other issue.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
You may need to create symbolic link to get TiVo Desktop to use your external drive. See this thread for details:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=484415

As for copying files to removable media, that should work (just a normal file copy) ... what kind of problem are you having?
So how does a symbolic link differ from what XP would call a "shortcut"?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
So how does a symbolic link differ from what XP would call a "shortcut"?
http://superuser.com/questions/25393...k-and-shortcut

This link has a very good answer.
As far as TiVo Desktop is concerned, it can't tell that the symbolic link points off computer, so it can't prevent the user from selecting the link.
CuriousMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #7
SugarBowl

You may want to download and install kmttg. It will also transfer the files from your TiVo, into any folder. It can remove the encryption also, so you just have an mpg file that can play anywhere.

http://sourceforge.net/p/kmttg/wiki/Home/
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:21 PM   #8
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

You can convert FAT32 to NTFS, open a Cmd prompt window and type:

Convert drive: /fs:ntfs
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #9
thessaloniki

I am no longer a very accomplished user at the command prompt level (in the DOS days I actually remembered how to do this stuff), so it is probably operator error.

I cannot get the symbolic link syntax correct in Windows 8. Keep getting "the syntax of the command is incorrect." I have tried many variations on it, and none will take. I am logged on as administrator and see this prompt:

C:\windows\system32>

Here is what I think command should be (does not work with the /d option either):

mklink /j “C:\Users\Paul\Documents\My TiVo Recordings” “F:\Tivo recordings”

According to Tivo desktop, the recordings reside at C:\Users\Paul\Documents\My TiVo Recordings. So that is the "link".

I want to link to the removable SD card, which is the F: drive. I created a "Tivo recordings" folder there. So that is the "target".

I understand the quote marks "" are required because there are spaces in the path name (still get a syntax error with the quote marks omitted).

I do get the syntax menu when I enter "mklink /?" at the command prompt, so that at least works.

Can't figure out where the error is.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #10
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

The easiest way to make a shortcut link is in Windows Explorer, go to the folder you want it in.

File menu -> new -> shortcut

A new window will show up and just fill in the blanks (or browse) with your older names/paths.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:05 AM   #11
socrplyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
The easiest way to make a shortcut link is in Windows Explorer, go to the folder you want it in.

A new window will show up and just fill in the blanks (or browse) with your older names/paths.
He is in no way shape or form making a shortcut.

In windows a shortcut is a file that tells explorer (windows or internet) to go here when clicked on in the GUI.

Symbolic links are a much lower level link. For example, if I link C:\TivoFiles to C:\Users\MyName\My Documents\TivoFiles, all folders, subfolders, and files in the latter appear to exist in the former. It is almost as if you have made a copy. However, if you edit C:\TivoFiles\importantFile.txt, it only really exists in one place, so it changes for both "places". This is incredibly useful in software development and lets you "trick" your way around things. In this case, they are tricking their way around Tivo Desktop not allowing the use of external drives.
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:16 AM   #12
socrplyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by thessaloniki View Post
I am no longer a very accomplished user at the command prompt level (in the DOS days I actually remembered how to do this stuff), so it is probably operator error.

I cannot get the symbolic link syntax correct in Windows 8. Keep getting "the syntax of the command is incorrect." I have tried many variations on it, and none will take. I am logged on as administrator and see this prompt:

C:\windows\system32>

Here is what I think command should be (does not work with the /d option either):

mklink /j “C:\Users\Paul\Documents\My TiVo Recordings” “F:\Tivo recordings”

According to Tivo desktop, the recordings reside at C:\Users\Paul\Documents\My TiVo Recordings. So that is the "link".

I want to link to the removable SD card, which is the F: drive. I created a "Tivo recordings" folder there. So that is the "target".

I understand the quote marks "" are required because there are spaces in the path name (still get a syntax error with the quote marks omitted).

I do get the syntax menu when I enter "mklink /?" at the command prompt, so that at least works.

Can't figure out where the error is.
I was unable to make links with spaces in the names. Unfortunate, but I am checking if there is a way around that.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:20 AM   #13
socrplyr

Try
mklink /J C:\"Users\Paul\Documents\My TiVo Recordings” F:\"Tivo recordings”
or
cd C:\
cd Users\Paul\Documents
mklink /J "My TiVo Recordings” F:\"Tivo recordings”

The command prompt has always been funky about <letter>:\

Also, I am not up on windows symbolic links, so I don't know the difference between /D or /J. If one makes it work, it won't matter which for what you are trying to do.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:09 AM   #14
thessaloniki

Unfortunately neither of these works:

mklink /J C:\"Users\Paul\Documents\My TiVo Recordings” F:\"Tivo recordings”
or
cd Users\Paul\Documents
mklink /J "My TiVo Recordings” F:\"Tivo recordings”

The problem might be somewhere in the file name path when there are spaces included, but can't figure out where.

Very good article here on mklink: [sevenforums.com/tutorials/278262-mklink-create-use-links-windows.html (forum will not allow me to post an actual link)

It states in section (4)1 "A file or a folder with the name of the intended Link name may not exist". If you look at Part 3: Practical Examples section it again indicates the link cannot exist. However when I rename the My Tivo Recordings folder (so it no longer exists) and try to mklink, same result, syntax error.

However if I enter the following command, with neither the link nor the target folder existing, it does work (and creates the "test" folder in Documents, but nothing I can find on the F drive SD card):

Mklink /j C:\Users\Paul\Documents\test F:\test

I get the "junction created" message showing the link is there. Thus I have administrator privilege required to execute such a command.

So, I learned a lot about a command I had never even heard of before today, but still can't get it to work in this particular situation.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:48 AM   #15
socrplyr

I have no idea why that doesn't work. I had done:
mklink /J "test 3" F:\"a b"
That works...
Anyways. I am pretty sure the following method will work.
mklink /J C:\Users\Paul\Documents\temp F:\"Tivo recordings”
or
cd Users\Paul\Documents
mklink /J temp F:\"Tivo recordings”

Then navigate there in the windows GUI. Rename temp to "My TiVo Recordings"

Very dumb, but it just doesn't seem to like two sets of quotes.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #16
thessaloniki

Well, partial success. The mklink /J C:\Users\Paul\Documents\temp F:\"Tivo recordings” did work, and created the link. I then renamed the temp folder to My Tivo Recordings.

However the Tivo Desktop really didn't like this when I tried to open it. Kept getting a "can't access folder" error message with no way to break out of the error message loop (killed application in task manager). Could not un-do the changes so that Tivo was happy or even correct the issue with system restore. Finally uninstalled and reinstalled the Tivo desktop, and it worked again.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #17
socrplyr

Hmm that is very weird. Just out of curiosity did you try /D instead of /J? It might make a difference on the link type. Although, I think /J is probably the one you want. If /D works though, it works...
It might be time to look into kmttg if that doesn't work. It isn't as pretty but it can do a heck of a lot more than Tivo Desktop.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:24 PM   #18
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post

That works fine for what I do, which is to put folders in the "My TiVo Recordings" folder that are actually shortcuts to other hard drives on the same machine--or to a Buffalo LinkStation if I wanted to.

But that's with the MTR folder itself on a hard drive on the same computer that's running Desktop.

What the OP wants is to have the MTR folder itself on a removable "drive", and apparently Windows gives it a designation that Desktop doesn't consider "kosher".

I think I've got some experimenting to do, to see if something can be tricked into something.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote