TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
pablopsd

S3 upgrade help please.

Hey Everyone,
Forgive me if i posted in the wrong spot. I'm 99.9% sure my hard drive died, as it was making a racket, and it will not show up or be recognized in any computer either. My Series 3 was completely stock, never hacked, so i did not have a disk image. I found and purchased instant cake, which was a waste of time and money. I did find a link on these forums to an S3 image for WinMFS and MFS live. I had a 500GB drive just laying here so i used WinMFS to put the image onto the new drive. I thought i had success, as i was able to go through the whole setup process, but i had to do the delete and clear everything to set everything with my service which is lifetime on this unit. Now it hangs at the welcome power on screen. I pulled the drive and WinMFS said it wasn't a Tivo drive. I also tried another 500BG drive, both times expanding the drive when asked if I want to. That one as well will not even get through the initial setup. I did download the truncated image again, to be sure that nothing had happened to it. and did the drive over again. Again i was able to go through the setup, but when clear and delete, it hangs on the welcome screen. Have tried some kickstarts, but those don't seem to be working at all. I am using Parallels on an iMac with XP. Not sure if that may be part of my issue? I can boot off of the ISO for MSFlive, but not having another drive to clone, doesn't help me. Im not sure what i can do with the image i found on this forum for MSFlive? I thought you had to have 2 drives? Sorry for the lengthy post. I'm hesitant to spend the money on a preformated drive, if the same thing will happen to that when i install it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul
pablopsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
wtkflhn

You haven't said what brand of drive this is. TIVO's are picky about what kind of drive you use. Western Digital is the best kind. I would get a drive from Weaknees, a sponsor of this forum. I have had several drives from them and never had a problem. They will send you the tools to change the drive and instructions how to do it. They will also give you some tech support if you have a problem.
Good luck.
wtkflhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablopsd View Post
Hey Everyone,
Forgive me if i posted in the wrong spot. I'm 99.9% sure my hard drive died, as it was making a racket, and it will not show up or be recognized in any computer either. My Series 3 was completely stock, never hacked, so i did not have a disk image. I found and purchased instant cake, which was a waste of time and money. I did find a link on these forums to an S3 image for WinMFS and MFS live. I had a 500GB drive just laying here so i used WinMFS to put the image onto the new drive. I thought i had success, as i was able to go through the whole setup process, but i had to do the delete and clear everything to set everything with my service which is lifetime on this unit. Now it hangs at the welcome power on screen. I pulled the drive and WinMFS said it wasn't a Tivo drive. I also tried another 500BG drive, both times expanding the drive when asked if I want to. That one as well will not even get through the initial setup. I did download the truncated image again, to be sure that nothing had happened to it. and did the drive over again. Again i was able to go through the setup, but when clear and delete, it hangs on the welcome screen. Have tried some kickstarts, but those don't seem to be working at all. I am using Parallels on an iMac with XP. Not sure if that may be part of my issue? I can boot off of the ISO for MSFlive, but not having another drive to clone, doesn't help me. Im not sure what i can do with the image i found on this forum for MSFlive? I thought you had to have 2 drives? Sorry for the lengthy post. I'm hesitant to spend the money on a preformated drive, if the same thing will happen to that when i install it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul
If you can get the Ultimate Boot CD to boot your iMac, run the manufacturer's diagnostic long test on that 500GB drive, just to be sure there's nothing physically wrong with it.

Do you have a TCD648250, a TCD652160, or a TCD658000?

Have you carefully examined the power supply capacitors?

All of those models (and the S2s before them) are subject to power supply problems due to faulty capacitors (Google "capacitor plague").

When using WinMFS, allow me to suggest that after restoring the image you decline the offer to expand, then click on mfsinfo to make sure everything looks okay, and test it in the TiVo.

If all is well, you can return it to the computer and run mfsadd to expand.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
pablopsd

Hey Guys,
It is a 648250 original Series 3. I have tried 2 Western Digital drives, both 500GB. I looked over the power supply somewhat, but if it ain't made out of wood, it all looks the same to me! LOL! I didn't see anything extremely obvious on the capacitors. I did look at the status after formatting the drive and it all checked out OK with WinMFS. That was what I did this AM and it went in, and did the full setup then froze after doing the clear and delete step. Could that be signs of power supply issues? Obviously something affected the drive to begin with, although it just could have been age.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:48 AM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Hey Guys,
It is a 648250 original Series 3. I have tried 2 Western Digital drives, both 500GB. I looked over the power supply somewhat, but if it ain't made out of wood, it all looks the same to me! LOL! I didn't see anything extremely obvious on the capacitors. I did look at the status after formatting the drive and it all checked out OK with WinMFS. That was what I did this AM and it went in, and did the full setup then froze after doing the clear and delete step. Could that be signs of power supply issues? Obviously something affected the drive to begin with, although it just could have been age.
Are either or both of those WD drives Caviar Greens?

Old 10-04-2013, 10:49 AM   #6
pablopsd

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Are either or both of those WD drives Caviar Greens?
Yes. The one that was working to start then hanging up.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Yes. The one that was working to start then hanging up.
You need to read up on Intellipark, wdidle3.exe, and find a friend with a PC to which you can attach those drives' data cables straight to the SATA ports on the motherboard.

Disabling Intellipark, or setting the timeout period for something really long, like 300 seconds, may solve your problem.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #8
pablopsd

Wink

Quote:
You need to read up on Intellipark, wdidle3.exe, and find a friend with a PC to which you can attach those drives' data cables straight to the SATA ports on the motherboard.

Disabling Intellipark, or setting the timeout period for something really long, like 300 seconds, may solve your problem.
Or buy a drive preformatted from Weaknees....
Old 10-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #9
pablopsd

I also have a Seagate drive available. Think that would be better?
Old 10-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #10
sfhub

Isn't it easier to just try wdidle3.exe first before moving on to another drive?
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #11
pablopsd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub View Post
Isn't it easier to just try wdidle3.exe first before moving on to another drive?
Maybe, but need to get something to run it on. I may have an option, but if I don't kind of leaves me limited choices.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #12
unitron

Quote:
I also have a Seagate drive available. Think that would be better?
Since you're going to have to borrow a "real" PC to disable Intellipark, go ahead and try the Seagate and see if it works in the TiVo.

Turn down any offer to expand and test it in the TiVo first after restoring.

If it works, we can go from there.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #13
pablopsd

Smile

Quote:
Since you're going to have to borrow a "real" PC to disable Intellipark, go ahead and try the Seagate and see if it works in the TiVo.

Turn down any offer to expand and test it in the TiVo first after restoring.

If it works, we can go from there.
Ran UBCD with WDIDLE3 on my real MacPro from 2007 and it let me disable it. Installing now, will see how it goes. "real" PC ......

Good thing you seem like a nice guy!
Old 10-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #14
unitron

Quote:
Ran UBCD with WDIDLE3 on my real MacPro from 2007 and it let me disable it. Installing now, will see how it goes. "real" PC ......

Good thing you seem like a nice guy!
Let's see, which company was it that ran the ads being very explicit that Macs and PCs aren't the same? IBM? Nope, wasn't them, maybe Compaq/HP or Dell? Nope, not them either.

Darn it, it's right on the tip of my mind's tongue...

Old 10-04-2013, 06:14 PM   #15
pablopsd

Which one is smart enough to be able to run both, or all 3 with Linux.

In guided setup now. Will see.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #16
pablopsd

Went through guided setup, it was working fine. Did the clear and delete, and it didnt hang up. JUst a waiting game now to see how far we get. Says it may take up to an hour. Guess we will see if WDIDLE3 helped.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #17
pablopsd

Should there be some kind of screen on or display on the S3 during a clear and delete? I think its doing something, but i don't know?
Old 10-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #18
unitron

Quote:
Should there be some kind of screen on or display on the S3 during a clear and delete? I think its doing something, but i don't know?
If it's the same as the S2s, it should have a screen that looks like the boot screen, but has a lot more words about how it's doing a C&DE and it'll take an hour or 3 hours or whatever, and not to unplug it 'til it's back to the boot screen or something like that.

Although I have a vague memory of reading something around here a year or three ago about newer models not providing visual info on something that takes a long time.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #19
unitron

Quote:
Which one is smart enough to be able to run both, or all 3 with Linux.

In guided setup now. Will see.
Which one can you take the cover off of and hook directly to the SATA ports on?

Old 10-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #20
pablopsd

Quote:
Which one can you take the cover off of and hook directly to the SATA ports on?
Don't need to. MacPro has a nice panel with trays to pull out the drives. Booted right up and went right into what I needed. Pretty cool, except i had to dig to find the command lines! LOL!
Old 10-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #21
pablopsd

Quote:
If it's the same as the S2s, it should have a screen that looks like the boot screen, but has a lot more words about how it's doing a C&DE and it'll take an hour or 3 hours or whatever, and not to unplug it 'til it's back to the boot screen or something like that.

Although I have a vague memory of reading something around here a year or three ago about newer models not providing visual info on something that takes a long time.
I had a screen that said all that stuff, then it went off, and i am just waiting. The front of the unit says ready set Tivo, but no response from the remote or anything. I guess i just need to be patient. LIke i tell my son "Patience Grasshopper" I never got this far before BTW. I did not expand the drive, and i disabled the timer setting on HD. Seems different for sure. Thanks for all your help. Maybe i can return the favor someday.....if it works.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #22
unitron

Quote:
Don't need to. MacPro has a nice panel with trays to pull out the drives. Booted right up and went right into what I needed. Pretty cool, except i had to dig to find the command lines! LOL!
What I know about Apple computers these days is pretty much limited to what I hear around hear about how people looking to upgrade or fix a problem can't do what people with desktop PCs can, so I'm not an expert on all the different models.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #23
unitron

Quote:
I had a screen that said all that stuff, then it went off, and i am just waiting. The front of the unit says ready set Tivo, but no response from the remote or anything. I guess i just need to be patient. LIke i tell my son "Patience Grasshopper" I never got this far before BTW. I did not expand the drive, and i disabled the timer setting on HD. Seems different for sure. Thanks for all your help. Maybe i can return the favor someday.....if it works.
Just let it run and see what it looks like in the morning.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:55 AM   #24
Soapm

Quote:
Which one is smart enough to be able to run both, or all 3 with Linux. .
Guess which one doesn't need to run MAC? At least I've never missed it.

And that single mouse button is like wearing mittens. I'm a glove man.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #25
pablopsd

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
Guess which one doesn't need to run MAC? At least I've never missed it.

And that single mouse button is like wearing mittens. I'm a glove man.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:28 AM   #26
pablopsd

My caps are bulging, slightly. Never able to get back working again after clear and delete. There is a cluster of 3 near the heat sink, and 2 are slightly bulged on top. Soldering is easy for me, just need to get the right parts.
Hope that fixes things.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #27
shwru980r

It might be easier to buy a cheap unsubscribed S3 online, verify that it works and then swap out first the hard drives and then the power supplies with your Tivo.

This way you can start with a known functioning Tivo and then simultaneously make incremental changes to reproduce the issue on the new Tivo and resolve the issue on your old Tivo.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #28
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
My caps are bulging, slightly. Never able to get back working again after clear and delete. There is a cluster of 3 near the heat sink, and 2 are slightly bulged on top. Soldering is easy for me, just need to get the right parts.
Hope that fixes things.
Digi-Key is where I get mine. Good prices even for tiny orders; use USPS first class for shipping.
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:47 PM   #29
squint

Just don't add any lithium batteries or heatshrink tubing to your order. I ordered my Tivo capacitors along with a 4' length heatshrink tubing and it came in a 4' long box despite the order notes saying it was OK to fold or bend the tubing. They adjusted the shipping cost upwards significantly (I had selected first class mail).
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:03 AM   #30
unitron

Quote:
Hope that fixes things.
In this case the right parts are the same uF number, the same voltage or slightly higher, Low ESR (make sure it says that specifically) and a 105 Degree C rating.

If you're anywhere near Raleigh, I can refer you to a guy up there that can supply them.